Rams sign OL Garrett Reynolds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zombie Slayer

You are entitled to nothing.
Name
Dave
I still don't see why people are being impatient. Those big names people want have not signed with anyone. Until they all sign with a team other than the Rams, we should wait and see what happens before getting worried.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
While many are very nervous starting multiple rookies on the O-Line, other teams have done it successfully. It's more a matter of the individual players ability and the length of time it takes for chemistry to kick in. Even if it takes half the season for the new players to 'get it', I have no problem adding 2 or 3 young high quality guys who start and perform well for the next several years. Doesn't seem to fit Fisher's M.O., but the team is up against the wall with so many open starting positions, ... and lack of depth. jmo.

It beats over pAying for a Wells & J.Long & have them go on DL.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I still don't see why people are being impatient. Those big names people want have not signed with anyone. Until they all sign with a team other than the Rams, we should wait and see what happens before getting worried.
Thoughts on the draft last year ??
My thing is Rams can just load up on the position.Like they did last year with The DB's

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Who signed for more $$$$ money last year ????
Shelly Smith or Persons ???

1.Hawksaws newphew.Look at where it started wrong for The Rams.
2.Plays OT & OG with maybe upside ?
3.played w/(q#94),Fairly,$ for OL coach.
4.Snead was the scout that helped draft the guy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
HEY! This is Hacksaw's nephew. He gets instant respect until proven he might not warrant it. Everybody got that???????? Welcome to the team Reynolds!(y)
Blood-Lines, Great, instant Cred with me! ( His uncle was the best LB we ever had, IMO!) If he's half as good as his uncle was at his position he'll be fine!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/5377/garrett-reynolds

Former 2009 5th round selection of the Falcons. They said that Paul Boudreau wanted Reynolds to play Right OT. He stayed in that hunt until 2011 when he was moved to starting ORG.

Reynolds replaced Harvey Dahl as the starting ORG in 2011. By Nov 6th Reynold performance was real bad & was benched. In 2012 Reynolds was once again a favorite to start @ ORG. Reynolds did start 6 games @ ORG but was placed on IR in November 2012 due to a back injury.

In 2013 Reynolds was once again heavy involved in competition @ as the starting ORT but settled for being a swing OG & back up ORT. But he missed the final 9 games of 2013 due to injury again.The Falcons released Reynolds early 2014.

Detroit signed Reynolds in July of 2014 & was cut in late August. But resigned later and played in 10 games & started 4 on the right side for the Lions in 2014.

Looks to be primarily a right side OL'er who can play OG & OT but has not been good as a starter in fact he has been bad.

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Thoughts on the draft last year ??
My thing is Rams can just load up on the position.Like they did last year with The DB's
If they were as adept at assessing, procuring and coaching Oline personnel as they are at Defensive Tackle, we'd be set!

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
There is nothing wrong with having the versatile swing backup-type on the roster that can fill-in short term. The problem (invariably happens to the Rams every year it seems) arises when these swing players end up logging significant playing time due the projected starter missing significant playing time. The fact remains that the Rams need warm bodies with some experience on the offensive line and Reynolds brings both. With Reynolds the Rams now have 8 of the 14-15 usually allotted training camp slots filled so that means that they still need to bring in 6-7 more linemen. Even if they add a couple or three drafted rookies and maybe a couple more undrafted rookies, then they still need to bring in at least a couple more FA vets as well.

Aside from Saffold and Robinson do the Rams actually have one or two of their starters out of Jones, Rhaney, Washington, Bond, Baker, and/or Reynolds? I would venture to guess that one of them will be a starting in 2016 and at least 3 are on the final roster.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
While many are very nervous starting multiple rookies on the O-Line, other teams have done it successfully. It's more a matter of the individual players ability and the length of time it takes for chemistry to kick in. Even if it takes half the season for the new players to 'get it', I have no problem adding 2 or 3 young high quality guys who start and perform well for the next several years. Doesn't seem to fit Fisher's M.O., but the team is up against the wall with so many open starting positions, ... and lack of depth. jmo.
the problem with this as it pertains to the offensive line. It is not solely about the "individual players ability", as it is about the sum of the parts.

