Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2017/01/11/is-sean-mcvay-too-young-to-be-a-head-coach/

WASHINGTON — Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay has emerged as the leading candidate to replace Jeff Fisher as head coach of the Los Angeles Rams.

McVay, who will soon be 31, would be the youngest head coaching hire in NFL history, a mark currently held by Lane Kiffin. Charles Robinson of Yahoo Sports reports at least one anonymous executive wonders if McVay is too young to handle the workload.

The executive questioned whether McVay possesses the experience to put together a functional staff, while also noting the recent failures of young coaches given their first opportunities to run a team. Perhaps only one of those concerns is valid.

John Feinstein says McVay’s age shouldn’t factor into the hiring process, using the story of how 33-year-old Mike Krzyzewski first came to coach Duke, despite concerns about his age, to explain his thinking.

“Tom Butters interviewed Mike Krzyzewski three different times,” Feinstein recalled to 106.7 The Fan’s Grant Paulsen and Danny Rouhier. “And every time he interviewed him, he was blown away by him. And every time he interview him, he said, ‘I can’t hire him. He’s 33 years old. He was just 9-17 at Army.’ He’d had four winning seasons prior to that, but he’d had a down season with some injuries that year.

“And, finally he interviewed him one more time and Steve Vacendak, who was the assistant AD who had first recommended that he interview Krzyzewski, went in after the interview and said, ‘So what do you think?’ And Butters said, ‘I think he is the next great coach. I think he is as good a young coach as there is anywhere in the country.’

“And Vacendak said, ‘So you hired him?’ And [Butters] said, ‘I can’t hire him! He’s only 33 years old!’ And Vacendak said, ‘If he’s the next great coach, how can you not hire him?’ And you know what happened.”

“So my answer to the question is if you believe that Sean McVay is going to be a great football coach, you hire him,” Feinstein said. “It doesn’t matter if he’s 30, or 40 or 50. Most of the great coaches get their first jobs relatively young. Not all of them, but most of them. I think this notion that you’re too young…if you’re good enough to be a good coordinator in the NFL, then you’re good enough to be a head coach. And if you’re the 49ers or the Rams, and this guy has blown you away as people are reporting in your interviews, well, why wouldn’t you hire him then?”

“I suppose it’s a fair question,” Rouhier said. “I look at the guys that came before, John, and I just get so nervous. Maybe it’s my own fault, my timid nature, not wanting to be the latest one to take a risk because of the Josh McDaniels, Raheem Morris kind of failures in the past, because they may have been too young despite blowing guys away in the interview process. So maybe it’s I’m too conservative.”

“In the case of McDaniels, I don’t know it’s that he blew anybody away in the interview process, because my sense of Josh McDaniels is he wouldn’t blow you away in the interview process,” Feinstein replied. “My sense is that he got the job because he worked for Bill Belichick, just as Charlie Weis got a job because he worked for Bill Belichick and Romeo Crennel got a job because he worked for Bill Belichick.”

“If that’s the reason you hire somebody, there’s a pretty good chance you’re gonna fail,” he said. “But if the guy walks into the room and takes over the room, and is clearly the kind of personality that you think will be a head coach some day, why wait? Why wait and watch him become a great head coach somewhere else?”

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
Any arguments based purely on McVay's age can be blown out of the water by any number of examples where someone "old enough" has been hired and failed miserably.

His inexperience at being a HC is not dependent on his age. First time HCs can be any age.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Any arguments based purely on McVay's age can be blown out of the water by any number of examples where someone "old enough" has been hired and failed miserably.

His inexperience at being a HC is not dependent on his age. First time HCs can be any age.

Maybe that is why Demoff interviewed Vrabel as well ))

My concern is who is he going to put in place as a HC ? Will be interesting ?

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Rams talk with Sean McVay again — will they name a coach Thursday?

upload_2017-1-12_7-42-7.png

Washington Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay talks with nose tackle Kedric Golston (64) as they walk to practice last June. (Alex Brandon / Associated Press)

Rams talk with Sean McVay again — will they name a coach Thursday?

By Gary Klein

The Rams moved closer Wednesday to hiring a new head coach, interviewing Washington offensive coordinator Sean McVay for the second time.

He is the prime focus of their coaching search, and it is possible they could hire McVay as soon as Thursday.

A second interview served as the immediate precursor for two NFL coaches hired Wednesday, Vance Joseph by the Denver Broncos and Sean McDermott by the Buffalo Bills.

McVay, 30, would become the youngest coach in NFL history.

The Rams, San Diego Chargers and San Francisco 49ers are still in the hunt for a head coach — with a shrinking candidate pool of NFL assistants.

McVay was the first assistant to earn a follow-up meeting with the Rams, who have conducted eight known interviews. Houston Texans linebacker coach Mike Vrabel is scheduled for this week.

The Rams also are scheduled to meet with Atlanta offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, architect of the NFL’s highest-scoring offense, after the Falcons’ playoff game at home Saturday against the Seattle Seahawks.

But on Wednesday, Shanahan told reporters in Atlanta that he does not know when he'll be able to interview with the Rams.

Shanahan said that his focus has been on Saturday's game and that he should know more about a possible time to speak with the Rams if the Falcons win “but I haven't asked,” according to the Associated Press.

McVay, who turns 31 this month, has been Washington’s offensive coordinator for three seasons and is credited with developing quarterback Kirk Cousins into a front-line starter.

Washington ranked third in the NFL in offense this season, averaging 403.4 yards per game. The offense was 12th in scoring, averaging 24.8 points per game.

McVay, who attended college at Miami (Ohio), got his coaching start on Jon Gruden’s staff with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. He is the grandson of former San Francisco 49ers executive John McVay, who was part of five Super Bowl titles.

[www.latimes.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I already posted this exact answer, but I'm on my phone.

Basically, McVay is an inside out leader who builds players up as well as teaching the details. This theme is encapsulated in Chris Cooley's comments.

Shanahan, otoh, is more of a "right way" guy that will drill and drill and drill until guys get it right.

I've literally found zero negative inputs from any of McVay's former or current players, coaches, or bosses. The same can't be said for Shanny. Moreover, Shanny specifically got dinged for his staff issues in Washington.

McVay strikes me as a MUCH better fit for how Goff seems to respond to coaching than Shanahan's method. Shanny has been openly hard on the veteran Ryan this year.

I don't want that for Goff.

McDaniel was like that...didn't work out well.

Okay then, well, if they go McVay and he has Wade Phillips as DC and Norv Turner as the OC I will be on board, but history showcases a mixed result for young coaches, for every Mike Tomlin (34 Years of age) there are the David Shula's, Josh McDaniels and Raheem Morris's of the NFL World.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
My money is on Anthony Lynn going to SD.

They're going to want a vet coach during the move (they just announced the move).

Moreover, I think with the uncertainty, it wouldn't surprise me if SD signed him before we can interview Shanny.

Man... I just want I us to sign McVay and get on to locking up Philips, Bones and the rest of the staff ASAP.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
I want to see this deal done with McVay and Phillips today too. What you guys think ? Is it going to happen today ?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he's their guy, then hire him.
Of course if they offer him the job and he turns it down, that would be a problem

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
where there is smoke there is usually fire. McVay's success will be dictated by his hiring's. His age is not a huge concern but it is a concern. Unfortunately Experience comes with age. There is not a job that I did at 31 that I am not better at today (53) unless it is strictly athletic. The good news is he could still be very good and only get better. I am on board, I just hope he finds a place to operate without trying to control to much. Delegation is the key to success when you can not be everywhere efficiently.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I still think Shanahan is an option. If he's really interested in the job, the Rams need to wait on him. Nobody else is honing in on McVay. If the Rams are really worried that they might get left at the altar by Shanahan, I believe they have someone in house who can determine his interest in the job.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My money is on Anthony Lynn going to SD.

They're going to want a vet coach during the move (they just announced the move).
How is he a "Vet" coach? He was an RB coach to begin 2016. I'm hoping he slips thru the cracks and winds up as the Rams OC
But if San Diego wants a vet coach with moving experience, I heard Jeff Fisher is available....

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His enthusiasm, and respect from the players is reminiscent of a young Pete Carroll (who still has that today)
I don't mean this in a bad way, as its worked well for PC

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
How is he a "Vet" coach? He was an RB coach to begin 2016. I'm hoping he slips thru the cracks and winds up as the Rams OC
But if San Diego wants a vet coach with moving experience, I heard Jeff Fisher is available....

I think Fisher has to be the guy in San Diego now - I mean, how else will they make it to LA?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

4901145-lol!+meme.gif

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My other concern about McVay is discipline....Ram players stated they needed to be held more accountable, hopefully, McVay does not try to be their friend.