Rams Begin OTAs on Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I would feel a lot more comfortable with Saffold at ROG and Brown at LOG! Saffold, I believe, is better on the right, and I don't care for the idea of STARTING two rookies on the right! But IDK which side Brown would be better on!!

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I certainly hope you're right. And I hope he's shown the coaches enough that they have confidence in him to take the Centers job and run with it. However they were confident enough in him to do this to not tender him as a restricted free agent. They then let him go out and make visits with other teams. And then when all was said and done signed him to only one year. Non tendering a RFA and only signing him then to one year doesn't scream to me that they have confidence in Barnes. If they were so sure of him he would have been tendered and signed to multi years. Again I hope you're right but none of this to me says confidence.
The non-tender issue has been beaten to death in here. It was solely a financial decision, and they were never in any real risk of losing him to another organization. Barnes took ONE visit, which just happened to be to his hometown team. Never got to the point of any serious consideration. And the Rams were kept abreast of everything he was doing from the beginning of the off season right up til they re-signed him.

I think fans in general read WAY TOO MUCH into these types of transactions. Sometimes, there justaren't all the underlying issues that we tend to want to think there are. It's not all that uncommon to bring players back on one year deals. Especially when future years can have negative impact on cap numbers down the road. If Barnes plays well, they will lock him up. Same as with any of the others who are in a similar situation.

Last edited:

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
tempRamsOTA060215_040--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_048--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_062--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_121--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_123--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_129--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_134--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_146--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_148--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg
tempRamsOTA060215_132--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree with anything you said there really. I just don't see where Fisher has shown confidence in any of the three centers in three roster.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
What did you think of Rhaney when you saw him last year? Do you think he might eventually be a good option for our rushing attack?
Honestly, he looked athletic but undersized to be a real consideration. It's my understanding that they like his upside, but like most young players, he needs another year in the weight room to get physically stronger.

The other thing that most people overlook, Rhaney has not played the Center position all that much. He was more of a Guard, with only a year (11 games) under his belt at Center. Also, he played 22 games at Tennesse State after coming from a JUCO.

IMO, he may be in the mix a year from now, but not a serious contender for 2015.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't disagree with anything you said there really. I just don't see where Fisher has shown confidence in any of the three centers in three roster.
Again, there's a huge difference in being injured, and them not "showing confidence" in them.

To me, they showed the ultimate confidence in bringing them back, and NOT looking outside the organization in finding their replacement.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So the fact that he was hurt throughout most of the season is irrelevant to you?

It had absolutely nothing to do with not being able to "beat out Wells".

Jones gets a pass in the same thing because he was injured. But Barnes "wasn't good enough"?

The thing that stands out to me. Tim Barnes is the one who took virtually all of the reps throughout training camp last year at a center when Wells was recovering from his illness. And that was prior to Jones going down with his back injury.

Wells played because he was the only "heathy" option at the position. And that was while he was undersized and not close to being 100% himself.

Just because people don't know much about Barnes, IMO is the biggest reason they discount his ability. There must be a reason why this staff has had him on the roster all fours years they have been here.

But because Barrett Jines was some whiz kid boy wonder coming out of Alabama everyone assumes he is the better player. When in fact the only thing he has done this far in his career is collect a paycheck while standing in street clothes in the sideline.
Coach, when Barnes did come back, why wasn't he able to supplant Wells - who was not very effective at C?

Leuzer

Daniel Leu
Screenshot_2015-06-03-09-29-31.png
Screenshot_2015-06-03-09-27-26.png

I screenshot these photos from Snapchat with my phone since I don't think you can save the videos. Hope the quality is okay!

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I certainly hope you're right. And I hope he's shown the coaches enough that they have confidence in him to take the Centers job and run with it. However they were confident enough in him to do this to not tender him as a restricted free agent. They then let him go out and make visits with other teams. And then when all was said and done signed him to only one year. Non tendering a RFA and only signing him then to one year doesn't scream to me that they have confidence in Barnes. If they were so sure of him he would have been tendered and signed to multi years. Again I hope you're right but none of this to me says confidence.
That "actions speak louder than words" thing again.

Fisher is a tough read (by design, I'm sure). So I don't put a lot of weight into what he says. I do, however, look at what he does and that says more to me what he is thinking than anything.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That "actions speak louder than words" thing again.

Fisher is a tough read (by design, I'm sure). So I don't put a lot of weight into what he says. I do, however, look at what he does and that says more to me what he is thinking than anything.

What he did with Barnes to me says more hesitant than confident. Just my opinion but if he was confident in Barnes he would have signed him to more than a one year prove it deal. They had total control with Barnes and let him test free agency. If you're confident in the guy and know he's your guy at center you lock him up.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Isn't that the point of a message board? To converse about "why fans say this or think that"? I have a different opinion, because I think Tim Barnes is being slighted by the majority of that fan base. So, me choosing to share that opinion somehow should be muted?

