(Poll) Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the NFL lift its ban on marijuana?

• Yes

Votes: 85 74.6%
  • No

Votes: 29 25.4%

• Total voters

Bruce2980

Starter
No one has contested the Alcohol v Marijuana thing. In fact it was not even a topic on this thread until brought up as a comparison. Anything that changes your state of mind or the way you feel can be addictive. You can always find contrary views but most will disagree that pot is not addictive. I have been addicted to pot.
Pot is not physically addicting; alcohol, sugar, cocaine, opiates, nicotine are all psychically addictive and have physical side effects, called withdrawal symptoms, when one stops using them. There are no ill effects when one stops smoking pot. This is a scientific fact. You claim to have been addicted to pot, what were the physical withdrawal symptoms that you experienced? And why doesn't anyone in the medical or scientific community know about this after this product has been used by millions for thousands of years?

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saliva Drug Swab Test
Due to the increased number of drivers driving while under the influence of drugs, police officers in Los Angeles are now testing using drug swabs at DUI checkpoints. The test is roughly eight minutes long and uses a person’s saliva to detect THC, crystal meth, methadone, cocaine, and several other prescription medications.

There are conflicting reports as to the accuracy of these tests. The tests work by detecting trace amounts of drugs in California driver’s saliva, but there can be traces of some drugs in your saliva up to three days after consuming them. This leaves plenty of room for doubt in a court room, as it would be nearly impossible to prove without a shadow of a doubt in a court room that a person was under the influence of Marijuana at the time they were driving solely based on a saliva drug swab.

-----------------------------

Like i said it would never hold up in court. You should do your homework next time.

i'm pretty sure the roadside test is only to see if you have drugs in your system. once it comes back positive they have to send the sample to the lab to get the real result. the person can't be charged based on the roadside test.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's funny... Me personally, I still jones for weed and I haven't smoked it in 28 years. It's not allowed in the service and we are tested regularly so I quit when I joined. But I still have nightmares where I am smoking it and realize that I have a drug test the next morning, stuff like that. And I can't wait until I retire at 30 years so I can light up a celebratory blunt and hit the buffet.

I've read that an estimated 25% of folks who smoke it are genetically inclined to addiction to it, and if that's true I'm one of them. But regardless in comparison to other drugs it isn't bad at all and when I quit (smoked it like a champ for years when I was a kid) I didn't have physical withdrawals. Tobacco/nicotine on the other hand is 100% addictive, one of the most addictive drugs there are with physical withdrawal symptoms and life-long addiction, as is alcohol, and with both it's just a matter of whether you have partaken long enough.

In the service we have so many problems with alcohol. So many people go apeshit when they're drunk, but I have never had a guy who worked for me lose it on weed. But I have separated many from service due to weed by testing positive for it. The only ones I've separated for alcohol were those who had enormously bad incidents like drunk driving on top of other behavioral problems, it's somewhere along the lines of a 10:1 ratio in my experience, maybe more, with the irony being the alcohol problems are far more significant.

There is a clear and unfair social bias against weed, in my opinion, that goes back to the "reefer madness" generation. And the stuff we're seeing now is the change that is overdue. Who cares if some dude is getting stoned in his house? Really. It is not going to give a pro athlete any sort of advantage, I tell you that. If you want to deal with pain there are better options of endless variety. Focus, same thing, Adderall is insanely good for focus and doesn't make you dumb when you're under the effects. And so on. NFL needs to get with the future on this IMO, and just say they "support state rules." Simple.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Saliva Drug Swab Test
Due to the increased number of drivers driving while under the influence of drugs, police officers in Los Angeles are now testing using drug swabs at DUI checkpoints. The test is roughly eight minutes long and uses a person’s saliva to detect THC, crystal meth, methadone, cocaine, and several other prescription medications.

There are conflicting reports as to the accuracy of these tests. The tests work by detecting trace amounts of drugs in California driver’s saliva, but there can be traces of some drugs in your saliva up to three days after consuming them. This leaves plenty of room for doubt in a court room, as it would be nearly impossible to prove without a shadow of a doubt in a court room that a person was under the influence of Marijuana at the time they were driving solely based on a saliva drug swab.

-----------------------------

Like i said it would never hold up in court. You should do your homework next time.

What would hold up in court? Whether or not a player violated team rules by showing up to practice or a game after smoking a joint? What?

And that swab test is used in court all the time. Violating parole, for instance.... or, it could be used to find players using drugs that are against team rules, period.

Your argument has zero logic involved man. I'm starting to think you're just trolling me at this point.

Let me rephrase this situation: What makes you think that just because something wouldn't be banned, players would start abusing it?

Give me any instance last season where a player showed up before a game drunk off his ass. I'll wait.

Last edited:

Bruce2980

Starter
Do players commonly show up to practice drunk? Is that a thing? If not, why would one be worried about them showing up stoned? That fear is totally baseless.
Lawrence Philips showed up to games drunk and his coach covered for him.
Any professional athlete that smokes pot to get high before a game is a complete idiot and would not be in the NFL for long. This action would not enhance performance, eye hand coordination, speed or reaction time etc.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Lawrence Philips showed up to games drunk and his coach covered for him.
Any professional athlete that smokes pot to get high before a game is a complete idiot and would not be in the NFL for long. This action would not enhance performance, eye hand coordination, speed or reaction time etc.

Right, therefore it wouldn't be an issue.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
What would hold up in court? Whether or not a player violated team rules by showing up to practice or a game after smoking a joint? What?

And that swab test is used in court all the time. Violating parole, for instance.... or, it could be used to find players using drugs that are against team rules, period.

Your argument has zero logic involved man. I'm starting to think you're just trolling me at this point.

