Rams need to let go of the past and cut WR Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you want Brian Quick on the roster in 2016?

• Total voters

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
LACHAMP46 said:
He's a better receiver than the 2 that are "locks" to make the squad...But I doubt we have a rookie, that can outperform him, right now...

What evidence do you have of this? Both Britt and Austin are more durable than he is...In what season has he outgained either? Even in the couple of games where he FINALLY started to use his body to block out/go up and grab contested catches, it was Kenny Britt that taught him how to do that in 2014.....The most yards Quick had in a season,was 375 yards and 3 TD's.

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'm not for "change for change's sake". Look around the world to see what a dookie bomb that philosophy will lay. I'm all for the best six on the roster though. If Quick is clearly one of the six, how do you not keep him just for the sake of change? I think we have some great new talent at WR and it's going to be hard come cut time to make the right decisions. The WR spot is historically a slow developing position in the NFL and it would be highly risky to not have any NFL experience at the position so Quick and Britt have that going for them. Cooper and Thomas are making it which is going to make it tough for two more rookies to land a spot on the roster. So the argument comes down to who do you keep between Quick, Marquez, Spruce, or Williams in my opinion. I seriously doubt it will be both Spruce and Williams (Four out of six WRs on your roster are rookies? I don't think so.) and I'm not sure you could hide either on the PS for too long. My gut feeling is if Quick is playing as well as Spruce and Williams, he sticks and the guy with the best hands or best ST's play will be your last WR that lands a roster spot.
This is what I am thinking too, Husker. That is why I just don't see Marquez making this team, unless there are 7, and he is essentially a ST place holder, and we only go 3 TE or RB. Or one less OL.

I preface this with the fact that I haven't been to camp, as have some of you. I am going by camp reports, reputation and a few little videos that have been provided. But I think Duke or Spruce will make #6, and we will attempt to hide the other on the PS. (My prediction is that we lose one guy to the Whiners. They have crap at receiver, and just lost that kid Rogers from Canada to an ACL tear)

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Quick to me as always that been that chick in the bar.

you know that absolute worldie that 11 outta ten ... dances up a storm on the dance floor and looks as hot as hell doing it ....you manage to nab it take it home and every guy in the place is a little jealous then you go to bed and she is a damp squib in the sack ....just utter dissapointment

hopefullt this is his year but i recall many a rams fan saying that but i agree with @LoyalRam if any rookie/UDFA is even close to him then buh bye quick

giphy.gif

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
You keep the best 6. Period. Right now at camp, this year (because right now all those other previous years don't matter anymore) he is easily one of the top 6 so far. Actually one of the best looking out there period, right now. Quick is a niche receiver, don't forget that. He's a red zone target. He's meant to be a mismatch. The Rams will use him mostly in that capacity. He's going to do his damage there.

Hopefully Goff will help in that department BIG TIME because he only has 7 TD's in his entire career.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will reiterate I don't want him to be cut for the sake of cutting him...I feel like there is too much talent that we could lose just to hold onto Quick again. To me if Duke and Spruce earn their spot for instance they should make the team not Quick because he was drafted in 2012 2nd round..

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Another thing I have said time after time I don't get why people won't let go of Quick yet say that we held onto Chris Givens too long...Givens was a play maker we pushed out the door simple as that. Quick as far as I'm concerned is an erratic red zone gimmick.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Another thing I have said time after time I don't get why people won't let go of Quick yet say that we held onto Chris Givens too long...Givens was a play maker we pushed out the door simple as that. Quick as far as I'm concerned is an erratic red zone gimmick.

B/c Brian Quick got hurt. Badly. I think people were/are underestimating the severity of that shoulder injury. He was on his way to a good season in 2014 (projected around 800ish yards).

Chris Givens' issue was he was good at only 1 thing: go routes. He couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything else i.e, go in the middle. Brian Quick can do that, but again: injury. Chris Givens was traded btw, and cut again by Baltimore. Shows what he is: another 4th round pick in the abyss of JAGs.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
With all of us so intrigued trying to figure out which WR's for the 4, 5 & 6 spots will end up worthy of landing on the 2016 final 53, I say to myself............

Gosh damn you can really tell by many of these great insightful ROD posters that our Rams have really had some horrible depth and an arena league pedigree of WR's for longer than I want to remember...

I'm talking about the top 5 or 6 pass catchers (as a whole unit) that they have trotted out on the field year after year since 2010...... To even an average football fan this insults our intelligence!

Throw in the list of TE's and you just wonder how and the hell does an NFL team not stumble upon a better cast of WR's/TE's with all the money, F/A's, draft picks, professional scouting and brain power involved in the personnel process? I still scratch my head to this day.......

