Rams asked permission to interview Pat Shurmur for OC job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Do not think he got fired, more like he got a HC job (Browns). To me it means they will consider strongly taking a QB early based on his success with SB in his rookie year. That type of production plus Gurley and a deep threat with SPEED , in my opinion is PLAYOFFS.

This is the only ray of hope in this scenario. Thanks for reminding me that Shurmur is supposedly good with young QBs. Maybe this means they are all in with a first round QB this season.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I just think at some point Fish needs to move quick and get a top OC when they're out there. The good ones don't usually last long, certainly not as long as Fish often takes to make a call since they're usually gone by the time he makes his hire.

OC is holding him and his regime back. Dude needs to get hot and make a strong offer to DeFillipo before someone else gets him. IMO.
Quickly like before the playoffs started,that's pretty quick.

What makes DeFillipo the right fit? I have a hard time accepting anyone from the Browns as a savior for the Rams franchise.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
His worst decision since he came to the Rams, and this is reason #1 why they haven't made the playoffs in his tenure.
Actually I believe that whole injury thing is a lot more believable as the #1 reason they haven't been in the playoffs.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
You're in the sexiness capital of the world now, and you bring in Pat Shurmur for OC? Smh....some people never learn.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Actually I believe that whole injury thing is a lot more believable as the #1 reason they haven't been in the playoffs.

Perhaps you're right. So I'll amend and say it was the worst decision he's made in hiring an assistant. I have no doubt our offense would have been better with Hue Jackson at OC instead of Schottenheimer.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I still see this as an attempt to save Nick Foles, especially if they are unable to get a top QB in round 1.

So I would think all options are open. If they fall in love with Wentz and can move up for him, then Shurmur develops him. If they can't get him or if they really do like Mannion, then he might be able to resurect Foles.

BTW, if the Rams keep him on the roster and pay Foles' roster bonus, does that make him tradeable later in the off-season since his cap number will be much lower for the acquiring team?

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Perhaps you're right. So I'll amend and say it was the worst decision he's made in hiring an assistant. I have no doubt our offense would have been better with Hue Jackson at OC instead of Schottenheimer.
Meh, debatable with the players they had probably not and we'd still be looking for someone new at this point.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still see this as an attempt to save Nick Foles, especially if they are unable to get a top QB in round 1.

So I would think all options are open. If they fall in love with Wentz and can move up for him, then Shurmur develops him. If they can't get him or if they really do like Mannion, then he might be able to resurect Foles.

BTW, if the Rams keep him on the roster and pay Foles' roster bonus, does that make him tradeable later in the off-season since his cap number will be much lower for the acquiring team?
Now, I hope he's not the Nick Foles Whisperer.....But working with Wentz, works for me.....Wentz and Mannion....Goff & Mannion....Lynch & Mannion....

A serious question: why are some of you guys out on Shurmur?
I'm curious too....since I'd assume, it's still Boras' job to lose...from what I read, he's the passing game coordinator interviewee....
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000625759/article/eagles-to-add-john-defilippo-as-qb-coach
In other coordinating news with a link to Philly, former Eagles offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will talk to the Rams about their passing-game coordinator job, Rapoport reports. If hired, Shurmur would fill the pass-game coordinator role alongside Rob Boras, who is expected to become the Rams' OC.

Curious, why isnt Chip hiring Shurmur as OC in San Fran?

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 28m28 minutes ago
Ian Rapoport Retweeted Ale

My understanding is Rob Boras expected to be #Rams OC. Shurmur would fill new passing-game coordinator role
Exactly.....

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bradford is going to want top dollar but he's an injury risk and still has not had a season to prove he's worth it. I'd pass on him man. Tempting though. But that fire, where I believe he's gonna arrive, has burned me too many times. Only way I'd take him is if he took an affordable contract to come back, but no way he's gonna do that.
What do you think a fare contract, to bring Bradford back, would be? IDK!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
W4stg3y.gif
And
This blows my mind man. Shurmer? Oh man.
PNYRZ.gif
Just says it all....

Rams43

Hall of Fame
And that's why Jeff Fisher should not be head coach of this team. Jeff Fisher is not an offensive mind. He has no business passing on better OCs because their philosophy doesn't fit his. His offensive philosophy should be to hire the best damn OC in the business.

The 2010 offense? It averaged 18.1 PPG to the Rams 17.5 PPG this year. That was with a ridiculously easy schedule. That offense still sucked.

This post of yours really resonated with me, jrry32.

You nailed the Fisher O inadequacy in those 3 sentences. Well done, sir!

And the sad thing is that Fisher doesn't even realize it, so we know that it will never change as long as he is our HC.

Maddening, isn't it?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What do you think a fare contract, to bring Bradford back, would be? IDK!

I'd offer him a long term deal at $15 million per year with a nice signing bonus and structure it so that if necessary either side could part ways at the three year point without too much discomfort. But Sam's agent would never accept that.

He will end up signing a shorter term contract for a higher amount, IMO, probably somewhere around $18 million plus per year. For reference Andy Dalton makes $16 million per, and Alex Smith $17 million per.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'd offer him a long term deal at $15 million per year with a nice signing bonus and structure it so that if necessary either side could part ways at the three year point without too much discomfort. But Sam's agent would never accept that.

He will end up signing a shorter term contract for a higher amount, IMO, probably somewhere around $18 million plus per year. For reference Andy Dalton makes $16 million per, and Alex Smith $17 million per.
Considering all the past Health issues, I think your $15 Million deal sound very reasonable!! But Stupid agents always get in the way!!

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I have a solution. The San Diego Chargers will only be allowed to move into our shiny new stadium if they give us Philip Rivers for the next three years.