Rams to sign QB John Wolford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry but this is just a silly stance. When was the last time they needed to draft a QB? Oh Goff and haven't had a need to since so yeah obviously they haven't drafted one. Oh but wait they could use one this year so what do you know.

View: https://twitter.com/DowntownRams/status/1116572142160629761

HUH They've met with 6 this off season.

1st rd OL,DL, CB
3rd & 3rd same & add TE & LB
4th same add a safety

There is no room for a QB

What offensive player do The Rams draft ??
OL & TE I don’t see much else as a need.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You spelled "Drew Lock" wrong.

I’ll give you that !!! I don’t see him making to 31 or The Rams trading up to get him.

It would be excellent for a rookie QB to learn from Bortles. I think Wolford is the guy. I think McVay see’s a little bit of himself in him.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So, do you think we don't use any draft capital on a QB this season?

It always depends how things fall... but I think this team is a few draft picks short of where it would like to be, to begin with.

So, for this draft, I don’t think we have the draft capital to use on a long shot QB.

It just feels there is higher priority to fill out the roster depth in other places.

As always, just IMO.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Perfect !!! What else do you need ?? He beats out Allen & gets a better chance next season.

That’s called trying to develop a QB. He brings
a Russell Wilson,Murray, & dude from Baltimore type element to the practice squad as well. I think Allen is also out of options on being on the practice Squad ?? Which I’m not totally sure of the rules of hand ??
Yeah, Allen is likely done with the Rams. And if Wolford is the #3 and #2 in the making? I’m all for it. However, it doesn’t mean the Rams don’t draft a qb.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
1st rd OL,DL, CB
3rd & 3rd same & add TE & LB
4th same add a safety

There is no room for a QB

What offensive player do The Rams draft ??
OL & TE I don’t see much else as a need.
Great you don't see the need, I didn't realize you were McVay or Snead. They obviously see the need or potential need of more than just OL and TE. As for your other comment about no QB's worth drafting and no need same thing applies. Regarding Wolford signing it's pretty obvious why they did it and has been pointed out countless times in this and other threads.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yeah, Allen is likely done with the Rams. And if Wolford is the #3 and #2 in the making? I’m all for it. However, it doesn’t mean the Rams don’t draft a qb.

I think it is a weak QB draft class & The Rams have to many needs. Having Bortles is huge.
Wolford has as much skills as much skills as any of the late rd QB’s & has been through the process.He already has NFL type experience.

That is my thought process & Les Snead is pretty predictable on his concepts as well.

There are a lot of Ram coaches who have needs.Pleasant is one of them.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Great you don't see the need, I didn't realize you were McVay or Snead. They obviously see the need or potential need of more than just OL and TE. As for your other comment about no QB's worth drafting and no need same thing applies. Regarding Wolford signing it's pretty obvious why they did it and has been pointed out countless times in this and other threads.

Looks like The Rams really draft & wanted another QB with Bortles on the cheap ???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Covering the second point first - The Rams drafted Mannion, then Goff the next season. They've had no reason to draft somebody, especially since McVay was wanting to rebuild the roster. He has done that substantially, AND Mannion is gone now. They have Bortles for a season, thanks to Jacksonville paying him $5.5 million making him very inexpensive for a vet backup.

But as @OldSchool has pointed out (and others including myself in this thread have pointed out) the Rams are interviewing QBs. They have an interest in one.

You seem to be assuming that the Rams are stupid - that they can't tell the difference between a camp body and an actual prospect. They can - and Snead and McVay do know how expensive it would be to find a decent vet backup. Hence the need to develop a young guy to backup. It saves enough cap space to sign or keep a good but not great starter at many positions. Between that common sense realization, and the fact that they are interviewing a number of QBs, tells me that they want another QB to develop.

Maybe they don't find one - maybe everybody they like gets picked too early for their tastes. But they ARE looking - the interviews, the fact they just lost their inexpensive backup and lucked out in finding a one year signing tells most of us that they are looking.

Why didn't they look before? They were building up the rest of the lineup, and didn't need to before last season. Last year they drafted 11 guys, and spent the season developing them. Now is the time to bring in the backup QB of the future. They could wait forever, hoping they get lucky with a UDFA - but that hasn't exactly worked so far. Allen is a weak backup - he hasn't shown anything, and no team was interested in him when he was cut last season. Wolford had no interest in him for a practice squad last season, and was tied for fourth in QBs being signed from the AAF - not a ringing endorsement, since the AAF was full of players that no team wanted on their practice squad. Neither Allen nor Wolford are likely to stand in the way of the Rams pursuing another player. This is the NFL. every single team every single offseason signs players, and ends up cutting some of them not just before training camp, but sometimes before even any post-draft runthrough. This is normal - sign some kid just in case you don't get what you want later on. The signing bonuses are small and insignificant compared to the cap - basically rounding errors.

Like I said earlier, The Rams will always do there homework in players,especially at QB.
If a QB gets released they will have had a relationship & knowledge of a position of such importance.
To ask if this is my first draft. LOL !!!
It’s all fun, but after the dust has settled the truth is the truth !!
At 31 who were The Rams going to draft at QB ??? Look at what The Giants did ??

The Rams didn’t even want Lock !!! Traded out & away from there.The depth in this years QB class was WEAK !!

