Rams Backup QB Situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
The entire time I have been saying it was rust. I want him to get some of the game-time rust off him.

You may disagree with me and that is fine but that is my thought and I am sticking with it. No need to put me down.
How much difference do you feel 2-4 series in preseason week 2 will make in (arbitrarily chosen because it's a long way out) regular season week 10 after half time? A couple of series now aren't going to knock off enough rust to make a difference if Stafford stays healthy for several weeks, IMO. It's all risk, no reward.

Tano

Legend
You know what, that was poor-form on my part. You're absolutely right and I apologize for being condescending.

I get your point about rust and what I'm saying is I think it was much less about rust than game situation. A blowout just changes energy, focus, so many things for all the players on the field.

Thanks.
I accept your apology (y)

Bu I also agree with your point about blow-outs. I think it was also a case of a blowout but I also feel rust caused him to be even worse than he normally would be in a blow-out.

I would say it was probably even. But that's just my opinion.

I also feel since he has only played in blow-outs the past two years that maybe some preseason time will get his adrenaline going and get him closer to game shape for the regular season. Just a thought.

Tano

Legend
How much difference do you feel 2-4 series in preseason week 2 will make in (arbitrarily chosen because it's a long way out) regular season week 10 after half time? A couple of series now aren't going to knock off enough rust to make a difference if Stafford stays healthy for several weeks, IMO. It's all risk, no reward.
Maybe - maybe not. To be honest I do not know how much game time will help.

But having only played two series twice in blow-out games in the last two years can't be helpful.

Look at Deshawn Watson in his first preseason start. Talk about rust.

I think some preseason time can only help. Maybe do short quick passes so the chance of him getting hurt is small. Just get him some game time feel.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I probably have missed it; what has McVay said about playing Wolford in the preseason?

I’d like to see some live reps. Last time out he made me nervous.

Well CGI - perfect research by a poster . Rodriquez said he will play the first half against Houston.

—Call me crazy,but I see Mcvay’s pattern. You know it’s elimination by process. I’d guess or ask you your thoughts on the QB situation?

Imo it is not about the backups as it is doing what is Best for TEAM! Just text a buddy(bears fan) season is close. Stafford is healthy.I think that says it all. Basically I’m going to say it, but if Stafford goes down The Rams R F’d?
Then again I’m a Rams Fan that is always Half FULL!!! That is what has kept me a Rams Fan.Not going back to what that has meant,except as my favorite poster here is LOYAL!

Dude Life is good & we are blessed to be Rams Fans. You know that CGI! Said enough- the process will playout.
My vision though is 100%by100%

Love it. BTW Wolford is so good with this Rams offense,but Perkins is AMAZING ATHLETIC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Wolford is so good with this Rams offense,but Perkins is AMAZING ATHLETIC.

Wolford moves pretty well too, though. Watching that clip in one of these threads, he’s a good scrambler.

My concern with Wolford as a scrambler is he’s shown some poor judgment on finishing his runs taking too many hits. He needs to fix that, but he moves pretty good out there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wolford moves pretty well too, though. Watching that clip in one of these threads, he’s a good scrambler.

My concern with Wolford as a scrambler is he’s shown some poor judgment on finishing his runs taking too many hits. He needs to fix that, but he moves pretty good out there.

Well IMO if you go back to the Adams hit it sort of sucked.
Tyler Higbee whiffed on his block.Blanton did that Saturday. The point being imo it should have been a 15 yard penalty & it was a designed play call

I think Wolford is better than some may realize, but then again when he starts Friday we all should have a better idea.
In 2021 he was in training camp running the offense well before he had his emergency appendix thing.
This time in training camp he was getting first team reps. It has been awhile since he has had Any real film.

Should be fun to watch

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Folks should remember Perkins has a leg up on Wolford before they judge who is better. Perkins has had 10 days and over 400 snaps with the 2nd team, while Wolford spent all of TC running the 1st team.

I don't think it will mater though, Wolford clearly showed he was the better QB in TC. I'm counting on him to prove it Friday.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I like Wolford but he just isn't effective. We need better!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Folks should remember Perkins has a leg up on Wolford before they judge who is better. Perkins has had 10 days and over 400 snaps with the 2nd team, while Wolford spent all of TC running the 1st team.

I don't think it will mater though, Wolford clearly showed he was the better QB in TC. I'm counting on him to prove it Friday.

Well Bubba Ram he didn’t. Had a friend who went to the game & said Perkins looked great.
I saw a guy at training camp going knutts after a bad throw across his body in the endzone.
He told his friend I hate Wolford he is not a good QB. Perkins is a lot better. I thought Hmmm?Sort of disagreed.
I know you & Veteran Ram saw what you saw from Wolford & all those INT’s Perkins threw. I get it.
The difference is this is Live Games & the Lights are on.There is a backup QB battle for sure. The Rams just showed with Blanton they are not afraid of letting players go who we might not think would get CUT.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Just throwing my hat in the ring...

To my eye, Wolford is significantly better than Perkins. Yes, Perkins has elite run skills. It's a joy to watch him run around out there. But his throws are just freaking ugly. I have never once seen one of Perkins' throws and thought, "Wow". And I've seen several wounded ducks and a few awful throws (including his first two attempts last night).

Wolford throws darts out there. And his mobility is excellent, though not as good as Perkins.

My main concern with Perkins would be how he could be shut down if an NFL defense schemed a game plan against him. The book would be, "Perkins wants to beat you with his legs and short dump-off passes, so make him beat you with his arm."

I have never seen Perkins throw a rope on a 20 yard pass, it's just not a part of his game.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Just throwing my hat in the ring...

To my eye, Wolford is significantly better than Perkins. Yes, Perkins has elite run skills. It's a joy to watch him run around out there. But his throws are just freaking ugly. I have never once seen one of Perkins' throws and thought, "Wow". And I've seen several wounded ducks and a few awful throws (including his first two attempts last night).

Wolford throws darts out there. And his mobility is excellent, though not as good as Perkins.

My main concern with Perkins would be how he could be shut down if an NFL defense schemed a game plan against him. The book would be, "Perkins wants to beat you with his legs and short dump-off passes, so make him beat you with his arm."

I have never seen Perkins throw a rope on a 20 yard pass, it's just not a part of his game.
2nd this completely. amazed at how many ppl prefer perkins over wolford. I know wolford isnt anything special and perkins is exciting with his mobility but his passing is pretty bad. no way you win a game with him if a team makes him throw it. with that said, theres probably a case to be made in a single playoff game situation, his running might actually be the best option with the opponents unable to really game plan for it, but cant imagine thats a way to decide your full time backup

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
My gut tells me Perkins is our guy. He wouldn’t clear waivers while I think Wolford would. There’s some trust there with McVay on the Wolfman but I think the gamble will be to keep Perkins and hope Wolford will be available in the lurch.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
My gut tells me Perkins is our guy. He wouldn’t clear waivers while I think Wolford would. There’s some trust there with McVay on the Wolfman but I think the gamble will be to keep Perkins and hope Wolford will be available in the lurch.
O'Connell would snap up Wolford unless they are only keeping 2 QBs. Guessing Mond is someone they want to develop.