Rams Coaching Interviews:It's official, McVay hired

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
What leadership qualities does McVay have?

And you know that how? Have you actually met both? Or are you going on what has been written?

You can watch the Mic'd Ups they've run, things like that, to get a feel for that. McDaniels is (or was at the time) a screamer and gets negative reactions. McVay is a calm positive voice in their ear and someone the players enjoy being around. He's no less demanding, but he knows there are other ways to get the players to do what you want to do.

Go listen to Cooley or DJax or Garcon or Chris Thompson or Colt McCoy talk about him. They love the guy. They don't just say the minimum, they go over the top raving about him. He's both in command and somebody they like and admire.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/31/sean-mcvay-ascended-on-work-ethic-poise/

Redskins offensive coordinator Sean McVay ascended on work ethic, poise

Young assistant coach has Redskins’ attention

Sean McVay (left) is entering his third season as the Washington Redskins’ offensive coordinator. And at 30 years old, McVay is the youngest in the NFL to hold that position. The Redskins players and staff have taken notice to McVay’s ... more >
By Anthony Gulizia - The Washington Times - Wednesday, August 31, 2016
Mike Ashkouti always had a difficult time prying Sean McVay away from watching film of their games at Marist School in Atlanta, even on the weekends, when he’d dangle the most likely distraction for two high school stars.

“I was more into the girls and he’d concentrate on football more than anything else,” Ashkouti said with a laugh. “I was always like, ‘Can’t we get dinner with these girls first and then go watch film?’ He was the one that always tamed everybody. I mean, man, the guy has always been mature, even for us at a young age.”

McVay’s resolute work ethic and poise have been his beacon. At Marist, where he was the quarterback in the team’s wishbone offense — Ashkouti was the fullback — McVay combined those intangible skills with his superb athleticism to lead the team to a state championship in his senior season. He was named Georgia’s Class 4A offensive player of the year, beating out a megastar wide receiver from nearby Sandy Creek High named Calvin Johnson.

This is where McVay likes to pause the story, brushing aside the mention of himself and the former Detroit Lions all-pro wide receiver in the same light.

“My mom always tells people that and it’s so ridiculous you just have to roll your eyes at it,” McVay joked. “It goes to show you those writers didn’t know what they were doing voting me ahead. It’s funny, because you’re talking about a hall-of-fame wide receiver. His success speaks for itself.”

It is not uncommon to hear McVay speak in such a modest tone. At 30, McVay is entering his third season as the Washington Redskins‘ offensive coordinator and is the youngest in the NFL to hold that position. Last year, he was entrusted with greater play-calling responsibilities from coach Jay Gruden and played an instrumental role in directing an offense that propelled the Redskins to a 9-7 record and the NFC East title.

“I think like any professional, the more you get comfortable the better you are,” Gruden said. “He’s more comfortable installing, more comfortable on game day, lot more poised, which is very, very important as a coordinator. You can’t be a basket case over there and he lets the game come to him. He does a good job with the players, always very positive. He’s demanding, but very positive.”

McVay’s poised demeanor and strong sense of accountability have guided him through his rapid ascension in the coaching ranks, which began at age 22 when he earned his first job as an assistant on Jon Gruden’s Tampa Bay Buccaneers staff. As he reflected on last season, McVay considered it to be a valuable one in his development as a coach.

“Last year gave me a good perspective on being humbled by all the mistakes when you go back and look at yourself critically and I’m sure I’ll feel that way every year from here on out,” McVay said. “You really realize what a humbling business this is because there are so many quick split-second decisions to be made and if you learn from those mistakes, it gives you a chance to grow and learn every single year.”

Redskins‘ loss to the Green Bay Packers in the wild-card round of the playoffs are still fresh in his mind. One that perturbed him most occurred in the second quarter after running back Chris Thompson broke loose for a 25-yard gain with Washington holding an 11-7 lead.

The next play McVay called for a pass in an empty formation and left Kirk Cousins with no protection in the backfield. Outside linebacker Mike Neal blew past right tackle Morgan Moses and forced Cousins to fumble. The Packers scored 10 points before halftime after the Redskins lost a precious opportunity to expand their lead.

