Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He is interviewing today so we might hear something, or so I hope, since I would like them to give him a shot. The youth thing doesn't really bother me, tbh, because he has a veteran coach in Callahan working for him who was quoted in saying the kid's age doesn't matter. That carries immense weight with me for a guy like Bill Callahan to report to and work with him seamlessly like he does with no reservations, and shows what a unique talent McVay is as a coach.

This teams youth might be a better fit for McVay then a veteran team would be.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
My personal top 3 is

1. Shanahan
2. McVay
3. Patricia

Shanahan for obvious reasons is number 1, but if he takes the best job in Denver McVay and Patricia intrigue me more than the more heralded guys. McVay is really young and has only coached for the skins, but he did under two different coaching staffs. Impressive that he was retained and promoted after the Shanahan's were fired. From what I read his scheme has done wonders for Cousins and he was influenced by the Gruden and Shanahan coaching trees as well as grandfather who was a GM for Bill Walsh's 49ers. Great resume for such a young guy would be an inspired hire IMO. If he weren't so young he may be number one.

I like Patricia alot even though I am generally wary of pats assistants. I like that he could have been a rocket scientist and has experience coaching on both side of the ball as an assistant offensive line coach with one of the better O-line coaches in Dante Scarnecchia. His scheme is very multiple and I like his attention to detail. If he could put together a good offensive staff wouldn't be bad even though he is certainly not my first choice.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you think Shanahan might take the Rams job over Denver?
I could see it for the reasons mentioned. Might want to get out of his fathers shadow. Plus I'm not sure how much of a micro manager elway is. That could be a detractor.
Plus im not sure how important senior Shanny role needs to be. Could be a factor as well. Rams might have more room to work there

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see it for the reasons mentioned. Might want to get out of his fathers shadow. Plus I'm not sure how much of a micro manager elway is. That could be a detractor.
Plus im not sure how important senior Shanny role needs to be. Could be a factor as well. Rams might have more room to work there
Well, I'd like it if Shanahan chose the Rams... but I definitely would want the old man advising.

I keep coming back to the concept that a HC is more of a CEO than an actual coach.

That's why I'd prefer a proven, successful NFL HC... I'd really like Gruden, for example - even if he has technically been out of the NFL for a few years.

These assistants the Rams are considering will lack that experience.

The kid will as well... but the old man can help him master that task.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Add in, that Elway will be on this third Head Coach....John Fox lasted three years and Gary Kubiak two and although that was health related, rumor has that John Elway can be hazardous to a Coaches health.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Some of this sounds pretty good, some of this scares the Crap out of me! I have to think about this! I don't know that I agree with Demoff's approach in certain areas!!

What has you scared of crap? Just wondering is all. Thx

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
The Rams are foolish not to have Mike Smith in for an interview.

Successful where ever he has coached.

Which cannot be said of a certain darling of the press who retreats back to NE after venturing elsewhere lead to repeated failures.

I'm good with anyone but McDaniels.

Please.

No.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I keep coming back to the concept that a HC is more of a CEO than an actual coach.

That's why I'd prefer a proven, successful NFL HC... I'd really like Gruden, for example - even if he has technically been out of the NFL for a few years.

The game has changed organizationally in that offensive minds are harder than ever to hold on to. That is not going to change with the way guys like Gase have stepped in and excelled right out the gate. If you want to retain a high intellect offensive staff, the best way is to hire one at the top.

Green Bay is the example I prefer. Top offensive mind running the show and a veteran DC keeping the points against down. The fact that Goff is at an early and crucial formative point in his career makes this type of approach a no-brainer in my estimation. Once he's an established entity and on track and if whoever they hire doesn't work out from an overall point of view then sure, go with a defensive guy or best coach available. But I want an offensive mind who will not be jerked out from over Goff the first moment he arrives.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I'd like it if Shanahan chose the Rams... but I definitely would want the old man advising.

These assistants the Rams are considering will lack that experience.

The kid will as well... but the old man can help him master that task.
Couldn't agree more
Really was hoping Gruden was ready to come back, appears he likely never will

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Couldn't agree more
Really was hoping Gruden was ready to come back, appears he likely never will

Well for all the Gruden fans, he still has one game to do this weekend. So by Wednesday you should know for sure.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well for all the Gruden fans, he still has one game to do this weekend. So by Wednesday you should know for sure.
Thanks... I'm sure he's a long shot... but he'd be my pick if I were Kroenke.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The thing is with Gruden, is that he has a pretty big ego. So I'd think that if he was going to take the Rams job, he'd want the info out there before his last game, so he could have the spotlight.
Could be wrong, but that's what me gut tells me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kyle-shanahan-definitely-ready-nfl-head-coach

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan 'definitely' ready to be NFL head coach
Vaughn McClure/ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he is ready to become a head coach, but he won't let those aspirations deter his goal of reaching this year's Super Bowl.

