Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Kyle RUNS the ball..McVay, not so much

I'd much rather have the guys Shanahan has worked with, compared to the guys McVay has.

McVay won't abandon the run with Gurley. He just needs actual talent. The Redskins are clearly built to pass, so he played to their strengths.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyle RUNS the ball..McVay, not so much

Redskins were #2 in the NFL Yards Per Play in 2016. If he can make us a top 10 offense without running the ball, I'm game.

But I expect he'll run the ball more with Gurley than he would with UDFA rookie Rob Kelley.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Wow. That's surprising.

It could happen, if the Falcons go to the Super Bowl, it's has derailed some teams playing the waiting game and with Assistant Coaches being taken.

Ram Pat

Rookie
Redskins were #2 in the NFL Yards Per Play in 2016. If he can make us a top 10 offense without running the ball, I'm game.

But I expect he'll run the ball more with Gurley than he would with UDFA rookie Rob Kelley.
Kyle ZBS, but also got Mack at C. This year all run games had legit centers.. Wonder what McVAY would try with this motley crue OL. also Kelley not a bad back

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Washington was top 10 in rushing YPC and rushing TD. Fans may have wanted different play calls in the red zone/goal line but they had a decent running attack. I'd like to see what he can do with Gurley and some upgrades to the OLine and coaching.

Ram Pat

Rookie
I'd much rather have the guys Shanahan has worked with, compared to the guys McVay has.

McVay won't abandon the run with Gurley. He just needs actual talent. The Redskins are clearly built to pass, so he played to their strengths.
Yeah, Rams O...talent. Gurley gotta train like he did rehabbing knee, rest...ah.. Goff unproven, no line , no Wrs, no TEs. Hope whoever it is , is quite creative and inspiring. NEED picks to come thru

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyle ZBS, but also got Mack at C. This year all run games had legit centers.. Wonder what McVAY would try with this motley crue OL. also Kelley not a bad back

Hopefully, he'd replace most of them.

Kelley isn't a good back either.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I want McVay and I want Seattle to lose so works for me both ways. Also wouldn't like Shanny in SF, tho others might succeed. Not a bad crop of coaches on paper.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I just read this. Wade Phillips would be pretty awesome. Think we'd get a successful transition to a 3-4?

Well, from what I read Wade is pretty flexible in the way he utilizes his players, so that's a plus. Furthermore, someone mentioned in a base 3-4 they would move Quinn around a lot ... that could be really effective if different players had to deal with him, instead of the standard LOT holding him and bending him backwards like Gumby while never getting a flag.

Someone else mentioned somewhere that it would be unlikely for Phillips to let his name get out there if McVay hadn't cleared it first, so assuming that's true, he might have some interest in coming here.

At this point, I'm all in ... just get McVay and Phillips on board, stat.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I want McVay and I want Seattle to lose so works for me both ways. Also wouldn't like Shanny in SF,.

Okay Mack, why McVay over Shanny? You mentioned sense of entitlement with Shanahan, well, one could surmise that McVay has that as well. Grandfather that oversaw the success of the 49ers in the 80's, working under Jon Gruden.

Here's why I like Kyle Shanahan over McVay and granted Mcvay is 6 years younger. Kyle Shanahan has made every team he's been involved with better. Even the Redskins, it was not the offense, it was Jim Haslett's defense that led those teams down a bad road. Even in Cleveland with a cast of castoffs, their offense was good and won 7 games.

Offense can take a year to digest, but IMO no coordinator has put together such a well balanced attack with several teams as well and not the greatest cast either. Overall, I believe he should be number one on the list unless the people skills are truly lacking, but they have said that about other great coaches too.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I already posted this exact answer, but I'm on my phone.

Basically, McVay is an inside out leader who builds players up as well as teaching the details. This theme is encapsulated in Chris Cooley's comments.

Shanahan, otoh, is more of a "right way" guy that will drill and drill and drill until guys get it right.

I've literally found zero negative inputs from any of McVay's former or current players, coaches, or bosses. The same can't be said for Shanny. Moreover, Shanny specifically got dinged for his staff issues in Washington.

McVay strikes me as a MUCH better fit for how Goff seems to respond to coaching than Shanahan's method. Shanny has been openly hard on the veteran Ryan this year.

I don't want that for Goff.

McDaniel was like that...didn't work out well.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Personally, I trust Sean McVay and Kyle Shanahan in that department. I think they know who they can rely on. I think they know their own limitations.

For me it's not a trust issue. Imagine mcvay and his new OC on the sideline, how often do you think they'll both be thinking of the same play to call next? I'm hiring mcvay to get mcvays choice 100% of the time. Play calling is an art and not like coaching defense. Defense is rmore reactionary and can be taught. You tell the coach, when they do this, we do that. With offense, the play caller starts the process for both sides and the best ones keep the defense guessing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me it's not a trust issue. Imagine mcvay and his new OC on the sideline, how often do you think they'll both be thinking of the same play to call next? I'm hiring mcvay to get mcvays choice 100% of the time. Play calling is an art and not like coaching defense. Defense is rmore reactionary and can be taught. You tell the coach, when they do this, we do that. With offense, the play caller starts the process for both sides and the best ones keep the defense guessing.

You're not hiring McVay to get McVay as a playcaller. You're hiring McVay to be the head coach. If he thinks that having some else call the plays will help him do his job better, who are either of us to disagree?

Jay Gruden was an OC. After his first year in Washington, he realized that trying to call the plays was too much with all of his duties as the HC. He handed it off to McVay (mainly).

Why would we not trust McVay to find his own "McVay?" Simply put, if you don't trust his judgement, don't hire him.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
People forget that Mike Shanahan had a HC stint with the Raiders, and it didn't go well.

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Washington was top 10 in rushing YPC and rushing TD. Fans may have wanted different play calls in the red zone/goal line but they had a decent running attack. I'd like to see what he can do with Gurley and some upgrades to the OLine and coaching.

Yeah no doubt: tied for 7th in YPC. Tied for 6th in rushing TDs with 17. But what is most impressive about that offense was the way the play action was so well integrated with the passing game. It is a real well balanced approach that has netted the Skins over 24 PPG for two consecutive seasons.