“I had seen Morgan was a little banged up,” McVay recalled. “[The] formation obviously triggers you’re throwing the football so guys are really teeing off on us. I felt like just getting a feel and flow for the game, that was something I wish I would’ve done differently regardless of what the outcome was.

“Knowing what I was able to process after we picked up the first down, knowing a lineman was banged up, giving them an empty set, a known passing situation to the defense, isn’t the best thing I could’ve done to help our players have success.”

Redskins players have come to respect that kind of accountability in a coach who’s still younger than some of his players.

Veteran tight end Logan Paulsen signed with the Redskins as an undrafted free agent the same year McVay was hired by Mike Shanahan in 2010 as a quality control coach.

Paulsen worked particularly closely with McVay when he was promoted to coach the tight ends toward the end of that first season, a position he held until he was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2014.

Sean has always been a guy that was super impressive since the beginning, just his understanding and mastery of the offensive system,” Paulsen said.

“Always took a lot of responsibility for his craft and his job so if you screwed something up as a tight end, he took it on him as not coaching you correctly. It’s always nice to play for a guy who’s willing to put it out there for you as a player.”

The first team meetings of an NFL season are often the most telling about what is going to follow. They can set the tone for what players are about to buy into from a coach or coordinator. So when the Redskins reported for the start of organized team activities in the spring and McVay led the first offensive meeting, Paulsen’s focus sharpened when he heard the offensive coordinator cite the principles of famed UCLA basketball coach John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success.

“First time you’re up there you’re maybe a little nervous,” said Paulsen, who attended UCLA and is well familiar with Wooden’s esteemed principles. “He was very clear with his message this time, very organized. You could tell he had read up on some stuff. You could hear a pin drop in the room and that’s really underrated. When guys are willing to listen, that’s how you command a room.”

There is no doubt this season that McVay has the attention of the Redskins.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...g-under-kyle-shanahan/?utm_term=.a010415a52cc

Matt Ryan has the Falcons’ offense humming under Kyle Shanahan

Mark Maske
Sports

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck was wary of drawing firm conclusions based on three games but said he likewise sees encouraging signs from Ryan playing for Shanahan.

“I feel like the sample size is still pretty small,” said Hasselbeck, an NFL analyst for ESPN. “I will say that Matt’s issues in terms of turning the ball over last year, they were decision mistakes. I’ve never looked at him as someone who needed a ton of work on his throwing motion. … It’s probably a matter of it being the second year in the system where he’s more comfortable and everyone around him is more comfortable.”

Ryan has thrown for 970 yards and seven touchdowns in the first three games, two of them Falcons’ victories. He has connected on 70.9 percent of his passes and he has thrown only one interception. His passer rating of 119.0 is tied with New England’s Jimmy Garoppolo as the league’s best.

The pairing of Ryan with Shanahan’s offensive system did not always look so perfect. The transition last season was far from seamless. Ryan had played in essentially the same system for seven seasons under former coordinators Mike Mularkey and Dirk Koetter. He looked uncomfortable at times last season with the quarterback rollouts employed by Shanahan’s offense.

The results weren’t great, and Ryan’s mistakes were the biggest reason. He threw 16 interceptions — four of them in the red zone, tied for second-most in the league — and lost five fumbles. His passer rating of 89.0 was his lowest in a season since 2009, his second year in the league.

“Last year I think he had as many red-zone interceptions as just about anyone,” former Washington Redskins quarterback Joe Theismann said this week. “You’re going to throw some interceptions. It’s where and when they occur. Matt should be beyond that. I think part of it is that Matt has been trying to adjust to life without Tony Gonzalez.”

Gonzalez, the NFL’s career receiving leader among tight ends, played five seasons with Ryan and the Falcons before retiring following the 2013 season.

“When things aren’t going well, the hardest thing to do is just do your job,” Theismann said. “The tendency is to say, ‘Things are not going well. I can throw a more perfect pass.’ I think in Matt’s case, some of the decisions he made in the red zone have been really telling along those lines. Now it looks like he’s more settled in and the offense is more settled in. And they can run the ball, which really helps him.”

Ryan spent the offseason working with throwing-mechanics guru Tom House, the former major league pitching coach. His arm strength is said to be improved this season. He also has thrown the ball accurately when making some of the shorter, quicker throws in Shanahan’s offense.

Hasselbeck pointed to a play during the Falcons’ triumph Monday night at New Orleans in which Ryan, prior to a touchdown pass, tapped the sides of his helmet even before he reached the line of scrimmage to alert his teammates to the Saints’ defensive coverage and the corresponding offensive adjustment.

“The fact that he gets to that so quickly,” Hasselbeck said, “it’s clear there’s a better understanding of what they’re doing on offense than there was a year ago.”

Shanahan, too, is in need of a career rebirth. He was highly regarded as one of the league’s better young offensive minds when he was in Houston working for Gary Kubiak. But then he went to work with his father Mike with the Redskins. They designed a college-style offense for quarterback Robert Griffin III that helped Griffin to win the NFL’s offensive rookie of the year award in 2012.

But Griffin’s career became derailed by injuries and disappointing play from there, and the Shanahans received criticism based on the belief by some observers that their offense put Griffin at too much risk with its designed quarterback runs. Shanahan, after he and his father’s coaching staff were ousted in D.C., moved on to Cleveland for a trying season with the Browns and quarterback Johnny Manziel in 2014. But now things are looking up in Atlanta.

The Falcons rank first in the league in total offense and scoring offense. They’re fifth in rushing and fourth in passing. Their offensive opportunities are becoming offensive exploits.

“I think we’ve run the ball really well down there,” Ryan said this week. “That’s the key — if you can run the ball effectively inside the 10[-yard line] especially with the kind of backs that we have. Our offensive line has done a great job. When those guys can get downhill and you can score points running the football, that’s huge. And then I think when we’ve thrown it, we’ve thrown it effectively.”

The tests get tougher from here, with the Falcons scheduled to face three of the league’s top defensive teams — Carolina, Denver and Seattle — the next three weekends. The Falcons host the Panthers this Sunday. They handed Carolina its first loss of last season, following a 14-0 start, in Atlanta.

“I’m sure they’ll be ready to play,” Ryan said. “There’s no question about that. They’re one of the teams that every time you go against them, they’re physical. They’re prepared and they don’t make many mistakes. So that’s kind of the mindset that I have going into this week. We’ve got to play our best football and I’m sure they’ll come down here and be ready to play.”

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am on the Shanahan or McVay Train
I also am less than thrilled by our initial interview team. The more I look back and assess the more sour I become about Snead remaining GM. It is as simple as personnel for me whether or not he had last say he is still copable for our dismal position.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.si.com/nfl/2016/01/22/

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes: Brady and Patriots’ offense are built to adapt

Greg A. Bedard
Thursday January 21st, 2016

Exotic birds in cages screech every few seconds in the background, their shrill cries echoing off the walls, the tile floor and the sliding glass doors inside this South Florida echo chamber. Outside, beyond the back patio and the pool, is a stable of six horses and a large riding area—typical stuff for this equestrian community near West Palm Beach. Maybe it’s this bewildering backdrop, or maybe it’s the fact that it’s four days before Christmas and it's 85˚ and humid. Something is making this a maddening experience, trying to get on the same page with Charlie Weis about the Patriots’ offense.

“No, it’s not a sight adjustment, it’s just what he does on the route,” says the 59-year-old Weis, who 16 years ago, in his first season as the team’s offensive coordinator, installed the offense that the Patriots still use (with some modifications) today. Now retired from the game, he is being extremely patient with his guest. But he’s also a little frustrated.

Squawk!

Choice routes. Option routes. Route conversions. Sight adjustments. And the rules aren't the same for a drop-back pass versus play-action. In the game film playing on a laptop, Tom Brady yells at his receivers and....

Squawk!

Sitting at Weis’s dining table, one begins to understand what makes the Patriots’ offense so difficult for even New England’s own receivers to comprehend—and so tough for opponents to defend, no matter the caliber of pass catcher number 12 is throwing to. Last Saturday it was the Chiefs who left Gillette Stadium shaking their heads, like so many other Super Bowl hopefuls before them, after Brady and this offense got the better of them, 27–20, to advance to the AFC Championship Game. Again.

