Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams will interview two more coaching candidates Thursday

By Gary Klein

The Rams’ coaching search will continue Thursday when the team interviews Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay and Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, a person with knowledge of the situation said.

McVay, who turns 31 this month, is the youngest coordinator in the NFL. He has held the position with the Redskins for three seasons and has helped develop quarterback Kirk Cousins.

Washington ranked third in the NFL in offense this season, averaging 403.4 yards a game. The Redskins were 12th in scoring, averaging 24.8 points.

McVay also has coached with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He is the grandson of John McVay, the former San Francisco 49ers executive who was part of five Super Bowl titles.

Goodwin, 43, has been the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator for the last four seasons. Last week, he guided an offense that helped defeat the Rams, 44-6.

The Cardinals ranked ninth in the NFL, averaging 368.8 yards. They were sixth in scoring (26.1).

Read Complete Article
[www.latimes.com]

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An interesting tidbit on josh mcdaniels time with the rams:

"Spagnuolo stated, "I've always recognized that he is one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. We think he is a great addition to our organization." Also, during the same news conference, it was announced McDaniels would have no hand in any personnel decisions."

Makes me feel a lot better that he wasn't involved in that awful draft of ours. Maybe that's why he couldn't get our players to work? He wasn't behind the Salas Pettis Kendricks picks. He started out as a personnel assistant in new England. Maybe being the coach and having input on personnel will do well for him

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
An interesting tidbit on josh mcdaniels time with the rams:

"Spagnuolo stated, "I've always recognized that he is one of the top offensive minds in the NFL. We think he is a great addition to our organization." Also, during the same news conference, it was announced McDaniels would have no hand in any personnel decisions."

Makes me feel a lot better that he wasn't involved in that awful draft of ours. Maybe that's why he couldn't get our players to work? He wasn't behind the Salas Pettis Kendricks picks. He started out as a personnel assistant in new England. Maybe being the coach and having input on personnel will do well for him

They didn't give him personnel decisions because he had just left his job in Denver where he blew up a talented roster and squandered almost all his picks. He spent a first round pick on Tim Tebow. I'm not sure why a team would be willing to give him that power again.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
He spent a first round pick on Tim Tebow. I'm not sure why a team would be willing to give him that power again.

And that's why if the Rams go in that direction I would hope that Nick Caserio would be the GM that comes in a package deal with McDaniels. Now Shanahan is my number one choice, but if they hire McDaniels, I would feel much better with Caserio as the General Manager thus allowing McDaniels to just focus on Coaching.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/05/rams-search-currently-has-a-narrow-focus/

Rams search currently has a narrow focus
Posted by Mike Florio on January 5, 2017

NFL coaching searches have three general categories of potential candidates: (1) current NFL assistant coaches; (2) former NFL head coaches; and (3) current college head coaches.

For the Rams, two of those three categories apparently aren’t in play, at least not currently.

I don’t see that as being an active part of our search,” Demoff said regarding whether the team will consider current college head coaches, via Rich Hammond of the Orange County Register. “I think our focus right now is assistant coaches in the NFL who are likely to be head coaches.”

As noted by Hammond, the candidates linked to the job include Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, Bills offensive coordinator/interim coach Anthony Lynn, Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Dolphins defensive coordinator Vance Joseph, Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, Jaguars offensive line coach/interim coach Doug Marrone, and Panthers assistant head coach Steve Wilks.

Demoff’s remarks suggest that the Rams won’t be pursuing former head coaches like Jon Gruden or current head coaches like Asshole Face. However, when Demoff says the “focus right now” is on current NFL assistants, the implication is that the focus can can change.

As to Gruden, he has one more game in his current ESPN gig. After Saturday, will his “intention” to not coach change?

As to Payton, who has denied any interest in leaving the Saints, the Rams as a practical matter shouldn’t activate the launch sequence for securing Payton’s services until they have otherwise conducted a normal search. Once the Rams begin talking to the Saints about what it would take to acquire Payton’s services, a presumption will arise that he’s the choice — which will make it hard to get other candidates (including at least one minority candidate) to interview for the job.

So, for now, the Rams are looking at current assistant coaches. But it doesn’t mean the focal point won’t change once they have checked that box.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...anahan-thinks-denver-is-the-best-job-opening/

Report: Kyle Shanahan thinks Denver is the best job opening
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2017

Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan is a candidate for most of the NFL’s six head-coaching vacancies, but there’s reportedly one he prefers over the others, and that’s the one his dad once had.

The Denver job is the one Shanahan has his eyes on, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network. Shanahan’s father, Mike Shanahan, coached the Broncos to two Super Bowl titles.

If Broncos G.M. John Elway wants to keep the Broncos on the same course set by the recently retired head coach Gary Kubiak, Shanahan would make a lot of sense: Shanahan’s first coordinator job was under Kubiak in Houston, and Shanahan would likely be open to keeping a lot of Kubiak’s assistants, which Elway said he hoped the next head coach would do.

Shanahan is set to interview with Elway on Saturday. Shanahan has also drawn interest from the 49ers, Jaguars and Rams.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Report: Kyle Shanahan thinks Denver is the best job opening
Posted by Michael David Smith on January 5, 2017

Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan is a candidate for most of the NFL’s six head-coaching vacancies, but there’s reportedly one he prefers over the others, and that’s the one his dad once had.

The Denver job is the one Shanahan has his eyes on, according to Mike Garafolo of NFL Network. Shanahan’s father, Mike Shanahan, coached the Broncos to two Super Bowl titles.

