Rams need to let go of the past and cut WR Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Do you want Brian Quick on the roster in 2016?

• Total voters

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You keep the best 6. Period. Right now at camp, this year (because right now all those other previous years don't matter anymore) he is easily one of the top 6 so far. Actually one of the best looking out there period, right now. Quick is a niche receiver, don't forget that. He's a red zone target. He's meant to be a mismatch. The Rams will use him mostly in that capacity. He's going to do his damage there.
He looks great in camp every year, that's the concern I have. And with more "experience" the more he'll outshine the rookies. His issue is when the bullets fly for real, he just hasn't produced. And for all his red zone prowess, he's only caught a total of 5 TD passes in the red zone in his 4 years.
I don't think anyone disagrees with "the best 6 make the team", I just don't know if we can honestly tell who "they" are
Now you've seen him play in person, and that carries a lot of weight. And I definitely value your opinion. I think you can at least agree that there is a valid concern to the fact that he's played well in TC/PS before and not taken the next step

Ramzee

Rookie
He looks great in camp every year, that's the concern I have. And with more "experience" the more he'll outshine the rookies. His issue is when the bullets fly for real, he just hasn't produced. And for all his red zone prowess, he's only caught a total of 5 TD passes in the red zone in his 4 years.
I don't think anyone disagrees with "the best 6 make the team", I just don't know if we can honestly tell who "they" are
Now you've seen him play in person, and that carries a lot of weight. And I definitely value your opinion. I think you can at least agree that there is a valid concern to the fact that he's played well in TC/PS before and not taken the next step
You can't practice hard and flop in the games, that doesn't work. Obviously we would like to see the performance translate to the real games. Hard to predict that.

The 5 TD's doesn't bother me though. At least the stats don't. I don't ever care much about stats because the on the field stands out more to me, since I'm watching. I know his stats don't look good. None of the Rams do. I'd LOVE to see the stats comparatively to other red zone WR's when it comes to opportunities though. That could be interesting to look at. I don't know if such a stat exists.

All I know is, these offenses on the whole have sucked the last few years. Red zone opportunities have been lacking. QB's have been lacking. OL has been lacking. The whole thing has been lacking. If Quick played on a better team, does he have more RZ TD's? I'd have to imagine so. The entire offense has been lacking and it affects the entire team.

Ramzee

Rookie
Let's talk about Nelson for a minute. He's been making a lot of catches in camp and TBH I've been kind of overlooking him. He is starting to stand out in the pics tho. At least in terms of being productive. A lot of catches popping up.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm not for "change for change's sake". Look around the world to see what a dookie bomb that philosophy will lay. I'm all for the best six on the roster though. If Quick is clearly one of the six, how do you not keep him just for the sake of change? I think we have some great new talent at WR and it's going to be hard come cut time to make the right decisions. The WR spot is historically a slow developing position in the NFL and it would be highly risky to not have any NFL experience at the position so Quick and Britt have that going for them. Cooper and Thomas are making it which is going to make it tough for two more rookies to land a spot on the roster. So the argument comes down to who do you keep between Quick, Marquez, Spruce, or Williams in my opinion. I seriously doubt it will be both Spruce and Williams (Four out of six WRs on your roster are rookies? I don't think so.) and I'm not sure you could hide either on the PS for too long. My gut feeling is if Quick is playing as well as Spruce and Williams, he sticks and the guy with the best hands or best ST's play will be your last WR that lands a roster spot.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I picked maybe. If he dominates in preseason, keep him. If not, cut him. It's basically as easy as that. You keep the best players. He said Groh has made a significant impact on his style of play. And personally, I'd like to see if that's true. This is his last chance.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Let's talk about Nelson for a minute. He's been making a lot of catches in camp and TBH I've been kind of overlooking him. He is starting to stand out in the pics tho. At least in terms of being productive. A lot of catches popping up.
Yep. I have to admit that when I watched Spuce's college film, it didn't really jump out at me. However, the fact that the dude can run correct routes and, ya know....actually CATCH the ball should have Rams fans paying attention. A lot of people liken him to a bigger Amendola. It appears NFL.com does as well...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/nelson-spruce?id=2555287

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yep. I have to admit that when I watched Spuce's college film, it didn't really jump out at me. However, the fact that the dude can run correct routes and, ya know....actually CATCH the ball should have Rams fans paying attention. A lot of people liken him to a bigger Amendola. It appears NFL.com does as well...

