Rams Backup QB Situation?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
You just might be right. Nobody has a crystal ball and your take makes as much sense as anybody else’s.
…let’s just hope we don’t have to find out.

Bottom line is the Rams, like most teams, are in a world of hurt if Stafford goes down.
If you're not in a world of hurt when your QB1 goes down, it's because you were in a world of hurt when he was playing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I probably have missed it; what has McVay said about playing Wolford in the preseason?

I’d like to see some live reps. Last time out he made me nervous.

Tano

Legend
Rust? I guess Stafford should play to get the rust off.

You do realize they practice every day and will have a couple of practices against the Bengals next week.

In the end, if they lose Stafford, a Kurt Warner type is not walking through that door.
Stafford played all of last year and even thru February.

Wolford hasn't played more than a couple plays in a game for almost 1 1/2 years now.

Practice is completely different than game time since both teams are going full steam in a game.

A practice with other teams always have some limitations.

He needs at minimum two series imho.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Wolford hasn't played more than a couple plays in a game for almost 1 1/2 years now.

Practice is completely different than game time since both teams are going full steam in a game.

From everything I've read about joint practices and what they do and why?

I see no reason to play in a preseason game.

They can evaluate Wolford playing with the 1s going against 1s in practice. They can evaluate him playing with backups going against starters... they can play him with starters against backups.

You eliminate some of the mayhem that you see in preseason and reduce the risk of injury.

Unless you've never played in an NFL game and just don't know what it's like on gameday.. that whole process, I just don't see what the need is or the benefit when it comes to someone like Wolford.

I completely get it for young guys who haven't shown in those practices that they get it yet. The reps for those guys can be valuable.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott

If it's completely different then why is McVay sitting all of his starters and even some
key reserves, with Buffalo on the schedule for week one?

I will trust him over fans like us.

Tano

Legend
If it's completely different then why is McVay sitting all of his starters and even some
key reserves, with Buffalo on the schedule for week one?

I will trust him over fans like us.
McVay doesn't want injuries. That's the main reason. I bet he would like some game time but he doesn't want any injuries during meaningless preseason games. And I do not blame him.

But a number 2 QB who isn't even that good, I would take the chance with him. And Tutu needs the game time as well after sitting out most of last season.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay doesn't want injuries. That's the main reason. I bet he would like some game time but he doesn't want any injuries during meaningless preseason games. And I do not blame him.

But a number 2 QB who isn't even that good, I would take the chance with him. And Tutu needs the game time as well after sitting out most of last season.
I'm just going to say that all this is the same logic people used to criticize McVay for sitting starters in preseason, and now the league is largely copying his approach.

swmizzou83

Starter
How people still criticize McVay's decisions months after he lead us to a super bowl win is ridiculous. If he trusts Wolford than I do too. He sees him every single practice and we don't. And by all reports Wolford has looked great in practice.

Tano

Legend
I'm just going to say that all this is the same logic people used to criticize McVay for sitting starters in preseason, and now the league is largely copying his approach.
I said I understand his approach and actually agree with it to a point but I think he takes it too far with reserves who have barely played in the NFL

Wolford is one and Tutu is another

I agree wholeheartedly with not playing any of the other players.

Edit - did you not see how horrible Wolford played last year? I blame it mostly on rust since he didn't have any preseason game time just practices.

And I am not even talking about evaluating Wolford. If he has played as well as he has in practice, then he has won the job since Perkins did not show anything with his arm against SD.

Last edited:

Tano

Legend
How people still criticize McVay's decisions months after he lead us to a super bowl win is ridiculous. If he trusts Wolford than I do too. He sees him every single practice and we don't. And by all reports Wolford has looked great in practice.
I am only disagreeing with one decision and it is lucky that we never had to play Wolford last year for even one game.

I am concerned that if Stafford is hurt in any game that Wolford will be so rusty that we will lose the first game he plays even if it is against a team we should beat easily.

