Rams sign OT Cornelius Lucas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I thought the logic would be easy to follow, although one could easily disagree. It's not news that Hav has struggled at times, especially in run support. There has been plenty of discussion over the right side of the OL being the weaker link, it's not like I just created this out of thin air. Whether he has been over-compensating for having Brown starting next to him, I don't know, but Hav hasn't had a consistently strong RG playing next to him since he took over. Or, ... are Havenstein's problems his own, is he not getting a good push or pull when required of him, is his footwork solid & consistent ?

Williams was a solid reserve LT in 2015, and injured & IR'd early in 2016. He was brought in by Fisher, but has still managed to play well enough to beat out competitors like Pace Murphy, Michael Dunn & Alex Kozan. If Williams "is barely on the roster right now" as you say, that may indeed be so, but I have no proof of this. The next big tell comes when/if Andrew Donnal shows up or gets IR'd himself. Maybe Donnal, the expected & more probable reserve RT/LG prior to the season beginning beats out Williams, ... or maybe Williams will return to reserve LT, Donnal to RT, and Lucas gets the ax, who knows ?

What we do know is that prior to this season Williams wasn't seen much at RT, so McVay is experimenting with him a bit more than Fisher had, ... whether this is a Williams final opportunity to stay with the team, or to become a candidate for swing OT, or for an increased role at RT, it's all speculation. Either way, I raise the question because Havenstein has shown areas where he struggles, and if Williams taking some rotational snaps helps the Rams, so be it. I'm not saying Williams is a shoe-in replacement by any means, but competition may raise the bar for him while we wait on whatever is to become of Donnal. jmo.

I thought Hav & Brown played every snap & Wiliams cameninnat LT ??

The Rams are cutting Deilmg who just got cut. He doesn't know the offense at all ?? Then they bring in another O'lineman.

What is going on with Andrew Donnal ??

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hav & Brown played every snap & Wiliams came in at LT ??
The Rams are cutting Deilman who just got cut.
He doesn't know the offense at all ??
What is going on with Andrew Donnal ??

Stay tuned for the next episode of;

"As The O Line Turns!"

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Stay tuned for the next episode of;

"As The O Line Turns!"

Well you can make it out to be a soap opera if you want to ?

I think building depth is a good thing. If the scouts keep scrolling for better options , then I cool with that.
John Sullivan is in a one year contract. Why not compare 4 young centers to find the best fit ?? What did all that cost ?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well you can make it out to be a soap opera if you want to
WILL Sullivan improve?

WILL Whitworth make it through his contract?

HOW will the right side do in this game?

CAN the offense produce if the O-line falls apart?

These questions and more will be answered on the next episode of;

"As The Stomach Churns".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
WILL Sullivan improve?

WILL Whitworth make it through his contract?

HOW will the right side do in this game?

CAN the offense produce if the O-line falls apart?

These questions and more will be answered on the next episode of;

"As The Stomach Churns".
Ref our new massive Swing OT Cornelius Lucas......just wondering if Kromer has in mind to put the 6-8 330 Lucas under the wing of the All Pro 6-7 333 Whitworth ? Both are about the same size & the same wing span. It may be that the cagey old vet might be able to help Lucas with his problems & issues that caused him to be cut from the Lions after 3 seasons. The Lions were in serious trouble @ OT when they dumped Lucas.

I am currently re-watching last Sundays game for the 4th time this time paying close attention on the interior OL. I got the 2nd half left to watch but I can not find too much on the negative side on John Sullivan.

What I did find interesting is Sully usually goes 1 up on the NT with little very little help. Yes he sometimes fails to get movement & sometimes goes back wards but if a OC can neutralize the NT by himself in my book that as much as you can ask. It sure helps Jamon Brown/Rodger Saffold free to make blocks elsewhere.

I will get to the 2nd half later.Has anyone else watched this Ram Center vs Colts Nose Tackle battle last Sunday?

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I too, have just re-watched the game, concentrating on the OL. I frame by framed some of the plays just to pinpoint each O lineman.

M biggest impression was, WOW, no one in Goff's face. No one competing with RB's for the handoff. Huge improvement in giving Goff time to drop back, make his reads and pass the ball. Sullivan takes on the NT and doesn't give up shyt. Brown and Hav held up, but they are getting manhandled when the run goes to their side. They are a work in progress, OL had some issues early with false starts but cdid better the 2nd half. Williams relieved Whit late in the game and so did Blythe for Sully.

I got a feeling this new guy Lucas is going to be playing on the right side very soon. He's supposed to be very quick on his feet and very good in pass pro. If Brown continues to struggle, we Might see Hav moved back to RG and Lucas at RT. The one sack came in from between Brown and Hav.

The whole OL struggled to open holes for the run game, but did a good jab in pass pro. They need to keep this same group together and let them develop some continuity.

Huge improvement over last years OL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I am currently re-watching last Sundays game for the 4th time this time paying close attention on the interior OL. I got the 2nd half left to watch but I can not find too much on the negative side on John Sullivan.

