Rams Begin OTAs on Tuesday

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Myles SimmonsRams Insider
@MylesASimmons
http://www.chatsports.com/st-louis-rams/a/Rams-Begin-OTAs-on-Tuesday-1-11480036

The third phase of the Rams’ offseason program begins this week with three of the team’s 10 allotted organized team activities. As the team hits the field, here are a few storylines to keep in mind for the next few weeks.

What does the offense look like?

With a new coordinator in Frank Cignetti, a new starting quarterback in Nick Foles, and first-round pickTodd Gurley in tow, the offense is bound to change somewhat when the Rams take the field against Seattle on Sept. 13.

But given that it’s only the first week of June, it’s unlikely that the team will reveal any of that strategy publicly. Still, it’s already clear from the offseason moves that there will probably be a heavy emphasis on the run. Drafting Gurley at No. 10 and subsequently selecting four road-grading offensive linemen is a good indication.

Head coach Jeff Fisher said during the offseason that bringing back unrestricted free agents wide receiverKenny Britt and tight endLance Kendricks was of particular importance in the offense’s evolution. Plus, Fisher has said plenty of times that one of the unit’s goals moving forward will be to utilize wide receiver Tavon Austin in space more often.

So there may be hints dropped here and there over the next few weeks and months, but the true substance of the offense won’t be known for a good while.

Can the defense take the next step in becoming elite?

Last year, the Rams posted the NFL’s first consecutive shutouts since the Cowboys did it in 2009, fully displaying the unit’s potential. With the same defensive coordinator and much of the same personnel heading into 2015, the defense’s next goal will be to maintain a level of consistency.

Having defensive coordinator Gregg Williams back for his second season will be a significant boon in that process. It’s important for any team to have continuity not only with its players, but also with its leadership. After four defensive coordinators in four years dating back to the previous coaching regime, the Rams having the same DC will eliminate the “getting to know you” phase that happens in the season’s first few weeks. That process manifested itself last year, in that after surrendering 30 points per game over their first seven contests, the Rams allowed just 16 points per game over the season’s final nine weeks.

That’s why it stands to reason St. Louis should have a much better chance at getting off to a fast start defensively.

Who’s going to start on the offensive line?

This is another question that likely won’t be answered for a while, but it will be interesting to see who starts to emerge. The Rams heavily invested in their offensive line during the draft, selecting four men --Rob Havenstein, Jamon Brown, Andrew Donnal, and Cody Wichmann -- who are each at least 6-foot-3 and 315 pounds. The team also brought in undrafted free agent Darrell Williams, who played left tackle at USF, signed unrestricted free agent Garrett Reynolds, and re-signed free agent Tim Barnes.

Currently the team has only two of its full-time starters from 2015 on the roster:Rodger Saffold and Greg Robinson. Barring any other roster moves, that means there are presumably three spots open to be claimed.

General manager Les Snead declared after selecting Havenstein that the Wisconsin product is “ready to play,” which would presumably put him in the mix for the right tackle spot. Fisher said that Brown best projects at guard in the pros, and he could be a candidate to start early as well.

But at center, don’t forget about Barrett Jones and Demetrius Rhaney. Having battled injuries for his first few seasons, Jones played in a reserve role last year, appearing in six games, mainly on special teams. A seventh-round pick in the 2014 Draft, Rhaney injured his knee prior to the start of the regular season and spend the rest of the year on IR.

How will the D-line play those five first-round picks?

The Rams’ defensive line already had four first-round picks starting on the unit with Chris Long,Robert Quinn Michael Brockers, and 2014 Defensive Rookie of the Year Aaron Donald. The addition of free agent Nick Fairley

gives defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and D-line coach Mike Waufle an even more talented group to work with. And don’t forget about William Hayes,Eugene Sims, andEthan Westbrooks, each of whom contributed to the line’s efforts last year.

We already know that Williams and Waufle like to rotate their defensive linemen, which keeps the players fresh and able to make an impact at all times. That’s likely what will continue to happen this year. The addition of Fairley just gives the Rams another talented option to not only take up double teams in defending the run, but also provides a strong pass-rushing element up the middle. In his four seasons, Fairley tallied 13.5 sacks and five forced fumbles with the Lions.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I was most excited to see who got the first looks at center and we have our answer.

Will be interesting to see how much they swap guys in and out on the 1s or do they try to go with continutity?

FRO

Legend
I would rather have Saffold at RG where he played much better. I don't want to play two rookies side by side. I would want to break it up a bit.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
I would rather have Saffold at RG where he played much better. I don't want to play two rookies side by side. I would want to break it up a bit.

Sorry Fro you'll have to get used to our two best side by side protecting all the weapons a "D" can throw at a QB's BACKSIDE, G. Rob also needs all the stability in his first full season and such SUPER HIGH expectations to live up too. I can live with two big MOOSE' that have had long runs at their respective teams and they will get TE help I'm sure. Its always gonna boil down to who starts at center for me. I want to clone an old RAMS center from the past and lets be done with it. We had so many awesome solid studs ALWAYS at our pivot. Now we can't buy someone.

Make us some freakin holes guys and we have guys that get to the second level and so glad we did'nt resign Barksdale. Lets ride this thing men. At least we got some big ass men to start with. Not gonna be happy till B. Jones wins that damn center spot and never gives it up for 5-6 years damn it. Its time and tell your back issue to shut up and be gone. Pretend your back at Bama Barrett and you are the OL leader. Everyone just STEP UP!!!!!.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The Rams site has the pressers where Brown declares himself a right guard...So he's there for a reason...and a plan....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
So @-X- , or should I say Ollie Reeb? Not worried about the policy:

Use of cell phones for any reason is prohibited while at practice. Reporters may not tweet from practice, and media members may not at any point report details on personnel groups, formations, specific plays, or any information that would compromise the team’s strategic efforts. The Rams have a zero tolerance policy regarding the dissemination of strategic information gathered from practice.
ahahahahahahahhahahahah!

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach I need a "SPOILER ALERT" before you do that.;)
Sorry. But at this point he is and it's not really close.

I get that people want Jones to live up to the college days. But those days are long gone I'm afraid. People continually sell Barnes short. But based on everything I have seen and heard, he's just better.

Last edited:

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Sorry. But at this point he is and it's not really close.

I get that people want Jones to live up to the college days. But those days are long gone in afraid. People continually sell Barnes short. But based on everything I have seen and heard, he's just better.

Coach its the seen part that only matters with me. Your highly respected and until your eyes have SEEN all our guys fighting for this years starter spot at pivot I can wait. I'm a multiple back surgery patient and know what just one surgery meant to help can make things even worse. Feel bad that Barrett could'nt get his dream in the pros. Just shaking my head we just let Barnes walk , and he could start for us now.

I know nothing is set in stone till pads are on and some time goes by. So just let me dream coach. I'll dream Barnes has busted his ass in the weightroom and is better than we've ever seen before. High hopes.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Which makes Jones all the more disappointing.

Yes and no.

Yes because we all have expectations from his college days.

No because it's day one of OTAs.

I happen to think Barnes is a legit threat to start... So Jones has his work cut out.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Coach its the seen part that only matters with me. Your highly respected and until your eyes have SEEN all our guys fighting for this years starter spot at pivot I can wait. I'm a multiple back surgery patient and know what just one surgery meant to help can make things even worse. Feel bad that Barrett could'nt get his dream in the pros. Just shaking my head we just let Barnes walk , and he could start for us now.

I know nothing is set in stone till pads are on and some time goes by. So just let me dream coach. I'll dream Barnes has busted his ass in the weightroom and is better than we've ever seen before. High hopes.
There's a difference in not tendering Barnes and "letting him walk". They stayed in constant contact with him, it was all about not wanting to be tied to the tender figure. There was really no time that they were in any danger of losing him. He wanted to stay a Ram. They made it known from the start they wanted him back.

As far as Barnes being in the weight room, there is no reason to think otherwise. He came to camp last year 15 lbs heavier and much bigger/stronger than in 2013.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes! The Barnes vs Jones war!
I was waiting for this to start!

Photo-300-Spartan-Warriors-800x333.jpg