Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the Rams have interviewed Wilks and Fassel
Rooney rule is covered
And I guess the Gruden ship sailed, haven't even heard his name mentioned lately

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...aching-jobs/zyFR6H8oaOuAcxTCUg03HN/story.html

Josh McDaniels to interview for three head jobs Saturday

By Ben VolinGlobe Staff
January 3, 2017

The Patriots’ players will be off this weekend with a bye in the wild-card round of the NFL playoffs. But the assistant coaches will be plenty busy.

After passing on head coaching interviews last January, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has officially scheduled interviews Saturday in Foxborough with the Rams, Jaguars and 49ers for their head coaching vacancies, a league source confirmed to the Globe.

The interviews will be conducted at a hotel near Gillette Stadium, with each team setting up shop in their own suite. Saturday is the only day that worked for McDaniels, as Patriots coaches are due back in the offices on Sunday to prepare for their divisional round game Jan. 14. League rules require teams to interview coaches at times and locations that are convenient to their current teams.

Defensive coordinator Matt Patricia will presumably be on a similar schedule Saturday, as he is set to interview with the Chargers and Rams for their head coaching vacancies, according to NFL Network. The 49ers also requested an interview with Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio for their general manager job.

McDaniels, Patricia and Caserio have until Sunday to interview for any jobs, and cannot be hired until the Patriots’ season is complete. If the Patriots reach the Super Bowl, they can interview again during the bye week following the conference championship games.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The interviews will be conducted at a hotel near Gillette Stadium, with each team setting up shop in their own suite.

So, the Rams make sure they are the first to interview... then, they keep hitting the fire alarms.
:)

Zero

Pro Bowler
https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/...aching-jobs/zyFR6H8oaOuAcxTCUg03HN/story.html

Josh McDaniels to interview for three head jobs Saturday

By Ben VolinGlobe Staff
January 3, 2017

The Patriots’ players will be off this weekend with a bye in the wild-card round of the NFL playoffs. But the assistant coaches will be plenty busy.

After passing on head coaching interviews last January, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels has officially scheduled interviews Saturday in Foxborough with the Rams, Jaguars and 49ers for their head coaching vacancies, a league source confirmed to the Globe.

The interviews will be conducted at a hotel near Gillette Stadium, with each team setting up shop in their own suite. Saturday is the only day that worked for McDaniels, as Patriots coaches are due back in the offices on Sunday to prepare for their divisional round game Jan. 14. League rules require teams to interview coaches at times and locations that are convenient to their current teams.

Defensive coordinator Matt Patricia will presumably be on a similar schedule Saturday, as he is set to interview with the Chargers and Rams for their head coaching vacancies, according to NFL Network. The 49ers also requested an interview with Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio for their general manager job.

McDaniels, Patricia and Caserio have until Sunday to interview for any jobs, and cannot be hired until the Patriots’ season is complete. If the Patriots reach the Super Bowl, they can interview again during the bye week following the conference championship games.
Just do not have a good feeling about this guy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am confused how the Rams have not requested to speak with Caserio, or any real list of GMs for that matter. Everyone is baggin on the 9ers owner of late, but if you look at his search he is all over top GM names. While Ballard told him no, which I enjoyed greatly, he still has some talented execs on his list for interview.

Not a big deal at this point but it is a concern for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am confused how the Rams have not requested to speak with Caserio, or any real list of GMs for that matter. Everyone is baggin on the 9ers owner of late, but if you look at his search he is all over top GM names. While Ballard told him no, which I enjoyed greatly, he still has some talented execs on his list for interview.

Not a big deal at this point but it is a concern for me.

I wonder if it's because of the philosophy each team is using?

Could the 49'ers be hiring a GM to hire the HC? The Rams going HC first and deciding on how the GM fits based on the HC they land?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if it's because of the philosophy each team is using?

Could the 49'ers be hiring a GM to hire the HC? The Rams going HC first and deciding on how the GM fits based on the HC they land?

I do think that's why, and how it is being done. I recognize it can be done either way, however I was hoping they would at least be interviewing GMs as well during this period and getting a feel for them on a personal level.

That said, who knows, maybe Demoff has his preferred GM lined up. Maybe it's the dude from KC who refused to interview with the 9ers? I don't know. Got my fingers crossed but it is a concern for me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I do think that's why, and how it is being done. I recognize it can be done either way, however I was hoping they would at least be interviewing GMs as well during this period and getting a feel for them on a personal level.

That said, who knows, maybe Demoff has his preferred GM lined up. Maybe it's the dude from KC who refused to interview with the 9ers? I don't know. Got my fingers crossed but it is a concern for me.

