Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You don't interview people for a job when you already have a guy in place at that job. that is bad form. As long as Snead is still employed and under contract, you don't go out and (publicly) interview people for that job. Now ... if they let him go, that is another story. But as of right now, he IS still the GM
Isn't he conducting the interviews? I think the writing is on the wall, he isn't going anywhere just yet.

Also has anyone heard of anyone else being fired from the rams coaching staff yet? I'd like to hear who they are planning to keep and who they are planning to fire. I assume the entire Offense is gone but What about williams and co?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Best Fit for Rams
Josh McDaniels, Patriots’ offensive coordinator

It’s unlikely the entire offensive line can be fixed in one year. And yet, you still must move forward with Jared Goff. Give the young QB a spread, quick-strike passing game—a pro version of what he ran at Cal. McDaniels is best equipped to do that.

josh-mcdaniels-650-300-mmqb.jpg

Photo: Maddie Meyer/Getty Images

I prefer Shanahan over McDaniels...The whole Napoleon Complex scares me and Kyle Shanahan is 6'3 and has done it with four teams, McDaniels only one. Again I would not jump of the Tallahatchie Bridge if the Rams hire McDaniels I just prefer Shanahan and I have a feeling McDaniels will want to trade Goff to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo and that would make @jrry32 actually jump of the Tallahatchie Bridge and we've to change to song to "Ode to jrry32."

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
Although rumors suggest Shanahan prefers Denver, I simply don't see Joseph leaving Denver without the job.

Ultimately, I see us landing him or Payton, with McDaniels landing a surprise gig somewhere like Chicago.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Isn't he conducting the interviews? I think the writing is on the wall, he isn't going anywhere just yet.

Also has anyone heard of anyone else being fired from the rams coaching staff yet? I'd like to hear who they are planning to keep and who they are planning to fire. I assume the entire Offense is gone but What about williams and co?

The remainder of the Rams coaches were told to try and find other employment. We have a thread about it here somewhere.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

The coaches have all been given the go ahead to look for other jobs. Reason being, the new HC will be the one who decides who is on his staff. If any current/old Rams staff members want to be on that staff, they have to inquire with the new HC. Demoff will not be making the new HC keep anyone

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I prefer Shanahan over McDaniels...The whole Napoleon Complex scares me and Kyle Shanahan is 6'3 and has done it with four teams, McDaniels only one. Again I would not jump of the Tallahatchie Bridge if the Rams hire McDaniels I just prefer Shanahan and I have a feeling McDaniels will want to trade Goff to the Patriots for Jimmy Garoppolo and that would make @jrry32 actually jump of the Tallahatchie Bridge and we've to change to song to "Ode to jrry32."

Kirwan was discussing McDaniels & Caserio as a package duo as a top option for the west coast teams today, and specifically mentioned them with the Rams. They had a caller later who mentioned the lack of a GM search and Pat dismissed it basically saying a lot of times owners have that covered without the media catching wind of it.

So it's possible if the Rams hit it off with McDaniels we see Caserio come over as well, and I certainly wouldn't be bridge jumping over that. What would make me want to jump off a damn bridge would be Doug Marrone. Ugh.

EDIT: oh and if that happens imagine the avatars we could make of Caseriio's team photos...

124712126.jpg

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He did.
Unquestionably.
I tried to spin what he said to have some hope, but its pretty iron clad. He has no desire to a) Throw Lookis under a bus or b) be "traded"

I won't pretend to know what's going to happen with him, but I would put as much faith in his statement as I would in a contract signed in a bar on a wet cocktail napkin at 2:15 am.

First of all, he has not incentive to say anything other than that until something definitely happens, because absent something happening, he will be the coach of the Saints next year (duh!). Basically, he has no incentive to burn bridges that he might have to cross again, so his statement was the prudent thing to say, even if he wants to go somewhere else and even if something is in the works that we don't know about. Until a move elsewhere is finalized, he has to assume he's going to be in New Orleans next season. So yes, it's true he probably has no desire to throw Loomis under the bus (or at least perceives that it's not in his best interests) ... but that doesn't necessarily mean he's not open to a trade.

Second, for all we know, one or more teams might have discreetly contacted the Saints to inquire about potential trade terms. I don't think teams are going to walk too far down the road of trying to acquire Payton until they know that they'll be able to get him at an acceptable price. And they probably won't make it public knowledge (at least not intentionally) until they have a pretty good idea that he's their guy and that they will be able to get him - particularly when they might have other candidates interviewing who they might want if for nothing more than a backup plan.

Again, I have absolutely no knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes, if anything at all. But I think at this point of the coaching search, even if there is something to the rumors of Payton going elsewhere, it's going to be kept under wraps for now.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
I get the Payton love but I just can't see giving up draft picks for a head coach. Goff (not dissing him) set us back in that regard already this year. So unless we go nuts in FA then we need all the picks we can get.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Interesting how every defensive candidate this year played against the rams. Looks like we are really getting as much intel as possible to improve the offense.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Don't think I'd seen it elsewhere, but Rock Gullickson has joined the University of Tennessee staff as Strength and Conditioning coach.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
The Search Podcast: Demoff Begins Process

Demoff

[www.therams.com]

I would recommend this. It's only 25 mins long.

Obviously Demoff doesn't go into detail about the candidates but he does talk at length about the recruitment process and the team's philosophy in terms of how they go about choosing a new HC.

At times he's very honest about the state of the team and how he doesn't want interviewees blowing smoke up his a$$.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

^^ this was well worth a look, I recommend everybody watch it.

Demoff spoke well about the whole process - here's some of the things I picked up:

Ideally, the Rams are looking for:
  1. 4-3 Tech experienced offensive coach
  2. So. Cal background, possibly looking to 'come home'
  3. Strict disciplinarian
  4. We're looking at 33%+ roster change
  5. Targeting a successful Assistant Coach currently working in the NFL
  6. Not necessarily interested in College Coach or a retired Coach, but will do due diligence
  7. Many of the interviews will be to used to dissect our current offense

From all of the guys we've lined up to date:
  1. Josh McDaniels
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Harold Goodwin
  5. Vance Joseph
  6. Matt Patricia
  7. Anthony Lynn
  8. Steve Wilks
Harold Goodwin is the only So.Cal guy on the list...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
^^ this was well worth a look, I recommend everybody watch it.

Demoff spoke well about the whole process - here's some of the things I picked up:

Ideally, the Rams are looking for:
  1. 4-3 Tech experienced offensive coach
  2. So. Cal background, possibly looking to 'come home'
  3. Strict disciplinarian
  4. We're looking at 33%+ roster change
  5. Targeting a successful Assistant Coach currently working in the NFL
  6. Not necessarily interested in College Coach or a retired Coach, but will do due diligence
  7. Many of the interviews will be to used to dissect our current offense

From all of the guys we've lined up to date:
  1. Josh McDaniels
  2. Kyle Shanahan
  3. Sean McVay
  4. Harold Goodwin
  5. Vance Joseph
  6. Matt Patricia
  7. Anthony Lynn
  8. Steve Wilks
Harold Goodwin is the only So.Cal guy on the list...

Thank you for the summary @shaunpinney !