Rams to sign QB John Wolford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LMAO — that is hilarious!!!

McVay keeps Mannion around his first 2 seasons & now they want a QB in the cheap ?? They have that already. How does the 53 work ???
Mannion was cheap.
And replaceable.
So he’s replaced.
And now they can groom another “Mannion”
That’s funny? Ok.
Glad I could help

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I think this is a strong draft for a developmental QB. That certainly is not a common thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I guess they interviewed a bunch of them at the Shrine and Senior Bowls for the heck of it.

Well I guess they just signed Woolford’s for the heck of it as well after talking to all those players. That’s my case in point. It’s a towel why not just wait to sign Woolford after the draft. How much was the contract guaranteed . That may be a better point for the both of us.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well I guess they just signed Woolford’s for the heck of it as well after talking to all those players. That’s my case in point. It’s a towel why not just wait to sign Woolford after the draft. How much was the contract guaranteed . That may be a better point for the both of us.

Signing camp arms is routine. Done every season. Best case for him - if they don't have a QB fall to them that they like AND Wolford does better for the Rams than he did last season with the Jets, maybe he gets signed to the practice squad. But there is no way a UDFA from last season, who wasn't good enough for any team to sign him to their practice squad all last year and was the 4th QB signed out of the AAF would keep the Rams from drafting a QB they like.

The Rams have many needs and desires. They have been looking for a QB good enough that when Bortles leaves they don't need to worry about signing a vet - i.e. they want to have him in place. In the current NFL backup QBs who are desirable and not on their rookie contracts get paid as much as decent starters but not stars at other positions. It wouldn't be a wasted pick to see if they can develop one.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It’s likely a standard non guaranteed contract, camp arm.
Signing him has no impact on whether they draft a qb. They won’t be able to evaluate Wolford until TC anyway

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Signing him has no impact on whether they draft a qb. They won’t be able to evaluate Wolford until TC anyway

Usually they'll get a small signing bonus - basically, enough so they can eat until they get to camp, pay gas, etc. Basically has zero effect on the cap. Necessary so there's enough players in camp for all the early workouts, until it narrows down. As you know, camp arms are mostly there so receivers can get work even if the higher ranked QBs need time off early in camp with a sore arm or whatever. Occasionally one impresses - but you don't make plans expecting them to impress.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

To say they have not evaluated him is ridiculous. Why did they sign him ?

The Rams have 4 QBs signed right now .

Is there an added QB for the 53 ?

The Rams are all about special teams & using extra players that are dual types. Just look at how many O”Lineman they keep ? They value the special teams guy more. An added QB this year would be crazy & totally out of there realm.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Signing camp arms is routine. Done every season. Best case for him - if they don't have a QB fall to them that they like AND Wolford does better for the Rams than he did last season with the Jets, maybe he gets signed to the practice squad. But there is no way a UDFA from last season, who wasn't good enough for any team to sign him to their practice squad all last year and was the 4th QB signed out of the AAF would keep the Rams from drafting a QB they like.

The Rams have many needs and desires. They have been looking for a QB good enough that when Bortles leaves they don't need to worry about signing a vet - i.e. they want to have him in place. In the current NFL backup QBs who are desirable and not on their rookie contracts get paid as much as decent starters but not stars at other positions. It wouldn't be a wasted pick to see if they can develop one.

How can you say they want another QB in place ?? Where is the proof of that ??

Still asking when was the last time Les Snead has drafted a QB besides Goff ??

The Rams Fisher released and cut a Super Bowl MVP winner !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Usually they'll get a small signing bonus - basically, enough so they can eat until they get to camp, pay gas, etc. Basically has zero effect on the cap. Necessary so there's enough players in camp for all the early workouts, until it narrows down. As you know, camp arms are mostly there so receivers can get work even if the higher ranked QBs need time off early in camp with a sore arm or whatever. Occasionally one impresses - but you don't make plans expecting them to impress.

What is your take on Allen who has been with McVay since basically day 1 of training camp ??

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How can you say they want another QB in place ?? Where is the proof of that ??

Still asking when was the last time Les Snead has drafted a QB besides Goff ??

Covering the second point first - The Rams drafted Mannion, then Goff the next season. They've had no reason to draft somebody, especially since McVay was wanting to rebuild the roster. He has done that substantially, AND Mannion is gone now. They have Bortles for a season, thanks to Jacksonville paying him $5.5 million making him very inexpensive for a vet backup.

