Rams sign OT Cornelius Lucas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Still scratchin my head over the G-Rob trade....well, I'm at least scratchin my nuts....he must have cussed Kromer out or something. There is no way Kromer looked at those two (Brown & Havenstein) and said, "Yep, we're solid over there...." No way....every snap is an adventure....

I was surprised too at the early trade off GRob.

Cornelius Lucas looks like a guy that can be coached up. Good pass protector but weaker at run blocking. I like that they keep bringing in different players on the offensive line. Competition can't hurt. Let's see if Hav and Brown can get a little better every week. The Rams will keep trying to improve everywhere but the Offensive Line will be emphasized the most.

Ants

Starter

I was surprised too at the early trade off GRob.

Cornelius Lucas looks like a guy that can be coached up. Good pass protector but weaker at run blocking. I like that they keep bringing in different players on the offensive line. Competition can't hurt. Let's see if Hav and Brown can get a little better every week. The Rams will keep trying to improve everywhere but the Offensive Line will be emphasized the most.

I agree. From the little I've seen, he doesn't seem particularly aggressive or strong. He seems to be concerned with getting himself into a good position to form a running lane rather than just blowing a guy off the line of scrimmage. I'm ok with that, as long as he does indeed create a running lane.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm hoping Lucas can play RT so they can move Havenstien to RG and Brown to the bench.
I seriously doubt we'll see that in the next month.
Brown and Havenstein have not failed until they fail.

One game?
I think they'll get a couple of three-games minimum to show what they can do.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Does anyone know how GRob did last week?

With my son's peewee games going Sunday I can't watch as much as I'd like.

TexasRam

Legend
Perfect example Champ46. Havenstien doing his best but coming up short. He's slow and not very strong. It's why Kromer and McVay wanted to move him inside. That didn't pan out because Brown was just as bad.

Now they're bringing in guys that got waived. Neary, Deilman, Lucas to try and upgrade the rt side of the OL.

I'm hoping Lucas can play RT so they can move Havenstien to RG and Brown to the bench.

I know nothing about this Lucas dude but I will say this. Havenstein definitely doesn't have the quickeness to survive as a solid pass protector at tackle. He does have great hand usage however. He is able to lock on and stay engaged longer than Brown Saffold and maybe Sullivan. He does project as a solid guard. So if Lucas is a really good pass
Protector I can see us going that direction. I know everyone wants to talk about balance but I think this is still a passing league and creating an identity is hugely important. You have a supremely talented QB in Goff that shows elite QB qualities. Build a great passing game and let the run game feed off that.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch that and tell me how any QB could prosper with an O-Line like that...LOL It's almost comical. How could any QB be judged under that type of pressure? And that type of pressure has been happening for many years.
who the fuck was Donnal ? (64) blocking ? didnt put a hand on anyone

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
That clip shows just what Kromer and McVay have to fix. Havenstien, Donnal and Barnes all got their asses beat. Part of the reason was they didn't know where they were coming from. They got schooled. QB didn't have a chance.

The good news is they know the problem and are looking hard at a lot of OL guys without jobs, bringing them in and seeing if they can help. It's clear Havenstien is too slow vs speed rushers. Don't know where Donnal is at, he hasn't played yet.

If they can't find a solution via FA, I look for them to try and make a trade. They can't go the whole season with the right side that broken. Goff is in danger.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Watch that and tell me how any QB could prosper with an O-Line like that...LOL It's almost comical. How could any QB be judged under that type of pressure? And that type of pressure has been happening for many years.
I would have given you the post of the year for the post above except "thread winner" seemed to be the highest-ranking I could give it.

Despite your obsession with wide horns on the helmet you seem to know a lot about football. :D

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
GRob got a 45.5 from PFF this week. Which is piss poor.

In comparison, Havenstein got 80.2 which is considered above average. Brown got 76.4 which is average. I think we all expected this, as the colts are shit.

But the "we should have kept GRob" stuff should probably wait until he actually outperforms someone we kept over him.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
But the "we should have kept GRob" stuff should probably wait until he actually outperforms someone we kept over him.
In my opinion, Robinson was a entire list of symptoms that kept this team from winning;
Homer drafting.
Knee-jerk decision making in drafting.
Desperation drafting.
Really bad evaluation due to lack of any tape of him pass-blocking at all.
Really bad drafting in that one year in a run-oriented offense doesn't even come close to cutting being the first LT taken.
Bad coaching.
Putting up with underperforming.