If Broncos G.M. John Elway wants to keep the Broncos on the same course set by the recently retired head coach Gary Kubiak, Shanahan would make a lot of sense: Shanahan’s first coordinator job was under Kubiak in Houston, and Shanahan would likely be open to keeping a lot of Kubiak’s assistants, which Elway said he hoped the next head coach would do.

Shanahan is set to interview with Elway on Saturday. Shanahan has also drawn interest from the 49ers, Jaguars and Rams.

I just have this strong feeling like Denver is where Shanahan lands.

His dad had good memories there... Elway is dynamic... I'd be surprised if the Rams get Shanahan (who I liked if his dad was brought on in a strong advisory role).

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They didn't give him personnel decisions because he had just left his job in Denver where he blew up a talented roster and squandered almost all his picks. He spent a first round pick on Tim Tebow. I'm not sure why a team would be willing to give him that power again.
Ahhhh right. I was thinking personnel as in draft and free agents. I'm guessing the idea is that he learned from his time in Denver

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Some of this sounds pretty good, some of this scares the Crap out of me! I have to think about this! I don't know that I agree with Demoff's approach in certain areas!!

Last edited:

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
And that's why if the Rams go in that direction I would hope that Nick Caserio would be the GM that comes in a package deal with McDaniels. Now Shanahan is my number one choice, but if they hire McDaniels, I would feel much better with Caserio as the General Manager thus allowing McDaniels to just focus on Coaching.

Looks like that is what San Fran is trying to do. They are interviewing both guys and it has been reported that McDaniels is the guy they want. Debatable if he wants them back.

If McDaniels is there guy I am sure the Rams would have no problem bringing in Caserio as well and demoting Snead. Kinda like the Thomas Demitroff Scott Pioli combo in Atlanta.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Interesting how every defensive candidate this year played against the rams. Looks like we are really getting as much intel as possible to improve the offense.

No doubt. And Demoff is going to hear the same thing from each of them: predictable tendencies for down / distance / formation, keys and tells by certain Rams players that everyone probably knew about, insufficient threats in pass catchers, undisiciplined line that was easily confused all season by stunts, blitzes, etc., even when the protection calls gave them the right numbers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just have this strong feeling like Denver is where Shanahan lands.

You and just about everyone else tbh. I do think there's a chance he decides to strike out on his own under a patient owner with deep pockets and a fine young QB, but I am in the minority.

Looks like that is what San Fran is trying to do. They are interviewing both guys and it has been reported that McDaniels is the guy they want. Debatable if he wants them back.

If McDaniels is there guy I am sure the Rams would have no problem bringing in Caserio as well and demoting Snead. Kinda like the Thomas Demitroff Scott Pioli combo in Atlanta.

McDaniels will probably end up being a pretty good hire for some team because he won't get that personnel power, but he's smart and knows his X's and O's and think he'll give whatever team he goes to a big edge offensively. The hard guy to land will be Caserio, who has no doubt seen the debacles of other ex-Patriots and who is in a very nice place right now in New England. I don't think he'll want to immerse himself in that mess under that particular owner, I certainly wouldn't.

IMO Kroenke has the inside line on any GM he wants. And he might already have his guy lined up. I suspect it might be Ballard if so. Either way if Stan wants Caserio I'd have to think the dude would jump at the job before he'd go to SF. We'll see though.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I don't know why as in I Can't quite nail it down but I am really, really intrigued by McVay. I am also very concerned about his age (experience) but I see a littlle Adam Gase in there.EDIT Below

I really don't think the Rams have any interest in a guy that young just because we seem to have such a group of dysfunctional personalities

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You and just about everyone else tbh. I do think there's a chance he decides to strike out on his own under a patient owner with deep pockets and a fine young QB, but I am in the minority.
I'm with you.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm hearing that Jeff Fisher might interview for the Rams job again.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why as in I Can't quite nail it down but I am really, really intrigued by McVay. I am also very concerned about his age (experience) but I see a littlle Adam Gase in there.EDIT Below

I really don't think the Rams have any interest in a guy that young just because we seem to have such a group of dysfunctional personalities

He is interviewing today so we might hear something, or so I hope, since I would like them to give him a shot. The youth thing doesn't really bother me, tbh, because he has a veteran coach in Callahan working for him who was quoted in saying the kid's age doesn't matter. That carries immense weight with me for a guy like Bill Callahan to report to and work with him seamlessly like he does with no reservations, and shows what a unique talent McVay is as a coach.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He is interviewing today so we might hear something, or so I hope, since I would like them to give him a shot. The youth thing doesn't really bother me, tbh, because he has a veteran coach in Callahan working for him who was quoted in saying the kid's age doesn't matter. That carries immense weight with me for a guy like Bill Callahan to report to and work with him seamlessly like he does with no reservations, and shows what a unique talent McVay is as a coach.

Man, if he could bring Callahan with him ... our OL is better instantly. Granted, he would have to make Callahan OC (not that I have a problem with that), but you know that would positively impact our OL situation.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man, if he could bring Callahan with him ... our OL is better instantly. Granted, he would have to make Callahan OC (not that I have a problem with that), but you know that would positively impact our OL situation.

Yeah and we discussed this before, with @den-the-coach being the fun sponge by pointing out the Skins probably wouldn't let him go with McVay. Gotta agree it's a longshot sigh. But yeah, would be amazing.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Yeah and we discussed this before, with @den-the-coach being the fun sponge by pointing out the Skins probably wouldn't let him go with McVay. Gotta agree it's a longshot sigh. But yeah, would be amazing.

Well, they would certainly be smart to keep Callahan ... but we can always dream, can't we?