Rams select Tyler Higbee TE with #110 Overall

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I know plenty of great guys who have knocked someone out cold... Hell that's over half the Infantry in our armed forces, and the vast majority of them are amazing people.

If he makes a habit of it, then we will have lost a 4th rounder... Plenty of teams lose 4th rounders. Obviously I wouldn't be happy if that happened, but the talent is there, and Fisher is a good coach. I not worried about him.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I see some people talking about laying out the person if it were them. There are ways not to knock out your opponent, but rather control and/or subdue them until police officers come. My wife and I do Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and we feel comfortable protecting ourselves against an average person on the streets. If someone enters our personal space out in public as a threatening situation we are always told to keep our hands up in case they try to strike the face. If they strike we block/dodge and close the distance to clinch, and take them down. On the ground that's where we are most comfortable.

What's weird doing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is that it makes you more humble, and not get into those situations. I get choked, arm-barred, knee-barred, or just plain submitted when I train about 4-5 days a week. What's nice is that it's a place where my wife or I can choke each other and there's no domestic violence report. Lol!! It makes you very humbled, and if you don't lose that ego....You will not last long in this Martial Art.

My thing is that Tyler didn't have the right knowledge to diffuse the situation.

Totally agree, me, my son and two daughters train RMNU BJJ under Robson Moura.

Take them to the ground and lock 'em up. If they're dangerous, nap 'em out.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Love the player, but have serious reservations about the person. I hope he learns from that experience and works on becoming a better person going forward. With that said, he could be the seam killer this team has been looking for... FOREVER!

There's a lot of assumptions here that he's actually guilty of something. We should let it play out. Sounds to me like he and his GF were stalked and approached more than once.

It also depends on the state. Most states, under the circumstances as I know them, would not blink to call this justified, Others will demand he meet an unrealistic PC level of self protection.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
When you're young, and you're with your lady, you don't stop to think about repercussions if someone insults her, or messes with her, or even flirts with her in your presence. I had a dude (already drunk) walk into a bar while I was with a friend (not even a GF or date) and smacked her right on the ass while she was sitting on a stool. I had no emotional attachment to this chick at all, and I lost my everloving mind & ended up on the floor trying to choke a fool out. I don't blame Higbee one bit if this story is true. You don't freak with another man's woman unless you *want* to get knocked out.
We are absolutely wired that way. And we all know it because we are men. We're so naturally wired to protect that when see that situation arise unprovoked, we may often not even consider it an act of aggression against the other person, but rather to us as the expected result. (Especially when children are potentially threatened)

So the only real variable in that situation is the person challenged. I mean the aggressor has already measured his target and decided that an advantage has been ascertained and put thought into properly provoking the appropriate response. Now it's up to the target to respond to the situation.

And this is where I think it gets interesting, because often the most defensible response is the one that actually requires sociopathic behavior. Stay calm, call the police, make a report, basically build a case to respond, and escalate as necessary to achieve the desired result.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I see some people talking about laying out the person if it were them. There are ways not to knock out your opponent, but rather control and/or subdue them until police officers come. My wife and I do Gracie Jiu-Jitsu, and we feel comfortable protecting ourselves against an average person on the streets. If someone enters our personal space out in public as a threatening situation we are always told to keep our hands up in case they try to strike the face. If they strike we block/dodge and close the distance to clinch, and take them down. On the ground that's where we are most comfortable.

What's weird doing Gracie Jiu-Jitsu is that it makes you more humble, and not get into those situations. I get choked, arm-barred, knee-barred, or just plain submitted when I train about 4-5 days a week. What's nice is that it's a place where my wife or I can choke each other and there's no domestic violence report. Lol!! It makes you very humbled, and if you don't lose that ego....You will not last long in this Martial Art.

My thing is that Tyler didn't have the right knowledge to diffuse the situation.
Knowledge and experience both. Most people's nerves get rattled by a non controlled situation.

It's weird, right? I'm sure that if you had to, you'd rather get caught up in an altercation against someone who has trained in at least some martial art.

I think some people have the impression that it's teaching violence, but it's more the opposite as it teaches you to embrace and work within your own strengths and weaknesses.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I don't blame him at all, he did walk away from the situation at the first and the guy followed him. If some guy pushed my wife id absolutely hit the guy it just so happens that Higbee is a big dude and knocked him out. Also a phenomenon that a lot of large guys face is someone wanting to pick a fight with the biggest guy in the place. Higbee I think is my favorite pick of this draft and I have very high hopes for him being a game changer.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
I like the risk and reward in the pick of Higbee. But after further reading, the guy who Higbee punched is now in a vegetable-state. And if he's not out of the coma and the life plug is pulled on him, Higbee will be charged with murder.

