Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I also really like bringing back Olson. I recall him as qb coach in 2017 being key to the success of Jared Goff (yes, Goff was a success). Seems like he did a good job with the Raiders and Carr (and earlier gigs too) as Carr got better but didn't fit in the new regime in Vegas. Hoping to see him help take Stafford and the passing game to yet an another level (yes, good as they were both can still improve).

With his experience see him in effect also being the senior strategist and quality control consultant for the offense to make sure it all comes together. Maybe take some pressure off McVay in those regards.

Peetz and Coen will bring in fresh ideas from the college game and as you say are known and proven to McVay. Coen as OC will be the hands on manager of the offense but will have lots of backup.

Whitworth hinted in an an interview recently that he would still have stuff to do in LA even if he retires. Maybe they will yet add him as a coach if he does. O-line still has room to improve as well.

Overall agree it's looking really good. Now McVay needs to take a vacation while these guys get to work.
One more thing about Olson. He has the experience and seniority to talk straight to McVay and tell him when he is doing something wrong (or right) or needs to do something different. Imo this is a critical role in any organization, and one that's harder for the younger guys to fill.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Olson definitely brings a ton of experience. Stafford was the best in the league at identifying and beating extra rushers and I chalk that up to the next-level study he and McVay do in their pairing, where 9 obviously had a deep understanding of what they were trying to do. But it never hurts to have more expertise come in wrt protections as Olson is one of the best there and has been known for that for some time.

It's a boon for 9 for sure either way. The key now is to make that interior OL trio a little bit better without losing too much at LT.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Doesn’t McVay have to be running out of dudes he coached in Washington with?
That staff under Mike Shanahan was absolutely stacked. If you go around the league it's insane how many coaches came from those few years.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Olson definitely brings a ton of experience. Stafford was the best in the league at identifying and beating extra rushers and I chalk that up to the next-level study he and McVay do in their pairing, where 9 obviously had a deep understanding of what they were trying to do. But it never hurts to have more expertise come in wrt protections as Olson is one of the best there and has been known for that for some time.

It's a boon for 9 for sure either way. The key now is to make that interior OL trio a little bit better without losing too much at LT.
Bringing in the additional coaches to help the offense should pay dividends for sure. But I hope McVay can also shift some of his workload onto Olson or Coen. With all the rumors surrounding his burnout, if I was Kronke I would approve salary for an extra two coaches at least that can help take things off McVay's plate. Let him concentrate solely on game planning and play calling.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay needs to hire Mina Kimes for his OC after Coen leaves.
Although usually not my type, Mina Kimes has quite a bit going on,.
1645640256118.png

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Guess we will hear from Snead & McVay @ some time today.....

So two teams took 6 of McVay's coaches.

Keep hearing 2021 season's assistant QB coach & before that, the assistant wide receiver coach Zac Robinson might drop the assistant in his title to QB coach or get the title of Passing game coordinator?

Greg Olson has a ton of experience as an Offensive Coordinator & Quarterback coach not sure where he ends up. Breer noted that Greg Olson will return to the staff as an offensive assistant.

Might Offensive Assistant Nick Jones be promoted to Tight Ends coach?

We know that Chris Beake is the Ram's new LB coach not sure about what's up with Chris Shula?? who was the Rams LB coach?

VACANT Coaching positions
Tight End
Secondary coach
Assitant Defensive Line
Offensive Assitant

The offensive Coordinator is now Liam Coen?
This is a great catch @BonifayRam because I was wondering who would be the new TE Coach as I thought maybe it would be Zac Robinson because they said he would be promoted and if you look up Jake Peetz who was recently hired, his page actually says he's the QB Coach, but the only Assistant on the Staff that has been a TE Coach is Nick Jones, so I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

Now I know Wes Phillips played QB, coached QB's, but ended up coaching TE's and with the reports of Robinson Staying and garnering a promotion it appears his growth is similar to Phillips and that's why I had Robinson tabbed as the new TE Coach....This is how I see it playing out once the final staff is announced Minus a few of the Assistants as I like NIck Jones staying on as Assistant OL Coach.

Offensive Coordinator....Liam Coehn
Offensive Line Coach....Kevin Carberry
Assistant OL Coach....Nick Jones
Quarterback Coach....Jake Peetz
Wide Receivers...Eric Yarber
Assistant HC/RB....Thomas Brown
Tight Ends...Zac Robinson
Senior Offensive Assistant...Greg Olson

Defensive Coordinator....Raheem Morris
Defensive Line Coach...Eric Henderson
Outside Linebackers....Chris Beake
Inside Linebackers....Chris Shula
Secondary Coach...Jonathan Cooley

Special Teams Coordinator....Joe DeCamillis
Assistant Special Teams....Jeremy Springer

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This is a great catch @BonifayRam because I was wondering who would be the new TE Coach as I thought maybe it would be Zac Robinson because they said he would be promoted and if you look up Jake Peetz who was recently hired, his page actually says he's the QB Coach, but the only Assistant on the Staff that has been a TE Coach is Nick Jones, so I'm anxious to see how it plays out.

Now I know Wes Phillips played QB, coached QB's, but ended up coaching TE's and with the reports of Robinson Staying and garnering a promotion it appears his growth is similar to Phillips and that's why I had Robinson tabbed as the new TE Coach....This is how I see it playing out once the final staff is announced Minus a few of the Assistants as I like NIck Jones staying on as Assistant OL Coach.

Offensive Coordinator....Liam Coehn
Offensive Line Coach....Kevin Carberry
Assistant OL Coach....Nick Jones
Quarterback Coach....Jake Peetz
Wide Receivers...Eric Yarber
Assistant HC/RB....Thomas Brown
Tight Ends...Zac Robinson
Senior Offensive Assistant...Greg Olson

Defensive Coordinator....Raheem Morris
Defensive Line Coach...Eric Henderson
Outside Linebackers....Chris Beake
Inside Linebackers....Chris Shula
Secondary Coach...Jonathan Cooley

Special Teams Coordinator....Joe DeCamillis
Assistant Special Teams....Jeremy Springer
Nice post but what makes you think Chris Shula will not continue coaching the outside LBs? Von must be plenty happy with the scheme and coaching after turning the clock back and regaining his past form?

Wouldn’t Chris Beake’s role involve coaching ILBs coverage techniques following on from what he did in Denver? Either way he looks like an impressive pick up

I would have loved to have seen Brian Flores hired and thought we might have a chance after he sued the NFL. That was a brilliant move all round by the Steelers. If they trade for a QB look out

There is another former head coach out there who would be an awesome hire as a senior defensive assistant in this scheme, considering he invented it!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nice post but what makes you think Chris Shula will not continue coaching the outside LBs? Von must be plenty happy with the scheme and coaching after turning the clock back and regaining his past form?

Wouldn’t Chris Beake’s role involve coaching ILBs coverage techniques following on from what he did in Denver? Either way he looks like an impressive pick up
I'm unsure on this and you could be right about Beake coaching ILB's I also would not be shocked if Chris Shula gets an added title like Assistant DC or something like that, but again, I'm just going with Beake coaching Miller because I believe this was one step to keep Von Miller, but you might be right too because Joe Barry coached the ILB's and Shula OLB's, however, again, I have Shula moving to ILB's with and additional title to boot.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree with Old School's thought above.

Over the past month, the Niners have lost Mike McDaniel, Jon Embree, Wes Welker, and now, Rich Scangarello ... OH, and they also lost to the Rams in the NFC Championship Game!

Seriously though, all those coaching losses come-off the offense; and this is a team that NEEDS to develop Trey Lance. Expect them to be OK on offense as long as they have Shanahan ... similar position to when Sean McVay loses offensive assistants. However, if Niner fans are going through a little stress over losing coaches (Rob Saleh and Mike LaFleur last year) ... I am OK with that!

