Rams claim...Titus Young???

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
Hope he doesn't take a swing at Amendola, when Danny refuses to give up his jersey number.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yup. The boys from Boise.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The Rams' and new WR Titus Young

Mike Sando
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/91191/the-rams-and-new-wr-titus-young" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/ ... itus-young</a>

Titus Young caught all nine passes thrown his way for 100 yards and two touchdowns, including the game-winner, during a Detroit victory over the Seattle in 2012.

Yeah, the St. Louis Rams would take that kind of production against their division rival.

[wrapimg=right]http://i.imgur.com/i3xE0fo.png[/wrapimg]Recent evidence suggests they're unlikely to get it from Young, but they are willing to give the recently released receiver a chance, at least. They claimed Young off waivers from the Lions.

NFC North blogger Kevin Seifert recently wrote a post-mortem on Young's disappointing tenure with the Lions. The Lions benched Young early in the season after the receiver head-butted Rams cornerback Janoris Jenkins during a game. Later, the team unofficially suspended Young for defying coaches. There has been more.

"Last month's bizarre set of tweets suggested Young has much work left to do," Seifert wrote. "Those of you who have been asking if the Minnesota Vikings, or any other team, should claim him are missing how serious of a situation he is in."

The Rams are bringing along young receivers in 2012 draft choices Chris Givens and Brian Quick. Adding a volatile young talent to the mix would seem to carry some risks. But the Rams can always release Young if the situation appears headed in the wrong direction. They're in the business of adding talent at receiver by any means necessary. They have a strong head coach, Jeff Fisher, who hasn't been afraid to draw a hard line with players, including when he benched Jenkins and Givens for a big game at San Francisco.

Young was the 43rd player chosen in the 2011 NFL draft. He caught 48 passes for 607 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. He caught 33 passes for 383 yards and four scores this past season.

Young ranks ninth in receiving yardage (990) among players drafted in 2011. Six players drafted lower than Young have more receiving yardage.

Still, Young clearly has talent. As a rookie, he caught 14 passes for 256 yards and a touchdown on third down alone. That's an 18.3-yard average.

It's telling that the Lions are releasing such a highly drafted player so quickly. The situation in Detroit had become untenable. Perhaps the Rams can do better with him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
In regards to him wanting the ball more, I'm all for it. I want guys like that. I'm sure that Fisher, Sherman, Bradford and Jackson will tell him. "You get open and catch the ball, we'll keep feeding it to you. You fail to do that, you'll be watching from the sidelines." Simple as that.

iced

bluecoconuts said:
In regards to him wanting the ball more, I'm all for it. I want guys like that. I'm sure that Fisher, Sherman, Bradford and Jackson will tell him. "You get open and catch the ball, we'll keep feeding it to you. You fail to do that, you'll be watching from the sidelines." Simple as that.

Titus: "Throw me the ball more Sam!"
Sam: "Then GET OPEN! Danny gets the ball because he gets OPEN"

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
According to PFT the Rams were the only team to claim him:

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/05/rams-were-only-team-that-wanted-titus-young/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... tus-young/</a>

For the Rams, Titus Young’s talent trumped the trouble he’s been known to cause. For the NFL’s other 31 teams, he wasn’t worth the headaches.

Mike Garafolo of USA Today first reported, and PFT has confirmed, that the Rams were the only team to put in a waiver claim for Young today.

When the Lions placed Young on waivers, every NFL team had the opportunity to put in a claim for him, and there’s really no cost associated with having him: If he causes problems or just doesn’t look like a good fit with the team, you can cut him at any point before the start of the regular season without taking a financial hit.

That would seem to make him a tempting player to claim, because Young is a talented receiver: He was a starter for most of his first two seasons after the Lions took him in the second round of the 2011 NFL draft, and he caught 81 passes for 990 yards and 10 touchdowns in 26 games. A 23-year-old who has the proven ability to produce in the passing game like that doesn’t become available very often.

But the risk with Young is that he’ll cause real problems for a team: Young wasn’t just your run-of-the-mill problem child, the kind of guy who shows up late to practice or falls asleep in meetings. Young’s issues included punching a teammate at practice and purposely lining up in the wrong place during a game because he was mad that the Lions’ coaches weren’t calling plays in which he was the primary receiver. A player like that can really damage a team.

So Rams coach Jeff Fisher is taking on a real risk by acquiring Young. A risk that 31 other coaches didn’t want to take.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Well I sorta kinda called it. I thought it was inevitable that someone would take a shot at him. I just didn't think he'd make it past the others in front of us on the waiver list. KC is about to likely lose
Bowe, Jacksonville I realize has Blackmon now so I can see them not getting along, Philly just does stuff like this and so obviously does Oakland. I really thought he'd be long gone before we were up to bat.

I think Fisher just is not willing to pass up on this kind of an opportunity to improve the team and feels confident that the kid is not going to be able to jerk this staff around. Personally, I'm excited. I don't have near as much respect for the dickhead in Detroit as I do for Fish. I am guessing that Young will feel the same.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
RamFan503 said:
I think Fisher just is not willing to pass up on this kind of an opportunity to improve the team and feels confident that the [hil]kid is not going to be able to jerk this staff around.[/hil]
BOOM. Exactly right.

[tweet]298925911368151040[/tweet]

RamsLife

UDFA
Like this move a lot. If Fish/Snead didn't think they could fix Young mentally and help him mature into a man, I highly doubt we would of signed him. So far Jenkins and T.Johnson have panned out. Both were headcases/troublemakers too.