It reminds of a similar incident at a former night club in Santa Ana, Orange County in 2014 where some girl got into a fight because another gril was photo-bombing her. There were back-and-forth verbal jousting between groups and it escalated in punches being thrown and the victim later passed away a few days later.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/brito-642346-pham-family.html

The girls who threw the punch ended up charged with murder. Could this be the same ending for Higbee?

nighttrain

Legend
seems the circumstances a lot different, this guy followed, ie stalked, Higbee and his GF, mitigating circumstances
train

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/05/04/nfl-draft-lessons-learned-joey-bosa-moritz-bohringer

Round 4, Pick 110
Los Angeles Rams: Tyler Higbee, TE, Western Kentucky
The Lesson: NFL teams dig deep to find tight ends.

As part of a pro day swing through southern states, I stopped by Western Kentucky on March 29. Reps from 30 teams showed up to watch the eligible Hilltoppers work out. As is often the case, few were there to see the most recognizable name—one-time Heisman candidate quarterback Brandon Doughty. Instead, the main draw was Higbee, the 6-6, 250-pound tight end who missed seven games with a late-season knee sprain. The big man displayed soft hands, fluid hips and impressive speed given he was only four months removed from left knee surgery.

I asked one of the tight end coaches in attendance what he thought was special about Higbee. His response: “The athleticism. That’s all you really have to go on with a lot of tight ends these days, because college teams don’t use them the way we do. With tight ends, it’s a big projection.”

It’s a fair point, and one often overlooked; teams are reaching deeper and deeper into the college football ranks to find tight ends worthy of cultivation. Take a look at the list of schools producing tight ends drafted in Rounds 4-7 in 2016:

Western Kentucky
South Carolina State
South Carolina
Princeton
UTSA
Baylor
UCLA
Montana State

That’s three Power 5 conference teams out of eight prospects. The Baylor tight end, Rico Gathers, is a college power forward who hasn’t played football since middle school. And the UCLA “tight end,” Thomas Duarte, weighed 225 pounds in college and played wide receiver. Ten years ago, in the 2006 draft, there was just one tight end selected out of a non-Power 5 school. Lately, there isn’t another position in the NFL so reliant on small-school and/or inexperienced prospects.

The tight end coach I talked to guessed Higbee would probably be a fourth-round or fifth-round pick, and that guess came less than 12 days before Higbee was arrested outside a Bowling Green, Ky., bar for punching a man unconscious at 2 in the morning.

The Rams drafted him in the fourth. - Peter King

Athos

Legend
NFL teams dig deep to find tight ends.

1kdDpjx.jpg

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I like the risk and reward in the pick of Higbee. But after further reading, the guy who Higbee punched is now in a vegetable-state. And if he's not out of the coma and the life plug is pulled on him, Higbee will be charged with murder.

It reminds of a similar incident at a former night club in Santa Ana, Orange County in 2014 where some girl got into a fight because another gril was photo-bombing her. There were back-and-forth verbal jousting between groups and it escalated in punches being thrown and the victim later passed away a few days later.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/brito-642346-pham-family.html

The girls who threw the punch ended up charged with murder. Could this be the same ending for Higbee?

No he isn't. Word is the guy has already been released from the hospital.

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G

Good that the guy is released from the hospital. And now, at least there's a case to be presented on both sides in court.

It would be a tragic loss for both sides had that guy passed away. Higbee just dodged a bullet for now and hopefully he can contribute to the Rams right away.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
He knocked a guy unconscious, left him bleeding from the brain on the parking lot and then ran from the cops.

I already know Fisher and Snead will say about this kid, and I don't buy the high character, isolated incident rationale. It should be a major red flag.

He should be cleared and catching a gofful lot of passes soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I know plenty of great guys who have knocked someone out cold... Hell that's over half the Infantry in our armed forces, and the vast majority of them are amazing people.

If he makes a habit of it, then we will have lost a 4th rounder... Plenty of teams lose 4th rounders. Obviously I wouldn't be happy if that happened, but the talent is there, and Fisher is a good coach. I not worried about him.
I have twice and I rarely even get in arguments with strangers. One was also because some dickhead was talking shit about a girl that was with a group of us at a party. The other was because the guy was being a drunk A-hole. I don't consider myself a bad person for either of them and I would do it again in the same situations.

If it is found that this guy was truly stalking and/or harassing Higbee or his girlfriend, my bet is that he gets a slap on the wrist and maybe has to pay some restitution. If he has any time to pay, it will likely be parole - not actual jail time.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
Also .. I have seen more recent reports that it was "bruising" and not hemorrhaging. Lots of times when the reports come out, they are sensationalized to a degree. The rams have a pretty good security and investigational team. They have done well with past "prospects" and I think they have given the "green light" to Snead/Fisher/Demoff on this one.