Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Gandalf

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought that Warford was the best guard in the class. I thought he would be better than Warmack or Cooper, both of whom went top ten. My last mock in 2013 had us drafting him with our second first round pick; I thought that aside from being stuck at right guard, Warford had no deficiencies.

I may not be right often, but I was right on Warford.
I wanted us to draft Hopkins and Warford with our first two picks. Instead, we traded for Austin.:thumbsdown:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Report: Jake Peetz joining Rams staff​

Posted by Josh Alper on February 21, 2022
The Rams dipped into the SEC to find their new offensive coordinator Liam Coen and he won’t be the only coach joining the Super Bowl champs after coaching in the conference during the 2021 season.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Media reports that Jake Peetz will also be joining the staff. Peetz was the offensive coordinator at LSU last season while Coen was running the offense at Kentucky.

Peetz coached with Rams head coach Sean McVay in Washington in 2014 and had stints as a quarterbacks coach with the Raiders and Panthers. He also spent one year as an analyst on Nick Saban’s staff at Alabama before making his way to Baton Rouge last year.
The Rams are also hiring former Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Olson as an offensive assistant and giving assistant head coach/running backs coach Thomas Brown more responsibilities in the wake of former offensive coordinator Kevin O’Connell leaving the team to become the Vikings head coach.

Career history

Coen, Peetz, Olsen… Lots of OC experience there. I like it.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Coen, Peetz, Olsen… Lots of OC experience there. I like it.
Hmm... can the Rams give everyone more responsibility and a better sounding title all at once? Of course not, but at least Stan can pay them more.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Hmm... can the Rams give everyone more responsibility and a better sounding title all at once? Of course not, but at least Stan can pay them more.
IMO, Coen is OC, Peetz will be the TE Coach I believe with Olson being a Senior Offensive Analyst as to Brown I believe he will have the same title, but they will have him more involved in the passing game to build him up for a future OC job and maybe after Coen is only here one year because he will probably get hired as a Head Coach either in the NFL or College, Brown will be ready at that point to take over as OC.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This feels like the right place but Mods please move if not

This is an important ingredient to building a championship winning program in the Salary Cap era - Promote and reward your outstanding coaches

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Shouldn't the headline read: "Rams hire future Detroit Lions Head Coach Liam Coen as Offensive Coordinator" (or something to that effect)? :)
Mebbe not. I'm actually rather intrigued with what Dan (bite'em in the knee caps) Campbell can do.
He even made Jared look good when he took over the play calling last year.
Not an easy feat as we all know.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Despite losing their Offensive Coordinator and the TE-coach / passing-game-coordinator, I am really liking the Rams' Offensive Staff. Adding Liam Coen and Greg Olson, plus an experienced coach in Jake Peetz would seem to more than just off-set the losses, including offensive-assistant Chris O'Hara who joined O'Connell to MN.

When Coen first joined the Rams as an assistant-WR-coach, I thought he was a little goofy-looking, and did not give him much thought over the next three seasons. My Bad (I'm the goofy-one). When O'Connell was rumored to be a candidate for several jobs, I started thinking about who could replace him; and like many others, thought about Coen. So I started reading, and found plenty to be impressed about. Coen has at least as many credentials and as much of a resume (if not more) than Matt Lafleur, Zac Taylor and Kevin O'Connell when they were first joined the Rams.

The one thing Coen lacks is coordinator-level-experience in the NFL. That's where I really like the Greg Olson addition. Add-in that Olson has worked under McVay with the Rams, and I would expect a seamless-transition. Now I don't know Peetz at all but he has NFL experience; and has worked with McVay. Both plusses.

Factor in the return of well-regarded Thomas Brown, a top-WR-coach in Eric Yarber, an OL-coach that I think did well in his first season in Kevin Carberry and another young offensive mind/former-QB in Zac Robinson ... and ... that's a formidable offensive-staff. And the Head Coach is OK too.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Love the Offensive Staff right now but would like to see another solid addition to the Defense.

Morris is set at Coordinator. Henderson is a terrific DL-coach (fingers-crossed he stays). Shula seems solid (and on really good terms with McVay). Expecting Cooley to get bumped-up to DB-coach. Beake seems like a good addition that could fill a couple roles. The only defensive-assistant (LB) is Thad Bogardus, who has been around for a while. I think that's it right now.

Figure Henderson will get an assistant-DL-coach to replace Dixon but would like to see another DB-coach. Loved the combination of Aubrey Pleasant and Ejiro Evero from 2017-2020; and hated to see Pleasant go last off-season (but was happy for him).

Feel the same way about Evero. Hoping Jonathan Cooley will be great but would like to see another experienced-DB-coach added. I guess someone on the staff could be re-assigned; and since Raheem Morris was a DB-coach, maybe the Rams don't feel it's necessary to add someone.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Bring in Weddle as asst DB coach.
He's happy coaching High School right now and I'm sure wants to coach his kid, so if Weddle wants to broaden his horizons from a coaching standpoint, I'm sure the Rams would indulge him.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Mebbe not. I'm actually rather intrigued with what Dan (bite'em in the knee caps) Campbell can do.
He even made Jared look good when he took over the play calling last year.
Not an easy feat as we all know.

