Rams select Tyler Higbee TE with #110 Overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Fits a big need that Rams haven't had for a while. Perfect help for Goff.

Got to think Fisher and Co did their research on legal issues. I don't know the outcome but imagine it won't have a big impact on his ability to be on the field. Hopefully, it will be a wakeup call for Tyler.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...bee-western-kentucky-nfl-draft-2016-tight-end

Tight end prospect Tyler Higbee arrested for assault 18 days before the NFL Draft
By Adam Stites@AdamBCC on Apr 12, 2016

usa-today-8851136.0.jpg

Joshua Lindsey-USA TODAY Sports

One of the more athletic and promising tight ends of the 2016 NFL Draft, Western Kentucky's Tyler Higbee, was arrested early Sunday morning for second-degree assault, public intoxication and evading police, according to Warren County Regional Jail records.

According to a police report obtained by Zach Greenwell of the Bowling Green Daily News, Higbee punched a man outside a Kentucky bar and left the victim with a brain hemorrhage. As of Monday morning, the victim is in stable condition, but still unresponsive.

The victim, Nawaf Alsaleh, was found by police lying unconscious in a bar parking lot "with blood running from his mouth." Via Greenwell:

Higbee stated that Alsaleh got in the "personal space" of him and his girlfriend "and was calling his friends telling them to come to their location to fight Higbee."

"I asked Higbee how he knew that because Higbee said Alsaleh was speaking in a language he did not understand," the officer wrote in the report. "Higbee said that he 'just knew.' "

Once at the jail, Higbee told the officer "that Alsaleh never tried to fight him or come after him as if he was going to harm him. Higbee just said that Alsaleh got into his and (his girlfriend's) personal space so he hit Alsaleh," according to the report.

Higbee maintains it was self-defense and intends to plead not guilty, his attorney told NFL Media.

Higbee was one of only two Western Kentucky players invited to the NFL Combine in February, but didn't participate in drills due to a knee injury suffered late in the 2015 season. However, he impressed at his pro day despite still not being healthy enough to participate fully.

Before the arrest, one NFL tight ends coach told Jody Demling of Scout.com that it would be a surprise if Higbee didn't get picked before the fourth round. He was drawing plenty of recent interest from teams, too, including a visit with the Denver Broncosand a workout with the New Orleans Saints. He was reportedly drawing attention from coaches of the Cincinnati Bengals and Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead.

Higbee caught 38 passes for 563 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior, but missed five games due to injury.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/30/11544616/los-angeles-rams-nfl-draft-2016-tyler-higbee

Rams take risk on tight end Tyler Higbee despite off-field concerns
By Adam Stites@AdamBCC on Apr 30, 2016

usa-today-8954483.0.jpg

Joshua Lindsey-USA TODAY Sports

The Los Angeles Rams made a risky selection on Saturday, taking Western Kentucky tight end Tyler Higbee with the No. 110 overall selection despite recent concerns about his off-field conduct.

Higbee was arrested less than three weeks before the beginning of the 2016 NFL Draft after an altercation outside of a bar in Kentucky. The police report said that Higbee punched a man that got into "his and (his girlfriend's) personal space." The man was left lying unconscious in the bar parking lot and was hospitalized with a brain hemorrhage.

Higbee's lawyer told NFL Media that the tight end intends to plead not guilty and maintains the incident happened in self defense.

On the field, there's no question that Higbee is one of the most talented and intriguing talents at tight end in the entire draft class. No tight end was taken in the first round, and Higbee's talent made him an early fourth-round selection, despite the off-field concerns.

The Rams cut ties Jared Cook earlier in the offseason and the talented tight end signed with the Green Bay Packers instead, so adding Higbee promises give No. 1 selection Jared Goff a target to throw to, so long as his conduct away from the football field doesn't keep him from having the influence on the team that Los Angeles has in mind.

rfa77

UDFA
We definitely live in a different time. What, exactly, is a guy supposed to do these days if somebody is getting in your space and harassing you and/or your girlfriend? This may be, in part, what's wrong with this PC infested society. We frown on people defending themselves and putting punks in their place.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We definitely live in a different time. What, exactly, is a guy supposed to do these days if somebody is getting in your space and harassing you and/or your girlfriend? This may be, in part, what's wrong with this PC infested society. We frown on people defending themselves and putting punks in their place.

Walk away. Or call the cops. Or have one of your boys punch him in the face. ;)

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
I will say a prayer for the unfortunate dude Tyler knocked out. I hope the poor man recovers and lives a long life. But there's a silver lining. How fortunate for Rams that Tyler got in a fight, otherwise he wouldn't have sitting there in the 4th round! Because,

Of all the TE's in the 2016 class Tyler Higbee has a best combination athleticism and size. I compare him to a poor man's Jimmy Graham. (Except Tyler is more then willing to block)

Tyler has a Greek God body before the metamorphose of going God. In other words, he's 6'6" with thick, wide shoulders, wasp waist, and powerful legs. Hard to tackle and that's where his injury issues come from. Defenders go for his knees. But that's the lone caveat on Tyler Higbee.

Although Higbee needs to add weight ( He started out as a WR) and work on his blocking technique, in college he wasn't afraid to mix it up and run block. He's an aggressive Dude. Tyler will use his body like a basketball player to block out defenders and long arms to give Goff a big target with a huge catch radius! Tyler has the great hands ( He only dropped one pass). He's one of those receivers who make difficult catches look easy and routine. Running like a WR, Tyler has a very smooth gait and fires off the line of scrimmage.