“Not every offense does this, but this is our offense,” says Weis, who, having left New England on good terms in 2005 to become the coach at Notre Dame, is basically a lifetime member of the Patriots’ familia. “I don’t know why [other teams] don’t do it. I don’t know why you would want to do it any other way.”

Squawk!

On the occasion of Brady’s record 22nd playoff win, let’s set the story straight on a bit of mythology surrounding the quarterback’s rise: Pats coach Bill Belichick was not looking for a reason to bench starter Drew Bledsoe back in 2001 when Jets linebacker Mo Lewis hit the QB so hard that he put Bledsoe in the hospital. Actually, another New England passer, Damon Huard, very well could have been the man to fill Bledsoe's shoes—the competition was that close.

“Oh no, no, no, no,” Weis says of that popular tale, the one that has Brady, a Belichick draft pick, waiting in the wings behind owner Robert Kraft’s preferred leader, Bledsoe. “[Brady] wasn’t better than Bledsoe. In fact he wasn’t much better than [Huard]. Bledsoe was clearly the starter. The No. 2 spot, that’s where the competition was. We really could have flipped a coin to pick the second guy. We ended up picking Tommy—but it was really close.”

But this isn’t a story about Brady's ascension, which has him headed to his 10th conference championship game. This is about a perfect marriage between a QB and an offense—an offense that, if executed correctly, is almost unstoppable. Take any of the herky-jerky option routes that ace slotman Julian Edelman converted into 10 catches for 100 yards against Kansas City. “I’ve played in a lot of different offenses,” says QB Brian Hoyer, who after starting his career in New England landed this season with Houston. “[The Patriots’] system is a hybrid of all of them. It’s very intricate, but if you have guys who can do it well, it’s the best. And if, in that offense, you have the best QB ever to play the game? Well.... ”

At the heart of that system is the responsibility heaped upon the QB’s shoulders. That starts with the “alert” system, in which most play calls are essentially two-in-one. There’s the original call, plus an alternate that gets put into motion if the D aligns a certain way. Brady yells, “Alert!” to make the switch. (The Patriots didn’t need an alert call against the Chiefs until Steven Jackson’s two-yard run with 11:47 left in the fourth quarter—that’s how attuned coordinator Josh McDaniels was to his play-calls.) In New England there are also “look” passes: run plays that are converted to quick dump-offs should Brady see a corner playing well off a receiver. (Most offenses now include some form of this.)

But what truly separates the Patriots’ system is the extensive combination of receiver route adjustments, based on the defense or a defender’s positioning, that all pass catchers—even running backs—have to know. Most offenses include at least a sprinkling of option routes designed, essentially, to use a defense against itself. But New England’s offense is built on them.

“At times there are four decisions that a receiver needs to make after the snap,” Chad O’Shea, New England’s receivers coach since 2009, explained in the lead-up to Super Bowl XLVI, a loss to the Giants. “That’s one advantage of our offense: We give players the flexibility to take what the defense gives.”

That complexity can prove maddening for rookies and veterans imported from other teams who are trying to learn the system. Consider: Since taking Deion Branch (round 2) and David Givens (round 7) in 2002, the Patriots’ track record at drafting receivers has been abysmal. Since then they’ve selected eight wideouts in the fifth round or higher, 11 overall. And from Bethel Johnson (round 2, ’03) to Aaron Dobson (round 2, ’13), almost all failed. The only success story: a seventh-rounder in ’09 named Julian Edelman. “You know why he made it, right?” Weis asks of the player who after missing seven games with a broken foot revived a stagnant offense last Saturday. “Because he was a college quarterback. He thinks like a quarterback. He’s really sharp.” (New England’s success rate in free agency might be even worse: David Terrell, ’05; Joey Galloway, ’09; Chad Ochocinco, ’11; Reggie Wayne, ’15....)

