Rams Backup QB Situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
We can go back to Jared Goff trade.

Saw Case Keenum Bills & Colts Foles started the preseason against each other.

To think in 2018 Goff made the playoffs,Keenum made it to the NFC Championship & Foles became MVP to win The SuperBowl.

I’d say the trade for Jared Goff is questionable,only because of draft picks lost & salary cap value.

If Snisher didn’t screw up on the Robinson draft The Rams would have went to multiple playoffs.

Tano

Legend
Yes, the guy with a 50 QB rating in the actual games he's played in. Let's bubble wrap him in the pre-season because he's SOOOOO valuable. I'd say he needs to play in the next preseason game and actually do something.
Last season he was out all preseason with appendicitis and showed his rustiness in the regular season.

However, I do agree that Wolford should play a couple series in the preseason just to get rid of any gameday rustiness he is sure to have.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Last season he was out all preseason with appendicitis and showed his rustiness in the regular season.

However, I do agree that Wolford should play a couple series in the preseason just to get rid of any gameday rustiness he is sure to have.

I've never seen anything but "rustiness" from him. The guy just doesn't have it, IMO.

WestCoastRam

Legend
There's two more preseason games left and Perkins is going to get most of those reps. Also last preseason his best game was vs Staley's defense, but after that he wasn't quite as good. So still plenty of time for the team to look at him in very valuable game conditions.
Totally. Plenty of games and TC left. This is true for Perkins and others. I think there's a couple reasonable thoughts that can gleaned from this first game but there's still an outside chance that people who looked meh can quickly put things together or people who looked good to fall back to the mean.

That's the best part of the next few weeks, who takes steps forward, who takes steps back, who is what we just saw. The NFL is littered with players who can make splash plays. If we're looking to elevate guys to starters or important backups, what they need to do is show consistency or steady improvement above all else.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way our current roster is put together, we are counting on our first stringers to carry the load. We have some depth, don't get me wrong, but when you are paying as much as we are to a few people ... Stafford, Kupp, Robinson, Donald, Ramsey ... Your backups are often meant for short-term coverage, not long-term.

McVay and staff likely feel they can coach someone up for a game or two, aligning their gameplans to maximize their positive skills, but if any of those big five was out for a significant time we are going to be in trouble. And, well it's easy to say that all teams were like that, they actually aren't - especially at the QB position. Wolford and Perkins are a steeper drop from our number one guy than many (but granted, not all) other teams.

With all that said, I'm on board. I think that it is a little risky, but I also think that about how they play the draft. And I'm damned comfortable with how that had been turning out.

My simple statement earlier in this thread was that we were screwed if Stafford went down for a prolonged period of time. I still believe that to be the case, but I'll add a follow up statement: it's absolutely worth it. I trust in McSnead. Results buy freedom, and they have the results.

I still wish we had a better back up QB. But I also wish I was rich and had a ten-inch ... well ... Ultimately we'll take what we are given and run with it. They've earned our trust.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
One more point on Perkins..
Did you see anything this weekend you didn't see last preseason? Because I sure didn't. I saw no growth in the passing game. He was exciting as hell with his feet last year and exciting as hell this year. McCutcheon made the plays special, not Perkins.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Been to all the TC's starting with Fisher. Seen all the backup QB's. Wolford is better than Mannion, better than Bortles and it ain;t even close.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Looking at Backup Qbs across the league

Buffalo - Josh Allen down to Case Keenum (CFA) / Matt Barkley (4th)
New England - Mac Jones down to Brian Hoyer (CFA) / Bailey Zappe (4th)
Jets - Zach Wilson (MILF destroyer) down to Joe Flacco (1) / Mike White (5)
Miami - Tua down to Teddy Bridgewater (1) / Skylar Thompson (7)

Cleveland - Deshaun Molester down to Jacoby Brissett (3) / Josh Rosen (1)
Cincinnati - Joe Burrow down to Brandon Allen (6) / Jake Browning (CFA)
Baltimore - Lamar Jackson down to Tyler Huntley (CFA) / Brett Hundley (5)
Pittsburgh - Mitch Trubisky down to Kenny Pickett (1) / Mason Rudolph (3)

Tennessee - Ryan Tannehill down to Malik Willis (3) / Logan Woodside (7)
Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence down to CJ Beathard (3) / EJ Perry (CFA)
Houston - Davis Mills down to Kyle Allen (CFA) / Jeff Driskel (6)
Indianapolis - Matt Ryan down to Nick Foles (3) / Sam Ehlinger (6)

San Diego (always SD) - Justin Herbert down to Chase Daniel (CFA) / Easton Stick (5)
Denver - Russell Wilson down to Josh Johnson (5) / Brett Rypien (CFA)
Oakland - Derek Carr down to Jarrett Stidham (4) / Nick Mullens (CFA)
Kansas City - Pat Mahomes down to Chad Henne (2) / Shane Beuchele (CFA)

Dallas - Dak Prescott down to Cooper Rush (CFA) / Will Grier (3)
Philadelphia - Jalen Hurts down to Gardner Minshew (6) / Carson Strong (CFA)
Giants - Daniel Jones down to Tyrod Taylor (6) / Davis Webb (3)
Washington - Carson Wentz down to Taylor Heinicke (CFA) / Sam Howell (5)

Green Bay - Aaron Rodgers down to Jordan Love (1) / Danny Etling (7)
Detroit - Jared Goff down to Tim Boyle (CFA) / David Blough (CFA)
Chicago - Justin Fields down to Trevor Semian (7) / Nathan Peterman (5)
Minnesota - Kirk Cousins down to Sean Manning (3) / Kellon Mind (3)

Tampa Bay - Tom Brady down to Blaine Gabbert (1) / Kyle Trask (2)
New Orleans - Jameis Winston down to Andy Dalton (2) / Ian Book (4)
Atlanta - Marcus Mariota down to Desmond Ridder (3) / Feliepe Franks (CFA)
Carolina - Baker Mayfield down to Sam Darnold (1) / Matt Corral (3)

World Champs - Matthew Stafford down to John Wolford (CFA) / Bryce Perkins (CFA)
San Fran - Trey Lance down to Jimmy G (2) / Brock Purdy (7)
Seattle - Drew Lock (2) / Geno Smith (2) / Jacob Eason (4)
Arizona - Kyler Murray down to Colt McCoy (3) / Trace McSorley (6)

Ok now, three very similar, but slightly different questions:

1) Which teams do not have at least one backup better than both of ours? (Mine - Houston? Detroit?)
2) Which teams would look at our guys and take one for their backup? (Mine - Houston, Detroit & Atlanta)
3) Which teams would be in worse trouble than us if their starter went down for an extended period and they had to rely on their primary backup? (Mine - Buffalo, Cincinnati San Diego, Oakland, Kansas City, Dallas and Minnesota)

I'll let you all make up your own mind (of course), but my answers those three questions don't make me feel comfortable if we had to rely on our guys - even directly compared to the rest of the league.

Again though, before anyone calls me a hater, I STILL ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH MCSNEAD'S PHILOSOPHY HERE. They won, and will continue to win. They have spent the money in the right places. That just doesn't have to mean I love the backup QBs.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

San Diego (always SD) - Justin Herbert down to Chase Daniel (CFA) / Easton Stick (5)

World Champs - Matthew Stafford down to John Wolford (CFA) / Bryce Perkins (CFA)

1) Which teams do not have at least one backup better than both of ours? (Mine - Houston? Detroit?)
2) Which teams would look at our guys and take one for their backup? (Mine - Houston, Detroit & Atlanta)
3) Which teams would be in worse trouble than us if their starter went down for an extended period and they had to rely on their primary backup? (Mine - Buffalo, Cincinnati San Diego, Oakland, Kansas City, Dallas and Minnesota)

I'll let you all make up your own mind (of course), but my answers those three questions don't make me feel comfortable if we had to rely on our guys - even directly compared to the rest of the league.

Again though, before anyone calls me a hater, I STILL ABSOLUTELY AGREE WITH MCSNEAD'S PHILOSOPHY HERE. They won, and will continue to win. They have spent the money in the right places. That just doesn't have to mean I love the backup QBs.
I just strongly disagree with your assessment of where Wolford stands. He did have a bad performance last year with backups, but when he was with starters?

He was solid. If he had not gotten a cheap shot against Seattle, who knows what happens?

He's mobile, has a strong enough arm and knows the offense in and out. All reports from camp this season are that he's absolutely nailing it.

Not sure what more we want in a backup, at this point. I guess we cold have the Grizzled Old Vet? But I'll take Wolford over Flacco 8 days a week.

André

Always far too invested
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just strongly disagree with your assessment of where Wolford stands. He did have a bad performance last year with backups, but when he was with starters?

He was solid. If he had not gotten a cheap shot against Seattle, who knows what happens?

He's mobile, has a strong enough arm and knows the offense in and out. All reports from camp this season are that he's absolutely nailing it.

Not sure what more we want in a backup, at this point. I guess we cold have the Grizzled Old Vet? But I'll take Wolford over Flacco 8 days a week.
Fair enough for an opinion question. :)

BrooklynRam

Rookie

It's a loaded question Andre. The way our Roster is constructed we dont have Cap space to pay a backup what others can afford to. So our backup HAS TO BE someone making SMALL money like Wolford, instead of something a little larger like a Keenum or a Tyrod. Let alone a Darnold ( Whom I would love as a backup). Our philosophy is Big Time costly players, like Aaron Donald, Cooper Kupp, Jalen Ramsey, Leonard Floyd and of course not only our Quarterback makes big money but I believe we're still paying some of our PREVIOUS Quarterback's salary. So with this philosophy the only possible backup we COULD have is either a UDFA or a low round draft pick. Now, if Stafford (God forbid) WERE to go out for the Season, perhaps the Rams can acquire someone better than Wolford using their salary cap Magic. Something like that or even try to coax a Rivers type out of retirement.

Tano

Legend

Wolford never played with the back-ups last year and the games where he relieved Stafford when they had a lead .... well it wasn't pretty.

Wolford was never ready to play last year and I am glad that Stafford was able to play as much as he did.

Wolford was not a good player last year. Hopefully, with a full training camp, Wolford will be much more able to relieve Stafford if he needs a few plays off this year.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Wolford never played with the back-ups last year and the games where he relieved Stafford when they had a lead .... well it wasn't pretty.

Wolford was never ready to play last year and I am glad that Stafford was able to play as much as he did.

Wolford was not a good player last year. Hopefully, with a full training camp, Wolford will be much more able to relieve Stafford if he needs a few plays off this year.
He was

he was with backups against the Texans, for sure. Just double checked snap count.

In mop up duty with backups? I’m not gonna give more weight to that than how he performed in a critical regular season game.

Tano

Legend
He was

he was with backups against the Texans, for sure. Just double checked snap count.

In mop up duty with backups? I’m not gonna give more weight to that than how he performed in a critical regular season game.
He wasn't playing with the back-ups against the Giants. His two throws in that game were just horrible.

But again - I am saying it was rust.

I really would like him to play 2 series in the preseason just to get the rust out. Also would like to see Tutu play in those series - also to get some needed game time.

It's risky but I think the positives outweigh the risk.

Do not let Wolford run. Have him protected with 5 linemen a TE and RB if you have to. Just to see the field will be invaluable experience.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
He wasn't playing with the back-ups against the Giants. His two throws in that game were just horrible.

But again - I am saying it was rust.

I really would like him to play 2 series in the preseason just to get the rust out. Also would like to see Tutu play in those series - also to get some needed game time.

It's risky but I think the positives outweigh the risk.

Do not let Wolford run. Have him protected with 5 linemen a TE and RB if you have to. Just to see the field will be invaluable experience.
Rust? I guess Stafford should play to get the rust off.

You do realize they practice every day and will have a couple of practices against the Bengals next week.

In the end, if they lose Stafford, a Kurt Warner type is not walking through that door.

Flint

Pro Bowler
McCutcheon definitely bailed him out on a couple of those, if the db turns around it’s a couple easy picks. Kinda depends on what you want though, I don’t think Wolford could run the offense anywhere near well enough not to give rams nation migraines as we saw when Goff got hurt, but Perkins might be a change of pace run around guy until someone catches up to him.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
McCutcheon definitely bailed him out on a couple of those, if the db turns around it’s a couple easy picks. Kinda depends on what you want though, I don’t think Wolford could run the offense anywhere near well enough not to give rams nation migraines as we saw when Goff got hurt, but Perkins might be a change of pace run around guy until someone catches up to him.

You just might be right. Nobody has a crystal ball and your take makes as much sense as anybody else’s.
…let’s just hope we don’t have to find out.

Bottom line is the Rams, like most teams, are in a world of hurt if Stafford goes down.