Rams to sign QB John Wolford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
3B95065C-F4FC-4407-A620-FCC3DC4B0511.jpeg
E67EDBB1-BF6D-424E-8DFB-6CB1CAC61CA3.jpeg

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There is no way The Rams hold on to 3 QBs for a roster spot. Make all the there is you can.

Yeah, they haven't had 3 QBs on the roster since - last season. And that was with Allen, not somebody that McVay drafted to develop.

The Rams are now at the stage where they are hopefully perpetual Super Bowl contenders. Part of that is the team has to have a real backup QB in case of a short term injury, so that a relatively minor QB injury doesn't shaft the whole season. They had never looked at a vet QB before, but thanks to circumstances and opportunity they signed Bortles for one season. But such an opportunity is unlikely to repeat next season without spending big money. Most are viewing the 2019 draft as mostly drafting to fill needs for 2020 - just as most of the 2018 draft was more drafting for 2019 and beyond. One of the major roster needs is drafting a backup QB for after Bortles is gone.

Now the Rams have lots of future needs, and some big salary increases coming - but McVay knows (especially after this last season) that rookies are not always ready their first season. He IS looking for a guy to develop, based on interviews. Perhaps the right guy won't fall to them - they won't draft just to draft. But McVay needs and apparently knows he needs to find somebody to develop. Maybe it turns out that it's somebody the Rams already have - but McVay isn't stupid, and won't believe that there isn't somebody better out there, that other lesser coaches haven't missed. They've been interviewing QBs, and that's not just for the heck of it.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Practice squad player with legs. Makes sense with Wilson and potentially Murray in the division.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Preseason's gonna be fun this year. Probably a camp arm, yeah, and he's gonna have a late round QB added to the mix too. Key's gonna be featuring the F out of Bortles in the hopes some team will pay him well enough to help us out with the comp picks loooool.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The big difference is Mannion was not picked by McVay.

And don't forget the WCO has always favored guys who can move well. They don't have to be Steve Young or anything, but just an ability to boot it out and move well is something that Mannion didn't bring; the dude ran like Mike Scioschia lol.

Where McVay takes a bit different of an approach from the classic WCO is the way he likes to stretch the field deep. So if they do draft a guy this year mid to late rounds I expect him to have at least enough arm, probably a raw type who can move well too. I think the fit is Manny Wilkins, the kid from Arizona St. Someone like that.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...st-alliance-american-football-aaf/2839644002/

A quarterback took the Alliance of American Football by storm Sunday night with his dazzling throws and accuracy in the team's win over the Salt Lake Stallions at Sun Devil Stadium.

It just wasn't the quarterback people expected.

John Wolford, a former Wake Forest standout, shined in his first game with the Arizona Hotshots, leading the team to a 38-22 win.

Wolford had been almost an afterthought leading up to the game, with former Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knight being the player the Hotshots selected with the team's top pick in the AAF's "Protect or Pick" quarterback draft and was Arizona's presumed starter.

But the unheralded Wolford, beat out Knight and went out to throw for four touchdowns and 275 yards to spark the Hotshots' first victory.

“I swear to God, it’s like a repeating cycle,” Wolford told the Winston-Salem Journal prior to the opener. “The biggest thing that you learn in camp is being able to be consistent. Just to go out every day and do the right thing every single time, and that’s how you win jobs. So, I have some experience in that arena.”

Wolford, who won the starting quarterback job at Wake Forest as a freshman, finished his time Demon Deacons with 8,794 career yards passing and 59 touchdowns and had 19 more rushing scores.

And then, on Sunday, he repeatedly shredded the Stallions’ secondary on 18-of-29 passing.

“It's exciting. You're part of a start-up, everything is a first,” Wolford said after the game. “Every pass is the first pass, the first completion, the first touchdown. So it's fun.

“I thought the league has done a great job so far. Everything is extremely well run and we had some good football tonight so it's something to be proud of.”

9e9e04f2-3d1b-4e28-921b-be5845533fde-wolford.jpg

A handful of teams in the AAF were already interested in him and when he eventually was released by the Jets, the Hotshots were able to sign him.

He was the star of the night in Tempe, to be sure.

His performance against the Stallions turned heads on social media:
azcentral sports' Bob McManaman contributed to this story.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY!!!

Forget about about Gurleys blown out knee and our oline in disarray due to losing 2 veterens, we have a real problem here folks!