So, what kind of receiver does work in this offense? What does it take? In short, smarts—and practice. “I use the example of Deion Branch and the hours of work he put in with [Brady],” says Texans coach Bill O'Brien, who worked on the Patriots’ O from 2007 through ’11 and brought the system to Houston in ’14. “I’d say the same thing about [Rob] Gronkowski. During Gronk’s rookie year, [Brady] would keep that kid after practice for hours. We’d say, ‘Tom, you’re going to kill this guy.’ ”

Brady has admitted he’s not the easiest QB to play with. Against the Chiefs he made clear his displeasures with Edelman and shot a frustrated glance at Brandon LaFell after the receiver shortened a route. “If you haven’t weeded out the guys that you don’t count on anymore, those guys, they’re not playing,” Brady told reporters last week. “The guys that you count on, those are the guys that you’re kind of in a foxhole with.... You’ve got to know who to count on.”

What, exactly, is so complicated? Why is New England the place that rookies and once productive receivers—with rare exception—go to see their careers extinguished?

On most plays, every eligible receiver is expected to be able to adjust his route—and this after Brady may have alerted to an alternate play—depending on the defense. Here’s a rundown of the different types of route modifications New England runs:

ROUTE CONVERSION: If a play is designed for, say, a comeback route (or a hitch) and the defender is playing in press man instead of the anticipated zone coverage, a receiver might convert his route to a fade down the sideline.

SIGHT ADJUSTMENT: If a receiver recognizes that his defender—usually a safety—is coming on a blitz, he’ll adjust his route. (Simply put: Conversions are based on coverage type, adjustments react to blitzing DBs.) A vertical route, for example, might adjust to a slant, getting the receiver open more quickly in the void the safety just created. This is different from a hot route, which most teams use to thwart front-seven blitzes and which are usually executed by tight ends or backs.

CHOICE ROUTE: Referred to by some teams as a “two-way go,” this usually occurs with a tight end or an outside receiver. In essence, if the defender plays you inside, you break outside. If there are two split safeties in the middle of the field (termed “middle of field open”), a receiver may split them; against one safety (“middle closed”), the receiver would stay in the seam.

OPTION ROUTE: This almost always involves the slot receiver playing off the defense. Against a zone, for example, he’ll sit down for a short pass. Against man coverage, he could break right, left or go deep depending on the positioning and the skills of the man in coverage. On the Patriots’ first third-down attempt against the Chiefs, Edelman took the option to turn for a seven-yard pass and then spun for another four. To see what these concepts might look like in execution, let's examine a play design from an old Weis playbook:

patriots-play-300.jpg

1 OUT SLOT—51 HITCH/OPEQ, which is almost certainly still in the Pats’ arsenal. It starts in a three-receiver set, one to the left and two to the right; the quarterback under center, with a single back behind him; and the tight end on the left side of the line. The left-aligned receiver runs a six-yard hitch, but that route converts to a fade if he sees press coverage or if the safeties roll coverage down to his side. The tight end blocks but then releases into the left flat if the play breaks down and extends. The running back picks up the middle linebacker if he blitzes; if he doesn’t, the back runs a middle check-down and then can release in the opposite direction of the tight end. On the right, the slot receiver runs a six-yard option route that can be a comeback, curl, dig or out, depending on the coverage. The outside receiver to the right runs a 14-yard comeback that converts to a post-corner if the safeties roll coverage.

Got it? Now imagine that you’re a wideout, and the coach tells you that instead of being the Z receiver, as you were the previous two weeks, you’re going to be the X on this play this week. “It’s very hard [to learn] because we’re constantly putting people in different spots, so you have to know multiple positions,” says Hoyer of the Texans’ version of the system. “You have to make adjustments on the fly relating to coverage. It can be a lot, especially if you’ve played five years in a system where your route is predetermined.”

The magic of the system boils down to receivers interpreting a defense the exact same way—and as quickly—as the quarterback, putting themselves exactly where the QB expects. Good luck with that, especially with Brady at the helm.

The ties that bind the four head coaches left in the NFL playoffs

“I don’t know if I’ve ever met anyone who reads coverages as quickly and correctly,” says Weis, who still texts with Brady weekly. “[When I was there] you could count on one hand the times he saw something incorrectly. He’d come over to the sideline, and I’d say, ‘They were in quarters coverage.’ And he’d say, ‘But they were moving to [cover] five.’ You’d go back the next day, watch the film, and you could see what he saw.”