I share the concern.

The whole marriage of the HC and GM seems so much more complicated these days.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://theringer.com/does-trading-for-sean-payton-make-sense-for-the-rams-607c0f93f236#.b6bzdrneb

Does Trading for Asshole Face Make Sense for the Rams?
Our NFL crew breaks down the rumored blockbuster scenario
The Ringer NFL Show

1*k-eDCQD9yqXBgPDTkCdI-Q.jpeg

Asshole Face (Getty Images)

The Los Angeles Rams are seemingly interviewing everyone for their head-coaching vacancy. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan. Redskins OC Sean McVay. Panthers assistant Steve Wilks. Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

But only one candidate has Super Bowl experience as a head coach: Asshole Face. The longtime Saints coach is reportedly available for trade. Could he be the man to rehabilitate the Rams’ league-worst offense? Kevin Clark, Robert Mays, and Danny Kelly break it down.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URHy0MLcqz4

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bye, bye Les Snead?

Definitely. The writing was on the wall in Demoff's original comments, when he listed Fisher's firing as an organizational failure. From that moment on Les is a dead man walking.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://theringer.com/does-trading-for-sean-payton-make-sense-for-the-rams-607c0f93f236#.b6bzdrneb

The Ringer NFL Show

The Los Angeles Rams are seemingly interviewing everyone for their head-coaching vacancy. Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels. Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan. Redskins OC Sean McVay. Panthers assistant Steve Wilks. Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia.

But only one candidate has Super Bowl experience as a head coach: Asshole Face. The longtime Saints coach is reportedly available for trade. Could he be the man to rehabilitate the Rams’ league-worst offense? Kevin Clark, Robert Mays, and Danny Kelly break it down.

I thought I read somewhere today that Payton shot down this whole rumor of him moving on.

God, I hate the press.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ

The Ringer NFL Show

Good video..moderators I have a suggestion..and I do not know what its called, but can you make the video float down on the side of page so that we could read additional posts in the current discussion we are reading?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-head-coach-rumors-candidates-black-monday-mailbag

As the Coach Carousel Spins

With six head-coach vacancies, and maybe more to come, the rumor mill is abuzz with names and scenarios, including the hottest prospect and toughest sell. Plus mail on Jimmy Garoppolo, Larry Fitzgerald and more

by Peter King

2157889318001_5269504283001_jerry-kramer.jpg

Will Jerry Kramer ever get in the Hall of Fame
The MMQB's Peter King takes reader questions on Jerry Kramer, Drew Brees and a surprise Super Bowl contender.

What I know, and what I’m hearing, on the coach derbies as we reach the oddest of modern football oddities: zero firings on Black Monday, and no increase in the six vacancies that we knew about Sunday:

Mike Smith is a hot name. The Jags want someone with head-coaching experience; thus the interest in Tom Coughlin, Josh McDaniels and Smith, the former Atlanta coach (lifetime record: 67-50) now working as a defensive coordinator in Tampa Bay. Interesting. There are six openings, and a couple have zero interest in Smith. But as GMs say when an agent throws out a silly asking price in unrestricted free agency: It only takes one. In this case, it only takes one team to fall in love with a candidate to make him a head coach. Remember when Bruce Arians was bypassed by seven teams in 2013, and the eighth and last one, Arizona, fell for him? Let that be a lesson to everyone. Don’t hurry.

• David Shaw and Chris Petersen are not coming out now. No idea if Nick Saban would. Stanford and Washington needn’t be worried about the head coaches they love. But I keep wondering how many national titles it will take for Saban to think it might be time to look around, particularly at age 65. What happens if Jim Irsay does more than wonder why his team just won eight games with Andrew Luck at quarterback, and why so many of those eight were fights to the death against the Jacksonvilles of the league? Indy is not Tuscaloosa, but it might be small enough to appeal to Saban and his wife. The Colts’ quarterback certainly would. I’ll always think that’s the thing Saban looks back on with regret—not stretching to sign Drew Brees, coming off shoulder surgery, in Miami in 2006.

• The stars are not coming out this year. Wrote it Monday. Still true today. “I’m not sold on anybody. This could be a long process,” one coach-search man said Tuesday night.

• Hot names: Smith, defensive coordinators Vance Joseph (Miami), Teryl Austin (Detroit), Matt Patricia (New England), Sean McDermott (Carolina); offensive coordinators Sean McVay (Washington), Josh McDaniels (New England), Kyle Shanahan (Atlanta); special teams coordinator Dave Toub (Kansas City), and interim coach Anthony Lynn of the Bills.

