Right out of Fisher's mouth Goff is ready

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
I don't think Fisher's decision is based solely on Goff's readiness. One thing all the other teams starting rookie QBs have in common, are their offensive lines are above average. Ours is not even average. He is hoping we can keep winning with Keenum as the sacrificial lamb while the o-line and the offence in general get their shit together.

except Cleveland.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Trying to look for other sources but can't find any.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The only stat that matters is W-L, and you don't mess with success. Dang, so many of you are so impatient. Goff will get his time. As long as the Rams are winning ( and stats be damned), leave it alone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The only stat that matters is W-L, and you don't mess with success. Dang, so many of you are so impatient. Goff will get his time. As long as the Rams are winning ( and stats be damned), leave it alone.

The Patriots are 3-1 without Brady. Should they not mess with success?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Patriots are 3-1 without Brady. Should they not mess with success?
Surely you see the difference in the two situations.
Goff =/= Brady
Goff, zero starts.
Brady, 223 starts.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
At 3-1, I don't know the answer.

What I do know is;
  • We are 32nd in offensive yards per game.
  • 30th in passing yards per game.
  • 30th in points per game.
So while we might be 3-1, let's not ignore the fact the offense isn't good enough right now.

Teams do not make the playoffs averaging 15.8 points per game.

If Goff can generate more offense, he should be starting.

Exactly! Goff can definitely generate more offense. And who knows, he may make our WR look pretty good in the process.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Surely you see the difference in the two situations.
Goff =/= Brady
Goff, zero starts.
Brady, 223 starts.

The Patriots are still messing with success. But we recognize that it's smart to do because Brady is a definitive upgrade.

But that's also been the point many posters made in this thread. You do mess with success if you think Goff is an upgrade.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Patriots are still messing with success. But we recognize that it's smart to do because Brady is a definitive upgrade.

But that's also been the point many posters made in this thread. You do mess with success if you think Goff is an upgrade.
Yeah, I understand all that, but comparing their situation to ours is a quantum leap.

If/when Goff is ready, he'll play. If/when he's the clear upgrade, he'll play.
I don't think Fisher has ever said he'll keep Goff off the field when it's clear he's ready to go.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
It makes perfect sense. Goff was a #1 overall pick. He's an incredible talent. The Rams traded up for him despite having Keenum on the roster. You don't make that move if you believe Keenum is your guy.

Goff is this team's guy. When he's ready, he should start. They moved up to take him because they believed he could take this team to a Super Bowl.

Yes jrry this will be Goffs team for many years to come. You can't deny though that Keenum has improved every single week. I think too many people get caught up with Goffs #1 overall pick status.

Keenum and the team laid a big turd in week 1. Since then? 229 passing per game, 4-1 TD-INT, 21 ppg, 3-0 record.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes jrry this will be Goffs team for many years to come. You can't deny though that Keenum has improved every single week. I think too many people get caught up with Goffs #1 overall pick status.

Keenum and the team laid a big turd in week 1. Since then? 229 passing per game, 4-1 TD-INT, 21 ppg, 3-0 record.

But Keenum's improvement still isn't enough. The offense still isn't scoring enough. We scored 9, 17, and 30. That's one game out of four where we scored more than 20 points.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I don't think Fisher's decision is based solely on Goff's readiness. One thing all the other teams starting rookie QBs have in common, are their offensive lines are above average. Ours is not even average. He is hoping we can keep winning with Keenum as the sacrificial lamb while the o-line and the offence in general get their crap together.

except Cleveland.
I believe there is some truth to this.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
But Keenum's improvement still isn't enough. The offense still isn't scoring enough. We scored 9, 17, and 30. That's one game out of four where we scored more than 20 points.

So you don't think we can improve still? There has been no running game whatsoever. I would like to see how the offense looks once that gets going.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you don't think we can improve still? There has been no running game whatsoever. I would like to see how the offense looks once that gets going.

Can we improve? Sure. Do I think Keenum improves? Probably not. That Arizona game is likely his ceiling. I'm expecting some regression against Buffalo.

I think our best opportunity to improve is getting the #1 pick in at QB.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
Can we improve? Sure. Do I think Keenum improves? Probably not. That Arizona game is likely his ceiling. I'm expecting some regression against Buffalo.

I think our best opportunity to improve is getting the #1 pick in at QB.
I guess we'll find out soon enough.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It bothers me because it tells us exactly what Fisher's philosophy is. Rookie QBs shouldn't start early on. Rather than focusing on the success those guys had, he came up with a justification of why they're playing.

That's a bit stretchy for me.

All this means is that he is pointing out that 2 of these guys wouldn't be playing if not for injury and the third is playing because of TWO injuries. Not talking about how they are playing doesn't mean a lot since he was being asked about the Rams.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
I don't think Fisher's decision is based solely on Goff's readiness. One thing all the other teams starting rookie QBs have in common, are their offensive lines are above average. Ours is not even average. He is hoping we can keep winning with Keenum as the sacrificial lamb while the o-line and the offence in general get their crap together.

except Cleveland.
Good Point and Welcome to ROD

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
It bothers me because it tells us exactly what Fisher's philosophy is. Rookie QBs shouldn't start early on. Rather than focusing on the success those guys had, he came up with a justification of why they're playing.

Pure speculation on your part.Just because Fisher has done that in the past doesn't mean
he is bound to do it the same way every time.If Goff was lighting it up in training camp,had a firm grasp of the
offense and the oline was performing well,then we probably see him starting sooner.Those things didn't happen.

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Reporter-Earthquake-scared-gif.gif
I'd rather have a Ram win, wouldn't you?

Bruce2980

Starter
I really don't care what any retired anyone thinks to be honest.

My position is that the team is winning with Keenum at QB and you just don't mess with that. Especially the QB with a guy who has never taken a snap and by all accounts from the coaching staff was not ready to play at the beginning of the year.

When he is ready, he will play and I hope he is great. But right now Keenum and the rest of the team is getting done and getting better each week.
It would take some large brass balls to start Goff over Keenum the way things are going right now I agree, and as conservative as Fisher is that probably is not going to happen, but........if Goff is a clear upgrade to the position it's time to throw him in.

Last edited: