Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Yeah. I like the thought of the Shanahans ... but McVay with Phillips as DC is just too appealing. If they think McVay can actually land Phillips, they need to start writing up a contract ASAP.
I just read this. Wade Phillips would be pretty awesome. Think we'd get a successful transition to a 3-4?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
McVay with Phillips! That would bring some tremendous optimism to this Rams fan base!

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I have a 21 year bottle of scotch that will be opened this weekend if they hire McVay. But I'm trying to keep my optimism in check here, since it's the Rams we're talking about. Waiting for the other shoe to drop lol.

I have one too that will be opened when the Rams hire Kyle Shanahan as their next Head Coach.

All this suspense... I'm cracking open my bottle as soon as I get home tonight.

No matter who gets hired, if the offense still looks as putrid this season as it did the last one...I may have to consider drinking again to dull the pain.

giphy.gif

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/01/11/as-seats-fill-wholl-be-out-of-luck/

As seats fill, who’ll be out of luck?
Posted by Mike Florio on January 11, 2017

89877000-e1484169777409.jpg
Getty Images

After more than a week of nothing, half of the open jobs already have filled up. And with three jobs now claimed and three left, it’s clear that plenty of viable candidates will be waiting for at least a full year.

The Jaguars have hired Doug Marrone, the Broncos have hired Vance Joseph, and the Bills have hired Sean McDermott. Three of the four California teams are still looking: the 49ers, Rams, and Chargers.

It’s unclear where the Chargers are leaning. The Rams have done plenty of homework on Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay, and he was the first to be interviewed in L.A. a second time. The 49ers had hoped to hire a G.M. first, but ran into brick walls when trying to Chiefs director of player personnel Chris Ballard (their “first choice, second choice, and third choice,” we’ve been told) and Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio.

There’s a theory currently making the rounds in league circles that the 49ers will hire either Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels or Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. And the thinking is that whoever doesn’t land that job won’t be making the step up in 2017.

Others who may end up out of luck include Bills interim head coach Anthony Lynn, Cardinals offensive coordinator Harold Goodwin, Patriots defensive coordinator Matt Patricia, Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin, Seahawks defensive coordinator Kris Richard, Eagles offensive coordinator Frank Reich, Chiefs special-teams coordinator Dave Toub, Buccaneers defensive coordinator Mike Smith, Panthers assistant head coach Steve Wilks, Seahawks offensive line coach Tom Cable, and Texans linebackers coach Mike Vrabel.

But at least those guys received consideration for a head-coaching job. Cowboys offensive coordinator Scott Linehan, Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley, Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz, Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo, Cowboys defensive coordinator Ron Marinelli, Lions offensive coordinator Jim Bob Cooter, and Seahawks offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell are among those who didn’t even get a chance to make the case for becoming a head coach.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Especially since Vance Joseph has been hired and they extended the DC offer to someone else in Denver so Wade Philips IS out in Denver.

Which is MORE stunning than anything else thus far.

I mean, here's the bet...

Pats losing to Houston OR... Denver dumping Wade Philips...

Honestly, I'd have gone with the Houston upset... I figured there'd be NO WAY they let go this guy...

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I wonder who McVay is eyeing as OC. Could we sign Lynn is he doesn't get a HC gig?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I wonder who McVay is eyeing as OC. Could we sign Lynn is he doesn't get a HC gig?

I suspect it will be Phillips' kid, which is likely the rationale in him choosing McVay over someone he knows in Shanny Jr. His son is the Skins' TE coach.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
I like this, but If the Rams go with McVay, and he wants Wade Phillips as his DC, I'm not sure how well that will work. Doesn't Phillps prefer to run a 3-4 Defense!?! That doesn't seem like a good fit for our D!! THOUGHTS!!?!
I dont know, but has anyone seen Wade's daughter, Tracy Phillips???

18s03vymmmwsbjpg.jpg

Stl2La

Hall of Fame

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Shanny's season is still alive. If these positions aren;t filled by Sunday, and the Falcons lose to the shitbirds, you will see a LOT of Shanny rumors for whichever team(s) are still shopping. Could be that some teams (Rams?) are overselling their interest in candidates to get another team to leap at them....then they wait for the guy they wanted all along. Just a theory of course, and I stated weeks ago that I was very intrigued by McVay. Still am and I would be ecstatic with him and Wade as DC. I am just ready for them to get it done!!

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
McVay with Phillips! That would bring some tremendous optimism to this Rams fan base!

I just told this to a friend. The ultimate wet dream being Bill Callahan coming over as either OC or as Oline coach/Assistant HC.

I've been reading up on this Wes Phillips a bit and he sounds like an interesting guy for the OC spot.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just told this to a friend. The ultimate wet dream being Bill Callahan coming over as either OC or as Oline coach/Assistant HC.

Redskins would have to allow permission and if the Rams hired McVay IMO that would be very unlikely....Callahan under contract to the Skins until 2018.

Ram65

Legend
I like both Wade and Tracy Phillips!!! :):)

He has been around forever. Very good defensive guy with lots of experience. Good match with McVay. Interesting

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I don't see things breaking that way Dieter... Way I see it:

1. Denver will go balls out for Shanahan. His complementary BS towards them seems to echo what we've heard in the press. If Rams wait for him they'll strike out on him. The Joseph stuff is fluffed by the media IMO, he does not compare to Shanny as a candidate, neither does Toub, and Elway knows it.

2. Rams will go McDaniels. I suspect there's something in play with him and Caserio, who passed on the whiners' job but did not list why, i.e. he was not blocked like KC's guy that I know of. Familiarity and all that with Stan will win out and Stan gets his second shot at implementing the Patriots' Way.

3. Forty weiners will take a flyer on McVay. Family connection, red hair, all that. He's also in his first job so will take an offer to work for a dip$#!t owner.

4. Chargers will hire Mike Smith. They need a defensive guy, and Patricia is an option sure but Smith is the seasoned option who will be able to build that staff around existing guys like Whisenhunt.

Odd men out are Toub and Patricia.

View: https://youtu.be/OE0QUCUIZuc

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
I think Matt Patricia as HC with MIke Vrabel as DC and Norv Turner as OC would be interesting