Rams need to let go of the past and cut WR Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you want Brian Quick on the roster in 2016?

• Total voters

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope Brian Quick is the odd man out if one of these young guys makes the decision tough.

Jimmy Kennedy was a beast in camp every summer, so is Quick. When the games start, the speed is too much for them and the training camp progress goes out the window. Too many decisions and adjustments to be made in a hurry, in a game, so routes suffer. How many times did we hear that he wasn't in the right spot or didn't run the route deep enough.

When does Snead and Fisher realize that athleticism is greatest but you need a football mind to go with it? Guys like Spruce produce with less physical talent. How can that be? I hope they start seriously asking themselves when it is time to decide between Quick and a promising rookie.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
3.) Quick signed a 1 year contract worth "up to" $3.75 million, and includes $1.5 million guaranteed. If the Rams can eat Foles contract (dead money) I don't think 1.5 million guarantees he makes the roster just because he puts on another stellar TC show. That kind of money is under Kroenke's car seat..

Strangely enough I think the financial side counts against BQ.

If he does have a decent season he's going to make more immediately, like next year. He basically needs to win a starting job to stick around IMO, and produce at an unprecedented level (for him) through the preseason games. If his play is up and down, he's gone. If he ends up on the bottom half of the depth chart where special teams reign supreme, he's gone. Why? Time, cost, and control you get with the kids.

I'm sure the Rams are willing to pay him if he can finally grow into that player they saw in him. But he's out of time due to that equation of him not being a cost controlled kid any more. IMO if it's close between him and Thomas, he's gone, because he's not a guy who's gonna make hay for you on teams.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hope Brian Quick is the odd man out if one of these young guys makes the decision tough.

Jimmy Kennedy was a beast in camp every summer, so is Quick. When the games start, the speed is too much for them and the training camp progress goes out the window. Too many decisions and adjustments to be made in a hurry, in a game, so routes suffer. How many times did we hear that he wasn't in the right spot or didn't run the route deep enough.

When does Snead and Fisher realize that athleticism is greatest but you need a football mind to go with it? Guys like Spruce produce with less physical talent. How can that be? I hope they start seriously asking themselves when it is time to decide between Quick and a promising rookie.

Since when was jimmy Kennedy a beast in camp? All i heard at the time was that hannifan was always shouting at him because he was screwing up or not putting in enough effort.

I think you better get used to seeing quick with the Rams.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If you didn't pick "I don't care who is on the roster as long as we win" then I'd love to hear your reasoning

Some guys always look good in camp, but can't catch up in games.

Damp Squib? Dude you said she looks hot, dances great, and you nabbed her - a good craftsman doesn't blame his tools :LOL:

My point is you need to help her out too, I mean she was 100% before you laid the wood - what happened? Hopefully our new coaching staff (Groh et al) will take all those great attributes and make something happen

Being a good craftsman has nothing to do with it. Some chicks are just all show. Don't believe everything you see. Women are the true masters of illusion. Looking hot is no guarantee that they get into sex.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Quick is actually making plays consistently in preseason you have to keep him. You can PS Spruce and Williams. I promise you no one is knocking the door down for Ram WR's.

I agree they can safely PS both Spruce and Williams right now. AND if the cuts were today that is how it would go down and we can bank it.

But from what I've seen one or two of those kids are going to play well in preseason. I am confident of that, because of the difference in this group overall. I believe they're getting strong coaching for the first time under this regime and what they've been doing in practice IS going to translate to preseason games. Probably not all of them. But it's gonna show and that is going to factor in with the cuts along with the cost, years of control, special teams impact, etc.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
While I think Quick is safe atm, I think Cooper and Thomas can play a role in him not making the team. If they like Cooper and Thomas more than Quick and view quick only as the 5th best wr (Cooper, Thomas, Britt, Tavon) then you get into ST play and hes probably a bit behind in that department. But if they think Quick offers them more than Cooper and Thomas this season, chances are hes safe regardless of how the UDFAs preform

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Damp Squib? Dude you said she looks hot, dances great, and you nabbed her - a good craftsman doesn't blame his tools :LOL:

My point is you need to help her out too, I mean she was 100% before you laid the wood - what happened? Hopefully our new coaching staff (Groh et al) will take all those great attributes and make something happen

you know the kind im talking about those that dont need to put anything in because they get by on their looks ...those that lay there and think of england (or the USA for my american brethren) ..those that think anything other than missionary is kinky

@Selassie I ....a damp squib is just that ..While most modern squibs used by professionals are insulated from moisture, older uninsulated squibs needed to be kept dry in order to ignite, thus a "damp squib" was literally one that failed to perform because it got wet. Often misheard as "damp squid",[9] the phrase "damp squib" has since come into general use to mean anything that fails to meet expectations.[10] The word "squib" has come to take on a similar meaning even when used alone, as a diminutive comparison to a full explosive.[11]

from wiki ......

the bolded part even proves my analogy right ;)

RamWoodie

Legend
What comes to mind for me is before Quick got injured, he was the leading WR for the Rams...ahead of Britt, Austin, and everyone else. He was averaging 15ypc and had 3 TDs

He was coming off a pretty serious injury last year and wasn't ready when the season started...so he was playing catch up. He has what it takes, and the fact the Rams only gave him a one year deal is a message...IT'S ON HIM. Obviously the Rams think he has it...but he has to prove it.

I leave it at that.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Since when was jimmy Kennedy a beast in camp? All i heard at the time was that hannifan was always shouting at him because he was screwing up or not putting in enough effort.

