Rodger Saffold

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Debacled

Starter
There's another quote I think by Saffold weeks ago when Goff first started of him saying he thought it didnt make sense to start Goff coming off a win. It seemed to me then that there was probably a division on the team, and there are players that were for Keenum and arent totally behind Goff. Its probably due to him being the number one pick, having all that publicity, suppose to save the team etc... Theyre reacting against that, and for Keenum who they like. I think those kind of players need to be traded. And Keenum does too or youll have this same kind of thing carry over into next season.

Everybody making mountains out of mole hills....tis the season.

So you tell me, the team is in position to still make a playoff push and is coming off a win. The team comes in saying they are going to start a rookie QB, which as we can all see, wasn't going to be the answer for a push THIS YEAR. Throwing a rookie QB in there was akin to waving the white flag on the season. Hell if we as fans perceived it as that I'd imagine players on the team, who are around him every day should know that right?

The team showed early promise. They made the Cards and Seahawks look silly, and beat a pretty good Tampa team. Mind you that was before a pretty ugly slide, but regardless it cannot sit well with players when they go into give Goff experience mode. Has nothing to do with Goff and everything to do with the season goal for the team.

The end of this season looked like the Rams from the end of Bulger till when Fisher got into town for what its worth. Another season, another wasted second half and looking forward to who needs to be cut and who to draft rather than focusing on winning games. That perpetual rebuilding mindset got the Rams nowhere, and it won't now either.

Rambo

UDFA
Everybody making mountains out of mole hills....tis the season.

So you tell me, the team is in position to still make a playoff push and is coming off a win. The team comes in saying they are going to start a rookie QB, which as we can all see, wasn't going to be the answer for a push THIS YEAR. Throwing a rookie QB in there was akin to waving the white flag on the season. Hell if we as fans perceived it as that I'd imagine players on the team, who are around him every day should know that right?

The team showed early promise. They made the Cards and Seahawks look silly, and beat a pretty good Tampa team. Mind you that was before a pretty ugly slide, but regardless it cannot sit well with players when they go into give Goff experience mode. Has nothing to do with Goff and everything to do with the season goal for the team.

The end of this season looked like the Rams from the end of Bulger till when Fisher got into town for what its worth. Another season, another wasted second half and looking forward to who needs to be cut and who to draft rather than focusing on winning games. That perpetual rebuilding mindset got the Rams nowhere, and it won't now either.
They had just won but it was after several losses in a row and I think they were already out of the playoffs. The offense was playing terrible with Keenum too. And I dont think its the kind of thing a player should say publicly in a locker room interview on video tape. It was the coach's decision so he should have accepted that and did his job to try to make it work and not undermine the coach and the confidence of the rookie QB.

EDIT: I just watched the whole locker room interview with Saffold and I have to admit I dont think what he said was bad. He actually seems pretty positive about Goff. That just goes to show how statements can be misleading when its just a clip and its out of context.

Last edited:

FRO

Legend
I'd say damn near everyone is happy with Britt's play overall this year. The team can't get desperate and over pay him when he's 28 with some mileage on him and he's not a team leader type guy. He gives his all and I would like to have him back at the right price. I am concerned about his shoulder though and the way he plays. Sometimes he needs to know when a play is over and protect himself better IMO.
So Britt comes to the Rams and says Tavon gets paid 10 million a year and I'm twice as productive give me a contract in that ballpark. What do you do?

FRO

Legend
They had just won but it was after several losses in a row and I think they were already out of the playoffs. The offense was playing terrible with Keenum too. And I dont think its the kind of thing a player should say publicly in a locker room interview on video tape. It was the coach's decision so he should have accepted that and did his job to try to make it work and not undermine the coach and the confidence of the rookie QB.

EDIT: I just watched the whole locker room interview with Saffold and I have to admit I dont think what he said was bad. He actually seems pretty positive about Goff. That just goes to show how statements can be misleading when its just a clip and its out of context.
That's the problem with reading quotes. You never get the full context and tone. Don't know how many fights start over texts messages where one party takes a text in the wrong tone.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
So Britt comes to the Rams and says Tavon gets paid 10 million a year and I'm twice as productive give me a contract in that ballpark. What do you do?

