Re: OL Coach

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Kromer came up in the NFL as the OL Coach under Bill Callahan and Jon Gruden in Oakland. He then followed Gruden to Tampa after Callahan was fired by Oakland. After Gruden was fired by Tampa, Kromer ended up with the Saints. He left the Saints when Marc Trestman made him his OL Coach and Offensive Coordinator in Chicago. Kromer then left Chicago to go to Buffalo (who's OL was #1 in yards before contact this year in the running game) after Trestman was fired.

In New Orleans, he developed Jahri Evans and Carl Nicks into All Pros. He also developed Jermon Bushrod into a good LT, and a number of other guys into solid or quality starters. Here's a quote from his wiki:
Under his tenure as OL coach, the Saints sent five players to a combined nine Pro Bowls, and tied for the fewest sacks in the league with 96.

Where he differs from Bill Callahan (one of his mentors) is that he seems to prefer to run the PBS. He's one of the top OL Coaches in the game.

A lateral move, really? Do you have an NFL coach hierarchy list or link? Not that I don't believe you but I would like to see one.

Every move is considered a lateral move by the NFL except assistant coach to head coach.

EDIT: Somebody beat me to it. It's counter-intuitive, Billy, but I think they do it because teams would try to poach top assistants by making up positions for them if the NFL tried to make a hierarchy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
going from OLine coach to OC is not a promotion per NFL rules. It's a lateral move.
Is this^ right!?! I believe you, but I don't see it that way myself! It sure seems like a promotion to me!!

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm pretty sure Kromer is available, too, which is why @jrry32 and I are so high on us getting him and have been since it looked like Rex might get fired.

Kromer would be a HUGE get. Just...YUUUUGE.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'm pretty sure Kromer is available, too, which is why @jrry32 and I are so high on us getting him and have been since it looked like Rex might get fired.

I didn't know that Kromer was available. I wonder if it's possible that we could hire him.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?

Isn't Kromer the guy who punched a kid in the face and threatened to kill the kid's family??? :palm:

jap

Legend
I didn't know that Kromer was available. I wonder if it's possible that we could hire him.

Sure! We just send Sean McVey, Wade Phillips, Jared Goff, Todd Gurley, and Tavon Austin to see him.

Sean: "Wade is my DC, and these are my offensive stars. We want you to coredinate this offense and build an OL that will allow us to set this whole league on fire so we can party like it's 1999 once more! Will you come aboard the U.S.S. Horns?"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't Kromer the guy who punched a kid in the face and threatened to kill the kid's family??? :palm:

Exactly. We need that sort of aggression and mean streak instilled in our OLs. ;)

Correct. He is available. McDermott hired Juan Castillo as his running game coordinator. We need to snatch up Kromer or another top tier OL Coach.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Exactly. We need that sort of aggression and mean streak instilled in our OLs. ;)

Correct. He is available. McDermott hired Juan Castillo as his running game coordinator. We need to snatch up Kromer or another top tier OL Coach.
I know your just kidding but the guy's a nut. He punched a like 15 year old in the face for moving his beach chair and then threatened to kill his family if he told anyone. This was just a year or so ago. I can't root for an ahole like that, sorry.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I know your just kidding but the guy's a nut. He punched a like 15 year old in the face for moving his beach chair and then threatened to kill his family if he told anyone. This was just a year or so ago. I can't root for an ahole like that, sorry.

I didn't realize he'd done that. Doesn't sound like the staff that McVay's putting together.

So, probably not, then.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If they can't develop a line McVay will fail. It's crucial they hire the right guy for that job.

True. That being said, having a coherent offensive scheme by somebody who knows WTF he's doing will go a long way to developing a line.

FRO

Legend
True. That being said, having a coherent offensive scheme by somebody who knows WTF he's doing will go a long way to developing a line.
Agreed. Just hope some of the young talent is salvageable because if not the Rams are in trouble.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Hawt damn...

It's nice that the words "coherent offensive scheme" now make people happy, rather than start an argument...

Let the Good Times Roll!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I didn't realize he'd done that. Doesn't sound like the staff that McVay's putting together.

So, probably not, then.

We need a man to teach this OL no mercy. "Hey Greg, remember the 15-year old who stole my...err...your beach chair? KILL HIM. KILL HIM NOW!" :LOL:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Still waiting on the naming of OL coach. Gotta get this one right. If the OL doesn't get fixed, none of the speculated improvement on offense will happen.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We need a man to teach this OL no mercy. "Hey Greg, remember the 15-year old who stole my...err...your beach chair? KILL HIM. KILL HIM NOW!" :LOL:
Meh. I don't know that I'd be impressed with an O-line that can intimidate a 15 year old.
Or one that makes it its goal. :cautious:

…..

Legend
Meh. I don't know that I'd be impressed with an O-line that can intimidate a 15 year old.
Or one that makes it its goal. :cautious:

yeah....but its a start!

frig him... that friggin little bastard....

PARAM

Hall of Fame
If they can't develop a line McVay will fail. It's crucial they hire the right guy for that job.

If they couldn't develop an offensive line Lombardi would have failed. Which means, you are absolutely correct.