I think you better get used to seeing quick with the Rams.

Kennedy was always a beast in camp. Every year it looked like he finally was getting it. Then, he sucked when the games started. At, least that is what the camp reports on RRF used to say. Either way Quick sucks, get over it.

lockdnram21

Legend

No way Quick gets cut. IMO only 1 spit open and that marques. Especially for Spruce

Rams43

Hall of Fame
We all realize that we're debating the 5th and 6th WR choices, don't we?

Because these 4 are in...

Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas

A nice blend of outside and slot, plus the versatile Austin.

I think the 5th and 6th WR competition is wide open. I really do. The next 4 weeks of practices and preseason games is gonna decide who stays and who goes. And I really have no favorite. I truly want the best 6 to stick.

There has been an abundance of positives about all 4 of the likely candidates, but I want to throw this in the blender.

Quick is entering his 5th year. Some have said that he is a "slow learner" when it comes to new playbook concepts. He has disappointed all with his first 4 years. Plus, he has no ST value. So, IMO, he must have a lights out remaining preseason to stick.

Williams certainly has his red flags. Is his head finally on straight? Can he be counted on to carry himself with maturity once he makes the 53? So many lingering questions about him. Another player that must really outshine Spruce and Marquez to get the nod.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lets see the depth chart after the Cowboys game, then it will get interesting

lockdnram21

Legend
We all realize that we're debating the 5th and 6th WR choices, don't we?

Because these 4 are in...

Britt
Austin
Cooper
Thomas

A nice blend of outside and slot, plus the versatile Austin.

I think the 5th and 6th WR competition is wide open. I really do. The next 4 weeks of practices and preseason games is gonna decide who stays and who goes. And I really have no favorite. I truly want the best 6 to stick.

There has been an abundance of positives about all 4 of the likely candidates, but I want to throw this in the blender.

Quick is entering his 5th year. Some have said that he is a "slow learner" when it comes to new playbook concepts. He has disappointed all with his first 4 years. Plus, he has no ST value. So, IMO, he must have a lights out remaining preseason to stick.

Williams certainly has his red flags. Is his head finally on straight? Can he be counted on to carry himself with maturity once he makes the 53? So many lingering questions about him. Another player that must really outshine Spruce and Marquez to get the nod.
IMO there's 5 locks Austin, Britt, Quick, cooper, and Thomas. No way Quick gets cut. All the attention Groh is giving him. Also all the first team reps. I think Marques job the only one open

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No way Quick gets cut. IMO only 1 spit open and that marques. Especially for Spruce

Quick has to be right in with the group of Spruce, Williams, and Marquez. Assuming they take 6, then pick from the lot. As 43 said Quick has no special teams value. That hurts his chances. The real battle could be Quick vs Williams, and Marquez vs Spruce, only because they are similar. Williams struggled out of the gate but stepped up since. Williams has past character flows. Quick seems to be practicing well but has a serious injury. So Williams has the edge since he shined on ST practice.

Which was the more highly regarded talent coming out of college? Williams was said to have number 1 ability. Snead thought Quick could be T. O. The second but that is not a consensus opinion.

How does any of that sound like Quick is a lock?

lockdnram21

Legend
Quick has to be right in with the group of Spruce, Williams, and Marquez. Assuming they take 6, then pick from the lot. As 43 said Quick has no special teams value. That hurts his chances. The real battle could be Quick vs Williams, and Marquez vs Spruce, only because they are similar. Williams struggled out of the gate but stepped up since. Williams has past character flows. Quick seems to be practicing well but has a serious injury. So Williams has the edge since he shined on ST practice.

Which was the more highly regarded talent coming out of college? Williams was said to have number 1 ability. Snead thought Quick could be T. O. The second but that is not a consensus opinion.

How does any of that sound like Quick is a lock?
What serious injury? For one he's been getting first team reps and Groh is always talking to him. Also I'm hearing he looks different in practice doing stuff he didn't do before. IMO there's only 1 spot open.
Austin
Britt
Quick
Cooper
Thomas
Williams/marques, Spruce

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What serious injury? For one he's been getting first team reps and Groh is always talking to him. Also I'm hearing he looks different in practice doing stuff he didn't do before. IMO there's only 1 spot open.
Austin
Britt
Quick
Cooper
Thomas
Williams/marques, Spruce

He had a serious shoulder injury that he was recovering from last year. If it is as bad as described by his doctors then, who knows how it could affect him in real games. He never seemed to be big on contact to start with. Besides I brought up Williams' past problem, it was only fair to bring up Quick's.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
IMO there's 5 locks Austin, Britt, Quick, cooper, and Thomas. No way Quick gets cut. All the attention Groh is giving him. Also all the first team reps. I think Marques job the only one open

Well, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, lockdn.

But so am I.

IMO, Quick is far from a lock. There are no locks beyond the top 4 of Britt, Austin, Cooper, and Thomas.

I give Quick a 50-50 chance and that's IF he plays extremely well throughout practices and preseason games.

'Course, that pretty much applies to the other 3 candidates, too.

Nothing would surprise me about these final four in terms of making the 53. All have pros and cons.

Ties should go to a rookie vs Quick, though.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I give Quick a 50-50 chance and that's IF he plays extremely well throughout practices and preseason games.
Receiving coach Groh told Willie McGinnis today that he's satisfied with the weapons on this roster:deadhorse:, specifically mentioned Quick:wow: & Britt :banana:to big willie....

What's the odds now 43 that B Quickie is on the roster? Hell, I see him starting:yess:....:mrburnsevil::bueller: