Rams Begin OTAs on Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Yes! The Barnes vs Jones war!
I was waiting for this to start!

Photo-300-Spartan-Warriors-800x333.jpg
AND THEN THERE'S THE WANG PARTY COMING IN FROM THE REAR.

Two_Albanian_soldiers.JPEG

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
There's a difference in not tendering Barnes and "letting him walk". They stayed in constant contact with him, it was all about not wanting to be tied to the tender figure. There was really no time that they were in any danger of losing him. He wanted to stay a Ram. They made it known from the start they wanted him back.

As far as Barnes being in the weight room, there is no reason to think otherwise. He came to camp last year 15 lbs heavier and much bigger/stronger than in 2013.

I should let it go coach, but as seen with Barksdale and all we as just fans do not know but make obvious suppositions like not wanting to be tied to a very,very small tender figure when he may be your starter and Wells needed a truck to get his check home. Too many things even with a hand shake deal is in place can happen when only 32 centers start in this league. Barnes may have wanted to be and stay a RAM but NO ONE here can know that personal fact. It'd be only a guess and very personal info as 31 other teams could snatch this guy up on the VERY CHEAP when we did'nt even give the lowest tender.

We have made it known to other players we wanted them back and never saw them again. I know those facts would go back over decades but everything has a senerio where we have lost out. I know you know the math coach but the lowest tender offer should have been made as we have the money and if he was coming back why take any risk when we as a team at the OL position are freaking close to desperate if the injuries bite us yet again. It just does'nt make a lick of sense to me. We saved a few bucks at a VERY high risk if others knew he could have been had for a steal. Hope he is everything and a bag o' doughnuts. SMH...I just want protection for Foles is all.

Alan

Legend
I've never been high on Jones (I'm only surprised when 4th round and lower picks DO start) so Barnes starting out at C ahead of him comes as no surprise to me. Having said that, I'm a little confused about where the Rams are planning to use Jones. I know that many professionals (see Wagoner and JT to name just two) who look at the Rams think Jones is not only in the mix to start at C, it's his job to lose. Has anyone heard any of the Rams FO say that? I thought that all indications were that Jones is being thought of as a G. Isn't that where he was playing last year in TC before his injury?

Jones doesn't make anyone think "road grader" when they hear his name so maybe that thinking has changed now that our offensive philosophy has settled (for now) on a power running scheme. But, other than the thought that he's the smartest O-line guy on the roster I'm not sure why many think he's in line to be our new C.

Has anyone heard anybody who actually knows the real poop about him say he's even being considered at that position? Other than as a possible back up of course.

Last edited:

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I should let it go coach, but as seen with Barksdale and all we as just fans do not know but make obvious suppositions like not wanting to be tied to a very,very small tender figure when he may be your starter and Wells needed a truck to get his check home. Too many things even with a hand shake deal is in place can happen when only 32 centers start in this league. Barnes may have wanted to be and stay a RAM but NO ONE here can know that personal fact. It'd be only a guess and very personal info as 31 other teams could snatch this guy up on the VERY CHEAP when we did'nt even give the lowest tender.

We have made it known to other players we wanted them back and never saw them again. I know those facts would go back over decades but everything has a senerio where we have lost out. I know you know the math coach but the lowest tender offer should have been made as we have the money and if he was coming back why take any risk when we as a team at the OL position are freaking close to desperate if the injuries bite us yet again. It just does'nt make a lick of sense to me. We saved a few bucks at a VERY high risk if others knew he could have been had for a steal. Hope he is everything and a bag o' doughnuts. SMH...I just want protection for Foles is all.
You can believe what you want to believe in terms of my previous comments on this situation. I have an impeccable source regarding this, so I have absolutely 1000% confidence in saying they knew what they were doing.

Regardless, your point is valid. But just not in THIS instance. Barnes took ONE visit, and that was to his HOMETOWN team. In fact he was in the midst of taking an initial physical for the Chiefs when his agent called to let him know they reached an agreement on the $$$ with the Rams. Because his choice was to remain a STL RAM.

As far as his status as the starter, IMO, its his job to lose at this point. I will concede that it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I've never been high on Jones (I'm only surprised when 4th round and lower picks DO start) so Barnes starting out at C ahead of him comes as no surprise to me. Having said that, I'm a little confused about where the Rams are planning to use Jones. I know that many professionals (see Wagoner and JT to name just two) who look at the Rams think Jones is not only in the mix to start at C, it's his job to lose. Has anyone heard any of the Rams FO say that? I thought that all indications were that Jones is being thought of as a G. Isn't that where he was playing last year in TC before his injury?

Jones doesn't make anyone think "road grader" when they hear his name so maybe that thinking has changed now that our offensive philosophy has settled (for now) on a power running scheme. But, other than the thought that he's the smartest O-line guy on the roster I'm not sure why many think he's in line to be our new C.

Has anyone heard anybody who actually knows the real poop about him say he's even being considered at that position? Other than as a possible back up of course.

Alan, its too simple I've not heard ANYBODY who actually KNOWS the REAL POOP about anything! Fisher toys with all the clowns you loosely call professionals. Most have agenda's like Bernie and some are just Butt hurt still like J.T. for missing ALL the scoops and feeling lied to. LMAO...Its really a circus and NO ONE truly knows anything till we get TRAINED eyes like Coach and others on site with the pads on PERIOD. Patiently waiting. Glad to hear Fisher say he plans on getting Gurley in the mix early this season. Even when its from his own mouth I have to see it first.:cautious:

Alan

Legend
GabesHorn seeing the lesser of two evils:
Sorry Fro you'll have to get used to our two best side by side protecting all the weapons a "D" can throw at a QB's BACKSIDE, G. Rob also needs all the stability in his first full season and such SUPER HIGH expectations to live up too. I can live with two big MOOSE' that have had long runs at their respective teams and they will get TE help I'm sure. Its always gonna boil down to who starts at center for me. I want to clone an old RAMS center from the past and lets be done with it. We had so many awesome solid studs ALWAYS at our pivot. Now we can't buy someone.

Make us some freakin holes guys and we have guys that get to the second level and so glad we did'nt resign Barksdale. Lets ride this thing men. At least we got some big ass men to start with. Not gonna be happy till B. Jones wins that damn center spot and never gives it up for 5-6 years damn it. Its time and tell your back issue to shut up and be gone. Pretend your back at Bama Barrett and you are the OL leader. Everyone just STEP UP!!!!!.
:LOL: Love your enthusiasm GH! (y)

I think you nailed it about Saffold being forced to play LG. I was afraid that would happen myself. :unsure:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
You can believe what you want to believe in terms of my previous comments on this situation. I have an impeccable source regarding this, so I have absolutely 1000% confidence in saying they knew what they were doing.

Regardless, your point is valid. But just not in THIS instance. Barnes took ONE visit, and that was to his HOMETOWN team. In fact he was in the midst of taking an initial physical for the Chiefs when his agent called to let him know they reached an agreement on the $$$ with the Rams. Because his choice was to remain a STL RAM.

As far as his status as the starter, IMO, its his job to lose at this point. I will concede that it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Well thank goodness for timely recieved phone calls as a desperate offer could have lost us our starter over chump change and he'd still be playing in the same state and the Chiefs are familiar with paying Top dollar for a starting center as they just lost the highest paid one in the league to a western rival overpaying none the less. We may have just lucked out basically. SMH! No player loves their team that much when money talks. Bullet dodged at the very least as the kid was looking you have to admit. Hand shake wink wink deal or not. We low balled our next starter and won. Must have stayed at a Holiday Inn or something...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The whole gallery on the Rams site from todays OTA.

[LINK]

Last edited by a moderator:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I would rather have Saffold at RG where he played much better. I don't want to play two rookies side by side. I would want to break it up a bit.

Well, Robinson somewhat of a rookie too and in essence Brown & Havenstein had far more starts at the collegiate level. Saffold IMO unless a veteran is added will stay next to GROB to protect the blind side and I'm confident in Brown & Havenstein and I'm pleased it has started out that way.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
It's definitely Barnes' job to lose. I think Jones may beat him out if he stays healthy, but that's a big if. We'll see how it goes. I like Jones's intelligence and upside but he's fragile and unreliable.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Sorry. But at this point he is and it's not really close.

I get that people want Jones to live up to the college days. But those days are long gone I'm afraid. People continually sell Barnes short. But based on everything I have seen and heard, he's just better.

That's good enough for me @CoachO

Alan

Legend
GabesHorn seeing through a glass darkly:
Alan, its too simple I've not heard ANYBODY who actually KNOWS the REAL POOP about anything! Fisher toys with all the clowns you loosely call professionals. Most have agenda's like Bernie and some are just Butt hurt still like J.T. for missing ALL the scoops and feeling lied to. LMAO...Its really a circus and NO ONE truly knows anything till we get TRAINED eyes like Coach and others on site with the pads on PERIOD. Patiently waiting. Glad to hear Fisher say he plans on getting Gurley in the mix early this season. Even when its from his own mouth I have to see it first.:cautious:
I think you're being a little too hard on both Fisher and the writers but I feel your pain. :LOL:

Fisher has told us that kind of information many times before. That's how we know they don't see Joyner as a S. Like anything else though, that's subject to change.

As for the writers, they might just be giving their best educated guesses. I see nothing wrong in them doing that. I haven't heard any of them attribute their thoughts on Jones playing center to something they were told by Fisher. I could very easily be mistaken about that though. That's why I was wondering if anyone had heard anything direct from the horse's mouth because I thought they were looking at him as a guard.

FRO

Legend
I bet you see Jones or Rhaney in at C with the first team next practice. I would imagine they have an open competition between the three of them. Barnes has the most experience so he gets the first crack. That seems to be how they do things. This is do or die for Jones. It's his third year, time to step it up.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Yeah, this phot really has me jacked. And I don't even know why :)

Maybe I have a man crush.

Or maybe just looking for good quarterback play? However, I concur with the man crush because he's a sight for sore eyes!;)