A source confirmed to ESPN that Shanahan will interview for head-coaching vacancies in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Jacksonville and Denver over the next two days. Those interviews, to be conducted in Atlanta, were made possible after the No. 2 seed Falcons secured this week's first-round playoff bye.

"I think it would have been an impossible situation if we didn't win last week,'' Shanahan said Thursday. "But getting the bye week, it's actually been pretty convenient. ... The whole staff and the players are going to get Friday off. So that's when I'm taking care of that business. I'm meeting with a few teams those two days.

"You know, my kids are upset about it. They thought I had a couple of off days. But that's about it. It doesn't affect anything here because getting this bye week has allowed me to do this.''

Shanahan's lone interview for an NFL head-coaching vacancy was last year with the Buffalo Bills. The 37-year-old certainly has to be intrigued with the possibility of following in the footsteps of his father, Mike, by coaching the Broncos. Gary Kubiak recently stepped down as coach of Super Bowl champions due to health concerns.

Shanahan, a former Broncos boy ball, was asked about his interest level in Denver. His father won back-to-back Super Bowls with quarterback John Elway, the team's current executive vice president of football operations.

"I know some of the people in that organization, just growing up there, but I know more from when I was younger,'' Shanahan said. "I never worked in Denver. I left there when I was in high school. I haven't been back since. I've known the guys over the years most of my life.

"I've got a lot of respect for them [as] football people, so that's really what's the most flattering. When you've got respect for people, you really think they do things the right way and they're really about one thing and that's trying win a Super Bowl. When you have organizations like that who do want to talk to you, that's what I respect the most.''

Shanahan was asked if he thinks he's ready to become a head coach.

"Yeah, I definitely do,'' he said. "I think I have been. I think a lot of guys are. It's about [being] given that opportunity and hoping it's the right fit.

"It's definitely not something that I have to do. I love it here and love the situation here. I love the team here. There's no one better I could work for. My family loves living here. So, by no means is it something that has to get done. But that's a goal of most people in our profession, and I'd be surprised if most people didn't tell you they were ready.''

Shanahan then was asked if he would take just any NFL head coach job.

"Absolutely not,'' he responded.

The Falcons and MVP candidate Matt Ryan adjusted to the second year in Shanahan's scheme and boasted the league top-scoring offense, averaging 33.8 points per game.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...kyle-shanahan-definitely-ready-nfl-head-coach

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan 'definitely' ready to be NFL head coach
Vaughn McClure/ESPN Staff Writer

Atlanta Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he is ready to become a head coach, but he won't let those aspirations deter his goal of reaching this year's Super Bowl.

A source confirmed to ESPN that Shanahan will interview for head-coaching vacancies in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Jacksonville and Denver over the next two days. Those interviews, to be conducted in Atlanta, were made possible after the No. 2 seed Falcons secured this week's first-round playoff bye.

"I think it would have been an impossible situation if we didn't win last week,'' Shanahan said Thursday. "But getting the bye week, it's actually been pretty convenient. ... The whole staff and the players are going to get Friday off. So that's when I'm taking care of that business. I'm meeting with a few teams those two days.

"You know, my kids are upset about it. They thought I had a couple of off days. But that's about it. It doesn't affect anything here because getting this bye week has allowed me to do this.''

Shanahan's lone interview for an NFL head-coaching vacancy was last year with the Buffalo Bills. The 37-year-old certainly has to be intrigued with the possibility of following in the footsteps of his father, Mike, by coaching the Broncos. Gary Kubiak recently stepped down as coach of Super Bowl champions due to health concerns.

Shanahan, a former Broncos boy ball, was asked about his interest level in Denver. His father won back-to-back Super Bowls with quarterback John Elway, the team's current executive vice president of football operations.

"I know some of the people in that organization, just growing up there, but I know more from when I was younger,'' Shanahan said. "I never worked in Denver. I left there when I was in high school. I haven't been back since. I've known the guys over the years most of my life.

"I've got a lot of respect for them [as] football people, so that's really what's the most flattering. When you've got respect for people, you really think they do things the right way and they're really about one thing and that's trying win a Super Bowl. When you have organizations like that who do want to talk to you, that's what I respect the most.''

Shanahan was asked if he thinks he's ready to become a head coach.

"Yeah, I definitely do,'' he said. "I think I have been. I think a lot of guys are. It's about [being] given that opportunity and hoping it's the right fit.

"It's definitely not something that I have to do. I love it here and love the situation here. I love the team here. There's no one better I could work for. My family loves living here. So, by no means is it something that has to get done. But that's a goal of most people in our profession, and I'd be surprised if most people didn't tell you they were ready.''

Shanahan then was asked if he would take just any NFL head coach job.

"Absolutely not,'' he responded.

The Falcons and MVP candidate Matt Ryan adjusted to the second year in Shanahan's scheme and boasted the league top-scoring offense, averaging 33.8 points per game.
If reports are true that he wants Denver, than I'd be surprised if it's not mutual.
We know McDaniels won't be an option there, having already left his mark on the franchise.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isnt Vance Joseph still a leading candidate for the Denver job?