~ArkyRamsFan~
Well, he (Campbell) was 3-13-1 so there is that, but I actually agree, once he took over play calling duties the team improved. He has since promoted TE Coach Ben Johnson to OC as when Campbell took over the play calling duties with aid from Johnson, the Lions were 3-6. Plus they were in every game, next year, Campbell needs IMO to finish 7-10 or 8-9 for renewed optimism in Detroit IMO.

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
From a friend who is a Raiders fan, don't let Olson call plays. I don't believe he'll have that capacity, but will most likely serve in a consulting position. Is this correct?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From a friend who is a Raiders fan, don't let Olson call plays. I don't believe he'll have that capacity, but will most likely serve in a consulting position. Is this correct?
Correct he won't call plays, he'll help implement game plan and get positions likely QB ready for gameday. I wouldn't be surprised if he spends a lot of time with the backup QB's as well.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Doesn’t McVay have to be running out of dudes he coached in Washington with?
Years ago the New York Giants had Vince Lombardi as their OC & Tom Landry as their DC and thus both moved onto the Packers & Cowboys and the Giants ended up Allie Sherman and you know the rest of the story.

Fast Forward and Sean McVay & Kyle Shanahan were in Washington as assistants and thus have moved on. Again, at the time Jay Gruden was the Head Coach like Jim Lee Howell of the Giants, but the fan base I'm sure feels the same.

LA1980

UDFA
McVay needs to hire Mina Kimes for his OC after Coen leaves. Huge pr and ESPN would become rams fans, she is smart and has a good football mind, and it would be a huge stretch for her to get promoted to head coach. Ergo, stability. Barring that extreme measure, he needs to look for massive introverts. Someone who loves analysis and information but fears people. get Crazy, McVay!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Well, he (Campbell) was 3-13-1 so there is that, but I actually agree, once he took over play calling duties the team improved. He has since promoted TE Coach Ben Johnson to OC as when Campbell took over the play calling duties with aid from Johnson, the Lions were 3-6. Plus they were in every game, next year, Campbell needs IMO to finish 7-10 or 8-9 for renewed optimism in Detroit IMO.
den,
Good points all.
Another thing I noticed is how much more comfortable Jared looked when he was throwing it to former Rammie Josh Reynolds.
They had a number of good games together.
In this case, at least, familiarity did not breed contempt.

~ArkyRamsFan~

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Years ago the New York Giants had Vince Lombardi as their OC & Tom Landry as their DC and thus both moved onto the Packers & Cowboys and the Giants ended up Allie Sherman and you know the rest of the story.

Fast Forward and Sean McVay & Kyle Shanahan were in Washington as assistants and thus have moved on. Again, at the time Jay Gruden was the Head Coach like Jim Lee Howell of the Giants, but the fan base I'm sure feels the same.
For almost 20 years, my father ... a life-long Giants' fan ... would mumble the words: 'Fucking Allie Sherman' ... usually after a tough Giants' loss or towards the end of another disappointing season.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Despite losing their Offensive Coordinator and the TE-coach / passing-game-coordinator, I am really liking the Rams' Offensive Staff. Adding Liam Coen and Greg Olson, plus an experienced coach in Jake Peetz would seem to more than just off-set the losses, including offensive-assistant Chris O'Hara who joined O'Connell to MN.

When Coen first joined the Rams as an assistant-WR-coach, I thought he was a little goofy-looking, and did not give him much thought over the next three seasons. My Bad (I'm the goofy-one). When O'Connell was rumored to be a candidate for several jobs, I started thinking about who could replace him; and like many others, thought about Coen. So I started reading, and found plenty to be impressed about. Coen has at least as many credentials and as much of a resume (if not more) than Matt Lafleur, Zac Taylor and Kevin O'Connell when they were first joined the Rams.

The one thing Coen lacks is coordinator-level-experience in the NFL. That's where I really like the Greg Olson addition. Add-in that Olson has worked under McVay with the Rams, and I would expect a seamless-transition. Now I don't know Peetz at all but he has NFL experience; and has worked with McVay. Both plusses.

Factor in the return of well-regarded Thomas Brown, a top-WR-coach in Eric Yarber, an OL-coach that I think did well in his first season in Kevin Carberry and another young offensive mind/former-QB in Zac Robinson ... and ... that's a formidable offensive-staff. And the Head Coach is OK too.
I also really like bringing back Olson. I recall him as qb coach in 2017 being key to the success of Jared Goff (yes, Goff was a success). Seems like he did a good job with the Raiders and Carr (and earlier gigs too) as Carr got better but didn't fit in the new regime in Vegas. Hoping to see him help take Stafford and the passing game to yet an another level (yes, good as they were both can still improve).

With his experience see him in effect also being the senior strategist and quality control consultant for the offense to make sure it all comes together. Maybe take some pressure off McVay in those regards.

Peetz and Coen will bring in fresh ideas from the college game and as you say are known and proven to McVay. Coen as OC will be the hands on manager of the offense but will have lots of backup.

Whitworth hinted in an an interview recently that he would still have stuff to do in LA even if he retires. Maybe they will yet add him as a coach if he does. O-line still has room to improve as well.

Overall agree it's looking really good. Now McVay needs to take a vacation while these guys get to work.