Rams need to let go of the past and cut WR Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you want Brian Quick on the roster in 2016?

• Total voters

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Everybody is entitled to their WR pecking order opinion.

And we are forced to make projections based upon camp reports turned in so far.

But I'll say this...

Cough, cough...

If Nelson Spruce doesn't make the 53, then we will have one helluva WR corps this year.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I like several of these guys, yet, not one of them were drafted....Leads me to believe that not ONE GM thinks these guys have either pro-style talent, or pro-style character. And they have to prove both of these in the next 6 weeks...

His camp of 2014 was his best, he took that production to the field for 7 games...As Austin Davis became figured out, his production declined....
WR's need decent QB play to be successful. It's like saying Antonio Brown got terrible when M. Vick happened to become QB for the Steelers.

Well, I didn't...because I believe if we wanna win, we need this guy on the field...Getting targeted, and catching passes.

No you're not...

He's a better receiver than the 2 that are "locks" to make the squad...But I doubt we have a rookie, that can outperform him, right now...

c'mon 43...you play how you practice, you practice how you play...If he's not successful on game day, the problem probably lies elsewhere....

No, the human species developed to adapt & change...It learns...every human is capable of learning...in various degrees of course...

:shades:
I had to comment on this...
You got a good one, and the juice doesn't match the squeeze? I'm gonna give it the ole college try for a month or 12 b4 I just throw it away...probably keep it on the side for awhile...figure that thang out...patience my young padawan...:sneaky::cool::mustache:
Lol fair enough sir. But if we win 11 games I don't care who is making it happening. I'd trade donald for a championship *runs away and hides*

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's all BS anyway...There is no way that you can know (or that I can know) if Quick is part of the "I don't care who is on the roster as long as we win" outcome....We DO know that he has done absolutely nothing as a Ram, as a 2nd round pick, since 2012. Hell, he doesn't even have 1000 yards recieving since 2012, so how can anyone even answer your question? We have to count that 2nd round pick a bust, if any rookie on the bubble is even close to him to on the field ability, imo..enough, is enough.
I didn't ask a question. I justhink wanna know who in their right mind is picking players of wins lol

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I am not a Quick fan. But there are obviously reason why the UDFA and low-draft-pick WRs we have at camp right now that everyone is so excited about were either (1) undrafted or (2) taken in the later rounds - it's because they aren't can't miss prospects. Yet, many are perfectly ready to already pencil them onto the roster.

That's not to say UDFAs and low draft picks cannot be awesome NFL players in the end. Or that high picks necessarily are ever capable NFL players. All I am saying is that if these prospects were so incredible as some people keep raving about.... the Rams wouldn't have snagged them where they did.

Quick has at least flashed solid potential at the NFL level. Even if only for a short stretch of games. He also knows our offense already. That's more than any of the rookies can say. And Quick is a capable blocker, which is important on a run-first team.

Again, I'm not a Quick fan. I'd have zero issues cutting him. In fact, I hope somebody steps up and makes him expendable because I am sceptical Quick will ever amount to much. But until one of these low draft picks or UDFAs can prove at camp they are either the better player, or at least comparable while offering more potential for long-term growth, his roster spot is probably safe. And rightfully so.

To be fair to Quick, he is coming off a major injury/ An argument could at least be plausibly made that last season should be a write off.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
His last game? I watched him suck all last season.

The problem with that is Quick stands out in TC, always has. It has only translated to games a few times.

How many training camps have you been to ??

Yeah- He sucked , I'll agree. The play he almost got killed. Case threw it high & he just about broke his neck.Just shows he wasn't play afraid towards the end of the season.

--Who knows what the next month brings ??? I think Brian Quick is practicing at a high level.

--He had a good interview that was on Rams site.Wearing the goofiest outfit. Seems like he will take to Disneyland well.Let's hope The Rams are the team that gets there.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Quick is on the outside looking in and the tie goes to the rookies. Someone else in the thread stated "tie goes to rookies" and deserves a beer for that succinct insight.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I guess I just don't know why you wouldn't just find out what he can do.

He's on the roster. Let him battle with the other receivers.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Quick to me as always that been that chick in the bar.
then you go to bed and she is a damp squib in the sack

So ... a "damp squib" sounds ok to me! I'll take one for the team with that "11 out of 10" you speak of.

But BQ, nah, I really don't think he's ever going to be great, maybe not even good.

