Our Defense after 10 games ... what do you think?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes, for 2019 and beyond. No hurry though, his franchise tag may actually be less than a negotiated contract.

We should hurry. We don't need him holding out again, and we don't need this turning into a Kirk Cousins type situation.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Pay. The. Man. His impact goes far beyond those stats. He's the only guy on our team who has consistently pressured the QB this year. Football is more than a box score.

We are absolute idiots if we let the best defensive player in football walk. Pay him.

Are you in the “whatever he wants” camp, jrry32?

I’m not. My ceiling is $20 million per for a minimum of 5 years.

Until he agrees to such terms, I’m perfectly willing to pay him the $6.9 for ‘18 and tag him twice in ‘19-‘20.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you in the “whatever he wants” camp, jrry32?

I’m not. My ceiling is $20 million per for a minimum of 5 years.

Until he agrees to such terms, I’m perfectly willing to pay him the $6.9 for ‘18 and tag him twice in ‘19-‘20.

I'm in the pay him the market value of his services camp.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is there any hope for the run defense or is this a lack of talent issue that will not resolve itself this season?

Yes. But for the run defense to function, we need our CBs healthy.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
We should hurry. We don't need him holding out again, and we don't need this turning into a Kirk Cousins type situation.

I'm just not feeling the urgency some fans are. Should Demoff/Snead & Donald's agent reach a successful settlement on a long-term contract, that would be great, but if they don't manage that for 2018, not only will he remain well paid with his 5'th year option, the Rams may have an extra $8 - $9mil. in available CAP to spend elsewhere. I can't say how long the Rams window will be open for adding enough fire-power to make us a perennial play-off contender, but a few extra bucks is more help than harm in helping get us over the hump.
Kirk Cousins is in a unique position being a QB, not only is he receiving $24mil., but I don't value a DT the same way I would a QB, even if Donald is the GOAT at his position. We may never know the details which led to last years breakdown in negotiations, and now that Donald may be designated a DE rather than DT, moving from a 4-3 to a 3-4, you can bet that may also be adding to the stalemate. 2017 Franchise Tagged Defensive end: $16.988m & Defensive tackle: $14.770m leaves more than a $2mil. discrepancy. If we are going to make comparisons, i'd think looking at Ndamukong Suh's may be a better example, and if what we heard earlier in the year is true about Donald wishing to best Suh's 6 year, near $115.mil, $50.mil. guarantee, how will this affect our teams growth going forward. Miami has 1 winning season in the 3 since they signed that huge contract, they are also looking at a troubling CAP with 16 potential free agents in 2018. Suh's CAP hit in 2018 is over $26.mil., and they need a QB.
My only point here is that considering all that can go wrong with a player and his team, whether it be injury or otherwise, tying up so much money in a single player could come back to haunt us. If the Rams stick to the present contract, they don't overpay in 2018, and they very well may be able to franchise tag Donald for 2019 & 2020 while remaining under what a new negotiated contract would cost. Where with a franchised player we'd be paying top 5 money at his position, a new individual contract will have us paying # 1 overall compensation. After 2020, i'm not too concerned with at the moment as he'll be getting ready to turn 30 years old with no guarantee of still being the best in the league. jmo.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I'm in the pay him the market value of his services camp.

Well, what does that even mean, jrry?

Hell, I think that $20 million per IS the top sane market value for an All Pro DT!

One that we control for MUCH less if he still refuses to extend. I’m not a big fan of negotiating with myself.

Geez. Let’s save a little money for other needs, okay?

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
we held the Vikings to 7 points with our starters so I think we just need some depth. also no way I pay AD 20m a year we can get OLB pass rushers for way less

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, what does that even mean, jrry?

Hell, I think that $20 million per IS the top sane market value for an All Pro DT!

One that we control for MUCH less if he still refuses to extend. I’m not a big fan of negotiating with myself.

Geez. Let’s save a little money for other needs, okay?

That means making him the highest paid defender in football, which would be around $20 million per year.

we held the Vikings to 7 points with our starters so I think we just need some depth. also no way I pay AD 20m a year we can get OLB pass rushers for way less

No, you can't. The top OLB pass rushers get paid $16 million to $18 million per year. So you're signing a lesser player at a slightly cheaper rate. I'm not sure how that's at all an improvement.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
That means making him the highest paid defender in football, which would be around $20 million per year.