The Rams had a lot of needs & worked The Draft well. The Most Important Need was Finding Value at OL & McVay Getting his 3rd Down Back & Weapon.He had a Couple Coaches Workout RB’s Privately SonGuys that think they are in the Know Don’t Know !!!

They got Henderson at a Value spot without teams being able to read there need !!!

Remember what Snead always says about Draft Leading up to them. Don’t always believe what is said & done.

I will say The Rams Franchise has done an excellent Job Drafting since Snead has been a Ram ,especially after Jeff Fisher was FIRED !!

With pay :-( sad some worthy players just get realeased (cut)putting in blood & hard sweat without pay.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looks like The Rams really draft & wanted another QB with Bortles on the cheap ???
dwight.gif

Oh look a child playing the I told you so game how wonderful for all of us you're here! It's obvious they did the work on several QB's leading up to the draft not even you can deny that. They did work on a lot of positions they didn't end up drafting some you insisted we had to have including ILB and Center. Shall we go back and make I told you so posts about anything you thought might happen and didn't? As has been shown many times they did work on QB's, signed one from the failed league already and even after that signing did more work on QB's. Thinking it was a possibility that one was drafted isn't some far fetched idea I'm not sure why you're throwing your shoulder out of joint patting yourself on the back.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Like I said earlier, The Rams will always do there homework in players,especially at QB.
If a QB gets released they will have had a relationship & knowledge of a position of such importance.
To ask if this is my first draft. LOL !!!
It’s all fun, but after the dust has settled the truth is the truth !!
At 31 who were The Rams going to draft at QB ??? Look at what The Giants did ??

The Rams didn’t even want Lock !!! Traded out & away from there.The depth in this years QB class was WEAK !!

The Rams had a lot of needs & worked The Draft well. The Most Important Need was Finding Value at OL & McVay Getting his 3rd Down Back & Weapon.He had a Couple Coaches Workout RB’s Privately SonGuys that think they are in the Know Don’t Know !!!

They got Henderson at a Value spot without teams being able to read there need !!!

Remember what Snead always says about Draft Leading up to them. Don’t always believe what is said & done.

I will say The Rams Franchise has done an excellent Job Drafting since Snead has been a Ram ,especially after Jeff Fisher was FIRED !!

With pay :-( sad some worthy players just get realeased (cut)putting in blood & hard sweat without pay.

Really, the last bad picks the Rams have made were Robinson in 14' and Austin in 13'.

I define a bad as picks made in rounds 1-3, maybe even the 4th, where a player could not contribute to a basic level of what his peers do.

Rams have killed it in the first 3 rounds the last 5 yrs. Maybe Jamon Brown was disappointing, but he still started on a division winner and was just beat out by another young player who played well... And he is still in the league.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This is a long and senseless thread about some longshot back up QB.

What have we become without football?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
dwight.gif

Oh look a child playing the I told you so game how wonderful for all of us you're here! It's obvious they did the work on several QB's leading up to the draft not even you can deny that. They did work on a lot of positions they didn't end up drafting some you insisted we had to have including ILB and Center. Shall we go back and make I told you so posts about anything you thought might happen and didn't? As has been shown many times they did work on QB's, signed one from the failed league already and even after that signing did more work on QB's. Thinking it was a possibility that one was drafted isn't some far fetched idea I'm not sure why you're throwing your shoulder out of joint patting yourself on the back.

Didn’t think a ss with there first pick for sure, but the trade back work real well. Not sure where you came up with a center ?? Think The Rams are solid there. Nearing Is a player I still like at Center. He is to light for a guard.

Keep on the QB Perch !! I think Jared Goff is a McVay guy. Will see what the cap hit will be with him. Maybe The Rams should just trade up next year to get the QB from Oregon ?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Really, the last bad picks the Rams have made were Robinson in 14' and Austin in 13'.

I define a bad as picks made in rounds 1-3, maybe even the 4th, where a player could not contribute to a basic level of what his peers do.

Rams have killed it in the first 3 rounds the last 5 yrs. Maybe Jamon Brown was disappointing, but he still started on a division winner and was just beat out by another young player who played well... And he is still in the league.

It’s nice to see the players growth. Makes being a Ram fan fun. Jamon just signed a new deal, as well as Greg Robinson. They could both be in the NFL for another 5 plus years.
Young offensive lineman can take awhile to develop. Kromer is so much better than what’s his name ? Who left to Atlanta only to comeback & mess up the offensive line again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
FWIW I was right about the Los Angeles Rams not drafting a Kicker or Punter!
giphy.gif

They didn’t even bring in a long snapper again this year. Funny how an udfa Punter takes a paycut to help pay for a play to be signed long term ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Talk about a know it all ??? McVay or Snead !! Great reply. I enjoy your post , but not sure about your attack on a point that was pretty fairly made. I was wrong about The Rams Offensive Line last season with What’s his name Williams. Demby got cut as well, so only having 7 Offensive Lineman on game day was shocking. I did Believe in The Big 5 the season before hand.
Will injuries play a role ?? I’m not a big Austin Blythe fan as a starting guard.I think protecting Goff is a key to success.Not so much a 3rd/4th string QB.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
They didn’t even bring in a long snapper again this year.

I think they will for training camp and most likely a Kicker that can punt too. I would only allow Greg Zuerlein to kick very sparingly in Preseason and Practice. Also somebody other than Sam Ficken as well.