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
If Quick is actually making plays consistently in preseason you have to keep him. You can PS Spruce and Williams. I promise you no one is knocking the door down for Ram WR's. If he is still making simple mental mistakes and easy drops, buh bye! It is exciting to hear he is elevating and using his frame to make plays, that was what was envisioned when he was drafted. I'm optimistic, but not holding my breathe he turns it on.

Last edited:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
So? We let go of Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery who were coming back from ACL tears. Wouldn't give them a shot though. Avery was okay but DX went on to have a spectacular half season with the Chargers

Danario is lucky his legs are still functioning after his injuries. We're talking about 2 totally different types of injury. For BQs, it was his shoulder that most likely wasn't 100%.

If he gets cut then its b/c he got beat out by someone else, fine. That's the NFL life. To single him out and say why he isn't already cut barely a week into training camp is pretty ridiculous.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's one thing if he had a few weaknesses to work on... but damn the WR position arguably is his weakness.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lol!

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
If they think Quick can get back to his 2014 form, keep him. If they don't, cut him. Simple as that. I personally think he can, but I wouldn't know. The coaches do.

RAMBUSH

Starter
No, I live in upstate NY.... However I don't need to see a practice to realize this is Quick's mantra every season. He looks great early in camp and can never replicate it on the field in regular season. Britt is the veteran they have in the locker room. There is your issue "clean slate" why does he get a clean slate? Isaiah Pead didn't get a clean slate and he was injured and a 2nd round pick just like Quick. Here's the deal Quick is going to get outplayed in preseason by a hungry UDFA or two and thats it if Snisher is smart they let Quick go and move on.
Obviously the coaches think otherwise...

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's one thing if he had a few weaknesses to work on... but damn the WR position arguably is his weakness.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Lol![/QUOTE]

I have to laugh at that. How did he play on Saturday ?? There is competition at the WR spot. Still believe in Quick.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It really comes down to $$. If the kids are close to him in the eyes of the coaches, then he is gone. He is getting around $2M this year, and if he has a good year, then to keep him next year he will get 4-5 M a year. As opposed to keeping a kid with upside who will cost you 500-600K gor the next 4 years.

There are a lot of proven players headed for new contracts, so do you want to spend that money on Quick? And I would like to keep him, but I just can't see how it makes sense IF some of these rookies have big camps.
FYI He's making $1.75 million this year of which $1.5m is guaranteed. cutting him does nothing for the cap this year.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
The first post was one of the purist 'football knownothing" comment I have heard in awhile. NO! the Rams should not cut BQ. Keep him for 2016 and let him finish developing. He had a HORRIBLE injury. Just watch the game in which Bradford got hurt and you can see where they wanted to go. That
game in Carolina he was featured. DEEP balls and plenty of them. Sad to see it. If Sam had not tore up his knee the Rams would be in very good shape with more talent than they have now. Lets all hope Goff has what it takes. I like the kid.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damn did we get an influx of PD insult posters or what lately?

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I've read through this entire thread and would like to post my comments.

First of all I certainly understand the reasoning from many to get rid of Quick ASAP. Having said that it occurs to me that the Rams had every opportunity to do so last off season and chose not to. Instead they signed him to an incentive laden contract that is very team and cap friendly.

I say that to say this, the Rams still believe in Brian's potential and are giving him (most likely his last ) an opportunity to carve out a place on this man's football team. I think that means a lot if you take a step back and look at it objectively.

Some are saying that Mr. Quick needs to play exceptionally well this pre season or it's off with his head. Sorry, don't think so. He is light years ahead of any rookie at this point and with Fish in a must-win mode (Heh....grist for an entirely different thread no doubt.....) it is probable that In his mind Brian could very well give him the most bang for his buck so to speak.

Bottom line: Brian Quick will play football for the L.A. Rams in 2016.

You can book that right now.......

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Danario is lucky his legs are still functioning after his injuries. We're talking about 2 totally different types of injury. For BQs, it was his shoulder that most likely wasn't 100%.

If he gets cut then its b/c he got beat out by someone else, fine. That's the NFL life. To single him out and say why he isn't already cut barely a week into training camp is pretty ridiculous.

Agreed Alexander was playing on his last leg. He also was playing with Rivers.
I really liked him ,but his knee was way jacked up .Was happy he was able to play that well.

---Avery had a solid career for an average WR.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Barrett Jones was an excellent example. After all those awards and National Championships, I was certain that he was a 4th round steal. Despite his lisfranc injury pre draft. Then comes the back injury. Still I thought he could be a solid OL starter for 10-12 years.

He's back under Stoutland with the Eagles, the guy who moved him to center at Bama. So if his prob has been the injuries this might be his dare to be great situation.