It's in vogue right now to bash this regime for their apparent lack of ability to put together a "successful' unit. I couldn't disagree more with that mindset. The biggest issue for this regime, hasn't been the "plan" or the players signed. It's been the onslaught of injuries that they have had to endure in the time they have been here. The most successful O-lines are primarily the ones where the same five guys reamin on the field for the entire season. Sure having a Pro-Bowl caliber player amongst them doesn't hurt. But go back to the GSOT days. Other than Pace,and to a lesser extent, Adam Timmerman, the other guys on those teams were never household names. Tom Nutten, Andy McCollum, Tucker, Gruttadoria, etc. But as a unit, they were outstanding. For the old time STL Cardiac Cardinal fans, they had arguably the best OL in history for those few years. Again, other than Dan Deirdorf, none of the other guys were considered ProBowl talents. But as a unit, they ALL played at a ProBolw level. Tom Banks? Really? Roger Finney? Bob Young? The one thing they had in common, was they ALL were on the field for the entire season.

My point is, the plan they put in place was sound. Bringing in Jake Long, AND Scott Wells were great moves. If they had stayed on the field, and if Saffold would have stayed healthy for an entire 16 game schedule, this OL unit would have been very good.

I know many will come back at me saying they should have "planned" for these players to get hurt, as they have a history of injuries. Well, my reply to that, is ANY player can get hurt on any play, so planning for injuries just is a waste of time. They don't have a crystal ball.

Having COST EFFECTIVE depth players is the only way to protect yourself. But when a team is forced to play as many different players in a single season as the Rams have been forced to use, no "plan" is gonna look good at the end of the day.

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point is, the plan they put in place was sound. Bringing in Jake Long, AND Scott Wells were great moves. If they had stayed on the field, and if Saffold would have stayed healthy for an entire 16 game schedule, this OL unit would have been very good.

I totally agree.

Cant predict injuries. And with Long, at least they had the wherewithal to write it in to his contract to protect against injury.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
We should have been building through the draft two years ago for the o-line, we just don't have the abundance of picks this year, I have no problem in starting rookies at all - my way of thinking is if you're good enough then you should play no matter your age or experience...
We agree but the dinosaur Fisher is very,very set in his ways and its a very long history with him and no rookies on his O-Line. Us taking a 1st round OL last year I think was a first or at least until shown the only time Jeff has broken down and done it. Yet he even tried to get another 1st rounder but dallas jumped ahead of our deal with the Ravens and stole the stud OL that was almost offensive ROY last season. Without Snead fighting for us we'd be screwed. I'm sure Snead talked Fisher away from his man crush on Bradford and got us the deal for Foles and probably had to tie Fisher up in a chair as he pulled the trigger.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
Since Fisher took over - they signed a multiple All-Pro LT to his second contract. They signed a pro bowl center. They drafted an OT with the #2 pick in the draft. They re-signed the top OL that they inherited. They've also drafted a number of OL, and signed some other, lesser ones.

Their moves haven't worked out all that great, yes. But it's just not true that they haven't been paying attention to the OL.
It has been a bit of seriously bad luck with regards to their free agents. My point is, the draft picks they have spent on OL with the glaring exception of GRob last year, have been 6th or 7th fliers. Plus they brought in UDFA's. If they had done their homework, there were bargains in the 4th and 5th round to develop. If Jones (I love that name) can actually contribute this year, I will back off on this train of thinking.

Tailback

Starter
Name
Taco Jones
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. Dating back to 2009, the Rams have invested greatly in the OL with the following players via the draft or FA:

Jason Brown
Jason Smith
Rodger Saffold
Harvey Dahl
Scott Wells
Jake Long
Greg Robinson

It's unfortunate that 2(Saffold,Dahl)-potentially 3 with GRob-provided above average play for multiple seasons after all those draft picks/$ were invested.
I should have been more clear. The CURRENT Rams organization. My bad...

Memphis Ram

Legend
We agree but the dinosaur Fisher is very,very set in his ways and its a very long history with him and no rookies on his O-Line. Us taking a 1st round OL last year I think was a first or at least until shown the only time Jeff has broken down and done it. Yet he even tried to get another 1st rounder but dallas jumped ahead of our deal with the Ravens and stole the stud OL that was almost offensive ROY last season. Without Snead fighting for us we'd be screwed. I'm sure Snead talked Fisher away from his man crush on Bradford and got us the deal for Foles and probably had to tie Fisher up in a chair as he pulled the trigger.

I'm almost sure former Rams Jacob Bell (5th Rounder) started as a rookie for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. And I'm sure that David Stewart (4th Rounder) started as a rookie for him.

Edit. Yeah I was right.

BTW, he's also had a few second year starters in Michael Roos (2nd Rounder), Benji Olson (5th Rounder), Justin Hartwig (6th Rounder), Kevin Long (7th Rounder), Jon Runyan (4th Rounder).

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I'm almost sure former Rams Jacob Bell (5th Rounder) started as a rookie for Jeff Fisher in Tennessee. And I'm sure that David Stewart (4th Rounder) started as a rookie for him.

Edit. Yeah I was right.

BTW, he's also had a few second year starters in Michael Roos (2nd Rounder), Benji Olson (5th Rounder), Justin Hartwig (6th Rounder), Kevin Long (7th Rounder), Jon Runyan (4th Rounder).

Sorry but in 20 plus years as a Head Coach Jeff Fisher has had only two players to start a game for him as a rookie. You forced me to do some homework and David Stewart did'nt start or play in a game his rookie year as you posted above. I was only commenting on starting rookies as I'm sure tons of second year players have played for Fisher I never even mentioned that. Glad to have your Tennessee Imput Memphis Ram.

I was pretty sure about Fisher and his very long track record with offensive lineman . He has such a defensive career in football from his playing days in college to his NFL defensive career and its very interesting to see him climb the assistant coaching ladder with tons of RAMS ties over his career and coaching for the John Robinson Rams who ran the ball so well in the early 80's you'd think he'd place more value on those blockers that made it all happen.

With only 2 lineman in over 20+ years as a head coach to see the field as a rookie. Greg Robinson the #2 player in the whole draft expected to be ELITE in such a very high pick had to wait to get on the field behind a veteran player we all saw in Joseph last year. Yes Joseph was an ORG and G.Rob was started as an OLG then moved to OLT when J. Long got hurt. Some said Greg was slow in learning his positions and learning two positions set him back. So we finally got to see our Elite #2 player picked get to start only after an injury while Joseph was already stinking on ice.

We see a major deadlock in free agency with lots of tems interested but usually someone will just overpay for the average player. Its not happening this year with Wisneiwski and our J. Barksdale. Even the Seahawks who normally are able to sign who they want so a player has a good shot at a ring could'nt get a contract signed with Wis. They know he is just an average or C rated player. I personally think Wis has priced himself out of reach with more numbers coming out that he wants at least 5 Mill a season as he was replaced by a guy who got an outrageous contract over 7+ Mill a year paid by the Raiders with a history of crazy contracts but last year backed out of overpaying for Saffold and he signed with us.

Who will be our starting Center this year ? Lots of speculation as we have 3 huge holes to fill on our offensive line . How many rookies will Fisher start this year? Fisher broke his long standing record and last year was his first 1st round offensive lineman drafted. Snead also had a deal to trade back into round #1 for Zack Martin who Snead has as his #8 talent in the whole draft behind Aaron Donald we picked up with our second 1st round pick. Dallas jumped up and grabbed Martin and solidified their OL and they finally made the playoffs. Martin was awesome as a rookie. Yes better than G. Rob but many have said G. Rob has a higher ceiling playing at OLT. We will all see.

Teams are signing backup swing players as we just did with Reynolds and are talking to bring back Barnes.I think maybe to compete for starting Center. The titans who brought in Barksdale just signed another swing OT instead of Joe B. How long these few FA OL will sit unsigned is a mystery. I just know we can get an elite guard to start and Collins from LSU could start as our ORT and be just as good as Barksdale with I'm sure struggles as Joe B. had last year with the speed rushers.

My point is will Fisher play the lesser vets over our newly drafted OL that could do just as well and need the reps to grow? Because I'm a Rams diehard fan does'nt mean I have to love everything Fisher does as our HC. Thank goodness for Snead and his value board which saw Martin Donald so high on his board last year. I hope his board is the same this year with it being a down year for Tackles and Centers and a big year for Offensive guards as another year of depth at WR too. Hope the FA drought breaks soon. Wis is an average C rated center that wants 5 Mill a year and I say PAY HIM . Thats just me and my opinion. He's young and uninjured and maybe needs a boot in his arse. Tired of the old injured overpaid guys with long contracts. We picked up Barksdale from raiders and at least made him serviceable and he played 16 games and was'nt a St. Clair type of liability as that will strike fear in some Rams fans who remember those days.

Back to my knitting. Hope things break soon for us. Hope seachickens don't get Wis.

Last edited:

RamBill

Legend
Breaking down OL Garrett Reynolds' contract with Rams
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...g-down-ol-garrett-reynolds-contract-with-rams

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- The St. Louis Rams invested a little money in their offensive line earlier this week when they signed offensive lineman Garrett Reynolds to a two-year deal.

Reynolds is expected to bolster the team's depth at tackle and guard and received a deal that would fall in line with such a role. Overall, the contract is worth $2.2 million with nearly $250,000 guaranteed.

For those that like to track the numbers of such deals, here's the breakdown of Reynolds' contract with numbers courtesy of ESPN Stats & Information:

Base salary: $750,000
Roster bonus: $249,999 (paid today)
Cash charge: $999,999
Cap charge: $999,999
Other bonuses: Has up to $1 million in not likely to be earned incentives based on playing time and team performance.

Base salary: $1,050,000
Roster bonus: $150,021 (to be paid on the fifth day of the 2016 league year)
Cash charge: $1,200,021
Cap charge: $1,200,021
Other bonuses: Has up to $1 million not likely to be earned incentives based on playing time and team performance.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Sorry but in 20 plus years as a Head Coach Jeff Fisher has had only two players to start a game for him as a rookie. You forced me to do some homework and David Stewart did'nt start or play in a game his rookie year as you posted above. I was only commenting on starting rookies as I'm sure tons of second year players have played for Fisher I never even mentioned that. Glad to have your Tennessee Imput Memphis Ram.

I was pretty sure about Fisher and his very long track record with offensive lineman . He has such a defensive career in football from his playing days in college to his NFL defensive career and its very interesting to see him climb the assistant coaching ladder with tons of RAMS ties over his career and coaching for the John Robinson Rams who ran the ball so well in the early 80's you'd think he'd place more value on those blockers that made it all happen.

With only 2 lineman in over 20+ years as a head coach to see the field as a rookie. Greg Robinson the #2 player in the whole draft expected to be ELITE in such a very high pick had to wait to get on the field behind a veteran player we all saw in Joseph last year. Yes Joseph was an ORG and G.Rob was started as an OLG then moved to OLT when J. Long got hurt. Some said Greg was slow in learning his positions and learning two positions set him back. So we finally got to see our Elite #2 player picked get to start only after an injury while Joseph was already stinking on ice.

We see a major deadlock in free agency with lots of tems interested but usually someone will just overpay for the average player. Its not happening this year with Wisneiwski and our J. Barksdale. Even the Seahawks who normally are able to sign who they want so a player has a good shot at a ring could'nt get a contract signed with Wis. They know he is just an average or C rated player. I personally think Wis has priced himself out of reach with more numbers coming out that he wants at least 5 Mill a season as he was replaced by a guy who got an outrageous contract over 7+ Mill a year paid by the Raiders with a history of crazy contracts but last year backed out of overpaying for Saffold and he signed with us.

Who will be our starting Center this year ? Lots of speculation as we have 3 huge holes to fill on our offensive line . How many rookies will Fisher start this year? Fisher broke his long standing record and last year was his first 1st round offensive lineman drafted. Snead also had a deal to trade back into round #1 for Zack Martin who Snead has as his #8 talent in the whole draft behind Aaron Donald we picked up with our second 1st round pick. Dallas jumped up and grabbed Martin and solidified their OL and they finally made the playoffs. Martin was awesome as a rookie. Yes better than G. Rob but many have said G. Rob has a higher ceiling playing at OLT. We will all see.

Teams are signing backup swing players as we just did with Reynolds and are talking to bring back Barnes.I think maybe to compete for starting Center. The titans who brought in Barksdale just signed another swing OT instead of Joe B. How long these few FA OL will sit unsigned is a mystery. I just know we can get an elite guard to start and Collins from LSU could start as our ORT and be just as good as Barksdale with I'm sure struggles as Joe B. had last year with the speed rushers.

My point is will Fisher play the lesser vets over our newly drafted OL that could do just as well and need the reps to grow? Because I'm a Rams diehard fan does'nt mean I have to love everything Fisher does as our HC. Thank goodness for Snead and his value board which saw Martin Donald so high on his board last year. I hope his board is the same this year with it being a down year for Tackles and Centers and a big year for Offensive guards as another year of depth at WR too. Hope the FA drought breaks soon. Wis is an average C rated center that wants 5 Mill a year and I say PAY HIM . Thats just me and my opinion. He's young and uninjured and maybe needs a boot in his arse. Tired of the old injured overpaid guys with long contracts. We picked up Barksdale from raiders and at least made him serviceable and he played 16 games and was'nt a St. Clair type of liability as that will strike fear in some Rams fans who remember those days.

Back to my knitting. Hope things break soon for us. Hope seachickens don't get Wis.

Not sure who is going to start at Center, but I read somewhere that the team was kinda high on the 7th rounder they sent to IR last year (Rhaney). I would hope that he Rams pick up someone like Brian de la Puente on a vet minimum deal or close to compete vs. paying Wisniewski $5 million per season.

You're right Stewart didn't start as a rookie. It was Michael Roos who started as a rookie at RT and then Stewart took over at RT when he then moved over to LT during his second season. So that would give him three rookie starters. BTW, Robinson started at LG next to Jake Long in game 5 and Joseph was benched. Long got hurt two weeks later and then Robinson moved to LT.

In the end, I have a hard time believing that Jeff Fisher would override his OLine coaches as to who starts and who does not.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Do you think Memphis that Fishers coach's already know what Fisher has done for 20 years and how he likes to run things as only having 3 rookies that have started in 20 seasons? You don't think they speak about it or know an unspoken style Jeff runs as we have seen many rookies at many positions struggle to see the field and once they did they succeeded and improved the team? I'm talking our Vandy RB and #12 taking so long to get a shot at WR and I have so many more that should have played long before they did. Not just OL. I'm worried about our coaching staff and the delay in certain players making it to the field.

I can't put it all on Fisher as our team is the slowest starting team in the league and getting our new talent out earlier and using them correctly are high on my list of questions. I can't just blindly think they know whats best as I've seen it too many times in Fishers stint as HC. So glas Schotty is gone and really hope they have some new ideas in getting Austin the ball that plays to his strengths and stop using him as a RB as was successfull for TA in college at WV but lets not try that in the big leagues please. De la Puente reminds me too much of Wells as Wells was top rated when we got him and he busted . De La Puente did'nt get resigned by the bears.

If we have the money lets fill the biggest and hardest hole to fill for Foles sake if nothing else as I'd bet Barnes end up starting at this rate now. Thats not hopefull when we had cut him I'm sure thinking we could do much better. This is all on Fisher. We need 3 OL draftees and about 4 UDFA OL to see if we can get lucky.