Haven't figured out blue font on my phone

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
So, do you think we don't use any draft capital on a QB this season?

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I expect the rams to go back to the SB and Goff to be starting every game so it could be hard for bortles to prove he can find a new starting gig, especially given this and next years qb crop.

So despite it looking like a one year revival project, it may be a 2 year rental

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The big difference is Mannion was not picked by McVay.

I would trust McVay's opinion to spot a developmental prospect QB over Fisher's.

Not to mention this staff's ability to develop a raw quarterback.

Well I would have thought if McVay was so high on a QB he would have got rid of Mannion & drafted a QB ??

I don’t see The Rams going in that direction with so many needs & Blake Bortles, plus Mcvay has Allen in for his 3rd year ? Why ??

I have to see it to believe it. This draft, no way.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I would have thought if McVay was so high on a QB he would have got rid of Mannion & drafted a QB ??

I don’t see The Rams going in that direction with so many needs & Blake Bortles, plus Mcvay has Allen in for his 3rd year ? Why ??

There are always needs. They have spent the past two seasons building up the rest of the roster. He saw with the Redskins the importance of having a backup.

Now, if the guys they want just get drafted earlier than expected - that's one thing. But it would be idiotic not to be looking at QBs. They have gone from a team that never contended to a contender to a conference champ. They know that they need a QB backup to help keep them at this level. And that while Bortles fell in their lap - that doesn't happen most seasons.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

He was so high on a qb. That qb is Jared Goff.
They weren’t going to spend time developing 2 qb.
I think they like the #2 qb on the cheap rookie contract. So having Bortles for 1 year let’s a rookie almost learn by osmosis for a year.
I’d be surprised if they didn’t draft a qb this year.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think they like the #2 qb on the cheap rookie contract. So having Bortles for 1 year let’s a rookie almost learn by osmosis for a year.
Yeah the only way I don't see a QB drafted late is if he really likes Wolford and thinks he can get the same out of him as a draft pick.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

Well, there are certainly a lot of ways of looking at the situation.

Maybe he thought he could develop out Mannion but couldn't.

I don't see them investing a high draft pick but maybe a middle round pick for someone they *hope* to develop out.

It's almost in McVay's nature as a former quarterback himself.

Plus, you have to have somebody that can come off the bench and win a couple of games in case of injury.

I'm not sure if Allen or Wolford is that guy.
Bortles gives us a year to develop a guy drafted this year.
I'll definitely trust McVay on this one too.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
There are always needs. They have spent the past two seasons building up the rest of the roster. He saw with the Redskins the importance of having a backup.

Now, if the guys they want just get drafted earlier than expected - that's one thing. But it would be idiotic not to be looking at QBs. They have gone from a team that never contended to a contender to a conference champ. They know that they need a QB backup to help keep them at this level. And that while Bortles fell in their lap - that doesn't happen most seasons.

Exactly , your making my point !!

If a guy like Lock falls in the 3rd rd then maybe he does it. I can blast your points later, unless you agree there is always far fetch scenarios .

Russell Wilson, Cousins, Dak Prescott’s yes you have to draft. There is always a value point.I can not question those types of draft picks.
There is no way The Rams are looking to draft a QB this season though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

LMAO — that is hilarious!!!

McVay keeps Mannion around his first 2 seasons & now they want a QB in the cheap ?? They have that already. How does the 53 work ???

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, there are certainly a lot of ways of looking at the situation.

Maybe he thought he could develop out Mannion but couldn't.

I don't see them investing a high draft pick but maybe a middle round pick for someone they *hope* to develop out.

It's almost in McVay's nature as a former quarterback himself.

Plus, you have to have somebody that can come off the bench and win a couple of games in case of injury.

I'm not sure if Allen or Wolford is that guy.
Bortles gives us a year to develop a guy drafted this year.
I'll definitely trust McVay on this one too.

Of course you trust McVay & Les Snead!!

That is my point !! I trust McVay sees something in Wolford that he likes. He had Perez last season with zero experience. Where is he now ???

In fact look at the highlights & style Wolford brings ?? I think he sees a little bit of himself there. Maybe at some point he can run the option ??! Maybe he helps game plan for Baltimore or Even New Orleans type QBs ??

That is the way I see it. He has had 2 years with Allen as well to develop just like Mannion.
Mannion did sign with the Vikings.

When was the last time The Rams draft a QB under Les Snead ??