2011 Roster
WR Brandon LLOYD
WR Brandon GIBSON
WR Austin PETTIS
WR Greg SALAS
WR Danario ALEXANDER
WR Mike SIMS-WALKER
WR Danny AMENDOLA
WR Mark CLAYTON

TE Lance KENDRICKS
TE Billy BAJEMA
TE Mike HOOMANAWANUI
TE Stephen SPACH

2012 ROSTER_____________2013 ROSTER
WR Danny AMENDOLA ...................... WR Tavon AUSTIN
WR Brandon GIBSON ........................ WR Austin PETTIS
WR Chris GIVENS .............................. WR Chris GIVENS
WR Austin PETTIS ............................ WR Brian QUICK

WR Steve SMITH ............................... WR Stedman BAILEY
WR Brian QUICK ................... ........... WR Justin VELTUNG

TE Lance KENDRICKS ........................... TE Jared COOK
TE Matthew MULLIGAN ....................... TE Lance KENDRICKS
TE Mike MCNEILL ................................. TE Cory HARKEY
TE Cory HARKEY ................................... TE Mike MCNEILL

2014 ROSTER____________2015 ROSTER
WR Kenny BRITT ............................... WR Kenny BRITT
WR Tavon AUSTIN ............................. WR Tavon AUSTIN
WR Stedman BAILEY ........................ WR Stedman BAILEY
WR Brian QUICK ................................ WR Wes WELKER

WR Austin PETTIS ............................. WR Brian QUICK
WR Chris GIVENS .............................. WR Bradley MARQUEZ

TE Jared COOK ................................... TE Jared COOK
TE Lance KENDRICKS ........................ TE Lance KENDRICKS
TE Cory HARKEY ................................ TE Cory HARKEY

TE Alex BAYER ................................... TE Justice CUNNINGHAM

football16.gif

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
B/c Brian Quick got hurt. Badly. I think people were/are underestimating the severity of that shoulder injury. He was on his way to a good season in 2014 (projected around 800ish yards).

Chris Givens' issue was he was good at only 1 thing: go routes. He couldn't (or wouldn't) do anything else i.e, go in the middle. Brian Quick can do that, but again: injury. Chris Givens was traded btw, and cut again by Baltimore. Shows what he is: another 4th round pick in the abyss of JAGs.
So? We let go of Danario Alexander and Donnie Avery who were coming back from ACL tears. Wouldn't give them a shot though. Avery was okay but DX went on to have a spectacular half season with the Chargers

RamzFanz

Damnit
My question to you would be did you see Brian Quicks last game in as a Ram ?? (Not like you say,his last game ever)
He went up to make a catch & just about broke his neck. Case laid him out to dry.

His last game? I watched him suck all last season.

Well said kurtfaulk..... YOU KEEP THE BEST 6 WR's on the 2016 roster

The problem with that is Quick stands out in TC, always has. It has only translated to games a few times.

Ram65

Legend
I expect Quick to show up this camp and season. If he gets beat out by the talented rookies so be it. I'll let camp and the coach decide who stays. It makes no sense not to see if he can turn the corner and use his size and hops to make things happen.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It really comes down to $$. If the kids are close to him in the eyes of the coaches, then he is gone. He is getting around $2M this year, and if he has a good year, then to keep him next year he will get 4-5 M a year. As opposed to keeping a kid with upside who will cost you 500-600K gor the next 4 years.

There are a lot of proven players headed for new contracts, so do you want to spend that money on Quick? And I would like to keep him, but I just can't see how it makes sense IF some of these rookies have big camps.

Last edited:

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Btw, being on Hard Knocks will make it tougher to sneak some of these guys on to the practice squad if they have good camps. Seems like the tough cuts for the Texans last year got claimed.

lockdnram21

Legend
His last game? I watched him suck all last season.

The problem with that is Quick stands out in TC, always has. It has only translated to games a few times.
I watched all receivers succ until case came to be honest. Foles had a Couple nice passes but missed a lot

tempests

Hall of Fame
Can't get that second round pick back, so recalibrate expectations. I thought he could at least be a poor man's Plaxico Burress when he came out. It is what it is.

I assume he'll survive the cut. It's asking and expecting a lot for draft day 3 rookie WRs to push him aside. He wouldn't be the first underachiever to get a second wind halfway through his career. Mike Williams, Brandon Lloyd. I'll take whatever production he can give us.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What evidence do you have of this? Both Britt and Austin are more durable than he is...In what season has he outgained either? Even in the couple of games where he FINALLY started to use his body to block out/go up and grab contested catches, it was Kenny Britt that taught him how to do that in 2014.....The most yards Quick had in a season,was 375 yards and 3 TD's.
I go by my eyes, percentage of targets & catches, and my big thing, is yard per catch. Only Britt surpasses Quick in my eyes....but his hands don't seem to be as solid....and I like Britt...I think he can really contribute....as a wide receiver....

professional scouting and brain power involved in the personnel process? I still scratch my head to this day.......
isn't that funny? lots of guys I always wonder where they found them...the scouts, the positional coaches...nepotism & cronyism at its finest...snisher has fixed this department...we still miss, but the stuff that was going on in 2006-2011 looks to have been fixed.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Well said kurtfaulk..... YOU KEEP THE BEST 6 WR's on the 2016 roster
Florida_Ram said:

There is no problem... and the 6 best WR's will be chosen based on TC & with even more emphasis on the Preseason as well as the factors of what you are referring to how Quick always looks like a TC stud. Honestly I don't think that holds the same amount of water as it used to.