I also "get" the part about wishing for Jones to succeed. But I disagree with your take that is somehow NOT a knock on Barnes. Members of this forum have wanted to discard better players than Jones for the very reason he hasn't been on the field. Denario Alexander, , and dare I say it, Sam Bradford are prime examples of guys who at one time or another have been lambasted for thier failure to stay healthy. But it seems as if Barrett Jones is somehow immune to that same line of thinking.

I don't mean to make this into a bash Barrett, as much as I think Tim Barnes does indeed get slighted in many fans eyes, because they don't know much about him. And the only thing I would ask about that, is who's "fault" is that? He has been a member of this team going on his 4th year, and has been on the field a whole lot more than Jones in the past 2 seasons.
Opinions are fine but I take comments like this as an afront:
"But because Barrett Jines [sic] was some whiz kid boy wonder coming out of Alabama everyone assumes he is the better player."

Who's "everyone"? And you know "everyone" thinks of him as a "whiz kid"?

You like Barnes... I can clearly see that. But that doesn't make fans who like Jones any less entitled to their opinions and they don't deserve to have their opinions reduced by calling Jones a "whiz kid wonder boy from Alabama".

C'mon Coach.. it's day one of OTAs... I hope this debate doesn't escalate too much... each to his/her own opinion, right?

BTW, I am not married to any of the three players vying for a starting job at that position.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach, when Barnes did come back, why wasn't he able to supplant Wells - who was not very effective at C?
Barnes dealt with a pinched nerve in his neck. A shoulder injury and later pretty badly bruised ribs (caused him to miss almost a month). He was never fully healthy.

And another little known fact. Wells had incentives based on playing time. Even though that should not matter. But apparently he refused to come out even at less than 100% with his elbow issues.

People seem to think it was as simple as any of these guys just being a better option. And since they couldn't supplant Wells they must suck.

Both Barnes and Jones were viable options at Guard too. So if neither was healthy enough to play ahead of Joseph, shouldn't that tell you that neither were healthy enough to step in full time for either position?

I've said all I am gonna say about this. Nothing more to add. I feel Barnes is the better choice. Others disagree and seem intent on questioning my opinion. That's fine. But it's just taking up space on here at this point rehashing the same stuff.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Opinions are fine but I take comments like this as an afront:
"But because Barrett Jines [sic] was some whiz kid boy wonder coming out of Alabama everyone assumes he is the better player."

Who's "everyone"? And you know "everyone" thinks of him as a "whiz kid"?

You like Barnes... I can clearly see that. But that doesn't make fans who like Jones any less entitled to their opinions and they don't deserve to have their opinions reduced by calling Jones a "whiz kid wonder boy from Alabama".

C'mon Coach.. it's day one of OTAs... I hope this debate doesn't escalate too much... each to his/her own opinion, right?

BTW, I am not married to any of the three players vying for a starting job at that position.
So I am guilty of a little hyperbole to make a point. Not the first to resort to it. And won't be the last.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
SO...... We have three guys vying for the starting Center, none of which can stay healthy? Nice. The minute Barnes was resigned I thought he may be the starter to begin the season fully expecting Jones to finally get on the field and take over as the season began. But it seems Jones may never do that. Rhaney was a long shot from day one and I don't think that has changed. I'm thinking that is why Wang was brought in to see if he could develop into the guy they are looking for to start. I think Barnes is a pretty solid OL. He may be just a stopgap for the Rams at Center or maybe he may surprise and become a solid starter there. I'm hoping for the latter. Just feed them red meat and keep them in a small cage until pre-season starts. Let's see which one comes out ripping limbs off opponents!!!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Some thoughts here.....

I would have to root for Tim Barnes here...being a UDFA & Ram before Fisher arrived! Times of being released then resigned then placed on PS then signed to master roster then getting regular season action then starts & finishes @ starting center....all a battle against the odds & progressing step with hard fought step after another! Nothing I mean nothing given ALL EARNED! ( That statement just is ....I know so old fashion, out of date, has no place in today's NFL, past gone days in the old America...today the entitled rule).

As for Barrett Jones...just because he does not start this season does not mean he has no value to Boudreau Versatility is desired by Boud & Barrett does have the ability to play all five OL positions in an emergency. That's a very good skills guys. Nothing wrong with earning his place as the next Mike Person main reliever is there?

Rodger Saffold our most experienced veteran & clear leader on our 2015 OL....on staying on the blind side @ OLG .....good decision...Boudreau uses his OLG as the big helper to the center. Saffold fill this role last season so its not new to him & Saffold is no dummy! We have a new center now in Barnes do you want a Barnes/Saffold duo on line calls or a Barnes/Rookie duo?

Lining up & starting Rob Havenstein/Jamon Brown Right side duo fits nicely with what those two OL posts demand. Its a perfect match with their talent married to the demands of that post.

On having four young OL'ers fighting it our for center action Barnes/Jones/Rhaney & Wang not a bad thing!

This starting Ram five Ol'ers averages out to 6-5 325 pounds

Last edited: