Rams sign OT Cornelius Lucas

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
I'm not sure why all the love for Donnal. I haven't scouted too many of his snaps but the ones I did see he looked like garbage.

When did he all of a sudden improve and which game specifically?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I'm not sure why all the love for Donnal. I haven't scouted too many of his snaps but the ones I did see he looked like garbage.

Well, Fisher drafted him pretty high so that's one thing he has going for him...

or not.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck

I am with you but supposedly he graded it out pretty good last year in relief duty.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
LT is entirely different than every other line position....I'll leave it at that JackD
giphy.gif

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I'm not sure why all the love for Donnal. I haven't scouted too many of his snaps but the ones I did see he looked like garbage.When did he all of a sudden improve and which game specifically?

I don't think Donnal has played any yet.

I am with you but supposedly he graded it out pretty good last year in relief duty.

I might be the biggest supporter of RT/RG Andrew Donnal here in this forum. So most all the positive readings on him are most likely coming from me. I know of only one other member who has positive opinions on Donnal. In truth I have had a lot to say too. Just search me & put Andrew Donnal name in there & you will see me. I believe he is our best reserve OL'er. How is it that Donnal has yet to hit the field in Training Camp. Pre season & regular season & still make this Ram master roster?

Rams reserve OL'ers
OC Austin Blythe 1 start 9 gms
OT Darrell Williams 0 starts 6 gms
OC Aaron Neary 0 starts 0 gms
OT Cornelius Lucas 6 starts 35 gms
OG/OT Andrew Donnal 6 starts 21 gms

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
LT is entirely different than every other line position....I'll leave it at that JackD
I don't know if it is "entirely different" but it is the most difficult to play and requires the most skill.
I know this is obvious to most on here but....
Basically put, most quarterbacks are right-handed, as they are turning to pass they lose sight of pass rushers to their left and behind.
They have to feel comfortable that they can throw a pass without getting nailed.
Coaches realized this so they would put their best pass rushers on/over the Left Tackle.

Teams have to put their best Tackle on the left. Very crucial.

Please signify that I am Captain Obvious by touching the icon below that has a trophy on it.
Thank you. :D

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Donnal did play in pre season games and TC. I've not seen any remarks by McVay as to why he is still being held out.
He is not listed on the injury report for tomorrows game. Maybe the same situation as Austin, who's been limited because of a hamstring injury.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I might be the biggest supporter of RT/RG Andrew Donnal here in this forum. So most all the positive readings on him are most likely coming from me. I know of only one other member who has positive opinions on Donnal.
I gotta agree.....and I'm probably the other member with positive vibes from his play.
I've watched Donnal a lot on DraftBreakdown when he was playing for Iowa. I noticed while Shreff was pretty athletic....and nasty...they had a RT that got it done too. He was always a lil slight, but I figured he could easily put on some muscle mass. I think he was at the senior bowl too, and held his own. I was pretty happy when he was drafted, but wasn't impressed with his play as a rookie. I did happen to notice during camp in 2016 that he, Havenstein and others had put on some serious weight. In fact, in person, Donnal is as tall as every lineman on the team...and looks just as big now. His play in 2016 supports this, he seemed to be effective at every position he played....and I wouldn't think he'd be a natural guard. His strengths appear to be excellent technique, and knowing his assignment. Early last year, I wanted him to start at RT just to see if he was an improvement over Havenstein....

It's strange Boni, how a guy with his skillset is easily overlooked on a team with run blocking troubles...and difficulties with speed rushers. But injuries will do that. I'd guess it's something to do with his lower body...while he has gained a bunch of muscle in his upper body, I'd suspect something below his waist..NO not that area....is bothering him...Hips...ankle...feet...Knee????...Who knows...I do know, they want to KEEP him, and he hasn't even played a down. Which should speak to his skill and value to the coaching staff.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Aaron Neary OC released to make room for the UDFA CB Peterson. Looks like a good move to me.
Only if Kevin Petersen is a game-day active.
Other than that, there is no real reason to bring him up to the 53.
If Peterson is not a game day active Webster might have a more serious injury than we think.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I gotta agree.....and I'm probably the other member with positive vibes from his play.