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Rams are pretty slow to announce stuff. And also, do the Rams even have a reporter on the website? I know Salina is gone and Myles is too.
They usually like to make all the announcements at once just like when they sign the draft picks. I'm looking forward to see what Chris Shula's going to be doing or if they just have him in Chris Beake coaching ILB's & OLB's, however, you could see Shula with an additional title like Assistant DC for example.

Liam Coen is going to be a great addition and you will only be around one year as I'm not sure if he will get a shot as an NFL Head Coach, but I can guarantee he will get a shot at the collegiate level if he wishes to do that. Coen did a phenomenal job calling plays at Kentucky and has an excellent feel for the game. Coen was responsible for taking an offense that was ranked 103rd in the nation to 19, that's some amazing progress in just one year especially in the SEC.

The rest of the staff looks good too considering losing Evero & O'Connell, plus Wes Phillips and a few others that were assistants to position coaches in Marcus Dixon (Defensive Line) & Dwayne Stukes (Special Teams). Coen is the key here though as I feel strongly the Offense will be better in 2022/23 barring injury with the additions.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Agree with Den's thoughts above.

Expect McVay, Morris and Henderson to add an assistant-DL-coach; and, hoping, another DB coach comes on board. In 2020, Rams and Staley had Pleasant, Evero and Cooley but now it just seems to be Cooley. Realize that Morris was once a DB-coach but think there is an opening for at least an assistant-DB-coach.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They usually like to make all the announcements at once just like when they sign the draft picks. I'm looking forward to see what Chris Shula's going to be doing or if they just have him in Chris Beake coaching ILB's & OLB's, however, you could see Shula with an additional title like Assistant DC for example.

Liam Coen is going to be a great addition and you will only be around one year as I'm not sure if he will get a shot as an NFL Head Coach, but I can guarantee he will get a shot at the collegiate level if he wishes to do that. Coen did a phenomenal job calling plays at Kentucky and has an excellent feel for the game. Coen was responsible for taking an offense that was ranked 103rd in the nation to 19, that's some amazing progress in just one year especially in the SEC.

The rest of the staff looks good too considering losing Evero & O'Connell, plus Wes Phillips and a few others that were assistants to position coaches in Marcus Dixon (Defensive Line) & Dwayne Stukes (Special Teams). Coen is the key here though as I feel strongly the Offense will be better in 2022/23 barring injury with the additions.
Agreed!

I am very interested in Chris Shula too.
As a coach:

Then there's this:
Chris Shula, 36, and Rams head coach Sean McVay, 35, were college teammates at Miami-Ohio, which is nicknamed the “Cradle of Coaches” for producing the likes of NFL champions Paul Brown, Weeb Ewbank, John Harbaugh and many more. McVay climbed the NFL coaching ranks faster — as fast as anyone ever has, really — and hired Shula to his #1 first Rams staff. Two promotions followed.

You could be over the target den where the Assistant DC title added to where Shula will end up coaching the all-important Edge Rushers on both the DL & LB units.

I am unconvinced that Von Miller & Coach Chris Beake connection is as important as it was made out to be in getting Von Miller to re-up in LA.

I consider the Beake hire as just a plain very good choice even without the Von Miller connection & feel that in no way would Snead & McVay make a hiring decision based on such a connection.

Shula just might be the in-line 2023 apparent #1 prospect in replacing Morris in 2023.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Shula was only ILBs last season. That was a change in 2021 to put the OLBs under Henderson with the DL.

Beake seems to be a hire to coach the OLBs and I make that assumption based on a couple things...

1. Beake coached Von in Denver so there is familiarity and probably respect, given that we hired him.

2. Shula did a great job with the ILBs in 2021. He's actually done a great job with every unit he's been given every season too tbh.

Shula is also one of McVay's closest friends. Not that McVay makes hires based on that because he doesn't. But a close friend who also has done a good job as a positional coach tells me he might be given an opportunity to take on more this season. And going forward if he impresses in that role might be considered to replace Morris when he gets that HC gig.

As we all know you gotta kick a lot of ass to be promoted to coordinator under McVay. He has a wandering eye for those spots. Maybe Shula is a guy who can pull that off, though I also think McVay favors secondary background types on the defensive side as coordinator.