The guy had to go and it's not all on him.

He was just a big example of a lot of mistakes made by the last regime that should not be continued on this team with the new staff.

He had to go.
If no other reason other than as an example that this team will not put up with lack of self motivation if nothing else.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
GRob got a 45.5 from PFF this week. Which is tick poor. In comparison, Havenstein got 80.2 which is considered above average. Brown got 76.4 which is average. I think we all expected this, as the colts are crap.But the "we should have kept GRob" stuff should probably wait until he actually outperforms someone we kept over him.
Agree! (y) My question is why would anyone think that GRob would out perform Whitworth or Havenstein in real game action? GRob was reassigned to play RT after 3 complete "Fail Modes" @ LT during 2014 the 2015 season & the double benching 2016 season by 2 different head coaches. Why would we desire to see more of the past 3 seasons plus while paying GRob 8 million?

Rams gave GRob a long long test drive @ RT post. GRob & the Rams had 3 different Phases of the off-season work out programs, 3 different OTA periods & finally Mini Camp from first of April to June 15th. Ram Org. had plenty of time to watch observe & work with GRob @ his new assignment. The new Ram coaches must have decided during this time that GRob fully demonstrated he was not interested in this new assignment @ RT thus he was traded for a 6th rd pick along with some big $$$ savings in the salary cap this season.

To add to this we also have seen that LT Darrell Williams worked hard to once again regain his position he had in 2015 where he is bargain priced back up LT that bring some relief to the cap strapped Rams. GRob could never be what Darrell Williams is now. So how can we have regret setting in here on the GRob's departure:confused: .
Thought they would go Center with the final PS player, however, it appears that Blythe and also Aaron Neary, who they have listed behind Saffold at LG are the Centers in waiting.
Both OC's Sullivan & Blythe had a strong pre season, Blythe thoroughly beat out our 3 season young vet Rhaney. The release of last seasons OG's Wichmann & Arkin with Aaron Neary having replaced them is a bit odd.
I know nothing about this Lucas dude but I will say this. Havenstein definitely doesn't have the quickeness to survive as a solid pass protector at tackle. He does have great hand usage however. He is able to lock on and stay engaged longer than Brown Saffold and maybe Sullivan. He does project as a solid guard. So if Lucas is a really good pass Protector I can see us going that direction. I know everyone wants to talk about balance but I think this is still a passing league and creating an identity is hugely important. You have a supremely talented QB in Goff that shows elite QB qualities. Build a great passing game and let the run game feed off that.
I believe that Lucus is a stop gap swing OT. I believe that Kromer has said that Rob Havenstein's future appear to be @ RG but presently Rob is the best we have available @ RT. If Goff can get continue to get that ball out on a quick basis we can win games with Rob @ RT. RG Jamon Brown does fall off his blocks way too often. Right now we are in a holding pattern until Donnal is a full go.
That twitter posted single play was @ CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Wash where the temps were near freezing & a very damp cold. Rams were down in the loudest part of the stadium on a 3rd & forever. Goff was sacked 4 times & only scored 3 pts. Seattle rushed 6 defenders on that play. My big question is why do the Rams always play CenturyLink Field in Seattle in late December why can't they reverse that?:mad:

Last edited:

UtahRam

Rookie
That twitter posted single play was @ CenturyLink Field in Seattle, Wash where the temps were near freezing & a very damp cold. Rams were down in the loudest part of the stadium on a 3rd & forever. Goff was sacked 4 times & only scored 3 pts. Seattle rushed 6 defenders on that play. My big question is why do the Rams always play CenturyLink Field in Seattle in late December why can't they reverse that?:mad:

We've seen that type of play time and time again, not just in Seattle late in the year. I want them to play late in Seattle every year until we finally beat them up there.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
We've seen that type of play time and time again, not just in Seattle late in the year. I want them to play late in Seattle every year until we finally beat them up there.
Yes Sir you are correct....Paul Boudreau sure gave us some bad times for many seasons.