I haven't seen any camp live (I live in Georgia) but all I keep hearing and reading is Spruce is a vacuum cleaner out there, devouring every ball that comes close to him. And to hear he is running crisp routes as a rookie is enticing. I can't help but want a guy like that on the roster. At this point, if he can contribute on STs, he's one of my six.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
One needs to look no further than how Antonio Brown utterly slumped in numbers when the rapist went down to understand who's in control here,

I'm guessing whomever the WR that develops a comfort zone with Goff is going to burst on the national stage.

Quick? I'd like to see him be that guy, it will all play out soon enough. I would speculate he's on thin ice

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Quick has been MIA since his arrival here. There is a very slight possibility that the lights will finally come on & he will produce on a constant basis.....don't hold your breath on that. Not much difference between Britt & Quick in size if any. Rams need to greatly improve the receivers' & Quick has played a major part in the ongoing disappointment we have experienced over the last four yrs. This new rookie Duke Williams is also the same size as Quick & Britt so now we have three big tall red zone wide outs. Then there's rookie North who is taller than all three. That's four! We also have two new pass catching TE's that should be handy in the red zones too.

I favor going for the new talent & discarding the non producing junk that messing things up in the past. If Quick turns out being our best producing WR in TC & pre season then I would consider keeping him.....might. Throwing out all these excuses for Quick might win over some young fans & yes some of these excuses have merit but I not buying them.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a guy I'm pulling for. He's slow, doesn't make good cuts and yet continues to get separation and apparently catches everything. He was the only receiving threat at Colorado, and played with terrible QB and still he produced like crazy

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is, these offenses on the whole have sucked the last few years. Red zone opportunities have been lacking. QB's have been lacking. OL has been lacking. The whole thing has been lacking. If Quick played on a better team, does he have more RZ TD's
Fair enough, and you know I value your opinion over pretty much anyone!

Austin

Rookie
Name
Douglas
Add my voice to those saying that you simply keep the best six.

Also some good points being shared about how many rookies you can conceivably carry at this position group. Tavon and (probably) Britt are pretty much locked in. You want at least one more vet, so I think you might see a competition between B. Marquez and B. Quick for that spot. I think you keep the talents of Mike Thomas and Cooper, almost regardless of who outperforms them (unless they really suck it up). Right now, it would seem to be between Duke Williams and Spruce for that last rookie-spot, assuming we keep six. Never know, though, it's still early. Injuries and spikes in performance could make our decision easier.

What I wouldn't do is keep bigger guys because they're bigger. Talent shines through. Look at Seattle's passing attack. Not made up of giants, just good route runners who catch balls and have good chemistry with the qb.

If we could find a way to keep 7, I would almost pull that trigger, assuming there are seven worthy players. We desperately need to find more playmakers.

In any case, don't cut or keep Quick just because we're tired of him, or because we're pulling for him. Merit has to win out.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Quick has been MIA since his arrival here. There is a very slight possibility that the lights will finally come on & he will produce on a constant basis.....don't hold your breath on that. Not much difference between Britt & Quick in size if any. Rams need to greatly improve the receivers' & Quick has played a major part in the ongoing disappointment we have experienced over the last four yrs. This new rookie Duke Williams is also the same size as Quick & Britt so now we have three big tall red zone wide outs. Then there's rookie North who is taller than all three. That's four! We also have two new pass catching TE's that should be handy in the red zones too.

I favor going for the new talent & discarding the non producing junk that messing things up in the past. If Quick turns out being our best producing WR in TC & pre season then I would consider keeping him.....might. Throwing out all these excuses for Quick might win over some young fans & yes some of these excuses have merit but I not buying them.

