Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The fact that they're keeping McVay in LA while they conduct second interviews with Anthony Lynn should shout that he's the guy.

4048156.jpg

So... I got this 15 year old bottle of Kool-Aid...

I'm TOTALLY gonna crack it open if we sign McVay. Just sayin'

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
My other concern about McVay is discipline....Ram players stated they needed to be held more accountable, hopefully, McVay does not try to be their friend.

I think different players are motivated in different ways. Some need to be held more accountable and some will wilt under a harsh environment. A good coach gets to know and understand his players and how to get the most out of each one of them.

If McVay brings in a scheme that works - and his resume so far seems to indicate that he will - then the Rams will win a lot more than they have been - winning brings a team together and the discipline and team culture will natually follow.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The fact that they're keeping McVay in LA while they conduct second interviews with Anthony Lynn should shout that he's the guy.

4048156.jpg

I'm coming to you sir, if things go awry!
NJzYL.gif

Zero

Pro Bowler
Any arguments based purely on McVay's age can be blown out of the water by any number of examples where someone "old enough" has been hired and failed miserably.

His inexperience at being a HC is not dependent on his age. First time HCs can be any age.
Well said,Mr LogicTubs.Well said.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Any arguments based purely on McVay's age can be blown out of the water by any number of examples where someone "old enough" has been hired and failed miserably.

His inexperience at being a HC is not dependent on his age. First time HCs can be any age.
Precisely.
6 veteran coaches got the axe this year. Every year about a half dozen new HC get hired. Primarily well seasoned coordinators. Most dont work out.
Why not go with a young guy, that appears to have the leadership qualities reguired to run a team?

McVay wasn't a guy I was interested in at first. Primarily due to his age. The more I read about him, the the more I warmed up to the idea of having him run our team. He's gone from long shot to a guy I would be very pleased to land as our next HC.

Shanahan was as guy I really wanted at first. His success as as coach and coordinator is well documented. However. The more I read about Shanny and the perception that he's an entitled person, has turned me off as bit. Shanny may be a guy that's a great coach and coordinator but poor leader. (I said MAY, not will). We've done that with Spags and Linny. They just weren't successful here. It's not to say any of them can't be, though.
I want a leader. Not just a great X's and O's guy.
It's also the reason I don't want McCheat.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
If McVay brings in a scheme that works - and his resume so far seems to indicate that he will - then the Rams will win a lot more than they have been - winning brings a team together and the discipline and team culture will natually follow.

Yeah, having an effective offensive scheme would go a long way toward fixing this culture. The new HC will still have to stay on top of players to execute, not commit dumb penalties, etc., but that's easier to do when you have something the players will buy into.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Holy Cow didn't realize that.Do you think they may be trying to get Lynn to be OC?

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
How is he a "Vet" coach? He was an RB coach to begin 2016. I'm hoping he slips thru the cracks and winds up as the Rams OC
But if San Diego wants a vet coach with moving experience, I heard Jeff Fisher is available....
or Mike Smith

Zero

Pro Bowler
where there is smoke there is usually fire. McVay's success will be dictated by his hiring's. His age is not a huge concern but it is a concern. Unfortunately Experience comes with age. There is not a job that I did at 31 that I am not better at today (53) unless it is strictly athletic. The good news is he could still be very good and only get better. I am on board, I just hope he finds a place to operate without trying to control to much. Delegation is the key to success when you can not be everywhere efficiently.
Excellenet post RDlk.Delegation is the key and hopefully we can sign Phillips
to not only shore up the D,but to guide a young McVay through these type of
details that can make a huge difference.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
My other concern about McVay is discipline....Ram players stated they needed to be held more accountable, hopefully, McVay does not try to be their friend.

I can't imagine someone like Wade Philips would be on board with Sean McVay if he were a football version of Stuart Smalley.

That's part of what allays my concerns about that.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also wouldn't like Shanny in SF
Why not? I think I know the answer... and isn't that why you'd want him with the Rams?

Kyle Shanahan has made every team he's been involved with better.
Important! Not a one-trick pony. Proven track record of success in different organizations... important to me.

Shanahan, otoh, is more of a "right way" guy that will drill and drill and drill until guys get it right.
Isn't that precisely what this team needs right about now?

Shanny has been openly hard on the veteran Ryan this year.
So, there was this guy named Martz... ;)

Zero

Pro Bowler

4048156.jpg

Just a tweet about it.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Would be a good day for the Rams to announce their new head coach

If they wanted to upstage the Chargers today...........lol

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Why not? I think I know the answer... and isn't that why you'd want him with the Rams?

Important! Not a one-trick pony. Proven track record of success in different organizations... important to me.

My thing is, if Shannehan is this supposed number 1 choice among teams, why has nobody that he interviewed with offered him a job? Maybe all he is is a genius OC.

Also, Martz failed as a head coach. I loved him calling the plays, but let's not pretend he wasnt part of what set us back.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

Bottom line: I don't think that Goff is someone who would respond well to someone like Martz or Shanny.

He responded well to Sonny Dykes who's an encourager, not a driller or shouter. He's an encourager, not a demander.

And that's the difference.. We HAVE Goff. And I don't think Goff's a fit for Shanny.,

Now, if they get Shanny, I'm sure they'll all try to make it work, but I don't think it will be optimal and I'll articulate why.,..in detail....beforehand...like with Fisher....and I'll be right...again... because these guys are so remarkably consistent that the behavioral analysis is easy. In other words, it won't be magic to say that Shanny will believe more in himself, his offensive philosophy and his methods MORE than in Jared Goff's talent, so he won't WANT to adjust to how Goff works. He'll want Goff to adjust. And if Goff can't adjust? Then Goff will have to go. And didn't we just have an issue with a coach who thought that way? Now, it turns out that Matt Ryan was able to reconcile his issues with Shanahan, but a) we don't know that it's sustainable. Even with his success in Washington, there were issues regarding morale and staffing regarding Shanny. We know that Martz burned people out and b) we know from others who are Shanny's type that his style of "drill" and "my way" coaching just doesn't work in every venue. Tom Coughlin couldn't win everywhere. Parcells couldn't win everywhere and it wasn't until Vermeil EASED UP and was humble enough to change his offensive philosophy that we won it all. Before that, Vermeil couldn't win...HERE.

There are no guarantees in life.

But based on all the inputs I have, Sean McVay is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than any other prospect, expressly because of how he fits, not just with the organization, but expressly with our young QB who is escaping an historically bad offense (schematically and performing) and our young RB who was clearly demoralized by the offensive dysfunction.

Moreover, the idea of adding Wade Philips? That may actually be a bigger addition than McVay. Not even kidding. I mean...if you guys thought AD was good before? Hoooo buddy.

Last year, there was no reason to be drunk on the Kool Aid beyond harboring the faintest of hopes.

If the Rams sign McVay and Philips... you're gonna need a note from the Doc to NOT get drunk on the Kool Aid, cuz this team will improve immediately and immensely. You watch. The defensive guys, especially... will be GIDDY.

I can see it as clearly as I type this.

It's like being able to render the Matrix in realtime... so cool....

maxresdefault.jpg