Young imo has the potential to be a very good #2 WR, maybe even a #1 WR/go-to guy. If he doesn't work out, we can easily cut him in TC or the preseason since he's still in his rookie contract. If he does work out, then we just hit a jackpot and found Sam another formidable WR to pair up with Givens.

But whether he works out or not, I still really want us to go after Bowe, Wallace, or maybe even Jennings in FA.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
X said:
He's like any other spoiled brat diva receiver. He just wants the damn ball. Yeah he was a bitch to the coaches in Detroit, and yeah he was defiant and a troublemaker. But. Fisher will give him a shot, tell him what's up, and then pass him off to Sherman. You know Sherman, right? The only guy who could appease Dez Bryant and get him to play ball?

Sherman was tight with Bryant, allowing him to vent on the sidelines. He also instituted something called “Keepin’ It Real Thursdays” to allow receivers to blow off steam. Miles Austin lamented Sherman’s departure in a PFT Live appearance at the Super Bowl. The Cowboys have hired Jimmy Robinson as wide receivers coach in the meantime. Perhaps Garrett felt Sherman let the receivers get away with too much — just think of the Terrell Owens era in Dallas. Still, it could be even more challenging to manage Bryant without Sherman there.

You know, when the team is actually allowed to speak to Bryant again.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/30/ray-shermans-close-bond-with-dez-bryant-may-have-led-to-departure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... departure/</a>

Roll with it, homies. Everyone gets a fresh start. This is a very low risk/potential high reward move, and we all know that Bradford needs him some weapons. There is no down side. If he doesn't work out, you cut him and let him slalom down the waiver wire again. Meh. But if he works out, and he feels appreciated and valuable, then it'll pay off. Maybe even pay off big.

I have no idea what went on in Detroit, but I do wonder if part of the issue was Scott Linehan, for I recall when Scott was here as HC that he seemed to have an issue maintaining his leadership.... and didn't some of our players at the time revolt.

Whatever it is/was, I'm expecting that Fish will either nip-it-in-the-bud or not tolerate it. Either way, I don't see his signing as becoming a negative influence on our team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
[tweet]298941853854748672[/tweet]

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Young obviously has talent and obviously has some growing up to do but maybe just maybe getting cut by the Lions shocked him a little bit and let him know teams won't put up with his shit. If any coaching staff in the league can handle this kid, Fisher's crew is it. I think this is worth a shot and could free up a draft slot for another position of need this year. It's a no lose proposition as long as the Rams feel good about him after camp. Nothing to lose up to that point.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
interference said:
X said:
He's like any other spoiled brat diva receiver. He just wants the damn ball. Yeah he was a bitch to the coaches in Detroit, and yeah he was defiant and a troublemaker. But. Fisher will give him a shot, tell him what's up, and then pass him off to Sherman. You know Sherman, right? The only guy who could appease Dez Bryant and get him to play ball?

Sherman was tight with Bryant, allowing him to vent on the sidelines. He also instituted something called “Keepin’ It Real Thursdays” to allow receivers to blow off steam. Miles Austin lamented Sherman’s departure in a PFT Live appearance at the Super Bowl. The Cowboys have hired Jimmy Robinson as wide receivers coach in the meantime. Perhaps Garrett felt Sherman let the receivers get away with too much — just think of the Terrell Owens era in Dallas. Still, it could be even more challenging to manage Bryant without Sherman there.

You know, when the team is actually allowed to speak to Bryant again.

<a class="postlink" href="http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/30/ray-shermans-close-bond-with-dez-bryant-may-have-led-to-departure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... departure/</a>

Roll with it, homies. Everyone gets a fresh start. This is a very low risk/potential high reward move, and we all know that Bradford needs him some weapons. There is no down side. If he doesn't work out, you cut him and let him slalom down the waiver wire again. Meh. But if he works out, and he feels appreciated and valuable, then it'll pay off. Maybe even pay off big.

I have no idea what went on in Detroit, but I do wonder if part of the issue was Scott Linehan, for I recall when Scott was here as HC that he seemed to have an issue maintaining his leadership.... and didn't some of our players at the time revolt.

Whatever it is/was, I'm expecting that Fish will either nip-it-in-the-bud or not tolerate it. Either way, I don't see his signing as becoming a negative influence on our team.

I don't know if it was Linehan, but Detriot is the new Cincinnatti as far as I am concerned. They lead the NFL in stupid things done by players now don't they?

It could have been part of the culture. Schwartz likes an edge but if you cannot control the edginess then you end up with a little chaos in the mix.

I'm cool with it. It doesn't hurt to bring him in and doing it early will let them see if he is a eff up or has reformed and they can cut him anytime before the season and they don't lose a dime.

Zero risk potential huge reward. Plus they HAD to make a move before the other teams start raiding the roster of all our WR talent!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
LesBaker said:
Zero risk potential huge reward. Plus they HAD to make a move before the other teams start raiding the roster of all our WR talent!!!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyeZZtmZnSk[/youtube]

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
This is the reason the Rams hired Jeff Fisher he's able to handle these types and if Young acts up..He'll be released. At this point he's better than Steve Smith and he can hang around his good friend Austin Pettis and maybe he'll make Pettis faster.

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
From a short term perspective I like this move a lot. Young is only due $800,000 this year and he's an instant upgrade over every Ram WR not named Amendola, ( and he's not under contract.) If the Rams get one year out of this guy then they made out like bandits.

I do have worries about this guy on a long term scale. He exhibits personality traits with someone who truly has a mental illness.

I guess will have to see how this saga plays out, but the Rams just got a whole lot better at WR.