(Poll) Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 85 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 25.4%

• Total voters

Zodi

Hall of Fame

Actually, I was trying to have a discussion with you, as I generally agree with your posts and for the first time for as long as I can remember, this is an area where our opinions differ. If you just want to dissolve my question down into something simplistic and would rather not discuss your personal views involving how the league should handle marijuana, I'd have to ask... why post in this thread in the first place?

But, like I said, I have a lot of respect for you as poster so I respect your opinion.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
From everything I have read.There is no such thing as physical addiction to Marijuana.
However alcohol is.It is also far more dangerous than weed.
No one has contested the Alcohol v Marijuana thing. In fact it was not even a topic on this thread until brought up as a comparison. Anything that changes your state of mind or the way you feel can be addictive. You can always find contrary views but most will disagree that pot is not addictive. I have been addicted to pot.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I could give a freak what someone does in their home...in there house...I hate being that guy. But if we are to look out for those that can't protect themselves, we need to stay on unregulated drugs. Until all the risks, if possible, can be known. I already got a problem with these kids of today...weirdos...clueless lot. Hell, half of the country just voted for a pot-head...and look where he's headed. Lying every week...plotting with Russia...grabbing wuss...well, I kinda liked that part of him....LOLOLOL....Naw, anything to keep kids from thinking smoking pot is cool...we need to try...the number of kids under 16 that smoke weed in LA is alarming...and just from their conversations, they're not ready to mess up their minds just yet....

http://www.cannabisfn.com/colorado-teens-smoking-less-pot-after-legalization/

As mentioned above in the link, seems the 'cool' is partially removed once legalization transpires.

Who exactly are those that can't look out for themselves, ... adults ? Kids are already protected under the law, and see how well that is working ? What I find alarming is how many people say they don't care what others do in the privacy of their own home, then go right on to dictate what they should or shouldn't be doing. Whatever happened to adults taking responsibility for their own actions ? Every day there is someone trying to legislate a new law, believing they have the answer to 'fix' society, all while curbing the personal freedoms of those which already function quite well. Apparently we prefer paying taxes & locking up individuals seeking alternative lifestyles, people who may not be hurting anyone but themselves, if even that, to having to accept that some have chosen a different path. Leading us down the road towards an Orwellian society isn't my idea of liberty when we could just as easily accept responsibility for the choices we make and the directions we take. Do you really want to be a 'Stepford' human in a nanny state which controls your every move ? Or do you enjoy asserting your own privilege to force others into a lifestyle not of their particular liking ? I say live and let be, then own up to it if you F-up. jmo.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
As mentioned above in the link, seems the 'cool' is partially removed once legalization transpires.

Who exactly are those that can't look out for themselves, ... adults ? Kids are already protected under the law, and see how well that is working ?
The kids man...just the kids. And trust me...if we make it legal...there will be a whole bunch of adults who think it's "cool" to let their "kids" smoke. Like I said, I couldn't care less what anyone does in their own home...but if it makes their kids potheads...and they try to make other kids potheads...and by some weird circumstance these kids get near my kids...I'm libel to cuss somebody out...or pull out a switch...on my kids and theirs. Laws don't work well with parenting...most parents are teaching their kids to not get caught, or lie...or a bunch of other crazy stuff I see as people try to escape from....a poor situation to something they deem is better.

Late edit

I feel you....going back to your post....Was Lance Armstrongs quest to win those Tours exciting? It was to me...

I personally wouldn't mind guys using steroids under a Dr.'s instructions. Better game...maybe more healthy players...IDK.

Apparently we prefer paying taxes & locking up individuals seeking alternative lifestyles, people who may not be hurting anyone but themselves, if even that, to having to accept that some have chosen a different path. Leading us down the road towards an Orwellian society isn't my idea of liberty when we could just as easily accept responsibility for the choices we make and the directions we take. Do you really want to be a 'Stepford' human in a nanny state which controls your every move ? Or do you enjoy asserting your own privilege to force others into a lifestyle not of their particular liking ?
I edited this so I can respond...America uses many means to maximize it's capitalistic state. Prisons are one of them...I have been really trying to absorb the nature of criminalization. Why is it prevalent. I keep coming down to, they need to imprison a certain number of society....They want to curb peoples ideals...And they want to control the population..not only the actual number, but the type of person. It's a money maker, no matter how you slice it. So, it's not about controlling what you do...or your lifestyle...it's about keeping a money making source applicable to today.

Everyone makes choices. We need to make sure that b4 young adults (kids to me) make choices that could change their lives, they are properly informed & educated on the outcomes of these choices.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
No one has contested the Alcohol v Marijuana thing. In fact it was not even a topic on this thread until brought up as a comparison. Anything that changes your state of mind or the way you feel can be addictive. You can always find contrary views but most will disagree that pot is not addictive. I have been addicted to pot.

I sort of disagree with your statement though . Why aren't you smoking now ??
Mary J is easy to walk away from once your stop . With Alcahol youngonright back to that state . -- Anything can be addictive , to far easier to not go back to it. Maybe a state or mind ?? My opinion is all.

Until it is legal to smoke nation wide medically then yes ?? Have to have a Dr.'s note . Then again monitored by the league so it's not abused ?? Then you have state legalization which adds twist on it . Not sure the league is ready for it ??
It might have helped Josh Gordon & The dude from Texas Ricky Williams ??
So it is proof players can play at an elite level while THC is in there system.
Would be great if there was a test level like alcohol .

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The kids man...just the kids. And trust me...if we make it legal...there will be a whole bunch of adults who think it's "cool" to let their "kids" smoke. Like I said, I couldn't care less what anyone does in their own home...but if it makes their kids potheads...and they try to make other kids potheads...and by some weird circumstance these kids get near my kids...I'm libel to cuss somebody out...or pull out a switch...on my kids and theirs. Laws don't work well with parenting...most parents are teaching their kids to not get caught, or lie...or a bunch of other crazy stuff I see as people try to escape from....a poor situation to something they deem is better.

Well, ... NFL players are no longer adolescents, they are adults responsible for their own lives. Hopefully parents, a decent education and other adults have trained them well before going it alone, some will fall thru the cracks and perhaps society has failed them, some others will make poor choices no matter how well prepared they were when they struck out on their own. Still, it's their life to live once they reach adulthood.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
In terms of enhancing your playing ability I still think this is ludicrous. I've smoked marijuana and been around hundreds of others that are smoking regularly and there is no freaking way that it enhances ones athletic abilities. Some of the ways I felt when I smoked : Lethargic, lazy, couch locked, tired, unmotivated, relaxed, etc None of those things will enhance my football ability ?
With better focus and concentration...you'll play better. Some people smoke weed and get sleepy & hungry, some guys get a rush.
I've read about the use of marijuana opens breathing passages...Better vision...
If you're just smoking and not doing nothing...yeah, those effects will happen, the one's you've witnessed. If you smoke and your group runs...plays football, swims....and does athletic things every day...it will aid your athletic endeavors. We're talking about elite athletes...that also happen to smoke. Not couch potatoes....that like to smoke. LOL
You made me...
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/does-pot-make-you-better-athlete
http://thirdmonk.net/lifestyle/cannabis-athletic-performance-recovery.html
http://greatist.com/play/marijuana-effects-on-runners
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27629700

and they keep emphasizing recovery....we all should know that...but focus is the key PED impact.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hopefully parents, a decent education and other adults have trained them well before going it alone, some will fall thru the cracks and perhaps society has failed them, some others will make poor choices no matter how well prepared they were when they struck out on their own. Still, it's their life to live once they reach adulthood.
What if all you ever saw as a kid is people smoking weed?

You say, well, some will slip through the cracks.....what if the only ones that slipped through the cracks were the "good" ones?

What if this is only in one type of society/culture/area code? What if this type of drug use was targeted at one specific type of child?

Your hopeful..that's beautiful....That's all well and good until you run into a poorly educated, poorly trained, young adult that fell through the cracks and doesn't care about you. And then "they" all look like...what? monsters? uncontrolled persons? Are we creating disenfranchised individuals? To keep others employed? Elite even?

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I sort of disagree with your statement though . Why aren't you smoking now ??
Mary J is easy to walk away from once your stop . With Alcahol youngonright back to that state . -- Anything can be addictive , to far easier to not go back to it. Maybe a state or mind ?? My opinion is all.

Until it is legal to smoke nation wide medically then yes ?? Have to have a Dr.'s note . Then again monitored by the league so it's not abused ?? Then you have state legalization which adds twist on it . Not sure the league is ready for it ??
It might have helped Josh Gordon & The dude from Texas Ricky Williams ??
So it is proof players can play at an elite level while THC is in there system.
Would be great if there was a test level like alcohol .
Sobriety was no easier to achieve than drug addiction for me. This topic will never be agreed upon. I will ask of all the people that used to smoke and don't now how many find it Non addictive? If you are still smoking you really aren't in a position to know for sure yet. I quit pot because I recognized it affected my day to day life, mood and behavior.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
What if all you ever saw as a kid is people smoking weed?

You say, well, some will slip through the cracks.....what if the only ones that slipped through the cracks were the "good" ones?

What if this is only in one type of society/culture/area code? What if this type of drug use was targeted at one specific type of child?

Your hopeful..that's beautiful....That's all well and good until you run into a poorly educated, poorly trained, young adult that fell through the cracks and doesn't care about you. And then "they" all look like...what? monsters? uncontrolled persons? Are we creating disenfranchised individuals? To keep others employed? Elite even?
The law is pretty specific when dealing with 'monsters', although i'm yet to meet a single one who developed into that from smoking pot.

CanRamFan

Starter
Name
Joe
With better focus and concentration...you'll play better. Some people smoke weed and get sleepy & hungry, some guys get a rush.
I've read about the use of marijuana opens breathing passages...Better vision...
If you're just smoking and not doing nothing...yeah, those effects will happen, the one's you've witnessed. If you smoke and your group runs...plays football, swims....and does athletic things every day...it will aid your athletic endeavors. We're talking about elite athletes...that also happen to smoke. Not couch potatoes....that like to smoke. LOL
You made me...
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/endurance/does-pot-make-you-better-athlete
http://thirdmonk.net/lifestyle/cannabis-athletic-performance-recovery.html
http://greatist.com/play/marijuana-effects-on-runners
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27629700

and they keep emphasizing recovery....we all should know that...but focus is the key PED impact.

In terms of focus, if marijuana really helps you focus better why are so many people worried about marijuana users driving impaired ? If it really does help with focus youd think we would want people driving around stoned to improve road safety. At the same time why does it matter ? Athletes use protein powder, pre-workout supplements (loaded with high doses of stimulants) and amino acids for recovery, pain relievers, etc so how is marijuana any different than any of those if it did indeed enhance ones ability to get a better workout in ? Athletes do all kinds of things to increase the benefit of their workout and recover faster that are not banned by the NFL and everyone seems to be ok with. I don't see any difference if you really believe that marijuana enhances focus and concentration (which is exactly what most pre-workout supplements advertise that they do)

I can play the link game too, to support my stance because there is a lot of conflicting information out there. A quick search and I already found this on one site :

What are the effects of marijuana on performance?

• Impairs skills requiring eye-hand coordination and a fast reaction time
  • Reduces motor coordination, tracking ability and perceptual accuracy
  • Impairs concentration, and time appears to move more slowly
  • Skill impairment may last up to 24 to 36 hours after usage
  • Reduces maximal exercise capacity resulting in increased fatiguability
  • Marijuana has no performance-enhancing potential

I mentioned in another post that as far as I know, nobody wants players playing the game while stoned. I feel like players should however be allowed to have a couple hoots at night without fear of being suspended and losing their income. If the argument is should players be allowed to smoke while playing ? We agree, because I don't want to see that either.

I just don't want to see lives ruined (criminal records), jobs lost, livelihood taken (suspensions), because of a personal choice someone made that harmed nobody at all.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/040802

The All-Weed Team
By DJ Gallo

OFFENSE

040728_rickywilliams.jpg

Running back: Ricky Williams

The All-Weed Team starts with Williams. With three failures of league drug tests on his record, the former All-Pro even admitted to the Miami Herald last week that his desire to continue smoking pot contributed to his decision to retire. That's some serious dedication to weed.

And considering that long-term marijuana might lead to motivational problems, impaired judgment and loss of ambition, it's no wonder Williams thought it wise to give up the millions of dollars remaining on his contract for a life of joblessness and bong hits. He'll get the bulk of the carries on the All-Weed Team.

Running back: Jamal Lewis, Baltimore Ravens.

Lewis was suspended in 2001 for violation of the league's substance abuse policy. (The details of Lewis's two positive tests weren't released by the league, so we can't be absolutely certain about his substance of choice.) But that -- and his current federal indictment in relation to a drug ring -- are enough to put Lewis in our backfield with Williams. It's a backfield that any coach would want to have between the hashish ... er, hashes.

a_moss_i.jpg

Wide receiver: Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings.

Moss tested positive for marijuana at Florida State and was kicked off the team before he enrolled at Marshall. He was also charged with possessing a small amount of marijuana in 2002 in relation to a traffic accident, but the charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of careless driving and a petty misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice. Like the old saying goes: "A rolling Moss always gets stoned." Or something like that.

Wide receiver: Muhsin Muhammad, Carolina Panthers.

Muhammad pleaded guilty in 2002 to misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and carrying a concealed weapon. He also served jail time in 1993 while at Michigan State for violating a probation he was given for possession of marijuana. Muhammad gets the starting nod over other candidates because of his multiple transgressions -- a dedication to ganja that is not taken lightly on this team.

Quarterback: Todd Marinovich, formerly of the Raiders.

Marinovich has a long track record with marijuana, including a conviction for cultivation of the plant in 1998. That history earned him a well-deserved nickname: Todd Marijuanavich. The All-Weed Team provides him with his last, best chance to achieve the football stardom he was seemingly destined for since early childhood. Even the world's biggest pothead wouldn't blow an opportunity like this.

Probably. His backup? Virginia Tech sophomore Marcus Vick, who threw for 475 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman last season but is currently suspended indefinitely in the wake of charges of marijuana possession and reckless driving.

Tight end: O.J. Santiago, Denver Broncos.

Santiago was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2001 as a member of the Cleveland Browns. His hold on the All-Weed Team's starting tight end spot will be tightened if he agrees to change his initials to M.J.

stepnoski.jpg

Center: Mark Stepnoski.

Stepnoski has served as president of the Texas chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws since his retirement from the game. His presence is needed both on the field and in the locker room so All-Weed Team members can learn how he managed to avoid a single positive drug test during his 13-year career.

Offensive line: Nate Newton, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers.

Despite being 42-years old and out of the game for four years, Newton receives an All-Weed Team spot. In fact, we'll name him a co-captain, along with Ricky Williams, since he was once busted driving around with 213 pounds of marijuana in his van. That's right -- pounds, not ounces. While his No. 1 job on the All-Weed Team will be clearing holes for Williams and Lewis, a close second will be supplying his teammates with some of his primo product.

Offensive line: Khiawatha Downey, San Francisco 49ers.

Downey twice tested positive for marijuana while in college.

Offensive line: Marvel Smith, Pittsburgh Steelers.

Smith was arrested and charged with marijuana possession in 2002. He also tested positive for marijuana while at Arizona State. And you thought the Pittsburgh drug culture died with the Pirates of the late '70s and early '80s.

Offensive line: Tra Thomas, Philadelphia Eagles.

Thomas tested positive for marijuana before the 1998 NFL Draft. He claimed it was from second-hand smoke, something he should be breathing a lot of in the All-Weed Team's locker room.

DEFENSE

040728_sapp.jpg

Defensive line: Warren Sapp, Oakland Raiders.

Sapp admitted to a positive test for marijuana while at the University of Miami. He provides the All-Weed Team with bulk in the middle of the defensive line.

Defensive line: Keith Hamilton.

Hamilton was charged with possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana -- among other drug-related charges -- during a 2003 traffic stop. He'll easily be lured out of his short retirement once he is made aware that there plenty of food available at our postgame spread.

Defensive line: Anthony Maddox, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Originally a Florida State recruit, Maddox was arrested in 1999 for possession of marijuana. He gets named to the All-Weed Team not only for his potential on the defensive line, but also for the valuable connections he has to Florida's fertile, hash-friendly college programs.

Defensive line: Cletidus Hunt, Green Bay Packers.

Hunt tested positive for marijuana at the 1999 NFL scouting combine and twice more after joining the Packers, resulting in a four-game suspension without pay in 2001. His current contract mandates that he must return a portion of his signing bonus if he is suspended again. His All-Weed Team contract mandates no such thing.

Linebacker: Ahmad Brooks, University of Virginia.

The selection of Brooks is based solely on potential -- both on the field and on the pipe. He pled no contest to marijuana possession in the summer of 2003.

Linebacker: Darren Hambrick, free agent.

Hambrick was charged with fleeing a law enforcement officer and resisting an officer in 2001, after the arresting deputy smelled marijuana wafting from his vehicle during a traffic stop. Hambrick is reunited on the All-Weed Team with former Dallas teammates Stepnoski and Newton, a different kind of "Big Three" to go with the Cowboys' Aikman-Emmitt-Irvin troika in the 1990s.

Linebacker: Cornell Brown, Baltimore Ravens.

Brown was arrested for marijuana possession in 2001, but the charge was dropped before trial. Despite the dismissal, no crime-related squad such as the All-Weed Team can go wrong by adding an extra Baltimore Ravens player or two.

Defensive back: Chris McAlister, Baltimore Ravens.

McAlister was charged with possession of marijuana after police found the drug while investigating a burglary at his house. McAlister is currently a holdout with the Ravens, meaning he and Brown will have to smoke apart until an agreement is reached.

Defensive back: Rashard Anderson, Carolina Panthers.

Anderson has been suspended the last two seasons for violating the league's substance abuse policy. He could be reinstated before the start of the season, but he'll always have an active roster spot on the All-Weed Team.

Defensive back: Rodney Artmore, formerly of the Packers.

Artmore was charged with possession of marijuana in 2000 and hasn't played in the NFL since. He makes a triumphant return to football now, though, on the All-Weed Team.

Defensive back: Juran Bolden, Jacksonville Jaguars.

Bolden was charged in 2003 with marijuana possession and driving a stolen car, which Jacksonville apparently thought was worth a five-year, $13.4 million contract this offseason. The All-Weed Team would definitely match or exceed that offer for his services. Plus, we'd throw in some rolling papers.

So there you have it: a team of cannabis aficionados that can hang with anybody in the NFL.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Sobriety was no easier to achieve than drug addiction for me. This topic will never be agreed upon. I will ask of all the people that used to smoke and don't now how many find it Non addictive? If you are still smoking you really aren't in a position to know for sure yet. I quit pot because I recognized it affected my day to day life, mood and behavior.

I've been smoking pot on and off for nearly 50 years and can honestly say 'addiction' had no hold on me. I've gone days, weeks, months and more than a year without imbibing, all in between other times where I have smoked lightly or more heavily.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sobriety was no easier to achieve than drug addiction for me. I will ask of all the people that used to smoke and don't now how many find it Non addictive?

Alcohol was a hard habit for me to break, weed was not. The one addiction I struggled with the most was nicotine. I don't miss alcohol, weed, or meth but I miss nicotine every day.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
yet to meet a single one who developed into that from smoking pot.
Gateway drug....most drug addicts....in prison...what some may consider "monsters" due to their criminal behaviors...claim that the first drug they ever tried was marijuana....did it lead them to other drugs...who knows...but there is a relationship...how strong? That's for society to decide.

In terms of focus, if marijuana really helps you focus better why are so many people worried about marijuana users driving impaired ? If it really does help with focus youd think we would want people driving around stoned to improve road safety. At the same time why does it matter ? Athletes use protein powder, pre-workout supplements (loaded with high doses of stimulants) and amino acids for recovery, pain relievers, etc so how is marijuana any different than any of those if it did indeed enhance ones ability to get a better workout in ? Athletes do all kinds of things to increase the benefit of their workout and recover faster that are not banned by the NFL and everyone seems to be ok with. I don't see any difference if you really believe that marijuana enhances focus and concentration (which is exactly what most pre-workout supplements advertise that they do)

I can play the link game too, to support my stance because there is a lot of conflicting information out there. A quick search and I already found this on one site :

What are the effects of marijuana on performance?
Where's the link? I posted the links to my comment because of the size of the studies conducted and the relative validity of the agents running the study and results found. It does help you focus...I'm sure there are supplements that mimic these qualities. I'm not sure if any do it as well. I'm very sure stimulants, the kind that are banned as well, do it pretty damn good too. Unless you have a doctors excuse. So, I'm not saying ban mary jane because of the PED effects. I'm saying keep them illegal due to the influence on society as a whole. I don't want my kid saying Todd Gurley had a great game getting high, I need to try that b4 my HS championship match. These guys are role models...Whether we like them as such or not.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Never said pot wasn't addictive.I said pot is not physically addictive.
Physical dependence and mental dependence are two different things
on two completely different levels.A pot addiction is not in the same realm
as drugs that are physically addictive.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Gateway drug....most drug addicts....in prison...what some may consider "monsters" due to their criminal behaviors...claim that the first drug they ever tried was marijuana....did it lead them to other drugs...who knows...but there is a relationship...how strong? That's for society to decide.

Well, can't generalize any more than that. I guess alcohol is a 'gateway' to pot, parties are a 'gateway' to alcohol, a preacher parent is the 'gateway' to 'Footloose' dancing at parties.