Rams sign OL Garrett Reynolds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Why do some people immediately go into bash-mode? Cut him some slack, will ya? He's a Ram now. At least wait to see him in training camp or preseason. The coaches obviously saw something on tape. This ain't Rams Talk.
AND he is only 27 yrs old and not the injury history of Joseph.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
HEY! This is Hacksaw's nephew. He gets instant respect until proven he might not warrant it. Everybody got that???????? Welcome to the team Reynolds!(y)

This!

Baby steps dudes. Depth piece that is related to Hacksaw? How cool is that?

Let's wait and see how it looks goin into the draft.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Why do some people immediately go into bash-mode? Cut him some slack, will ya? He's a Ram now. At least wait to see him in training camp or preseason. The coaches obviously saw something on tape. This ain't Rams Talk.

I don't think people are bashing the players necessarily, but they are bashing the fact that we don't seem to be signing (obvious) starting material on the o-line. We can't fix it through the draft alone.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i guess because the Rams dont have 5- 1st round picks on the Oline. Reynolds can play 2-4 positions on the line. not a bad backup in one signing.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I love the signing. He is better than any backup Olinemen on the roster at this point. He has starting experience and can play both Guard and Tackle. I don't see what there is to complain about with this signing.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I don't think it can be any WORSE than how Joseph played. Plus a $mil a year doesn't cost much.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I love the signing. He is better than any backup Olinemen on the roster at this point. He has starting experience and can play both Guard and Tackle. I don't see what there is to complain about with this signing.
Not just starting experience but playoff experience, something most of the Rams roster does not have!

I don't think anyone is complaining about him personally, only the Rams decisions on the o-line. Here's a good summary: http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...detroit-lions-free-agents-ol-garrett-reynolds

"He isn’t a bad lineman, but he isn’t a great lineman, either. He’s what you would want for depth, though, ... That said, if the Lions really focus on rebuilding the line, then Reynolds could easily end up searching for another home."​

The Rams should be focusing on rebuilding their line -- arguably more than the Lions? -- yet the Lions got rid of him while the Rams are welcoming him. I think that's what has people nervous, nothing personal against Reynolds.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I don't think people are bashing the players necessarily, but they are bashing the fact that we don't seem to be signing (obvious) starting material on the o-line. We can't fix it through the draft alone.
While many are very nervous starting multiple rookies on the O-Line, other teams have done it successfully. It's more a matter of the individual players ability and the length of time it takes for chemistry to kick in. Even if it takes half the season for the new players to 'get it', I have no problem adding 2 or 3 young high quality guys who start and perform well for the next several years. Doesn't seem to fit Fisher's M.O., but the team is up against the wall with so many open starting positions, ... and lack of depth. jmo.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
While many are very nervous starting multiple rookies on the O-Line, other teams have done it successfully. It's more a matter of the individual players ability and the length of time it takes for chemistry to kick in. Even if it takes half the season for the new players to 'get it', I have no problem adding 2 or 3 young high quality guys who start and perform well for the next several years. Doesn't seem to fit Fisher's M.O., but the team is up against the wall with so many open starting positions, ... and lack of depth. jmo.
Sure, that's going to make EVERYBODY nervous. But if it has to be that our Rams have to start two rookies on the OL, I would rather it be a RT and a LG. So we need a stout C in that scenario. Is there only one left?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sure, that's going to make EVERYBODY nervous. But if it has to be that our Rams have to start two rookies on the OL, I would rather it be a RT and a LG. So we need a stout C in that scenario. Is there only one left?
I trade way down in the 1'st for Flowers & trade up with our two 2'nd's for Erving. Then trade for a LG. (Mathis) F/A Center De La Puente to start until Erving is ready. jmo.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Lol no, I was talking about the current form of Joseph. I don't see this guy becoming a pro bowler all of a sudden in his 7th season.

Likely? Probably not.

Impossible? Well, Evan Mathis did nothing his first seven years in the league and some have considered him one of the best these past few years. From scrub to Pro Bowler. Go figure.

Either way, the Rams don't need a line loaded with Pro Bowlers to have a successful offense. Just 5 solid to above average guys on the same page.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Likely? Probably not.

Impossible? Well, Evan Mathis did nothing his first seven years in the league and some have considered him one of the best these past few years. From scrub to Pro Bowler. Go figure.

Either way, the Rams don't need a line loaded with Pro Bowlers to have a successful offense. Just 5 solid to above average guys on the same page.

