Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think it shows you the Rams won’t hesitate on taking a chance on Latu because this is a gamble at the price point. They must not have much confidence with Witherspoon.
A vet player with an injury history on a 1 yr deal vs a rookie with a potential 5 yr deal on a rookie contract, are two totally different types of gambles.

WestCoastRam

Legend
How do you know what Mitchell can and can't do? Dude is a top flight CB in this draft. If he's there, you don't pass if you ask me. I'm sure he could nickle up if asked but don't we have other players like Kurl, Tomlinson, Durant or Lake that can come up to play nickle every so often (honestly asking by the way)? Even though I think White is a nice signing, it's one year plus there are rightfully injury concerns. Plus nickles can still be drafted later. The secondary we fielded last year minus Witherspoon was ass last year. Rams may be looking to strengthen the hell out of it.
He's never played nickel as far as I can tell. Nickel corner and outside are two very different positions. Many guys that play outside can't play nickel. And there's definitely guys at nickel who can be abused on the outside. When we lost Troy Hill who had inside/outside versatility to play both, we moved Williams part time to nickel and it was a disaster. We eventually moved him back to outside corner full time.

Whereas length and speed are great to have at the outside, quickness/agility (there's no sideline, they have to be able to quickly react in any direction), awareness (so many different ways to attack a nickel with choice routes, run at them, picks, etc), and tackling are a premium inside at nickel.

You can't just place a guy there and sometimes you have to split the responsibilities ala Lake as a big nickel where you give up some of the quickness/agility for length and size in defense of big slots and the run.

Now we have White on a 1 year contract and sounds like we're not rushing him back. You can still make an argument for picking him for the future (I'm not sure it's great depending on other talent avail) I just don't see a compelling argument that he can play nickel.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Both Kendrick and Durant have starting experience - that's invaluable for backups. Moving off him for a rookie would be a bad decision, especially with the complete lack of pass rush right now.

I do agree it doesn't change draft strategy *much* though - I wouldn't have targeted a CB until the third before, now I'm not until later on day 3, and only then if they project to be a great special teams player.
It's not moving off him, it's planning for future ... White is not a long-term solution at this point. If he has a good year, they can look at it but he's a replacement for Spoon ... but in any case they need a CB. Durant -- have some faith in him, Kendrick will always be a liability ...

I would be surprised in Rams don't take a CB with one of first 4 picks. Maybe one of the 3s, but if an elite guys falls to 19 and there is not pass rusher there ... We've seen some good rookies come into the NFL and play ... I don't know if there is one out there or not -- but I think this is a stop-gap, someone to play BC rather than Spoon and he's got more talent, just possible health ??

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
He's never played nickel as far as I can tell. Nickel corner and outside are two very different positions. Many guys that play outside can't play nickel. And there's definitely guys at nickel who can be abused on the outside. When we lost Troy Hill who had inside/outside versatility to play both, we moved Williams part time to nickel and it was a disaster. We eventually moved him back to outside corner full time.

Whereas length and speed are great to have at the outside, quickness/agility (there's no sideline, they have to be able to quickly react in any direction), awareness (so many different ways to attack a nickel with choice routes, run at them, picks, etc), and tackling are a premium inside at nickel.

You can't just place a guy there and sometimes you have to split the responsibilities ala Lake as a big nickel where you give up some of the quickness/agility for length and size in defense of big slots and the run.

Now we have White on a 1 year contract and sounds like we're not rushing him back. You can still make an argument for picking him for the future (I'm not sure it's great depending on other talent avail) I just don't see a compelling argument that he can play nickel.
So I just did research and apparently the year Durant did his best was playing the slot. See we do have a nickle back lol.....maybe that's the Ram's plan?

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A vet player with an injury history on a 1 yr deal vs a rookie with a potential 5 yr deal on a rookie contract, are two totally different types of gambles.
True but you worry about the same result, you are spending capital that could have no value in the near future.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
So I just did research and apparently the year Durant did his best was playing the slot. See we do have a nickle back lol.....maybe that's the Ram's plan?
Durant and Lake are the slot guys right now ... Willams played it some a couple of years ago, but it was a special kind of setup from what I saw --- but Rams could draft someone who plays slot (Mighigan kid) or outside ...