I believe Fisher knows Quick's history and how his stellar TC performances have only carried over into one of his 4 NFL seasons 2014.

I'm one that believes the novelty of Quick's TC heroics has lost its luster. Tarzan in TC & Jane on Sundays.

A few things I think that have some people leaning in Quick's corner

1.) Quick is a 2nd round pick that Fisher & Snead have gotten lots of flack for so they want to prove they were right.. I say hogwash, S&F are over the Quick embarrassment of his draft bust 2nd round status especially if they believe a better long term rookie WR gem is on the roster etc.

2.) He's a veteran and Fisher will not keep more than 3 rookie pass catchers. This I wont argue but they did go all out with rookie OLineman last year and nobody expected all of them to make the roster.

3.) Quick signed a 1 year contract worth "up to" $3.75 million, and includes $1.5 million guaranteed. If the Rams can eat Foles contract (dead money) I don't think 1.5 million guarantees he makes the roster just because he puts on another stellar TC show. That kind of money is under Kroenke's car seat..

A final note:
Even in 2014 when Quick carried his TC heroics into the regular season he was shut down after his great 4 game start.

Lets revisit Quick in 2014:

week 1... 7 Receptions.. 99 Yards.. 14.1 YPC.. 0 TD.. Long of 23 yards
week 2... 7 Receptions.. 74 Yards.. 10.6 YPC.. 0 TD.. Long of 16 yards

week 3... 2 Receptions... 62 Yards.. 31.0 YPC.. 1 TD.. Long 51 yard TD
week 4... 5 Receptions.. 87 Yards.. 17.4 YPC.. 2 TD.. Long of 43 yards

week 5.. 1 Reception.. 10 Yards.. 10.0 YPC.. 0 TD.. Long of 10 yards
week 6.. 2 Receptions.. 33 Yards.. 16.5 YPC.. 0 TD.. Long of 19 yards

week 7.. 1 Reception.. 10 yards.. Injured.. Fluke Injury blew out his shoulder

Was Quick shut down after his 4 game coming out party because teams had relevant film on him? or was it because of poor QB play? or was he maybe overachieving with Britt and the other WR's getting more attention?

Maybe a little bit of each and maybe if he stayed healthy he would've blown up again his next 4 games with big stats? I'm not saying Quick is a bum or wont make this years team but after 4 years (injuries and all) Brian Quick at 27 years old and an UFA after this year is no doubt the enigma of the Rams WR's.

I have no Idea if Quick will be the on the 2016 final 53 but if he makes it I wouldn't be shocked or frustrated only concerned if it appears one of the rookies had a better preseason and gets cut and swooped up by another NFL team.

I am one of many that isn't impressed with Quick's TC Tarzan performance anymore and like I said I don't think Fisher's leash on him is nearly as long as some may believe. He is still easily rated in the top 6 as of today imo..

My current WR Rankings as of today have Quick ranked #6 based on I don't think Cooper and Thomas are going to be cut unless they implode in preseason or get arrested at an LA nightclub. (or injured cant perform) and Marquez has huge SP Teams value..

I had Quick at #5 last week but but for me #5 & #6 are on the hot seat but still safe until proven different. The rankings will change weekly and I have not done any film study on the AZ additions yet but they are last for now...

(The Early Camp Top 6 WR's until proven different)

1.) T. AUSTIN...... 4.) M.THOMAS
2.) K. BRITT......... 5.) B. MARQUEZ
3.) P. COOPER..... 6.) B. QUICK

(The Next Tier Up)

7.) D. WILLIAMS
8.) N.SPRUCE........... 11.) Austin Hill.. new addition
9.) M. NORTH ......... 12.) David Richards.. new addition
10.) P. McROBERTS.

football16.gif

Last edited:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Let the best WR's win jobs! Let the best players win, and earn spots. Why do we keep doing this, cutting guys before camp is over. Can't wait for Hard Knocks, we will be able to see for ourselves.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Is Brian Quick an NFL caliber competitor?
Does he win those 1 on 1 battles for the ball vs JAG DB's who are 5'11" 190 lbs ?
Has he made any clutch plays in 4 years?
Does he have any leadership qualities as a 4 year vet?
Can he make the difficult catch?

I just don't see it. I see a guy who plays much smaller than he is both mentally and especially physically. He's like that quiet kid who gets picked first in the schoolyard because he's bigger than everyone else and LOOKS like a beast but can't really play.