There is always the possibility that Joseph was hurt. His play declined in Tampa the year before we signed him - and it continued that way with the Rams last year - but if there was some nagging cartilage issue or some such thing that can be taken care off in the offseason and allow him to get a full offseason of strength and conditioning under his belt he could come back better. The concerning thing for me with Joseph last year was that it didn't seem to be a scheme thing as to why he didn't play well - he just got physically overwhelmed. Manhandled like maids at Joe Biden's house...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Likely? Probably not.

And that is an attainable goal for this offseason.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not just starting experience but playoff experience, something most of the Rams roster does not have!

I don't think anyone is complaining about him personally, only the Rams decisions on the o-line. Here's a good summary: http://espn.go.com/blog/detroit-lio...detroit-lions-free-agents-ol-garrett-reynolds

"He isn’t a bad lineman, but he isn’t a great lineman, either. He’s what you would want for depth, though, ... That said, if the Lions really focus on rebuilding the line, then Reynolds could easily end up searching for another home."​

The Rams should be focusing on rebuilding their line -- arguably more than the Lions? -- yet the Lions got rid of him while the Rams are welcoming him. I think that's what has people nervous, nothing personal against Reynolds.

Raiders got rid of Barksdale and many are sweating out his possible re-signing.

RamBill

Legend
Rams add free-agent OT from Detroit
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_96744a79-f61f-5942-94ac-3994370080f1.html

Addressing a need on a razor-thin offensive line, the Rams signed free-agent offensive tackle Garrett Reynolds to a two-year, $2.2 million deal, the team announced Wednesday. (With incentives it can max out at $4.2 million.)

Reynolds, 27, started four games for Detroit last season at right tackle. He spent most of training camp at guard, and as the fifth interior lineman on the roster, was released during the final round of roster cuts.

But the Lions lost both of their top right tackles in the season opener, and Reynolds was re-signed and started the next three games there.

He spent his previous five seasons with the Atlanta Falcons, who drafted him in the fifth round out of North Carolina in 2009.

Overall, Reynolds, 6-7, 305, has played in 52 games with 27 starts in the NFL, and had starting experience at guard with the Falcons. For three consecutive seasons in Atlanta, he opened the season as the team's starting right guard, but could never hold the job.

Rams offensive line coach Paul Boudreau was in Atlanta with Reynolds from 2009 through 2011, so there is a familiarity factor.

Until adding Reynolds, the Rams had only seven offensive linemen under contract, and only two (Greg Robinson and Rodger Saffold) who had started an NFL regular-season game.

Reynolds had never started more than 10 games in an NFL season, and appears to be more of a depth addition than necessarily an opening-day starter at guard or tackle.

He's the nephew of former Rams linebacker Jack "Hacksaw" Reynolds.

RamBill

Legend
St. Louis Rams Sign OL Garrett Reynolds
by Patrick Karraker

http://archauthority.com/2015/03/18/st-louis-rams-sign-ol-garrett-reynolds/

The St. Louis Rams finally made some sort of move to address their offensive line, which has been stripped bare by free agency and cap-conserving cuts, signing veteran offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds to a two-year contract worth $2.2 million. The 27-year-old Reynolds will become the seventh lineman who the Rams officially have in the fold for the 2015 season.

On a team that does not have many experienced depth options at the moment, Reynolds is a nice, versatile player to have around. After playing primarily right tackle during his college career at North Carolina, Reynolds played exclusively guard for the Atlanta Falcons from 2009 to 2013, starting in 23 games while appearing in 42 overall. After being released by the Falcons in February of last year, Reynolds signed with the Detroit Lions as training camp opened. He went on to start four games for them at right tackle while appearing in two more on a rotational basis.

Reynolds fits the profile of a typical long and lean Jeff Fisher offensive tackle, as he’s listed at 6-foot-7 but at times has been listed as tall as 6-foot-8, and he most recently weighed in at a svelte 310 pounds. In an ideal scenario, Reynolds probably serves as an experienced swing backup for starting tackles Greg Robinson and Joe Barksdale (who is still on the free agent market at the moment). The Rams didn’t have that type of player last year, as Robinson and Rodger Saffold, the team’s starting guards, were the primary backup tackles, with inexperienced Mike Person serving as the emergency option. (In addition, the Rams obviously made a misstep in allowing practice squad tackle Mike Remmers to escape to the Carolina Panthers midway through the season; Remmers went on to start the last five games of the regular season plus two playoff contests for Carolina.)

The reality is that Reynolds may also end up competing for the Rams’ other vacant guard position if no more established free agent options are brought into the fold. The team is expected to address the guard position in the middle rounds of the draft, but with an unproven rookie experiencing the grind of the NFL for the first time, guys like Reynolds and long-term project Brandon Washington will likely end up pushing for a starting spot.