And I thought it was me. :cry:

From the little we've seen of him, I thought he had pretty much always stood his ground, at both RT & OG. He was never really overwhelmed like we've witnessed happen at times to a few of the others in his draft class. I haven't seen enough to declare him a guaranteed future starter, but his potential as a solid reserve appears realistic enough, although I must add I thought the same for Wichmann at LG. Perhaps, of the 3 OL outside of Havenstein from that 2015 class, Donnal best portrays an ability as a strong swingman. During the pre-season, we were told to expect guys like Donnal, Brown & Wichmann to be cross-trained at Center, hard to say if these opportunities ever evolved or if someone proved dominant, ... although we did see Wichmann finally hit the skids to some surprise. Of these three though, I don't believe Donnal had ever played Center in college, not sure about the others. It's curious why there has been so little mentioned of Donnal's absence, especially the lack of questioning by the media or at least a signal from Myles Simmons, Farr or even Dani. jmo

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Only if Kevin Petersen is a game-day active.
Other than that, there is no real reason to bring him up to the 53.
If Peterson is not a game day active Webster might have a more serious injury than we think.
I was uncomfortable with only 3 outer corners myself.So if it were my decision I would dress him. Countess & Joyner may be very good Nickles, Dimes Deep Safeties & even SS's in Wade's"D" but neither should see any amount of action @ outer corner. I have no ideal about John Johnson who is 6-1 205 good size but I do not recall seeing him in pre season @ outside corner do you?

Troy Hill will be available next week(SUP) if Webster is more damaged than originally thought. KW has not had a good start here for the Rams thus far he has been dinged up all TC & pre season now going out in the first quarter of the first gm of the season. Webster ended his 2016 season on the IR. Having a injured shoulder is nothing new to Webster ...A bit concerning ? Not being a starter since arriving in the NFL :whistle:& reviewing the injury list for a non starter:eek: ...take gander @ the below info:

2017..wk 2 Shoulder Questionable
2016 ..wk 17 Concussion Injured Reserve
2016..wk 6 Hamstring Questionable
2016..wk 5 Hamstring Out
2015 ..wk 4 Ankle Probable
2015..wk 3 Ankle Doubtful
2014 wk DC Shoulder Probable
2014 wk 17 Shoulder Probable
2014 wk 16 Shoulder Questionable
2014 wk15 Shoulder Questionable
2014 1wk4 Shoulder Out
2014 wk13 Shoulder Out
2014 wk9 Not Injury Related Probable
2014 wk 2 Ankle Probable
2014 wk 1 Ankle Probable
2013 wk SB Thumb Probable
2013 wk CC Thumb Probable
2013 wk DC Thumb Probable
2013 wk 6 Thumb Out
2013 wk 14 Ankle Probable
2013 wk 13 Ankle Probable
2013 1wk 1 Thigh Probable

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/kayvon-webster-player-injuries

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Troy Hill returning could be important.

John Johnson is good cover corner hybrid free safety.

That's a pretty major injury list for Kayvon Webster.
I have to wonder if him being nicked up all the time is why Denver didn't put much effort into trying to resign him.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I must add I thought the same for Wichmann at LG.
I couldn't believe we cut him either....I figured he'd be much improved. I saw this guy blocking Leonard Williams from SC one year at Fresno St. Oh well....so many of these linemen have gotten here and can't drive block.

Webster ended his 2016 season on the IR. Having a injured shoulder is nothing new to Webster ...A bit concerning ? Not being a starter since arriving in the NFL :whistle:& reviewing the injury list for a non starter:eek: ...take gander @ the below info:

That's a pretty major injury list for Kayvon Webster.
JEEZ! ....where the hell did Boni find that??? He needs to be removed from ANY special teams...either he is more fragile than I'd ever imagined, or he complains too much....

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Missed 5 games in 4 years? That's pretty solid I wonder if he can man the OLine? hehe