Let me rephrase this situation: What makes you think that just because something wouldn't be banned, players would start abusing it?

Give me any instance last season where a player showed up before a game drunk off his ass. I'll wait.

You're just actually taking what I said out of context.

Let me explain...

You made a statement saying that players wouldn't show up to practice high on THC because they don't show up to practice drunk.
And I'm saying it's a lot easier to get away with being under the influence at practice (or wherever) ON THC and get away with it than it is to get away with being drunk. For the following reason, there is no test out there that actually test if you are high AT THAT MOMENT on THC. Yes you can swab the mouth, however it will only show that you have THC in your system and it does not show if you're under the influence at that moment. Thus creating SPECULATIVE EVIDENCE.
Furthermore THC stays in your system for a minimum 30 days before test stop being positive for Marijuana.

And bruh, no one is trolling you I simply have a very different opinion than yourself.

PS I'm an avid pot smoker so I really have no agenda, just seeing it being a legal nightmare.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
You made a statement saying that players wouldn't show up to practice high on THC because they don't show up to practice drunk.
And I'm saying it's a lot easier to get away with being under the influence at practice (or wherever) ON THC and get away with it than it is to get away with being drunk.

But players wouldn't do either because it would massively impact their performance. It's not a matter of getting away with whatever, and I'm not sure why you're so stuck on that.

If a player shows up to a game or practice stoned, A) it would be obvious and B) obviously against team rules. The player would then get reprimanded by the team, as they do now, too. I'm not sure why you think there would be legal proceedings for a player showing up to work stoned.

Like I said, your argument is totally baseless.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
But players wouldn't do either because it would massively impact their performance.

Like I said, your argument is totally baseless.

Dudes show up all the time to my jujitsu classes high AF. They also compete high AF and do just fine....They actually believe they perform better when high because it calms their nerves. I do disagree with it because I've tried and it and doesn't work for me. But what works for me doesn't necessarily work for everyone else. So no, it's not totally baseless.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
It's funny... Me personally, I still jones for weed and I haven't smoked it in 28 years.

I've read that an estimated 25% of folks who smoke it are genetically inclined to addiction to it, and if that's true I'm one of them.

Out of curiosity, and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, do you have an addictive personality? Do you find that when you quit one thing it morphs into some other addiction? This has always been my problem which is why I steer clear of everything.

When I first joined a 12-step program in 1980, I was amazed at how much cigarette smoking and coffee drinking those folks did, lol. After a short time I found myself, like them, free of alcohol and drugs but guzzling coffee and smoking like a chimney. The caffeine and nicotine habits were much tougher for me to break than the alcohol and drugs.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Out of curiosity, and you don't have to answer this if you don't want to, do you have an addictive personality? Do you find that when you quit one thing it morphs into some other addiction? This has always been my problem which is why I steer clear of everything.

When I first joined a 12-step program in 1980, I was amazed at how much cigarette smoking and coffee drinking those folks did, lol. After a short time I found myself, like them, free of alcohol and drugs but guzzling coffee and smoking like a chimney. The caffeine and nicotine habits were much tougher for me to break than the alcohol and drugs.

Strangely, no. I have willpower. I am an alcoholic as I have been drinking since I was young, started when I was around 15ish and never let up until recently when I decided I needed to assume control (I'm 48 now). That was last year. Since that time I have a drink now and then with my buds and sometimes decide to cut loose (like after we hired McVay lol) but not often. I still have control but I know my days of non-stop partying in foreign ports are over.

Had to cut back on coffee too. It's a big deal in the service lol, but now I only have one maybe two cups a day. And cigarettes I had a hell of a time quitting in my 20s but since then I will smoke them occasionally if I'm out drinkin with buddies.

I just have a weird connection with the weed. Of all the drugs I did when I was a kid it's the one I miss. Very strange.

~lyser

Rookie
Doc Ellis threw a no hitter on LSD.

I read Lawrence Taylor dropped before a game once - scary thought.

When I was a kid, I played "Gaunlet" for three hours straight on a single quarter on some really strong blotter (you have to be the elf - speed is the name of the game).

None of the above facts have anything to do with anything, I just felt they were appropriate here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
The WORLD should lift its ban on marijuana.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Interesting conversation here. I could throw out this when aggressive healthy young adult males are under the influence they would not be beating or assaulting their wife's or girlfriends or family members like they would if using alcohol.

Most know I come from an over 30 yr vocation in the Law Enforcement, even I think its way past time to remove all our federal & state laws on this weed out of the felony side & move towards looking at it much like alcohol is now. So much of the Criminal Justice time & tax $$ is wasted on this weed issue when these efforts could be directed to the more serious drugs which cause loss of life.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Doc Ellis threw a no hitter on LSD.

I read Lawrence Taylor dropped before a game once - scary thought.

When I was a kid, I played "Gaunlet" for three hours straight on a single quarter on some really strong blotter (you have to be the elf - speed is the name of the game).

None of the above facts have anything to do with anything, I just felt they were appropriate here.

I once drove my VW Bug 30+ miles from Santa Clara, CA to the beach at Santa Cruz on Highway 17, which in parts has extreme curves, while on a hit of acid. This does not add anything to the conversation but the way this thread is going, why not? Btw the sky at 2 am is not supposed to be bright red. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cit17Si-Vts

~lyser

Rookie
I once drove my VW Bug 30+ miles from Santa Clara, CA to the beach at Santa Cruz on Highway 17, which in parts has extreme curves, while on a hit of acid. This does not add anything to the conversation but the way this thread is going, why not? Btw the sky at 2 am is not supposed to be bright red. :)

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cit17Si-Vts

Just one hit? You just have to think of your car as an over-sized crayon driving in a coloring book - try not to go outside the lines.