But as @OldSchool has pointed out (and others including myself in this thread have pointed out) the Rams are interviewing QBs. They have an interest in one.

You seem to be assuming that the Rams are stupid - that they can't tell the difference between a camp body and an actual prospect. They can - and Snead and McVay do know how expensive it would be to find a decent vet backup. Hence the need to develop a young guy to backup. It saves enough cap space to sign or keep a good but not great starter at many positions. Between that common sense realization, and the fact that they are interviewing a number of QBs, tells me that they want another QB to develop.

Maybe they don't find one - maybe everybody they like gets picked too early for their tastes. But they ARE looking - the interviews, the fact they just lost their inexpensive backup and lucked out in finding a one year signing tells most of us that they are looking.

Why didn't they look before? They were building up the rest of the lineup, and didn't need to before last season. Last year they drafted 11 guys, and spent the season developing them. Now is the time to bring in the backup QB of the future. They could wait forever, hoping they get lucky with a UDFA - but that hasn't exactly worked so far. Allen is a weak backup - he hasn't shown anything, and no team was interested in him when he was cut last season. Wolford had no interest in him for a practice squad last season, and was tied for fourth in QBs being signed from the AAF - not a ringing endorsement, since the AAF was full of players that no team wanted on their practice squad. Neither Allen nor Wolford are likely to stand in the way of the Rams pursuing another player. This is the NFL. every single team every single offseason signs players, and ends up cutting some of them not just before training camp, but sometimes before even any post-draft runthrough. This is normal - sign some kid just in case you don't get what you want later on. The signing bonuses are small and insignificant compared to the cap - basically rounding errors.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
To say they have not evaluated him is ridiculous. Why did they sign him ?

The Rams have 4 QBs signed right now .

Is there an added QB for the 53 ?

The Rams are all about special teams & using extra players that are dual types. Just look at how many O”Lineman they keep ? They value the special teams guy more. An added QB this year would be crazy & totally out of there realm.
He’s a camp arm. He’s not on the 53 man roster. He’s got a shot, that’s it.
4 Qb from AAF got a shot and pretty much are all in same boat, to try and win a #3 spot
Or show enough to make a team PS
They’ll have 90 on the team when camp opens
He could be one of them.
That’s it

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect the rams to go back to the SB and Goff to be starting every game so it could be hard for bortles to prove he can find a new starting gig, especially given this and next years qb crop.

So despite it looking like a one year revival project, it may be a 2 year rental

He will have all of preseason to show if Mcvay has fixed him. Goff won't be taking a snap.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He will have all of preseason to show if Mcvay has fixed him. Goff won't be taking a snap.

Good point. This should be interesting because who won't be looking to see if Sean can help Blake be a better qb.

And since Goff wont play in preseason Blake has an excellent opportunity to get his groove back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Covering the second point first - The Rams drafted Mannion, then Goff the next season. They've had no reason to draft somebody, especially since McVay was wanting to rebuild the roster. He has done that substantially, AND Mannion is gone now. They have Bortles for a season, thanks to Jacksonville paying him $5.5 million making him very inexpensive for a vet backup.

But as @OldSchool has pointed out (and others including myself in this thread have pointed out) the Rams are interviewing QBs. They have an interest in one.

You seem to be assuming that the Rams are stupid - that they can't tell the difference between a camp body and an actual prospect. They can - and Snead and McVay do know how expensive it would be to find a decent vet backup. Hence the need to develop a young guy to backup. It saves enough cap space to sign or keep a good but not great starter at many positions. Between that common sense realization, and the fact that they are interviewing a number of QBs, tells me that they want another QB to develop.

Maybe they don't find one - maybe everybody they like gets picked too early for their tastes. But they ARE looking - the interviews, the fact they just lost their inexpensive backup and lucked out in finding a one year signing tells most of us that they are looking.