In Brady’s third game as a starter, at home against the Chargers in 2001, New England game-planned for an audible against a blitz that San Diego liked to use: two rushers coming from the weak side. The Patriots thought they had a great answer, but the Chargers still hadn’t called the blitz as the game went into overtime. Then, on New England’s first play of the extra period, San Diego dialed up the blitz. “Oh, s---, here it is,” Weis remembers saying to himself on the sideline. “There isn’t a chance in hell the kid is going to see this.”

But Brady spotted it: He checked off and threw deep to David Patten, drawing a 37-yard pass-interference penalty that put the Pats on the Chargers’ 40-yard line and set up the winning field goal. In the locker room after the game, coaches marveled at Brady’s quick thinking. Weis passed on his feelings about the young QB to his wife later that night.

“He said, ‘I think this kid is going to be one of the greatest ever,’ ” recalls Maura Weis, just in from practicing her dressage in the backyard. “I asked ‘Like Joe Montana?’ ” referring to her husband's former Notre Dame classmate.

“Maybe better.”

Making things even harder for modern-day Patriots is the sheer volume of material that has been layered on since those nascent days under Weis (who, to be fair, didn't exactly invent the whole scheme—he built on a system that New England assistants Ron Erhardt and Ray Perkins created in the 1970s and then brought to the Giants, where Weis learned it in the early '90s). When Weis left for Notre Dame, he had in his playbook 50 individual routes, 29 two-man routes, 11 three-man combinations and four miscellaneous routes. Later, McDaniels took over as offensive coordinator and put his spin on the playbook, as did O’Brien after McDaniels left to coach the Broncos in ’09. (McDaniels returned to run New England’s offense in ’12.) When O'Brien arrived in Houston last year, his first Texans playbook included 109 individual routes, 110 two-man combinations, 67 three-man concepts and 44 miscellaneous routes. “Charlie installed [this offense],” says Hoyer, but “from seeing old call sheets, watching old film, it was very toned down. Now it’s nowhere near where it was in 2000, with the alerts and all that stuff. Brady ... is constantly adding stuff.”

When Brady is surrounded by talented players who know the system and can execute it—like the group the Patriots had during the bulk of their 10–0 start, with Gronkowski, Edelman, receiver Danny Amendola and running back Dion Lewis mostly healthy—this offense can make sweet, unstoppable music. And when Brady doesn’t have that luxury? Whoever those players are, they won’t be staying around for long. “There were a couple guys in our past, he wouldn’t throw the ball to them,” says Weis. “You’d get pissed and say, ‘Why didn’t you throw to him?’ He'd answer, ‘I didn’t trust him.’ Which is not really a bad answer. It’s not the right answer, but it's not a bad answer.”

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Kirwan was discussing McDaniels & Caserio as a package duo as a top option for the west coast teams today, and specifically mentioned them with the Rams. They had a caller later who mentioned the lack of a GM search and Pat dismissed it basically saying a lot of times owners have that covered without the media catching wind of it.

So it's possible if the Rams hit it off with McDaniels we see Caserio come over as well, and I certainly wouldn't be bridge jumping over that. What would make me want to jump off a damn bridge would be Doug Marrone. Ugh.

EDIT: oh and if that happens imagine the avatars we could make of Caseriio's team photos...

124712126.jpg

Our GM journey...From The Hair to The Stare...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
“If you haven’t weeded out the guys that you don’t count on anymore, those guys, they’re not playing,” Brady told reporters last week. “The guys that you count on, those are the guys that you’re kind of in a foxhole with.... You’ve got to know who to count on.”

Wonder how many Rams wideouts would be eliminated by that line of thought...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can watch the Mic'd Ups they've run, things like that, to get a feel for that. McDaniels is (or was at the time) a screamer and gets negative reactions. McVay is a calm positive voice in their ear and someone the players enjoy being around. He's no less demanding, but he knows there are other ways to get the players to do what you want to do.

