Rams signing OG Jonah Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What you missed was the context of my statement. I was responding to a quote from Flatlyner, who said if they go OL at 19, we're gonna have to score 50 a game. I was referring to our offense being ground and pound scoring 30 which would be more than enough if we eat clock. We could turn into that team (Tennessee) who eats clock (although they never scored a whole lot) giving the opponent about 8 possessions. Our defense would only have to stop the opponent 50% of the time but they'll probably be even better than that.
Oh I didn't realize not drafting a defensive player at 19 or us not signing a defensive player yet meant our defense got twice as bad (by his estimation not yours). I just think it's too early to worry about things but that's just me. And bigger better IOL doesn't really mean we're going to completely change the offense and run the ball instead of pass it as much as we do?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Oh I didn't realize not drafting a defensive player at 19 or us not signing a defensive player yet meant our defense got twice as bad (by his estimation not yours). I just think it's too early to worry about things but that's just me. And bigger better IOL doesn't really mean we're going to completely change the offense and run the ball instead of pass it as much as we do?
I think our defense is going to be much better this year. A full year of experience for Young, Turner and others. We'll fill out that side of the ball quite well I believe. Who do we stand to lose? Johnson, Fuller, Witherspoon, Hoecht, Jonah Williams? Why do I get the feeling we could replace them with draft picks AND 2nd tier free agents? And we might resign one or two!!

AND.....with an offense that should be able to run or pass, at will, in any situation, I figure the D is gonna get a lot of time to refresh on the sidelines.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
I'd have liked it if they gave a big contract to a good player. Jackson is average at best. Do not get this. Just resign Shelton for like half that.
shelton didn't have much push in goaline calls, its now fixed, and I am so hard I just ordered a few boxes of tissue and hand cream :woozy2:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Abd
DAMN! You can tell your QB that he's good not to be sacked but once every 464 drop backs and you won't be pressured over 94% of the time. If the whole line does that good, you don't need a Top 10 D. He does average 5.5 penalties a year but those could have been earlier in his career.
And that was with Goff at QB. Not exactly a mobile or elusive QB.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think our defense is going to be much better this year. A full year of experience for Young, Turner and others. We'll fill out that side of the ball quite well I believe. Who do we stand to lose? Johnson, Fuller, Witherspoon, Hoecht, Jonah Williams? Why do I get the feeling we could replace them with draft picks AND 2nd tier free agents? And we might resign one or two!!

AND.....with an offense that should be able to run or pass, at will, in any situation, I figure the D is gonna get a lot of time to refresh on the sidelines.
It will really come down to how the 2nd and 3rd yr guys step up or not.

Durant flashed as a rookie, but was invisible last yr. Lake came on and looks to be a keeper. Last yrs class, needs to take another step. And guys like Johnson, Tomlinson, Hampton, Mathis, and maybe the Okla St S can show something this yr as well.

You get something from those guys, add a couple guys in the draft and bargain FA's, then they will be fine.

I just don't want them to be desperate for any position come draft day. And maybe they like Mathis & Hampton. They know better than we do.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
It will really come down to how the 2nd and 3rd yr guys step up or not.

Durant flashed as a rookie, but was invisible last yr. Lake came on and looks to be a keeper. Last yrs class, needs to take another step. And guys like Johnson, Tomlinson, Hampton, Mathis, and maybe the Okla St S can show something this yr as well.

You get something from those guys, add a couple guys in the draft and bargain FA's, then they will be fine.

I just don't want them to be desperate for any position come draft day. And maybe they like Mathis & Hampton. They know better than we do.
I'm desperate!! I want that OL stream to continue. Grab the Washington LT at #19 and then go after defense and toys.

But yeah, we don't want them acting desperate in the draft.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I'm desperate!! I want that OL stream to continue. Grab the Washington LT at #19 and then go after defense and toys.

But yeah, we don't want them acting desperate in the draft.
I wouldn't mind trading back a few and drafting Guyton. He has a lower floor due to lack of experience, but also one of the highest ceilings due to his size & athleticism.

Having said that, I have a man crush on Dejean. I see the next Nolan Cromwell, 2024 edition.

Ram65

Legend
I'm tired from all the clicking of likes, high-fives, and thread winners on this great signing thread.

There are a lot of great points on the plus side of signing another mauler O Lineman.

How many TDs will the Rams gain in the red zone? No more need to always dial up 3-4 pass plays inside the 10-yard line. Run it down the defense's throats!!!

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
I'm tired from all the clicking of likes, high-fives, and thread winners on this great signing thread.

There are a lot of great points on the plus side of signing another mauler O Lineman.

How many TD will the Rams gain in the red zone? No more need to always dial up 3-4 pass plays inside the 10-yard line. Run it down the defense's throats!!!
Great point 65!!! I could see them playing with 6 (or 7) OL at times in the red zone. I wonder which of them has the best hands? :hush: Just gotta make sure they report properly!

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Makes you wonder if Dotson could back out of his deal when he sees the bigger deals signed today, including his new teammate's deal. Hope he signed it already.
Dotson signed his contract days ago unless I’m missing something

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really like the player. The money is fair IMO. You can have never enough offensive lineman. Particularly big, physical ones. Bonus points that this weakens Detroit too. But I am not so sure this was the most efficient use of cap dollars. We could have spent less money for a good center IMO and kept Avila at LG.

Plus, if Avila struggles to transition to C at the NFL level, this is a big net loss. Making calls at C in the NFL is no joke. It is a big step up from the college game. Can Avila do it? Who knows. I am very optimistic, but it is a risk. Jackson is good, but he's not some Hall of Fame talent that I would jump head first into re-jigging the offensive line over with 0 reservations in mind. Avila was already a very stout LG in only his rookie season.

I do wonder if this means the Rams drafted Avila while viewing C as his natural/best position. Many scouts did have that opinion.

I also wonder if it reveals what they think of this o-line draft class, and/or where they want to spend their draft capital.

Will Avila be happy about this? Easier to get paid as a LG generally...

Like all Rams signings, I am excited to see how it plays out. You never know in the NFL until you play the games. I give it 7/10 right now. It could easily swing up or down notably IMO. I trust our o-line coach.

Do you really think the Rams would even consider moving Avila to C without extensive exploration and testing?

C’mon

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
The guys at The Athletic give enthusiastic thumbs up to Jackson and Parkinson signings FWIW