• Buffalo is going to be a tough sell. Around the league, the performance of GM Doug Whaley at his Monday press conference was not well-received, particularly the part about how he was informed by ownership that Rex Ryan was being whacked and he (Whaley) had no say in it. The reaction was, if I may translate, Who wants to work for that guy? That plus the fact that no one really knows a thing about the Howard Hughes-like Pegulas, and there’s no sure quarterback of the future, and it sometimes seems like the land of mercenaries. Just know that Buffalo’s not going to have an easy time find a coach it loves. If I were Whaley and Pegula, I’d target Tom Coughlin, and tell him he’d better have a very logical successor on his staff.

• I still think there might be an opening or two to come. Obviously, watch for change in New Orleans, but only if there’s a team out there willing to pay Asshole Face $9 million a year and willing to give a second-day draft choice to the Saints. I found it interesting that Payton told WWL radio that “absolutely” the Saints were the only team he’s interested in coaching next year. That is not what I have heard, but it takes two to dance. … Houston and Bill O’Brien—you wouldn’t think there was a chance that would change. And it probably will not. But I keep hearing things are not great between O’Brien and GM Rick Smith, so stay tuned to the first post-playoff-loss day in Houston. … Strange to hear nothing from Indianapolis, which could mean that all’s well but also could mean owner Jim Irsay is asking himself, How’d we go 8-8 last year with Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley and Charlie Whitehurst playing quarterback, and no better this year?

Too early, really, to be near the end of the line on any of these jobs. I think the rumor mill will work overtime this month, because so many teams are looking at so many coaches. So settle in.

Now for your email:

mmqb-fitz.jpg

Photo: Stephen Dunn/Getty Images
Has the NFL seen the last of Larry Fitzgerald in a uniform? The Cardinals wide receiver reportedly is mulling retirement.

ON FITZ AND THE CARDINALS

Another prime example for not playing 18 games in a season was David Johnson’s injury yesterday. That was a terrible sight in a tremendously disappointing season for us Cards fan. Also surprised you didn't mention Larry Fitzgerald as possibly retiring. Also, did you know the Cards were the only team to finish in the top 10 this season in total offense and defense that did not make the playoffs? In your history of covering the NFL, have you ever seen a team completely derailed by their special teams like the Cards were this year?

—Dusty T.

I did owe Larry Fitzgerald some notice this week and that was bad on me. I plan to make amends Monday on a few end-of-regular-season notes that I missed. I feel for Johnson. What a year, and to have him end it on the sidelines was a bummer. Agreed on the kicking game—an unmitigated disaster. Cost them three wins, easily. That’s why I think Bruce Arians opens up the kicking competition.

KICK RETURNER IGNORING THE BALL

I am a diehard Steelers fan and I remember one game back when Barry Foster was a rookie (or his second year) against the Niners. The ball was kicked to him and he walked away from it. The announcers said he probably was thinking it was like a punt and that it was a dead ball, but the Niners grabbed it and ran it in for a TD, which didn't count because you could not advance it.

—Andrew

Thanks, Andrew. Phil McConkey, the old Giants’ returner, texted on Monday to remind me it happened in a Rams-Giants game in 1984. Happy to hear from Phil, one of my favorite Giants from that era.

CHIP KELLY

I'm curious about your unflinching support of Chip Kelly. He had a winning lineup, and became a victim of his own arrogance in Philly with the losses of LeSean McCoy, DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin, and nothing to show for them. And he took the job in San Fran, knowing full well there was nothing there. Sometimes great coaches can perform alchemy. But mildly above expectation isn’t beyond reason for a worthy coach. He did not. I understand there was a quick trigger, but that probably had more to do with his connection to the ineptitude of Trent Baalke. It may be a mess in San Francisco but I'll be surprised if Kelly gets a head coaching job this year amid a sea of openings. Would you not agree?

—Steve D., Toronto

Good points, Steve. I heard similar from other readers too. Allow me to retort:

1. My points about Kelly are largely two—that calling his tenure with two 10-win seasons out of three in Philadelphia a total failure is laughable, and that the 49ers acted precipitously in firing him after one year when they knew what they were getting when they hired him last January. I stand by both.

2. Kelly probably should have taken a gap year before taking the Niners job. The one thing he needs to do—and certainly must do now—is take a long hard look at himself and ask, “Why I have left people in two NFL team offices so fed up with me, and so anxious to be rid of me? What can I do to learn about myself as a coach and a people manager?” He has some weaknesses, and he needs to learn about them and learn how to get an organization on the same page. When you’re Bill Belichick, and you have the pelts on the wall from world titles, you don’t have to be concerned about that so much. When you’re Chip Kelly, you do.

3. It is often repeated that the Eagles, and Kelly, gave away and got nothing for Jackson, Maclin and McCoy. Not altogether fair. Jackson, okay. (Though he was a disruptive player.) Maclin’s not worth $11 million a year and the Eagles were wise to not pay what Kansas City did in free agency. That actually was an excellent non-signing. And though the McCoy trade was a bad one, the acquisition of Kiko Alonso in that trade was the key in the Eagles moving up seven spots in the first round last year to be in position to move up again and draft Carson Wentz. So I’d agree that his personnel acumen was lacking, but I would also say others in the organization had a role in those moves too. You can make the personnel point without making the point unreasonably and saying all those moves were dumb and netted nothing. Two might have been dumb, and one of the dumb ones helped you net Wentz.

GAROPPOLO’S FUTURE

Why would Jimmy Garoppolo take $10M/year to be a backup if he believes he can turn a one-year ‘prove it’ opportunity into Osweiler money? Would Aaron Rodgers have taken that deal with Favre in Green Bay? I just can’t imagine a scenario where Belichick looks at an offer of a first-rounder and then some (conditional 2018 pick ranging from 2nd to 4th perhaps?), and turns that away in favor of convincing a starting NFL quarterback to stay on as backup, potentially losing that asset for no return. What, is he going to franchise the backup QB? He may need to turn around and use a first-rounder on a QB, but at least he’ll have that guy under control for four years at much more manageable dollars, by which time we can all agree Brady surely will have to retire.

—Reuben, Boston

Garoppolo might not take $10 million a year; you don’t know, I don’t know. And Belichick might do exactly as you say. If Garoppolo says he definitely wants to start somewhere else in 2018 and will not take a so-called bridge deal as Tom Brady’s eventual replacement, it makes sense for the Pats to deal him this off-season. I just know I would exhaust every possibility to make Garoppolo happy until Brady is gone because I think he’s going to be a good quarterback in the league, and the Patriots think he’s good enough to be Brady’s successor. There are no guarantees that any of the college passers this year are that good. Draft picks on quarterbacks are crap shoots.

STEELERS ALSO RAN THE TABLE

Has anyone noticed that Pittsburgh ran the table with a 7-0 finish? Pretty good for being led by a cheerleader.

—Bill S.

Terry Bradshaw had that coming.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2017/01/03/nfl-coaching-vacancies-los-angeles-rams

Tue Jan. 3, 2017
No. 3 Los Angeles Rams

Ranking the six NFL coach openings in order of attractiveness

by Andy Benoit
rams-logo.png

You have an enthused, still fresh and football-starved Hollywood market, a franchise running back, a dynamic defensive front seven and, best of all, a potential franchise quarterback. Head coaches considering this job will view Jared Goff not through the lens of his rookie season, but through that of his pre-draft work. This offense’s problems along the O-line and at wide receiver make Goff’s seven-game rookie season difficult to evaluate. Of course, whoever takes this job will be inheriting those O-line and wide receiver woes. They’ll also be inheriting a front office that allowed those woes to fall into place. That same front office could be destined for a shakeup in the near future.

Best Fit for Rams
Josh McDaniels, Patriots’ offensive coordinator

It’s unlikely the entire offensive line can be fixed in one year. And yet, you still must move forward with Jared Goff. Give the young QB a spread, quick-strike passing game—a pro version of what he ran at Cal. McDaniels is best equipped to do that.

josh-mcdaniels-650-300-mmqb.jpg

Photo: Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
McDaniels will huddle up with all three teams on Saturday in separate rooms at a hotel near Gilette Stadium. Those three teams will be permitted to interview McDaniels again in the week after the AFC title game, if the Pats make it to the Super Bowl.
It will take more than one "Short" Interview for McDaniels or any other HC Prospect to answer all the questions that need to be answered!
* What would you do with the Players we have?
* Who would you Keep/Cut and Why?
* What Assistants would you bring in?
* What would you do Day one!?
* What type of Identity do you want for the Team?
And many, many more question that take time to answer!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought I read somewhere today that Payton shot down this whole rumor of him moving on.

God, I hate the press.
He did.
Unquestionably.
I tried to spin what he said to have some hope, but its pretty iron clad. He has no desire to a) Throw Lookis under a bus or b) be "traded"

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

You don't interview people for a job when you already have a guy in place at that job. that is bad form. As long as Snead is still employed and under contract, you don't go out and (publicly) interview people for that job. Now ... if they let him go, that is another story. But as of right now, he IS still the GM