(Poll) Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 85 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 25.4%

• Total voters

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Just watched last week tonight with John Oliver .
The answer is Hell No , because Mary J is still a class A(1) drug in Fed's eyes. There is no way in Hell that will happen .

Zodi

Hall of Fame
herein lies the problem. teams don't want players as high as a kite during practice or leading up to the game. this will mean they will test the players to ensure they are clean. stopping the nfl tests for dope will only pass the responsibility onto each individual team to ensure players are turning up to work uninhibited by dope.

Do players commonly show up to practice drunk? Is that a thing? If not, why would one be worried about them showing up stoned? That fear is totally baseless.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The answer is Hell No , because Mary J is still a class A(1) drug in Fed's eyes. There is no way in Hell that will happen .
You totally missed the point of that clip then, because saying heroin and Marijuana are in the same category while meth and cocaine are lesser drugs is absolutely absurd. That whole clip was to explain the absurdity and inconsistency of federal law makers and their views on Marijuana. It's considered a class A drug, while at the same time being completely legal in 8 states, and legally accepted in one form or another in almost all states. The video even shows Sessions contradicting himself about the subject.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do players commonly show up to practice drunk? Is that a thing? If not, why would one be worried about them showing up stoned? That fear is totally baseless.

it might be a thing. there are many work places that test for alcohol and drug consumption.

Last edited:

threesox84

3rd Generation Ramwagoner
Name
Greg
So some have argued that maryjane is good for pain relief. Is that a competitive advantage, since a players body will b more ready to train and get ready for the next game?

No. Pain relief is not the same as aiding in recovery.

threesox84

Name
Greg

This is a "should it" question, not a "will it" question. You're probably right that it won't happen, at least any time soon -- but only because the Feds are too stubborn and too stupid to admit that Anslinger pulled the wool over their eyes 87 years ago because he was afraid of losing his cushy government gig after Prohibition ended. The whole thing is literally a scam made up by one dude in service of his own self-interest.

So you're right - it won't happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't. The gubment isn't always right (shocker, I know).

threesox84

Name
Greg
it might be a thing. there are many work places that test for alcohol and drug consumption.

That last part is totally true, but I'm not sure how common it is for work places to test for alcohol consumption. Is that really common?

Needless to say, this "thing" isn't actually a thing for one reason -- anyone who makes a habit of showing up drunk or stoned to a high level gig (like playing for an NFL team) won't have that gig for very long. At least not these days. I doubt there are that many "still drunk from last night" guys in NFL practices.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You totally missed the point of that clip then, because saying heroin and Marijuana are in the same category while meth and cocaine are lesser drugs is absolutely absurd. That whole clip was to explain the absurdity and inconsistency of federal law makers and their views on Marijuana. It's considered a class A drug, while at the same time being completely legal in 8 states, and legally accepted in one form or another in almost all states. The video even shows Sessions contradicting himself about the subject.

It's still a class A - drug though & people can loss there kids & property . Banks won't fund a most all of them ?? Why take that risk ?? Stupid law that goes back to Nixon of all Presidents .

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is a "should it" question, not a "will it" question. You're probably right that it won't happen, at least any time soon -- but only because the Feds are too stubborn and too stupid to admit that Anslinger pulled the wool over their eyes 87 years ago because he was afraid of losing his cushy government gig after Prohibition ended. The whole thing is literally a scam made up by one dude in service of his own self-interest.

So you're right - it won't happen, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't. The gubment isn't always right (shocker, I know).

Well like I said at one point , it does not effect certain players. That can play at a pro bowl level with THC in the system.
I'm not sure if it's good for the league ??
Saw the concussion movie & will see what the future of the NFL is in the next 20 years .I enjoy the game though.

threesox84

Name
Greg
Well like I said at one point , it does not effect certain players. That can play at a pro bowl level with THC in the system.
I'm not sure if it's good for the league ??

Having THC in the system isn't the same as being high, since THC can stay in your system for literally weeks after your last hit.

I doubt any player plays pro bowl ball while actually high.

Saw the concussion movie & will see what the future of the NFL is in the next 20 years .I enjoy the game though.

I think concussion pose a lot bigger threat to football than pot.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Truly, as I enjoy my beer right now, I have no judgement over those that use pot..As a society, if we want to make all drugs legal, then that's what the majority has decided what they want their society to be. As for sport, I want to see players performing at their highest level without drugs...but that's just me.

They ALL use PED s. As much as they can. Anyway they can get them. And it's been like that since the 70's. The drugs are just better now. And those that use are consistently two steps ahead of authorities. Lance Armstrong?... The weed issue is moot because it's not a weed issue. It's an entertainment issue. As soon as too many guys are missing games the rule will be forgotten.

For the record I voted no because it sends a bad message to kids (who are fucked in this society).

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It's still a class A - drug though & people can loss there kids & property . Banks won't fund a most all of them ?? Why take that risk ?? Stupid law that goes back to Nixon of all Presidents .
I agree that it's a dumb law, again point of the video. Legally buying a Class A drug sounds like an oxymoron. I also agree that it won't happen in the NFL, though I think it should. As far as the US, I think that once other states continue to legalize it those dumb laws could be abolished. It's really messed up that you can lose everything for legally treating yourself with marijuana.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
As far as marijuana being a gateway drug, sure that's fair. So is alcohol, and prescription pills. There is this really good documentary on the Heroin epidemic called H"eroin: Cape Cod, USA". It follows around multiple users and shows there story and struggles. It turns out that the majority of them got hooked because of pills. One child had injured his leg, was prescribed something for the pain, got hooked on the feeling and wanted more. Heroin is much cheaper these days and apparently easy to find. It's a great documentary, but not for anyone who is squeamish.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I voted yes, but the NFL should keep with the guidelines regarding player conduct. If pot is illegal and a player is charged with a crime possessing it, the league can implement the punishment just like any other crime. But if a guy tests positive on a random drug test I think they should not punish him the same as PED's. I haven't smoked the stuff in years but I guarantee you it never gave me a competitive advantage when it came to sports. If anything it slowed me down.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhQlcMHhF3w

Opening Scroll: The motion picture you are about to witness may startle you. It would not have been possible, otherwise, to sufficiently emphasize the frightful toll of the new drug menace which is destroying the youth of America in alarmingly increasing numbers.

Marihuana is that drug - a violent narcotic - an unspeakable scourge - The Real Public Enemy Number One! Its first effect is sudden violent, uncontrollable laughter, then come dangerous hallucinations - space expands - time slows down, almost stands still... fixed ideas come next, conjuring up monstrous extravagances -

followed by emotional disturbances, the total inability to direct thoughts, the loss of all power to resist physical emotions... leading finally to acts of shocking violence... ending often in incurable insanity. In picturing its soul- destroying effects no attempt was made to equivocate.

The scenes and incidents, while fictionized for the purposes of this story, are based upon actual research into the results of Marihuana addiction. If their stark reality will make you think, will make you aware that something must be done to wipe out this ghastly menace, then the picture will not have failed in its purpose...

Because the dread Marihuana may be reaching forth next for your son or daughter... or yours... or YOURS!

Have you ever seen "Marihuana" or "Asassin of Youth"? They're in the same vein of lunacy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I agree that it's a dumb law, again point of the video. Legally buying a Class A drug sounds like an oxymoron. I also agree that it won't happen in the NFL, though I think it should. As far as the US, I think that once other states continue to legalize it those dumb laws could be abolished. It's really messed up that you can lose everything for legally treating yourself with marijuana.

Agreed . Especially for those who it benifits in there everyday life's .

There is enough research to prove it's benifits , but big money medical company's will fight it. There is to much money involved for drug company's using more addictive drugs.

The fight for is how many people ever die of OD from Mary J ?? Vs OXY & PILLS ????

NFL players that use put there career in jeopardy . If it was legal for players they still have to preform week in & week out.

If smoking weed helps to relax & rehab vs going out to the club drinking to all hours of the night & driving is a lot worse choice .

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

my main point was you can't test to see if a player is high. There's no test for it, you can test for BAC, and it's there that lies the problem...
Player shows up high, coach accuses them of being high and sits him, League fines player and then possible suspension, player takes league to court knowing there's no way to test him on scene and player wins because they have no actual proof he was high on the field.

And that's the biggest issue.The NFL is privately owned and can set their own rules, if players don't like it go play in the CFL

Zodi

Hall of Fame
my main point was you can't test to see if a player is high.

You can do a mouth swab test. And, like I said, your argument is baseless, as players don't show up to practice or games drunk now even though alcohol is legal. Getting high before a practice or game would be detrimental to their performance.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
You can do a mouth swab test. And, like I said, your argument is baseless, as players don't show up to practice or games drunk now even though alcohol is legal. Getting high before a practice or game would be detrimental to their performance.

Saliva Drug Swab Test
Due to the increased number of drivers driving while under the influence of drugs, police officers in Los Angeles are now testing using drug swabs at DUI checkpoints. The test is roughly eight minutes long and uses a person’s saliva to detect THC, crystal meth, methadone, cocaine, and several other prescription medications.

There are conflicting reports as to the accuracy of these tests. The tests work by detecting trace amounts of drugs in California driver’s saliva, but there can be traces of some drugs in your saliva up to three days after consuming them. This leaves plenty of room for doubt in a court room, as it would be nearly impossible to prove without a shadow of a doubt in a court room that a person was under the influence of Marijuana at the time they were driving solely based on a saliva drug swab.

-----------------------------

Like i said it would never hold up in court. You should do your homework next time.