Rams signing OG Jonah Jackson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Jackson interview on leadership on the field.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I think outside of the big 3 WRs, the next tier is full of guys in the mid-1st to late-1st range.

Personally I want a bigger body, more physical presence who can develop into a true #1: BT Jr, Mitchell, Legette, Coleman. I would be happy with any of these guys at 19 though many will feel Legette/Coleman are reaches there (I dont).

This draft is so deep at WR, overall rankings are skewed more this year vs others IMO.
You said it yourself, this is a very deep WR draft. Why reach at 19 for one? To me, all of those guys you mentioned are reaches at 19. Trade down? Far more interested. I think my bottom line is, we desperately need defensive starters with our first few picks, not a luxury pick.
Respectfully disagree. He's better than average. I like the signing. McVay wants to lean into bully ball. Jackson is a fire hydrant with an iron grip.
I've changed my tune since my emotions this morning lol. I think he is quality and didn't have his best season last year due to multiple injuries. I'd still lean on the side of I'd rather have had a top edge, but I'm satisfied with this.

dang

Legend
Next FA has to be an edge...whether vet stop gap or potential emerging guy. They have to get a legitimate guy so they are not desperate on draft day.
Very Good Edge and good CB or S a must in FA. Van Ginkle example of very good Edge (but gone). Simmons example of good S (still available I believe).

PARAM

Hall of Fame
We had 29 mil in space prior to signing Jackson and the TE. What's our balance now?

If they release JN that's another 5 mil. If he restructures, maybe more.

I sure hope we address something on the defensive side before the dust settles or we are going to be forced to make picks in the draft, which is never a good strategy.

PFF rating. I can't (and really nobody) can claimed to have watched all his snaps last year. He's rated very similarly to Shelton.

Man, if they go OL with pick 19 we will be needing to score 50 every game to be in it.
If they go OL at #19 (OT), we may only need to score 30. Ground and pound, eat clock and score. Defense has to make less stops when the opponent only gets 8.
Ya I'm good with it too, moving Avila to C that is, I'm just so nervous about making our OL switch around. With Jackson at LG, if he gets hurt then Avila sliding over & making room for the back-up C makes better sense than drafting a rookie C & hoping for the best. Avila does have center experience in college, and is now familiar with the Rams blocking scheme sso maybe this is all OK & I"m nervous for nothing.
I Have wanted a stud center for a long time now. Avila is certainly a stud, just hoping he works out at C really well.
because... if so.... yes, this should be one of the biggest OL's we've had in a long time. These boys will look like beasts getting off the bus.

Avila will be fine at C.

Somebody mentioned WR and wanting a "big" WR. We have 2 physical WR now in Kupp and Puka. A true burner would be nice. Not at #19 though.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would bet that the Rams are hoping that one of the highly-rated Edge players (Latu, Verse) falls to them at #19. That D needs a better pass rush before anything else, including Corners. But if a Quinon Mitchell or Cooper DeJuen (spell?) are still available and the Edges they like are gone, I think that's a great Plan B.

But this Jonah Jackson signing came out of nowhere. Not crazy about moving Avila because I think he showed pro bowl-caliber talent at Guard but what the hell do I know. If this works I will not be surprised because I trust McSnead, and I like the physical presence this O-line will provide. This is an investment in Stafford and he can win you the Lombardi if he has the protection. Go Rams!

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If they go OL at #19 (OT), we may only need to score 30. Ground and pound, eat clock and score. Defense has to make less stops when the opponent only gets 8.
Our defense is going to give up a full TD or more a game now? What did I miss?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
I would bet that the Rams are hoping that one of the highly-rated Edge players (Latu, Verse) falls to them at #19. That D needs a better pass rush before anything else, including Corners. But if a Quinon Mitchell or Cooper DeJuen (spell?) are still available and the Edges they like are gone, I think that's a great Plan B.

But this Jonah Jackson signing came out of nowhere. Not crazy about moving Avila because I think he showed pro bowl-caliber talent at Guard but what the hell do I know. If this works I will not be surprised because I trust McSnead, and I like the physical presence this O-line will provide. This is an investment in Stafford and he can win you the Lombardi if he has the protection. Go Rams!
I can't help but think the Rams can't just hope that an edge falls. If Latu is healthy, I see all 3 edges gone by our pick. Then we are in a tough spot. Its not a deep edge class. I'm not sure you can find a starter past the 2nd round. to me, it is imperative to get some kind of contributing edge in FA prior to the draft. I totally understand not addressing CB in FA, its a pretty bad and shallow class. Also, the chances of a very good CB falling to 19 are very favorable.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I wonder if the Rams consulted with Stafford on Jonah Jackson because Jackson started all sixteen games at Left Guard in his rookie season of 2020 ... with Stafford at Quarterback.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Our defense is going to give up a full TD or more a game now? What did I miss?
What you missed was the context of my statement. I was responding to a quote from Flatlyner, who said if they go OL at 19, we're gonna have to score 50 a game. I was referring to our offense being ground and pound scoring 30 which would be more than enough if we eat clock. We could turn into that team (Tennessee) who eats clock (although they never scored a whole lot) giving the opponent about 8 possessions. Our defense would only have to stop the opponent 50% of the time but they'll probably be even better than that.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame