Rams New Offensive Coordinator - Liam Coen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Five things to know about new Rams offensive coordinator Liam Coen​

The Rams on Wednesday officially announced the hiring of Liam Coen as their next offensive coordinator.

Here are five things you should know about him:

1) One of Rams head coach Sean McVay's "most trusted coaches"

Upon being hired as Kentucky's offensive coordinator last year, McVay told ESPN analyst Joe Tessitore that Coen was one of his "most trusted coaches" whom he relied on heavily behind the scenes in their three seasons working together.

View: https://twitter.com/ukfootball/status/1417620508850352128?s=21

2) School-record setting quarterback at UMass

A four-year starter for the Minutemen from 2005-2008, he set program records for most yards gained (11,031), highest passing efficiency (152.92), completion percentage (63.9), completions (830) and touchdowns (90).

3) Familiar path back to Los Angeles

When Coen arrived in L.A. for his first stint with the Rams as assistant wide receivers coach in 2018, he was also previously the offensive coordinator for a college program, holding that position for two seasons at the University of Maine (2016-17).

4) Connection with Shane Waldron

Waldron, previously passing game coordinator (2018-2020) and quarterbacks coach (2019) for the Rams and now the Seahawks offensive coordinator, and Coen both worked on the same UMass coaching staff in 2014 and 2015.

According to a January 2019 story by the Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara, Waldron and Coen became good friends. Waldron had a strong relationship with McVay – the two worked together for one season in Washington. When an opening on the Rams offensive staff for assistant wide receivers coach arose in 2018 – three years after Waldron and Coen's most recent season working together at the time – Coen got the job, joining Waldron and McVay.

5) Lone season in Lexington was a successful one

Cohen was part of a staff led by head coach Mark Stoops that went 10-3 and won the Citrus Bowl; the 10-3 record matched the best mark of the Stoops era (nine seasons thus far).

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree.

I thought Evero was the big loss this year. Thought it was Pleasant last off-season.

In 2020. Staley had Pleasant, Evero and Cooley as DB coaches. Now it’s just Cooley. Perhaps, Raheem Morris being a former DB coach gives the Rams some comfort.
I don't mind losing Evero. Our secondary was out of sorts a lot. Lot of thinking IMO.

It's probably a good thing for Morris to have the fresh blood in that room, even if it's a guy who has been around. And as you mentioned Morris is a hell of a secondary coach himself. Now that he's all settled in and should be putting more of his own stamp on this secondary this offseason we'll probably see this unit come out of camp next year strong from day one.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As somebody who is very attracted to asian women she has no appeal to me at all.
Ditto I think Asian women can be gorgeous, but there is something odd about Mina.

The Rams are pretty slow to announce stuff. And also, do the Rams even have a reporter on the website? I know Salina is gone and Myles is too.
I'm glad the operate like this. It shows confidence in the process. They aren't always worried about pleasing everyone. Besides there really isn't an urgency in reporting assistants.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Rams hiring TCU running backs coach Ra’Shaad Samples​

One of the most notable additions to the Sonny Dykes staff is leaving before the new season begins.
By Russell Hodges@RussellJHodges Mar 4, 2022
COLLEGE FOOTBALL: SEP 11 North Texas at SMU

When Sonny Dykes was hired as the newest head coach of the TCU football team, Dykes brought several assistants over from his staff at SMU. One of those assistants was running backs coach Ra’Shaad Samples, who has earned a reputation as an elite recruiter in the Dallas-Fort Worth area and had already made an impact at TCU in a short time period.

But for the second time since Dykes took over the program, TCU will lose one of its newest assistants before the 2022 season even begins. According to multiple sources including Drew Davison of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Samples has been hired to be the new running backs coach for the defending Super Bowl champion Los Angeles Rams.

Samples will be a tremendous loss for the Horned Frogs, who had already lost former defensive line coach Chidera Uzo-Diribe earlier this offseason. Uzo-Diribe was announced as the new outside linebackers coach for the national champion Georgia Bulldogs one day after National Signing Day this past month. Samples was expected to serve as assistant head coach and running backs coach, which are the roles he served under Dykes at SMU.

The 27-year-old Samples has risen quickly up the coaching ladder in his short career. A former 247Sports 30-under-30 and Dave Campbell 40-under-40 Watch List honoree, Samples began his SMU career as an offensive assistant in 2019 before working his way up to becoming SMU’s running backs coach and recruiting coordinator. In his brief tenure with TCU’s football program, Samples brought over and helped retain high-level prospects including four-stars Jordan Hudson, Chace Biddle and Major Everhart.

TCU quickly recovered from Uzo-Diribe’s departure, naming former Louisiana Tech coach JaMarkus McFarland as its newest defensive line coach. The Horned Frogs will likely move with similar speed to replace Samples, with the team’s Spring Game approaching soon.

Rams planning to hire 27-year-old Ra’Shaad Samples as new RBs coach​

The Los Angeles Rams are doing some shuffling to their coaching staff this offseason, which has become a common theme under Sean McVay. Kevin O’Connell and other assistants have left for other jobs, prompting the Rams to replace them for next season.

After Matt Zenitz of On3Sports first reported it, Pro Football Network’s Aaron Wilson is confirming that the Rams are expected to hire Ra’Shaad Samples as their new running backs coach.

Earlier this week, it was reported that the Rams were interested in interviewing Samples. The Dallas native has worked at multiple Texas-based colleges in his coaching career thus far, and he was named the assistant head coach, run-game coordinator, and running backs coach at TCU for the 2022 season.

But with the chance to make the leap to the NFL, Samples likely realizes that this was an opportunity he couldn’t pass up. Being able to join a staff like McVay’s could propel him even further in his journey to becoming a head coach (if that’s his ultimate goal).

Samples is regarded as a top-notch recruiter in college football and at 27 years old, he’s already making a name for himself in the coaching ranks. The Rams needed a new running backs coach with Thomas Brown making the transition to tight ends coach, replacing Wes Phillips, who accepted the offensive coordinator job on O’Connell’s new staff on the Minnesota Vikings.

With Samples joining McVay’s new-look coaching staff, he may break McVay’s record of being the youngest coach to be hired in the NFL sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
‘"Liam was great," O'Connell said Wednesday at the NFL Scouting Combine. "From very early on in the process, you could see that he wanted to grow, he had the capability, high capacity guy, really smart. But then you see him connect with the players. We worked side-by-side in 2020, and seeing not only his connection with the other quarterbacks, in addition to Jared (Goff), but our whole roster and just offense, defense – it's when guys have that type of capacity, a lot of different players search those guys out, and you could see his connection with our team here. I knew he would do great things to Kentucky, which he did. It wasn't a surprise to me."’

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Five things to know about new Rams offensive coordinator Liam Coen​

The Rams on Wednesday officially announced the hiring of Liam Coen as their next offensive coordinator.

Here are five things you should know about him:

1) One of Rams head coach Sean McVay's "most trusted coaches"

Upon being hired as Kentucky's offensive coordinator last year, McVay told ESPN analyst Joe Tessitore that Coen was one of his "most trusted coaches" whom he relied on heavily behind the scenes in their three seasons working together.

View: https://twitter.com/ukfootball/status/1417620508850352128?s=21

2) School-record setting quarterback at UMass

A four-year starter for the Minutemen from 2005-2008, he set program records for most yards gained (11,031), highest passing efficiency (152.92), completion percentage (63.9), completions (830) and touchdowns (90).

3) Familiar path back to Los Angeles

When Coen arrived in L.A. for his first stint with the Rams as assistant wide receivers coach in 2018, he was also previously the offensive coordinator for a college program, holding that position for two seasons at the University of Maine (2016-17).

4) Connection with Shane Waldron

Waldron, previously passing game coordinator (2018-2020) and quarterbacks coach (2019) for the Rams and now the Seahawks offensive coordinator, and Coen both worked on the same UMass coaching staff in 2014 and 2015.

According to a January 2019 story by the Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara, Waldron and Coen became good friends. Waldron had a strong relationship with McVay – the two worked together for one season in Washington. When an opening on the Rams offensive staff for assistant wide receivers coach arose in 2018 – three years after Waldron and Coen's most recent season working together at the time – Coen got the job, joining Waldron and McVay.

5) Lone season in Lexington was a successful one

Cohen was part of a staff led by head coach Mark Stoops that went 10-3 and won the Citrus Bowl; the 10-3 record matched the best mark of the Stoops era (nine seasons thus far).

Didn't realize how good a college QB Coen was. Very impressive.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I'm not sure Thomas Brown will ever get an opportunity to be an OC, he might just become a Head Coach after this year. Great leader and add a great hire in Samples. I think all of us would like to see the Rams run the football better in 2022/2023 OL Coach Kevin Carberry, Brown & now Ra'Shaad Samples will be involved in making that happen and I have the utmost confidence they will be successful.

Interested to see how the RB room plays out because they will draft one more maybe they draft someone like Abram Smith of Baylor because of his size or James Cook from Georgia because I just like Georgia RB's, but with a full return of Cam Akers, he would most likely receive most of the carries.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure Thomas Brown will ever get an opportunity to be an OC, he might just become a Head Coach after this year. Great leader and add a great hire in Samples. I think all of us would like to see the Rams run the football better in 2022/2023 OL Coach Kevin Carberry, Brown & now Ra'Shaad Samples will be involved in making that happen and I have the utmost confidence they will be successful.

Interested to see how the RB room plays out because they will draft one more maybe they draft someone like Abram Smith of Baylor because of his size or James Cook from Georgia because I just like Georgia RB's, but with a full return of Cam Akers, he would most likely receive most of the carries.
McVay empowering him to choose his successor says a lot about the trust he has for Brown and the respect. We know he empowers them for the draft and free agency but this is another level.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
McVay empowering him to choose his successor says a lot about the trust he has for Brown and the respect. We know he empowers them for the draft and free agency but this is another level.
I agree and showcases why McVay is simply the very best. If Liam Coen is one and done as OC and Brown stays, gets promoted to OC, I am willing to bet that McVay will actually give up play calling allowing Brown to actually call the plays as OC when and if that happens.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree and showcases why McVay is simply the very best. If Liam Coen is one and done as OC and Brown stays, gets promoted to OC, I am willing to bet that McVay will actually give up play calling allowing Brown to actually call the plays as OC when and if that happens.
If I'm McVay Brown is attached to Coen's hip every day.

Ram65

Legend
That video is the first I got to know Liam Cohen. I see why McVay has trust in him. Great to have him back. Seemed excited about Atwell as he watched his tape from college. Was more excited about Jacob Harris. He is going to help them improve.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Harris is a freak. You can bet this staff is going to have a strong plan to get him featured in this offense.

Might not work out either btw. But if it does then suddenly you have two big and uncoverable guys as 1-2 threats in the pass game in Kupp/Robinson followed by a young freak hitting his stride in year two vs third corners and safeties.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Harris is a freak. You can bet this staff is going to have a strong plan to get him featured in this offense.

Might not work out either btw. But if it does then suddenly you have two big and uncoverable guys as 1-2 threats in the pass game in Kupp/Robinson followed by a young freak hitting his stride in year two vs third corners and safeties.

Yeah, other than hoping Rochelle hits, Harris is my 1A.

Holy cow, if Harris can maximize his talents on the field... wow.