Rams sign Tre'Davious White

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Definitely that.

But fans, especially here, write off players that we don't like.

Even putting White aside, Kendrick vs Durant vs Tomlinson - after the experience they've accumulated - for one spot, is a good place to be.

I will be surprised if we draft a CB at all now, unless it's a special teams dynamo late who happens to play CB
I could see them moving Kendrick. Of course many would say you couldn't get a soda machine for the locker room for him...However, experienced CBs are hard to find.

So I think you could send him, along with say a 6th rd comp pick for an early 6th rounder, like a 20 pick move up in the later rds Or you throw him in with a trade down in order to get a little more back in the trade down deal.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Fuck yeah, love the signing as I'm sure our medical staff signed off on it too. I personally wouldn't say no CB with the first pick. If Mitchell falls, that's a fuckin prized secondary with White, Williams and Mitchell if we draft him. We don't truly know the Rams plans. Loving this signing since it's only a 1 year gamble. Lots of draft routes we can take.
And if he works out, at the very least, you get a decent comp pick in 26' since I don't see them adding many FAs next year considering their cap situation will be tighter. Next yr will be another yr where they will hoard comp picks for 26'.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
#notdraftingaCB let's goooooo
Does not change draft strategy much. If any. It's been 5 years since he played a full schedule, coming off Achilles and serious knee.

THis guys is a stop-gap -- 1 year deal --- and a flier at that.

Rams could very well take a corner thinking THT could start next year and this year's pick could start for Williams 2 years from now --- possibly something like that.

They just might not want to start a rookie CB ... unless the blows the doors of off camp.

White. though used to be very good and could have enough to play well...all this means is they could finally afford to get Kendrick off the field.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Does not change draft strategy much. If any. It's been 5 years since he played a full schedule, coming off Achilles and serious knee.

Rams could very well take a corner thinking THT could start next year and this year's pick could start for Williams 2 years from now --- possibly something like that.

They just might not want to start a rookie CB ... unless the blows the doors of off camp.

White. though used to be very good and could have enough to play well...all this means is they could finally afford to get Kendrick off the field.
I could still see Dejean as an option in a trade down.
He comes in to play S or if White can't stay healthy, he can also play CB. Dejean would be preferable because of the new kick off rules. He could be a real asset as a KR.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I could still see Dejean as an option in a trade down.
He comes in to play S or if White can't stay healthy, he can also play CB. Dejean would be preferable because of the new kick off rules. He could be a real asset as a KR.
I honestly don't know what he can do ... I just think that Rams are taking a reasonable risk, but getting excited for secondary is fine, but for me, I will temper it until I see White play.

He is no longer a Pro Bowl player but all he has to be is better than Witherspoon.

Williams takes Kendricks's position and White takes Spoon's --- if they are healthy that's an improvement at both positions.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
So, they may mean no CB at #19... although one thing I believe it surely means is that Kendricks may be sent on his way. I'd assume that because I believe they may value Durant more than Kendricks at this point... but we'll see.

I will say that drafting Quinyon Mitchell at #19 sharing the field with White, Williams, Lake and Curl would be a formidable secondary...

I mean really formidable.
Or......White, DWill, Durant, Kendricks and Tomlinson are the CBs and Lake, Curl, Yeast and Taylor are the Ss. Draft a CB? Draft a S? Draft a tweener? Many ways to go.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
This signing was a pleasant surprise and shows that the Rams are going all in. For those who are able to keep up with salary cap info I am curious what this leaves the Rams with to sign their 2024 draft class.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
Or......White, DWill, Durant, Kendricks and Tomlinson are the CBs and Lake, Curl, Yeast and Taylor are the Ss. Draft a CB? Draft a S? Draft a tweener? Many ways to go.
Lake is a tweener (S and slot) ... as is Durant (CB and slot) and Curl, too (S and money backer), Yeast (S and money)

I think a tweener would be nice -- a CB who can be slot and outside ... a good place for a young player, White gives them the flexibility to either, get best available guy, regardless of position

Same with DT/DE

They can be BPA and jungle Turner and BBIII

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This signing was a pleasant surprise and shows that the Rams are going all in. For those who are able to keep up with salary cap info I am curious what this leaves the Rams with to sign their 2024 draft class.
Not really an answer but tbd. The wording has this as an incentive heavy contract and there could be void years to spread it out. We really need to see how it's structured.

Tano

Legend
I honestly don't know what he can do ... I just think that Rams are taking a reasonable risk, but getting excited for secondary is fine, but for me, I will temper it until I see White play.

He is no longer a Pro Bowl player but all he has to be is better than Witherspoon.

Williams takes Kendricks's position and White takes Spoon's --- if they are healthy that's an improvement at both positions.
He was still playing at an all pro level last year before he hurt his achilles.

But it is really hard to come back from an achilles injury especially one that turns on the dime like a CB does

I could see him as a great Deep Free Safety if he was willing to play that position.

Ronnie Lott did and became HOF caliber after playing HOF caliber as a CB.

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
He was still playing at an all pro level last year before he hurt his achilles.

But it is really hard to come back from an achilles injury especially one that turns on the dime like a CB does
Yes, and hopefully he can ...

I could see him as a great Deep Free Safety if he was willing to play that position.
Don't see that

Ronnie Lott did and became HOF caliber after playing HOF caliber as a CB.
yes, but Lott mostly played safety in nickel defense all along ... even before he moved to S full-time ... he was a CB on 1st and 2nd down-type situations ... he was usually not a CB when 49ers went to nickel or dime, even early

White has never played safety in NFL in base or nickel

WestCoastRam

Legend
I could see them moving Kendrick. Of course many would say you couldn't get a soda machine for the locker room for him...However, experienced CBs are hard to find.

So I think you could send him, along with say a 6th rd comp pick for an early 6th rounder, like a 20 pick move up in the later rds Or you throw him in with a trade down in order to get a little more back in the trade down deal.
Could be a possibility and think you're about right on the compensation.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
A great CB who has had 2 major injuries in recent years. If he can stay healthy and regain form this is a major steal.
I think it shows you the Rams won’t hesitate on taking a chance on Latu because this is a gamble at the price point. They must not have much confidence with Witherspoon.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Both Kendrick and Durant have starting experience - that's invaluable for backups. Moving off him for a rookie would be a bad decision, especially with the complete lack of pass rush right now.

I do agree it doesn't change draft strategy *much* though - I wouldn't have targeted a CB until the third before, now I'm not until later on day 3, and only then if they project to be a great special teams player.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it shows you the Rams won’t hesitate on taking a chance on Latu because this is a gamble at the price point. They must not have much confidence with Witherspoon.
Not sure I agree with the comparison. White has Achilles and ACL injuries to come back from. Just a bit different from what Latu had :) But if it makes you feel better about drafting Latu all the power to you.