On top of that Higbee is hard to bring down because he has speed, thus tacklers hands slip off Tyler as if he were a greased pig who also bulldozes over would be tacklers. There's power in them legs! :wow: Like I said earlier Tyler will be more than willing to block for Gurley, often overcoming technique issues with determination. Recipe? Add weight and teach Tyler technique and we could have one of the steals of the 2016 draft.

Bottom line...Best hands and highest ceiling of any Tight End in the draft!:yay::yess:

So why did Tyler slip down draft boards?
1. He got in a fight
2. He had more than one injury.
3. Because of injuries, Tyler saw limited action on the field. He missed 5 games because of sprang knee in 2015.

Barring injuries and the fight, Tyler would have been the first or second Tight End off the board.

In order for Tyler Higbee to succeed at the NFL level , I expect Fisher to incrementally plug Tyler situationally into the Rams offense. Don't be surprised to see Tyler line up as a Wide Receiver in three or four WR sets. Expect to see Tyler early and often as REDZONE TARGE for Goff the Golden Boy.

As Tyler gains weight, experience, and Higbee's injuries heal and disappear into
Time's rearview mirror expect to see our long awaited ALL Pro Rams Tight End appear History's headlights.:party:

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Freaking love this pick man ... I love me some TE and reckon they can a be an absolute weapon ..imagine the Scene .... tavon in motion play action fake to Gurley ...Goff throws a bomb down the seam to higbee

Man hurry up and get here season

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Seriously?

"Higbee told the officer "that Alsaleh never tried to fight him or come after him as if he was going to harm him. Higbee just said that Alsaleh got into his and (his girlfriend's) personal space so he hit Alsaleh," according to the report."

So a man gets close to you and you knock him out? The law refers to that as assault and battery. The punishment for that is usually harsh unless its a first-time offense. The best that Higbee can hope for is probation, a fine, and probably a civil suit that will cost him millions. If the man dies, doesn't wake up, or wakes up brain damaged then Higbee is screwed and the Rams have wasted a pick.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Walk away. Or call the cops. Or have one of your boys punch him in the face. ;)
Call the cops?
That won't do a damp thing. They probably wouldn't even arrive until hours later, if at all, knowing it's NOT an emergency.

Walk away is usually an option, but not always.
Some guys just aren't going to lay off. And when they dont, you don't wait to take the first punch. You stand up c or yourself.

I also think this wouldn't have been always issue had his girl not been involved.
I know I'm a bit easier to upset when someone is a possible threat to someone I care about.

This whole thing has blown way out of proportion. A guy got hit that may have been asking for it.

I like what Vermeil said about Ryan Tucker after being asked if he had an issue with Tuckers roll in bar fight. (Back in the 1997 draft)
Vermeils response was, " He won the fight".

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Man, the Rams fucking NAILED this 4th round!!! Love it!!!!!!:grouphug::cheers:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am a big supporter of WK QB Brandon Doughty and have watched most of there games over the last season and a half. This kid was a stud and stuck out like a sore thumb.
He's a solid 2nd rounder before this, and make no mistake he wasn't an innocent bystander there. If the 49ers or Seahawks drafted him in the 4th we'd be eviscerating them for it, but eff them, he's our guy and I hope the kid learns from his mistake and grows up in a hurry.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Call the cops?
That won't do a damp thing. They probably wouldn't even arrive until hours later, if at all, knowing it's NOT an emergency.

Walk away is usually an option, but not always.
Some guys just aren't going to lay off. And when they dont, you don't wait to take the first punch. You stand up c or yourself.

I also think this wouldn't have been always issue had his girl not been involved.
I know I'm a bit easier to upset when someone is a possible threat to someone I care about.

This whole thing has blown way out of proportion. A guy got hit that may have been asking for it.

I like what Vermeil said about Ryan Tucker after being asked if he had an issue with Tuckers roll in bar fight. (Back in the 1997 draft)
Vermeils response was, " He won the fight".

Then you deal with the consequences. Which includes breaking the law and risking that you might kill or cause serious bodily harm to another person and ruin your life. Or you can walk away.

None of us were there that day. But I have a hard time believing Higbee had no option but to punch the guy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Then you deal with the consequences. Which includes breaking the law and risking that you might kill or cause serious bodily harm to another person and ruin your life. Or you can walk away.

None of us were there that day. But I have a hard time believing Higbee had no option but to punch the guy.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I'm just saying he may have been out of other options.
I've been there.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Just call the police, it's harassment, however, I don't disagree with you because a younger me, would have done the same thing.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just call the police, it's harassment, however, I don't disagree with you because a younger me, would have done the same thing.
And I'm not justifying what the kid did but we all know the police aren't likely to respond right away, the reports are this guy followed Higbee and his GF from one bar to a second so he'd already showed he'd follow them and keep harassing them. It's a stupid thing that both people seem to have done and Higbee got violent which never solves anything. Hopefully for us the kid learned from this experience and has grown up thanks to it.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Call the cops and give them a little time to arrive. If they don't, lay the guy out. And then when the law gets involved, at least your on record trying to get the cops involved. Self defence is a lock then.