Rams Begin OTAs on Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I get it, but I do want the best player to win the job. The center position is going to be fun to watch because you would have three great stories. Barnes the guy who would not go away and improved himself every year. Everybody's all american in Jones and the guy that was picked after Michael Sam and nobody knows that well in Demetrius Rhaney.

Let the camp battles begin and are you posting that you had Jamon Brown going to the Rams in your mock? If so, WTG...I knew they liked him, but I did not see them taking him over some others.

I had him lower down the draft, but from what I saw I thought he would be a good backup OT and potential LG next to GRob - I saw this massive wall of meat on the left of the line

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I respectfully disagree that the Center position will be the weak spot on this unit. And I will be shocked to see another "rookie" get the nod at the starting job. Rhaney is a longshot to start.

That Barnes and Jones haven't shown "us" anything is of little consequence to me. They have both been here long enough to have shown the coaching staff enough, obviously to feel confident enough to NOT go outside the organization for their replacement. Jones has only shown that he cannot stay on the field. Barnes has shown that he understands what it takes to be an NFL lineman. IMO, he is the protoype of the guy who has developed into a NFL caliber starter.

IF the Centre position was going to be a weak point I think Snead and Fisher would have done something about it already, they knew what they had and I think they're very happy with the guys - I'm loving that we have the competition at the position - as I mentioned earlier I'm rooting for Jones, but I agree @CoachO Barnes is the type of guy who can be around for a long time - and I think the coaches like him and his versatility.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I had him lower down the draft, but from what I saw I thought he would be a good backup OT and potential LG next to GRob - I saw this massive wall of meat on the left of the line

Good call although IMO they will keep him on the right side because I believe they want Saffold next to GROB.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Good call although IMO they will keep him on the right side because I believe they want Saffold next to GROB.

Yep I think you're right there, I guess it all boils down to who works best together, I know they feel that Saffold on the left will 'help' Robinson in his development as our LT - lets hope he stays injury free this year ;)

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yep I think you're right there, I guess it all boils down to who works best together, I know they feel that Saffold on the left will 'help' Robinson in his development as our LT - lets hope he stays injury free this year ;)
Funny how many here, including me, envisioned Saffold at RG to help a rookie or Barksdale out there but the coaches must see a bigger need to help GR out on the left side. Interesting how little we know.:confused:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
GRob and Saffold could be another lethal left side combo much like the Seachickens old combo of Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Funny how many here, including me, envisioned Saffold at RG to help a rookie or Barksdale out there but the coaches must see a bigger need to help GR out on the left side. Interesting how little we know.:confused:

I've always thought Saffold seemed to stay healthier on the right too, but that may just be me being blinkered :cool:

From what I've read Havenstein and Brown have played more snaps than GRob, so they're less 'Raw' - I think if they're good enough AND they pick up the playbook quickly, they don't need a vet to show them the ropes, I'm just loving the fact that we seem to have a good group of big, fresh-legged, o-linemen for once, I know they haven't played together yet - but I'm not afraid to say that I'm excited already...

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I've always thought Saffold seemed to stay healthier on the right too, but that may just be me being blinkered :cool:

From what I've read Havenstein and Brown have played more snaps than GRob, so they're less 'Raw' - I think if they're good enough AND they pick up the playbook quickly, they don't need a vet to show them the ropes, I'm just loving the fact that we seem to have a good group of big, fresh-legged, o-linemen for once, I know they haven't played together yet - but I'm not afraid to say that I'm excited already...

That's funny cus I too felt that Saffold had some sort of curse on him that only applied when playing on the left side of the line. Maybe he was so fragile as a LT that when he moved to RG and stayed healthy, the misconception was born.

jap

Legend
Beetlejuice versus The Incredible Brock? Now that's a veritable Clash of the Titans!!!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That's funny cus I too felt that Saffold had some sort of curse on him that only applied when playing on the left side of the line. Maybe he was so fragile as a LT that when he moved to RG and stayed healthy, the misconception was born.

you may well have hit the proverbial nail on the head there ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
IF the Centre position was going to be a weak point I think Snead and Fisher would have done something about it already, they knew what they had and I think they're very happy with the guys - I'm loving that we have the competition at the position - as I mentioned earlier I'm rooting for Jones, but I agree @CoachO Barnes is the type of guy who can be around for a long time - and I think the coaches like him and his versatility.

Fact is Tim Barnes has been around for a long time! Tim dates back pre Fisher/Snead. So he has been stewed for many years now. Boudreau has had him up close to him since his arrival. Boudreau has suited him up 45 times to assist him with is game day OL units. Tim is seen on many of the special teams units too not just FG's & Extra points. You will see him on the kickoff & punt ST units too.

If I can recall this right in my old mind........Last season in TC & pre season Tim he was forced to play through nagging upper shoulder/neck issues while other centers Wells/Jones & Rhaney had their health issues too. During TC & most of pre season Tim was the Rams starting center. Wells came back & Tim was no longer the starter. When the season began, Tim was the 6th OL'er along with Greg both were the main game day reserves. His main game day reserve bud Greg got to start on 10/13/14. Forcing Davin Joseph to the bench. During this same game Tim was injured playing ST's (shoulder issue). That's when Mike Person stepped up & saw a ton of action in Tim's place. Tim missed just two games & was once again back on the field on game day & played in 14 games in 2014.

I have no special incite as to what went down in discussions between the Ram Org. & Tim but he was a RFA then the Rams didn't tender Barnes an offer. At this point most of ROD was of the opinion that the Org did not value Tim & that Tim was no longer included in the future Ram plans thus history. Then the center post became a main topic here during the UFA period. ROD was actively looking for a high priced new center to go with back ups Barrett & Demetruis along with the drafting of a new center. Tim was written off my most all here @ ROD.However the Org. on 3/30/2014 signed Tim who signed a 1 year, $710,017 contract.

Now after his long uphill climb as a UDFA in 2011 Tim has a very good chance to be a starting NFL center. With a new QB a later a new RB to go with many new OL'ers he will assist Boudreau on a HD plan to make this almost all new OL one of the youngest & best run blocking OL's in the NFL. You know that Tim has to be very excited about this opportunity. I am so happy for him.

Tim has a chance to be a major important part of the new Ram OL. Tim will get a chance to prove his worth to this team and in March of 2016 he will be a UFA.

Last edited:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

That's crucial and hopefully after his surgery things will be okay because IMO Saffold is the linchpin to the offensive line in 2015.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That's crucial and hopefully after his surgery things will be okay because IMO Saffold is the linchpin to the offensive line in 2015.
I have to agree with you there, he's a bit like Jake Long on the d-line for me, the d-line just doesn't fire properly without him, so hopefully he sees action through the season, and of course post-season ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I have been through some hard times with Rodger thru the yrs. His injuries have certainly robbed him of any chance of stardom in the NFL thus far. If he can finally get himself healthy & some distance from all these past issues he can be one of the best OG's in the NFL...of course that just my opinion.

With Rodger you will never have to worry about him not keeping himself in shape his conditioning....he is even when idling..... in full ready when healthy. He is always sharp & is football smart. Yes, den he is our leader in this very young OL & he is an excellent one to lead!(y)

I would finally add here that Fisher could keep Rodger out of the lineup let him get that reconstructed left shoulder fully healed & then let the OL'ers fight it out through-out TC & most of pre season then after that line up settles down & you have your five best starters identified you could then remove the weakest of the five & then insert Rodger & your ready to plow under some defenders. Rodger is that versatile!:D