Every game counts.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Methinks McVay knows who to play in pre-season.
In his first 5 seasons he has started 3-1 4 times. The other time? Was 4-0...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Methinks McVay knows who to play in pre-season.
In his first 5 seasons he has started 3-1 4 times. The other time? Was 4-0...

I get tired of people questioning McVay's methods. Even when he traded away Goff I was angry but understood why he did it.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I said I understand his approach and actually agree with it to a point but I think he takes it too far with reserves who have barely played in the NFL

Wolford is one and Tutu is another

I agree wholeheartedly with not playing any of the other players.

Edit - did you not see how horrible Wolford played last year? I blame it mostly on rust since he didn't have any preseason game time just practices.

And I am not even talking about evaluating Wolford. If he has played as well as he has in practice, then he has won the job since Perkins did not show anything with his arm against SD.
Wolford played with backups and in mop up. Looked bad, nothing was at stake.
In his only action in NFL that mattered, he was solid.
And there’s nothing to be learned or gained for the coaching staff from playing him with backups.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
And there’s nothing to be learned or gained for the coaching staff from playing him with backups.

Well I don’t know about that? Wolford is getting first team reps though so there is that.
You know my question to you then is will Wolford play in the preseason?
—I honestly am curious & there is a part of me that thinks Wolford might even get to start against Cinncy?
—From my view point I’m wondering what is in the works & how the preseason plays out.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I get tired of people questioning McVay's methods. Even when he traded away Goff I was angry but understood why he did it.

Well I guess what I’m doing is questioning his methods,but why not ?
-Do you (WE) even know what Mcvay’s methods are ?

Anyone that doesn’t think things are different when it come to backups are crazy. Traditional The NFL had sort of a way they did things in the preseason. That was when it was a 4game preseason.
-The NFL in case NFL Fans haven’t heard. The preseason is only 3 games & not 4.!The NFL season is now 17 instead of 16. Which it means is more of a grind.
The practice squad have expanded & those rules have changed once again on who you can & can not keep & for how long & how many times. You know rules.
—The fact I question right now is not how he does something,but rather what is ge going to do & does it become traditional of his coaching style.

Tano

Legend
He played the one game with starters and was horrible in that game too.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
He played the one game with starters and was horrible in that game too.
Like I said... mop up with nothing at stake with a game already over.

Just not anything significant to evaluate there. The two times we saw him on a field with something at stake, he looked solid. Really wish he hadn't taken that cheap shot against Seattle because he looked great and the team was moving.

He had all of 4 attempts in 2 games.

You feel free to make an analysis based on that, I'm more than happy to watch the games from the end of 21. And, again, I combine that with everything we've heard from camp and the fact that we know he's locked into the system and I just don't have any worries.

Tano

Legend
Like I said... mop up with nothing at stake with a game already over.

Just not anything significant to evaluate there. The two times we saw him on a field with something at stake, he looked solid. Really wish he hadn't taken that cheap shot against Seattle because he looked great and the team was moving.

He had all of 4 attempts in 2 games.

You feel free to make an analysis based on that, I'm more than happy to watch the games from the end of 21. And, again, I combine that with everything we've heard from camp and the fact that we know he's locked into the system and I just don't have any worries.
The entire time I have been saying it was rust. I want him to get some of the game-time rust off him.

You may disagree with me and that is fine but that is my thought and I am sticking with it. No need to put me down.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
The entire time I have been saying it was rust. I want him to get some of the game-time rust off him.

You may disagree with me and that is fine but that is my thought and I am sticking with it. No need to put me down.
You know what, that was poor-form on my part. You're absolutely right and I apologize for being condescending.

I get your point about rust and what I'm saying is I think it was much less about rust than game situation. A blowout just changes energy, focus, so many things for all the players on the field.

Thanks.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
I remember thinking years ago, when McVay said his starters would not play any preseason snaps, that this guy is crazy and this will blow up in his face week 1+.

Yeah, there’s a reason I’m just a football fan and he’s NFL football rich/successful. I’m a NFL idiot. McVay is not. Thankfully so