Bye Kenny. I offer something in the 5-7 Million range. Tavon is younger, more versatile and doesn't get into trouble off the field. If the rest of the team was in better shape you could dole out a bit more for Kenny. Just part of the business unfortunately.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I say, "Hey Kenny, I actually was going to call you. I'm going to go with Pierre Garcon. He's more proven and willing to sign for less than Tavon is getting. We appreciate everything you've done for the team."

Debacled

Starter

My primary point is just that, all the media crap that is getting spewed is ridiculous. I get it, it is LA so this is reality now, but this is beyond stupid sometimes. I feel like the sports reporters for the team and in that city are putting out TMZ alien conspiracy theory articles rather than reporting news on the team anymore. It seems everything is so cut up and spliced together to make better click bait its maddening.

tbux

Rookie
post whole quote before you criticize is the lesson here IMO. Saffold isn't an ahole, and if you follow the team long enough you know that. Totally taken out of context.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
post whole quote before you criticize is the lesson here IMO. Saffold isn't an ahole, and if you follow the team long enough you know that. Totally taken out of context.
Agreed. I'm not really fond of all the "he's a [cream puff, made of glass, china doll, etc]" criticisms either. It's not like he's out there trying to find new and inventive ways to get hurt. I mean, the dude does bench 450 lbs rather easily, and his dead-lift - squats are insane too. He's just got shitty luck. Against AZ he got his dome rocked and had to take a few plays off. As soon as it happened, people laid into him on all social media platforms saying he's a puss (in effect). Admittedly he does seem to get dinged up too much, but that's hardly reason to call him out as being less than a man. Guy's a monster. He just can't seem to catch a break on the health front.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
He just can't seem to catch a break on the health front.

I am not sure it's as much "a break", as it is some guys are just more durable than others. That's life. We're all like that.

Brett Favre was as iron man more so genetically, than heart, but we all saw the heart and assume thats how he's stayed on the field. But I think we all know it was more than that.

I admire Saffold. He's our longest tenured Ram and that means he's been a good NFL player. At the same time, he sure does go down a lot and you just never know when that happens how severe it is. It's a cruel game he's playing with us.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
I am not sure it's as much "a break", as it is some guys are just more durable than others. That's life. We're all like that.

Brett Favre was as iron man more so genetically, than heart, but we all saw the heart and assume thats how he's stayed on the field. But I think we all know it was more than that.

I admire Saffold. He's our longest tenured Ram and that means he's been a good NFL player. At the same time, he sure does go down a lot and you just never know when that happens how severe it is. It's a cruel game he's playing with us.
Well said, and yes he is a great guy and been a Ram for a long time. But if we surrounded our team with good guys who get hurt often that isn't helping us. I saw somebody say he started 15 games this year how can we say he's injury prone well he also was hurt in the first quarter of 3 games and missed the rest of them so really he missed 4 games.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Well, yeah - same thing (kinda). He'll probably forever be doomed to get injured, but it's not something he wants to happen. I'm only saying it's kind of odd to rail on the guy for actually getting injured. I mean, if I broke a finger, or got my dome rattled, or tore something in my shoulder, I'm pretty sure the response I'd least like to get is "You're worthless - you're made of glass" or "Man, fuck you - you can't stay healthy." Since when does a Ram, who puts his body on the line, and has been a decent player/teammate, deserve that kind of disdain?

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler

View: https://www.instagram.com/p/BOtarEnjgIM/

6dac02332de44ffeab482898b95906e4.jpeg

The fact that he feels the need to reply to a fan's comments tells me all I need to know with regards to where his head is. As a professional athlete, it must suck to be chewed alive by fans, but he should know better than to reply back. He needs to shut off his social media accounts and get to work.

I was once a big fan, but between his injuries and outbursts, I've had enough. Cut bait and install a new scheme that we can plug and play guys with attributes that fit the scheme. Our line is not good enough to didctate who we hire to guide them.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
The fact that he feels the need to reply to a fan's comments tells me all I need to know with regards to where his head is. As a professional athlete, it must suck to be chewed alive by fans, but he should know better than to reply back. He needs to shut off his social media accounts and get to work

The social media side of being an athlete (or anyone famous) must really be a double edge sword.

In one regard to interact with fans could be fun.

The other; some people are just out to get a response.

Part of me doesn't care for his response, but part of me likes the fact that he sticks up for himself. Either could be viewed negatively or positively depending on how you look at it.

I think I would avoid social media while an active athlete. The upside seems less than the downside. That would be my advice as an agent.

FRO

Legend
Agreed. I'm not really fond of all the "he's a [cream puff, made of glass, china doll, etc]" criticisms either. It's not like he's out there trying to find new and inventive ways to get hurt. I mean, the dude does bench 450 lbs rather easily, and his dead-lift - squats are insane too. He's just got crappy luck. Against AZ he got his dome rocked and had to take a few plays off. As soon as it happened, people laid into him on all social media platforms saying he's a puss (in effect). Admittedly he does seem to get dinged up too much, but that's hardly reason to call him out as being less than a man. Guy's a monster. He just can't seem to catch a break on the health front.
I wonder if he is too jacked up though. I think it may be tougher on his joints. The guy is a mountain of a man for sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I wonder if he is too jacked up though. I think it may be tougher on his joints. The guy is a mountain of a man for sure.
An interesting observation, because I've heard that theory before with other guys. He really is a physical monster when you see him standing next to other players. You'd think that would be something that would affect his knees more than anything else though. I don't know if being that jacked would make you tear something in your shoulder or make you more susceptible to concussions. Maybe he just isn't graceful enough. Lots of players know how to take hits and how to fall and how to use their leverage better. Maybe he's just too ... I dunno ... bullish.

FRO

Legend
An interesting observation, because I've heard that theory before with other guys. He really is a physical monster when you see him standing next to other players. You'd think that would be something that would affect his knees more than anything else though. I don't know if being that jacked would make you tear something in your shoulder or make you more susceptible to concussions. Maybe he just isn't graceful enough. Lots of players know how to take hits and how to fall and how to use their leverage better. Maybe he's just too ... I dunno ... bullish.
I don't know either. I'm not a doctor and Saffold probably is surrounded by people that know much more about that stuff than I. I think the guy is a solid player and very versatile. I don't think the Rams should cut him. I know I'm in the minority opinion on this board.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
The social media side of being an athlete (or anyone famous) must really be a double edge sword.

In one regard to interact with fans could be fun.

The other; some people are just out to get a response.

Part of me doesn't care for his response, but part of me likes the fact that he sticks up for himself. Either could be viewed negatively or positively depending on how you look at it.

I think I would avoid social media while an active athlete. The upside seems less than the downside. That would be my advice as an agent.

Agreed. If I'm his agent, or any player's agent for that matter, I would strongly suggest staying off of it during the season and during the leading weeks up to the start and following the season. It may be a lot to ask in today's day and age, but I'm 26 and make damn sure I don't post anything anywhere that would ever come back to bite me. If you take a look at his post, someone not knowing he's referring to the concussion may take his comment as a threat and BOOM lawsuit.

And FWIW living here in Patsie land, you NEVER hear things like this come out. I think the last time it happened was Spikes I believe with a sex tape. They stress player privacy here in New England. My buddy worked for their marketing team and got inside scoops, he told me they would have a hot blonde secretary of Kraft's (shocking lol) come in to see the players first about social media then all the staff, including marketing and other departments associated with the team. Not saying our Rams don't do this too, but it's clear some franchises stress it more than others.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Not saying our Rams don't do this too, but it's clear some franchises stress it more than others.

Good points, NERF. I would guess the Rams do.

They seem to have a really strong program preparing these kids for their large contracts (money pressures). But, social media? There may be some opportunity there, as I've always been a little turned off by some of the player comments (Jenkins particularly comes to mind).