Why didn't they look before? They were building up the rest of the lineup, and didn't need to before last season. Last year they drafted 11 guys, and spent the season developing them. Now is the time to bring in the backup QB of the future. They could wait forever, hoping they get lucky with a UDFA - but that hasn't exactly worked so far. Allen is a weak backup - he hasn't shown anything, and no team was interested in him when he was cut last season. Wolford had no interest in him for a practice squad last season, and was tied for fourth in QBs being signed from the AAF - not a ringing endorsement, since the AAF was full of players that no team wanted on their practice squad. Neither Allen nor Wolford are likely to stand in the way of the Rams pursuing another player. This is the NFL. every single team every single offseason signs players, and ends up cutting some of them not just before training camp, but sometimes before even any post-draft runthrough. This is normal - sign some kid just in case you don't get what you want later on. The signing bonuses are small and insignificant compared to the cap - basically rounding errors.

I’d bet Rod points on it !! Will see next week !!

Look at the offensive Line your point is crap in my book , unless you don’t want to draft an a couple offensive lineman ?? Then you might just draft all QBs !! The Rams just lost 2 of 5 starting lineman from last year. As much as anyone wants to say Blythe is ok. He got blast at the end of the season & is light for a starting guard. He is an excellent option as a backup.

Plug in a rookie 1st. Rd guard. Whitworth is gone next season & both Noteboom & Allen are unproven, but seem to be ready.

Big Rob had foot & ankle issues his first 2 seasons. Kromer & Reggie Scott y have been great at keeping players healthy.

Your point about a guy that was udfa. I’ve seen camp arms. This does not look like that type of a player in Wolford. I’m thinking practice squad & Allen is the practice arm that knows the offense well.

The league is changing in case you haven’t been watching. Teams need to prepare for running QB’s plus in certain circumstances you might even need one .

I’ve been watching Rams drafts for awhile now & I don’t see it. Crazier things have happened,but this signing says to me they are not interested in a QB. We can say mayb Les Snead is playing a & drafts a QB with the first pick (lol).
Suh has also left as well & Peters & Talib might be gone next season as well.
Fowler signed for how many years ??
What about MLB ??
& THE RAMS have built such a great team moving forward. ??! All they need is a backup.QB so they can sign FA players ??
Why Goff gets hurt ??! My insurance is on The Offensive Line!!The Rams are set at TE with a deep TE class ??!! Get real !! Higbee will be a FA as well !!

What about a backup FS to learn from Weddle who could be a HOF type ?? I think special teams would add depth ??

Like I said I like the Wolford signing & trust there is reason they signed him .I hate to bring up Kurt Warner because it is not a great example. It’s the fact that QB’s can take awhile to develop & get a chance.I remember Farve & Billy Joe from Atlanta. At least I think I do ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
He’s a camp arm. He’s not on the 53 man roster. He’s got a shot, that’s it.
4 Qb from AAF got a shot and pretty much are all in same boat, to try and win a #3 spot
Or show enough to make a team PS
They’ll have 90 on the team when camp opens
He could be one of them.
That’s it

Perfect !!! What else do you need ?? He beats out Allen & gets a better chance next season.

That’s called trying to develop a QB. He brings
a Russell Wilson,Murray, & dude from Baltimore type element to the practice squad as well. I think Allen is also out of options on being on the practice Squad ?? Which I’m not totally sure of the rules of hand ??

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry but this is just a silly stance. When was the last time they needed to draft a QB? Oh Goff and haven't had a need to since so yeah obviously they haven't drafted one. Oh but wait they could use one this year so what do you know.

View: https://twitter.com/DowntownRams/status/1116572142160629761

HUH They've met with 6 this off season.

After meeting with 6 QB’s they sign Wolford?

STILL UNDECIDED
Ndamukong Suh, DT
Sam Shields, CB
Dominique Easley, DL/EDGE
Ramik Wilson, ILB
Bryce Hager, ILB
Ethan Westbrooks, DL

I think there are a few holes The Rams still need to fill , just to add.

Btw - one of the worst QB drafts I’ve seen in awhile . Haskins is the guy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
After meeting with 6 QB’s they sign Wolford?

STILL UNDECIDED
Ndamukong Suh, DT
Sam Shields, CB
Dominique Easley, DL/EDGE
Ramik Wilson, ILB
Bryce Hager, ILB
Ethan Westbrooks, DL

I think there are a few holes The Rams still need to fill , just to add.

Btw - one of the worst QB drafts I’ve seen in awhile . Haskins is the guy.

You spelled "Drew Lock" wrong.