We've heard basically zilch on North this training camp. So he's probably PS material. But if Duke beat out Quick, I'm all for it. Best players get to play. And I like what I hear about Duke. Had a bad day and it ate away at him. Came out the next day and straight dominated. That's the type of player we need. Don't accept defeat.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas

(Spuce) extremely sure-handed dropping just three balls over last 288 targets.-"exceptionally outstanding":

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg

Fisher must think he has another Drew Bennett, the Titans Bennett of course not that other guy:LOL:

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That might be true, but lets see him do it in at least a Pre Season game (same for them)....Quick has always been a tease to me, and that only goes so far before it gets old...It was old to me the year he got injured.
I got it! Quick is today's version of Brandon Gibson! You know back when we had young guys that were vying for a spot and he would own training camp then the regular season would come and you would be like umm he's okay?

HellRam

Starter
I got it! Quick is today's version of Brandon Gibson! You know back when we had young guys that were vying for a spot and he would own training camp then the regular season would come and you would be like umm he's okay?

Lol... atleast Gibson produced at time's. Quick.... my God I've never seen a more poor WR get the benefit of the doubt more then this guy. He has okay hands at best (I'm being overly positive here), he's been horrid in jump ball situation's thus the few TDs he has and QB's rarely look his way. It's one thing if he had a few weaknesses to work on... but damn the WR position arguably is his weakness. The measurables are nice with this guy but unfortunately thats about all he is.

As for him looking good in camp, he always does. Wait till he knows he's gonna get hit...

As long as he is a Ram I'll hope the light clicks on.. but I haven't seen much to hope about.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You apparently haven't seen Marquez North, Nelson Spruce, Duke Williams, Austin Hill, Paul McRoberts or David Richards...They all are tall and can go up and catch the ball,
I like several of these guys, yet, not one of them were drafted....Leads me to believe that not ONE GM thinks these guys have either pro-style talent, or pro-style character. And they have to prove both of these in the next 6 weeks...

He looks great early in camp and can never replicate it on the field in regular season.
His camp of 2014 was his best, he took that production to the field for 7 games...As Austin Davis became figured out, his production declined....
WR's need decent QB play to be successful. It's like saying Antonio Brown got terrible when M. Vick happened to become QB for the Steelers.

If you didn't pick "I don't care who is on the roster as long as we win" then I'd love to hear your reasoning
Well, I didn't...because I believe if we wanna win, we need this guy on the field...Getting targeted, and catching passes.

I know I'm I minority but no way he gets cut. I St feel he's best wr. Not sold on any of spruce, mcroberts, and North is still way raw. I don't think k rams would have resigned him if they didn't expect to keep him. Also they say that Groh is showing him all the attention
No you're not...

if any rookie on the bubble is even close to him to on the field ability, imo..enough, is enough.
He's a better receiver than the 2 that are "locks" to make the squad...But I doubt we have a rookie, that can outperform him, right now...

Some players practice well but disappear in real games. Quick has mostly been such a player. A "Lucy with the football" kinda thing.
c'mon 43...you play how you practice, you practice how you play...If he's not successful on game day, the problem probably lies elsewhere....

Is it possible that not everyone is capable of learning and improving
No, the human species developed to adapt & change...It learns...every human is capable of learning...in various degrees of course...

you manage to nab it take it home and every guy in the place is a little jealous then you go to bed and she is a damp squib in the sack
:shades:
Damp Squib? Dude you said she looks hot, dances great, and you nabbed her - a good craftsman doesn't blame his tools :LOL:

My point is you need to help her out too, I mean she was 100% before you laid the wood - what happened? Hopefully our new coaching staff (Groh et al) will take all those great attributes and make something happen
I had to comment on this...
You got a good one, and the juice doesn't match the squeeze? I'm gonna give it the ole college try for a month or 12 b4 I just throw it away...probably keep it on the side for awhile...figure that thang out...patience my young padawan...:sneaky::cool::mustache:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
THIS time Lucy will hold the ball steady, and I'll kick it far!
~Charlie Brown

fearsomefour

Legend
His salary is not restrictive.
He is a guy with some physical gifts. So I am sure he will stay.
No reason to cut him just to say he has to be cut.
A guy who is smaller (like Marquez) really has to shine to take a spot from a physically gifted guy like him.