What I did find interesting is Sully usually goes 1 up on the NT with little very little help. Yes he sometimes fails to get movement & sometimes goes back wards but if a OC can neutralize the NT by himself in my book that as much as you can ask. It sure helps Jamon Brown/Rodger Saffold free to make blocks elsewhere.

I will get to the 2nd half later.Has anyone else watched this Ram Center vs Colts Nose Tackle battle last Sunday?

I saw him get beat once & the penalty. He is solid though.The Rams offensive line looked good. They should continue to get better.

Sullivan is a leader & I'm not sure what his future is after this season. He will get a pay raise for sure.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Eldrenkamp didn't last long. Beaten out by Blythe?
I would say yes...and then he was beaten out for a spot on the PS by JJ Dielman. I think in 2018, Dielman should challenge for a starting role...at Center.

Blythe has been quite a find.

I always do a double take at the amount of flak he gets on this forum.
You serious?

View: https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/809588446343925760

I never got the, he never gave up a sack talk on him either. I don't mind Havenstein, he's just not a powerful player, nor is he quick afoot. More of a liability than an asset is his obvious lack of speed. Plus, you must remember, the line KNOWS the snap count! Just getting out of his stance seems to be a problem.

Kromer must not be happy with Brown either...This is just due dilligence ...if you listen to Gruden talk, he says how McVay is all about making the QB comfortable...strengthening the line should be priority #1....

I think, Lucas is either the RT to replace Havenstein, but it's also to follow the original plan of moving Havenstein inside if Brown continues to falter in the running game. We HAVE to get Gurley going....I liked Lucas coming out of college...Kansas St. had a top rushing game when he was there, I was surprised to read that his strength is pass blocking...not road grading.

It would be nice if Lucas, Dielman, and Donnall would be the backups...forgot Blythe...he's a scrapper.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Doesn't look like they kept Dielman - Jefferson is now listed as the tenth guy on the practice squad ...

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I would say yes...and then he was beaten out for a spot on the PS by JJ Dielman. I think in 2018, Dielman should challenge for a starting role...at Center.

Blythe has been quite a find.

You serious?

View: https://twitter.com/SamuelRGold/status/809588446343925760

I never got the, he never gave up a sack talk on him either. I don't mind Havenstein, he's just not a powerful player, nor is he quick afoot. More of a liability than an asset is his obvious lack of speed. Plus, you must remember, the line KNOWS the snap count! Just getting out of his stance seems to be a problem.

Kromer must not be happy with Brown either...This is just due dilligence ...if you listen to Gruden talk, he says how McVay is all about making the QB comfortable...strengthening the line should be priority #1....

I think, Lucas is either the RT to replace Havenstein, but it's also to follow the original plan of moving Havenstein inside if Brown continues to falter in the running game. We HAVE to get Gurley going....I liked Lucas coming out of college...Kansas St. had a top rushing game when he was there, I was surprised to read that his strength is pass blocking...not road grading.

It would be nice if Lucas, Dielman, and Donnall would be the backups...forgot Blythe...he's a scrapper.

Dielman isn't on the ps.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
And in 19 days we'll have to make another adjustment for when Mike Thomas & Troy Hill become eligible. I imagine Troy will be released, but Thomas may still have an outside shot at making the 53. jmo.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Doesn't look like they kept Dielman - Jefferson is now listed as the tenth guy on the practice squad ...

Thought they would go Center with the final PS player, however, it appears that Blythe and also Aaron Neary, who they have listed behind Saffold at LG are the Centers in waiting.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Perfect example Champ46. Havenstien doing his best but coming up short. He's slow and not very strong. It's why Kromer and McVay wanted to move him inside. That didn't pan out because Brown was just as bad.

Now they're bringing in guys that got waived. Neary, Deilman, Lucas to try and upgrade the rt side of the OL.

I'm hoping Lucas can play RT so they can move Havenstien to RG and Brown to the bench.

jap

Legend
I like that McVay and Co. are still making moves to try to upgrade this team in any way possible even though season has begun.

This is not bashing on Fisher, but I prefer McVays "always try and improve the roster" approach more than Fishers "we have our 53, we're set for the season" approach. Just two different ways to go about it and one I like more.

Yes, roster recruitments are supposed to be a continual search for excellence. Imagine a few years ago when many of us wanted to believe we were set at DT, and the squabbling that broke out when Aaron Donald was selected as the 13th overall pick? :LOL:

"What do we need another DT for!?! We're good to go there, damn it!!!!"

There is nothing wrong and everything right about alway trying to get better at every position, even if you think you have Hall of Fame talent there.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Perfect example Champ46. Havenstien doing his best but coming up short. He's slow and not very strong. It's why Kromer and McVay wanted to move him inside. That didn't pan out because Brown was just as bad.
Still scratchin my head over the G-Rob trade....well, I'm at least scratchin my nuts....he must have cussed Kromer out or something. There is no way Kromer looked at those two (Brown & Havenstein) and said, "Yep, we're solid over there...." No way....every snap is an adventure....