No, you can't. The top OLB pass rushers get paid $16 million to $18 million per year. So you're signing a lesser player at a slightly cheaper rate. I'm not sure how that's at all an improvement.

everyone thinks we need top players at every position well it doesn't work that way any more you cant afford to do it. you need above average players at key positions that's how you win. you cant keep paying all these guys top money you have to sacrifice in certain areas and DT is not a top 5 position it just isn't. you can put a average or a little above average player there and be successful

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
everyone thinks we need top players at every position well it doesn't work that way any more you cant afford to do it. you need above average players at key positions that's how you win. you cant keep paying all these guys top money you have to sacrifice in certain areas and DT is not a top 5 position it just isn't. you can put a average or a little above average player there and be successful

Any player that consistently pressures the QB is playing in a top 5 position. A guy like Donald who does that and stuffs the run is playing at a top 2 position.

No, people think you need top players at some positions with good, above average, and average players mixed in around them. You don't let elite players walk to sign a couple above average guys. Above average guys aren't hard to find. And if you have great coaches, your schemes and player development will elevate guys into above average players who weren't highly valued by the rest of the NFL (see Nickell Robey-Coleman). You can't elevate an average player into Aaron Donald.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
$20 per year to Donald is just too much ... BECAUSE a team has to consider where it currently is and what it's current glaring weaknesses are and then be honest with themselves with the following questions:

Do we tie $20,000,000 per yer up on 1 great defensive linemen and get toasted at LB and DB every game?

Or do we offer him a ton of money that won't break the bank ($16 million per year) and spend the extra
$4 million per year on other needed players?

It all comes down to "Will the team go deep into the playoffs or to the super bowl because of that one player?"

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
$20 per year to Donald is just too much ... BECAUSE a team has to consider where it currently is and what it's current glaring weaknesses are and then be honest with themselves with the following questions:

Do we tie $20,000,000 per yer up on 1 great defensive linemen and get toasted at LB and DB every game?

Or do we offer him a ton of money that won't break the bank ($16 million per year) and spend the extra
$4 million per year on other needed players?

It all comes down to "Will the team go deep into the playoffs or to the super bowl because of that one player?"

It doesn't much matter what you offer him. You have to be able to sign him. I'm also not sure how paying Donald gets us toasted at LB and DB every game. And I'm not sure how $4 million takes us from being toasted every game to problem solved.

You don't pinch pennies with elite players. I bet the Eagles didn't say, "You know what, I'm glad we didn't give Reggie White that huge contract that he wanted."

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I'm also not sure how paying Donald gets us toasted at LB and DB every game.

It was obviously an example showing we have glaring needs elsewhere on defense. If you cannot afford to pay LBs and DBs a decent wage then likely they will not be very good players. Try offering Tru $8 million per year because you've spent all your money on Donald. See how that goes.

BriansRams

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
It doesn't much matter what you offer him. You have to be able to sign him.

No. I was saying to literally offer him what we are able to afford, and if he doesn't take it, trade him for mega picks and players, or franchise him the next 2 years.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know why this has turned into another "get rid of Donald" thread, but I've spent more than enough time on this topic. I'm not going to bother going into detail anymore because these conversations don't ever lead anywhere productive.

It was obviously an example showing we have glaring needs elsewhere on defense. If you cannot afford to pay LBs and DBs a decent wage then likely they will not be very good players. Try offering Tru $8 million per year because you've spent all your money on Donald. See how that goes.

Not a legitimate concern.

No. I was saying to literally offer him what we are able to afford, and if he doesn't take it, trade him for mega picks and players, or franchise him the next 2 years.

Bad plan.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike

Agreed...Nothing good can come out of needless acrimony caused by footdragging IMO..If they intend to sign him long term, why risk alienating him with the tag bullshit...

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
It doesn't much matter what you offer him. You have to be able to sign him. I'm also not sure how paying Donald gets us toasted at LB and DB every game. And I'm not sure how $4 million takes us from being toasted every game to problem solved.

You don't pinch pennies with elite players. I bet the Eagles didn't say, "You know what, I'm glad we didn't give Reggie White that huge contract that he wanted."

I don't think they ever won a bowl with him either, though.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m now in agreement with jrry32 on this AD contract topic. FWIW. Lol.

The agreement about a ceiling of $20 million was our only bone of contention.

I think all of his other points about AD’s value are solid.