Go listen to Cooley or DJax or Garcon or Chris Thompson or Colt McCoy talk about him. They love the guy. They don't just say the minimum, they go over the top raving about him. He's both in command and somebody they like and admire.
So if Gronk and Brady say they love McDaniels, what does that mean?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When Brady is surrounded by talented players who know the system and can execute it—like the group the Patriots had during the bulk of their 10–0 start, with Gronkowski, Edelman, receiver Danny Amendola and running back Dion Lewis mostly healthy—this offense can make sweet, unstoppable music. And when Brady doesn’t have that luxury? Whoever those players are, they won’t be staying around for long. “There were a couple guys in our past, he wouldn’t throw the ball to them,” says Weis. “You’d get ticked and say, ‘Why didn’t you throw to him?’ He'd answer, ‘I didn’t trust him.’ Which is not really a bad answer. It’s not the right answer, but it's not a bad answer.”

I feel like I saw some of this against Arizona from Goff.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
So if Gronk and Brady say they love McDaniels, what does that mean?

Nothing necessarily, unless what you see backs that up. McVay interviews and mic'd up sessions back up what I've seen. Also depends on the quote, of course. If they go out of their way to praise specific things and go into detail, it's usually genuine.

As far as McDaniels goes though, he got the Denver job on pure Xs and Os. He's even admitted he had no idea how to connect with people, especially players. Nothing you saw from McDaniels would back a statement like that from Brady, at least pre-Denver. Maybe he's changed since then and Brady is genuine now in his praise. But he wouldn't have been then, and I think if they had all the avenues like they do now to easily access these things, maybe they'd have seen that.

McVay never had that problem to begin with, from everything I've seen. By all accounts he's loved and in every interaction you can find with him and a player, it's great and it's obvious they like him and obvious he's a good leader and coach.

Of course, we don't have EVERYTHING. Maybe the Redskins left out a piece of a player saying something negative to him. We don't know. But as fans, everything we can go off of, it's positive.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I think I see another Dead horse post comin'...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
McDaniels is (or was at the time) a screamer and gets negative reactions. McVay is a calm positive voice in their ear and someone the players enjoy being around. He's no less demanding, but he knows there are other ways to get the players to do what you want to do.

Yelling and instilling fear works as a motivational tool in the short-term but not in the long-term. I learned that as both a child and as a parent. You motivate and get motivated by a positive, consistent example. Don't remember Tom Landry, Bud Grant, or Joe Gibbs being the yelling types, yet they were highly successful.

However, I want a "take no crap from anyone" type of head coach who holds the players and coaching staff accountable. This can be done effectively without histrionics or by creating a negative atmosphere. "I'm not here to be your friend. You don't have to like me. I'm here to bring out the absolute best in each of you so the team can succeed. Do your job and all will be well."

Any coaching candidate, no matter their age, who comes to an interview with that type of attitude is someone the Rams should seriously consider.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As I monitor our search, I keep reminding myself to stay calm no matter the outcome. There's only one candidate who would make me legitimately angry. But there are candidates who might feel like disappointments. Still, some of the best coaches were found that way. So I really need to stay centered and give our guy a chance. I hope we find out fairly soon. The suspense is killing me.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
As I monitor our search, I keep reminding myself to stay calm no matter the outcome. There's only one candidate who would make me legitimately angry. But there are candidates who might feel like disappointments. Still, some of the best coaches were found that way. So I really need to stay centered and give our guy a chance. I hope we find out fairly soon. The suspense is killing me.

That's where I am at.

I see positives (and concerns) with all of them.

The only way to know who is the best fit for this team is to sit in on the interviews... and I am still waiting for the invite.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Search: Getting to Know HC Candidate Kyle Shanahan

By Myles Simmons

See the Video Here: [www.therams.com]

The Rams’ brass has hit the road, to reportedly meet with a few candidates from teams with a playoff bye this weekend. One such individual is Falcons offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan. Here are three nuggets to know about one of the hottest names of the coaching cycle.

1) Presided over 2016’s No. 1 scoring offense

In his second year with the Falcons, Shanahan has developed the offense into a a franchise record-breaking unit. Atlanta finished No. 1 at 33.8 points per game, 4.5 points better than No. 2 New Orleans. The Falcons broke their single-season franchise scoring record in their Week 14 victory over the Rams.

Over the course of 2016, Shanahan displayed how well he could utilize the talents available on the Falcons' squad, with 13 players recording a touchdown reception.

In his ninth NFL season, quarterback Matt Ryan played the best football of his career, throwing for 4,944 yards with 38 touchdowns and just seven interceptions to become a serious MVP candidate. He led the league at 9.3 yards per attempt and a passer rating of 117.1 while completing 69.9 percent of his passes.

2) At age of 37, has extensive experience

While Shanahan is young to be a potential head coach, he has plenty of NFL experience. He became an offensive coordinator in 2008 with the Texans, and in 2009 coached quarterback Matt Schuab to a Pro Bowl season.

Shanahan moved on to Washington to be the offensive coordinator under his father, Mike, in 2010. In 2012, he helped construct an offense around Robert Griffin III that led to the quarterback winning the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

Spending the 2014 season with the Browns, Shanahan’s offensive system helped quarterback Brian Hoyer finish with a league-leading 13.7 yards per completion, and running backs Terrence West and Isaiah Crowell end the year with a combined 1,280 yards rushing and 12 rushing touchdowns.

Shanahan’s ability to fit his system for different players at four different stops around the league is one of his most impressive qualities.

3) Has a strong coaching pedigree

Aside from his own experience, Shanahan can undoubtedly draw upon that of his father.

Mike Shanahan ranks 15th all-time in wins as a head coach (170), having led three different teams from the 1980s to 2013. The elder Shanahan won three Super Bowls in the 1990s — one as the 49ers’ offensive coordinator in the and then a pair with quarterback John Elway and the Broncos as head coach in 1997 and 1998.

As such, Kyle spent plenty of time around the Broncos as a teenager.

“I went there and worked out at the Broncos' facility every day that school ended since I was a freshman in high school, and the guys I used to work out with were like Bill Romanowski," the younger Shanahan said in October, via ESPN. "I carried my briefcase of vitamins around, also. Wasn’t trying to be something I wasn’t.”

Football is clearly in Kyle Shanahan’s blood, and that certainly wouldn’t hurt him as a head coach in the NFL.

“…[T]hat’s really the only thing I’ve had a great passion for," Shanahan said via ESPN. "I was never the best student. I was really committed to sports and always did good enough in school. But football is what I lived and died. And my mom and sister have been mad at me and my dad probably every dinner we’ve ever had our entire life, because eventually they’ve got to tell us to stop talking about football.”

Shanahan moved on to Washington to be the offensive coordinator under his father, Mike, in 2010. In 2012, he helped construct an offense around Robert Griffin III that led to the quarterback winning the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year award.

Spending the 2014 season with the Browns, Shanahan’s offensive system helped quarterback Brian Hoyer finish with a league-leading 13.7 yards per completion, and running backs Terrence West and Isaiah Crowell end the year with a combined 1,280 yards rushing and 12 rushing touchdowns.

Shanahan’s ability to fit his system for different players at four different stops around the league is one of his most impressive qualities.

[www.therams.com]

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Search: Peter Schrager Skypes In

FOX Sports Senior NFL Writer Peter Schrager Skypes in with Rams reporter Dani Klupenger to update on the latest news that he's hearing on the Rams head coaching search.

[www.therams.com]

@TheDYVKX will like this.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Search: Peter Schrager Skypes In

FOX Sports Senior NFL Writer Peter Schrager Skypes in with Rams reporter Dani Klupenger to update on the latest news that he's hearing on the Rams head coaching search.

[www.therams.com]

@TheDYVKX will like this.
Well .... It was nice seeing Dani!!!!! other than that:blah::blah::blah::blah: Schrager:blah::blah::blah::blah:

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well .... It was nice seeing Dani!!!!! other than that:blah::blah::blah::blah: Schrager:blah::blah::blah::blah:

IDK I thought he had some good insights to McVay who is moving up the list for me....Did not talk about Kyle Shanahan either, however, I am sure that is because Kyle Shanahan is number one on most's list, hopefully the opportunity of say in personnel adding his father to the organization and the fact of being able to pay him more than any other organization will trump the others and BTW Coaching in Hollywood too.