Rams to sign QB John Wolford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
I know we’re only seeing the highlights, but he seems to be an accurate passer who knows how to throw the ball where the receiver wants it to allow him to maintain momentum. Not bad for a camp body. Plus, he’s got legs, and he knows how to use them.:rockon:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
SONOFA!!!!!! ~Johnny Manziel (and a couple others!)

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
camp body - but the Rams need somebody in case of an injury knocking somebody out for a few days. Was one of the top QBs in the AAF - but that's not saying a lot. Can run a little.

I still expect the Rams to draft a QB to develop.

No Freaking way !!! Since when have The Rams done that ???? Mannion ??

I’d be floored if they did !! Gilbert still in the league. Not a bad pick by Snead from smu if I recall right.

MrRiceGuyRJ

Let's Make the Rams Great Again
Name
RJ
Not a bad pick by Snead from smu if I recall right.

giphy.gif

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I’d be floored if they did !! Gilbert still in the league. Not a bad pick by Snead from smu if I recall right.

The Rams had Mannion and were building up the team. Since then though decent vet backup QBs salaries have skyrocketed - unless you luck out and have their old team be paying them a large amount. That's unlikely to happen again. If the right guy falls to the Rams I expect McVay preferring to develop him than need to pay somebody big money from 2020-2022. And have a chance of getting a better comp pick back than the Rams used to get the guy in the first place.

Gilbert looked good in the AAF. Before that he has bounced all over the NFL, mostly on practice squads. He didn't even last a full season on the Rams practice squad.

If the Rams trade down, I wouldn't be shocked if a 4th was used on a QB that McVay likes.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If the Rams trade down, I wouldn't be shocked if a 4th was used on a QB that McVay likes

I would be, they really should not waste a pick on a QB or WR in this draft. Maybe this guy will be the next rags to riches story,(Kurt Warner anyone).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

When was the last time you saw Allen throw ?? To me he is a horrible QB .
Wolford brings a different option at the QB position as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams had Mannion and were building up the team. Since then though decent vet backup QBs salaries have skyrocketed - unless you luck out and have their old team be paying them a large amount. That's unlikely to happen again. If the right guy falls to the Rams I expect McVay preferring to develop him than need to pay somebody big money from 2020-2022. And have a chance of getting a better comp pick back than the Rams used to get the guy in the first place.

Gilbert looked good in the AAF. Before that he has bounced all over the NFL, mostly on practice squads. He didn't even last a full season on the Rams practice squad.

If the Rams trade down, I wouldn't be shocked if a 4th was used on a QB that McVay likes.

When you see a sign like Wolford you can cross that off your Xmas list. You got what you got. It’s a tell that he is a better option than anyone The Rams can get late in the draft.

Will can reproach this come end of The month.Being only 2 plus weeks away (3)

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would be, they really should not waste a pick on a QB or WR in this draft. Maybe this guy will be the next rags to riches story,(Kurt Warner anyone).

Wouldn't be a waste. Having a backup who can fill in without being horrible is a necessity in the NFL. But vet signings tend to be expensive. Developing a guy who can do the job decently after a year could save a season for the Rams, as well as millions of dollars per season in cap space.

I mean, I'm sure they like Woldford enough that if he surprised them, he could make it onto their practice squad. Keep in mind he was a UDFA last year, and when cut didn't make it onto any team's practice squad though. And while he looked solid enough in the AAF, he was what - the 3rd or 4th QB signed out of the league?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When you see a sign like Wolford you can cross that off your Xmas list. You got what you got. It’s a tell that he is a better option than anyone The Rams can get late in the draft.

Will can reproach this come end of The month.Being only 2 plus weeks away (3)

Well, no, it's a tell that they want a camp arm or two. Signing somebody to a rookie contract with likely a minimal signing bonus does not preclude taking a real prospect in the draft. Keep in mind that Wolford was a UDFA last year who was cut and not signed to any practice squad all season. He was not one of the highly pursued AAF free agents either. Multiple other AAF QBs have been signed before him. Heck - Luis Perez who was not stellar in the Rams' camp last year was signed before him. He's an arm - and teams will always look at deep depth there, just in case. Maybe he's greatly improved in a year - but I doubt the Rams are gambling that's the case.

And maybe nobody that McVay has his eye on will fall to the Rams - that happens. Maybe when it comes up, somebody at another position that McVay loves will be available and a serious bargain. But the Rams have interviewed at least 4 qbs, all of whom are likely to be better than Wolford. There are likely others that haven't been reported (i.e., the Rams went to their pro day, but not reported that the Rams spoke to the QB, which is not always public).

And what is the fun in waiting until after the Rams' draft to discuss options?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I like his escapability. A backup QB should be able to use his legs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well, no, it's a tell that they want a camp arm or two. Signing somebody to a rookie contract with likely a minimal signing bonus does not preclude taking a real prospect in the draft. Keep in mind that Wolford was a UDFA last year who was cut and not signed to any practice squad all season. He was not one of the highly pursued AAF free agents either. Multiple other AAF QBs have been signed before him. Heck - Luis Perez who was not stellar in the Rams' camp last year was signed before him. He's an arm - and teams will always look at deep depth there, just in case. Maybe he's greatly improved in a year - but I doubt the Rams are gambling that's the case.

And maybe nobody that McVay has his eye on will fall to the Rams - that happens. Maybe when it comes up, somebody at another position that McVay loves will be available and a serious bargain. But the Rams have interviewed at least 4 qbs, all of whom are likely to be better than Wolford. There are likely others that haven't been reported (i.e., the Rams went to their pro day, but not reported that the Rams spoke to the QB, which is not always public).

And what is the fun in waiting until after the Rams' draft to discuss options?

Braden Allen is in his third year. I think Wolford might even beat him out, because he could be a practice squad guy.

There is no way The Rams hold on to 3 QBs for a roster spot. Make all the there is you can.

Give me an example when the Rams of last Draft a QB. Why are they gonna start this season and they have Blake Bortles is well.

You think Jared Goff is going anywhere. Ha ha ha

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2019/...ransactions-signings-jared-goff-blake-bortles

Los Angeles Rams to sign QB John Wolford

The Rams are signing their first AAF alum.

usa_today_12283919.0.jpg

The Rams intend to sign QB John Wolford, per source. Wolford most recently played for the Arizona Hotshots in the AAF. He becomes third QB on Rams roster behind Jared Goff and Blake Bortles.

— Lindsey Thiry (@LindseyThiry) April 10, 2019
Wolford played his college ball at Wake Forest before going undrafted in the 2018 NFL Draft and joining the New York Jets and being cut in the 53-man roster purge. Recently, he played in the now defunct AAF for the Arizona Hotshots.

Wolford will get a shot at a QB3 role against Brandon Allen over the offseason program with Jared Goff locked in at QB1 and Blake Bortles behind him.

Fans may remember his uncle, Will Worford, for his stellar offensive line play as a first-round pick in the 1986 NFL Draft and three subsequent Pro Bowl appearances in the 1990s.

His only action for the Jets was in their final preseason game last year where he really struggled. Hopefully, the game action he got in the AAF has helped him develop a bit and get to a point where he could legitimately push for a spot.

Last year’s QB3 battle was between Allen and Luis Perez who himself went into the AAF and has since signed with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

The big difference is Mannion was not picked by McVay.

I would trust McVay's opinion to spot a developmental prospect QB over Fisher's.

Not to mention this staff's ability to develop a raw quarterback.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
QUARTERBACK CONTROVERSY!!!

Forget about about Gurleys blown out knee and our oline in disarray due to losing 2 veterens, we have a real problem here folks!