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Durant and Lake are the slot guys right now ... Willams played it some a couple of years ago, but it was a special kind of setup from what I saw --- but Rams could draft someone who plays slot (Mighigan kid) or outside ...
The more I look into this signing, the more I like the versatility it gives us come draft time. The Rams can't control what happens in front of them but they can control how they can choose to pivot. Makes the draft that much more intriguing.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
True but you worry about the same result, you are spending capital that could have no value in the near future.
But you are not blowing the opportunity to have a young cornerstone player for 5 yrs at a minimum.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like a first round pick potentially having no value where it could have a 5 year value.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
The more I look into this signing, the more I like the versatility it gives us come draft time. The Rams can't control what happens in front of them but they can control how they can choose to pivot. Makes the draft that much more intriguing.
Agree ... means they don't have to reach. There are (I gather) several good slot guys that should be around from 80-100 so if they don't get elite guy like Toledo CB they can wait and get a slot.

WestCoastRam

Legend

Def seems like he and Lake will split slot duties.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
But you are not blowing the opportunity to have a young cornerstone player for 5 yrs at a minimum.
Of course but Latu has performed after his injury, White hasn’t. It makes these risks in the same ballpark to me. Basically, 8.5M in capital at stake. You could get one great year or as much as five great years of play for the same price. Both are unknowns. Both are needs.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Not sure I agree with the comparison. White has Achilles and ACL injuries to come back from. Just a bit different from what Latu had :) But if it makes you feel better about drafting Latu all the power to you.
Oh, I’d rather have Verse but it looks like the Rams have the risk aversion level to take Latuif that’s the best fit for them.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not moving off him, it's planning for future ... White is not a long-term solution at this point. If he has a good year, they can look at it but he's a replacement for Spoon ... but in any case they need a CB. Durant -- have some faith in him, Kendrick will always be a liability ...

I would be surprised in Rams don't take a CB with one of first 4 picks. Maybe one of the 3s, but if an elite guys falls to 19 and there is not pass rusher there ... We've seen some good rookies come into the NFL and play ... I don't know if there is one out there or not -- but I think this is a stop-gap, someone to play BC rather than Spoon and he's got more talent, just possible health ??

I say the Rams won't draft a CB until day 3, you say we will draft one on day 1 or 2.

Can't wait to see who is right.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
Great signing for the money if he can stay healthy. I worry about our stadium turf considering his knee and Achilles injuries but this is a big boost on the back end

dang

Legend
The infusion of talented vet leadership (DWill, Curl, TWhite) on the backend is impressive and critical. I know the cap is very limited but I’d still like to see them add 2 DL/Edge vets. Go Rams!!

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
I could still see Dejean as an option in a trade down.
He comes in to play S or if White can't stay healthy, he can also play CB. Dejean would be preferable because of the new kick off rules. He could be a real asset as a KR.
Thats actually a great point about the kick off. Still think they go edge or DT in the first round but outstanding point on the KO and CB still a position of need. Although 2nd, 3rd round should have some good CB talent still available.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Rams COULD still take a CB early if they want, this signing just means they don't HAVE to do so.

The moves the Rams have made have been really solid in and of themselves, but the best part is how much they have opened up their draft options.

We have gone from absolutely needing to draft a WR early (nope - resign Demarcus) to having to draft OL early (nope - resign Dotson, add Jonah Jackson and tender AJax) to having to draft a TE to replace Higbee (nope - add Parkinson), to really needing to draft a DB early (nope, add DWill, Curl and TWhite).

They still could draft any one of those early, but they don't HAVE to do so.

Now, they haven't done that with the DLine (yet?), so currently, they HAVE to draft Edge and DT (and probably DE), but other than that, they have been able to remove a lot of the NO CHOICE BUT TO DRAFT X position.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Imagine how good the secondary (and defense) could be with excellent pressure! From 2 interior lineman, and two young OLB, plus a blitzing LB or CB from time to time. I'm looking at it like "if it's Latu and a pressure DT at #52 or if it's Murphy/Newton and an OLB at #52, it makes no difference to me". The signings of DWill and White make those two approaches entirely possible.

But the White signing being an indication they will draft Latu (because they will take a chance on injury risk) might not be accurate. The risk on White is 1 year at 8 mil. The risk on Latu is 4 (or 5) years and more money. Losing an 8 mil gamble on a proven vet coming off injury isn't the same as blowing your first round pick AND losing more money.

As far as opening up all options in the draft, going into the off season their needs were:

OL = done
CB = done
TE (with Hig a PUP) = done
QB2 = done
S = done
WR3/4 = done
PK = ?????
Edge = ?????
DT (with AD gone) = ?????

Clearly, we'd expect those last 2 to be addressed early.

Last edited: