Our Defense after 10 games ... what do you think?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Ok so we have some talented players on defense, we all know that. But we're not a scary defense. Let's get your opinion about our defense. It doesn't have to be a vent and all negative, just your thoughts and opinions from watching our games.

Here's a few of my thoughts:

Will the 3-4 ever work well and consistently this season? It currently is not. And 10 games into the season I don't think we can go with the "still getting used to it" excuse. Crazy ton of rushing yards we're giving up every week. And people are passing pretty easy on us too.

Wade had our corners playing 8-10 yards off on 3rd and short, even mid 4th quarter when we REALLY needed them to punt. What is that about?

Our D-line is not "fearsome" this year. Why? What is needed?

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Wade's playing our CBs this way because they're not HIS kind of CBs and there's only so much you can do.

We need man CBs to play it. I think we'll see a lot of turnover on the DBs.

I think Barron is okay at ILB with Tree, but both OLBs need to improve. We need at LEAST one guy who can get home fast.

And we need a legit 3-4 NT. I suspect we'll either get an FA NT or draft a hogmolley in round 2 or 3.

NT, OLB, CB. Those are our biggest needs. Oh, and C for offense. Sully has been good, but we need to be stronger at the point of attack.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Our defense is good but not great. Without NRC and Webster, we're bad. We lack depth, and we could use some upgrades this off-season.

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well said .
I really have little faith in crunch time.
They could've kept this game closer with a few stops today.
AD's careless penalty was costly even though it was a bad call . No reason to give Keenum that extra push .
Back up CB's were awful and if they can't play press coverage you better give them help and quit blitzing everyone.
Watching Quinn play is mind numbing . He's either running by the QB by 5 yards and completely out of the play or laying on the ground. 1 play a game would be an improvement. He's gone after this year
I'd say we'll find out when Brees comes to town. It could be ugly if they don't figure it out .
They play great when we have the lead , but just look at Keenums numbers today . Not good

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
NT, OLB, CB. Those are our biggest needs. Oh, and C for offense. Sully has been good, but we need to be stronger at the point of attack.

CB is the number one need. We lose Trumaine and NRC most likely to FA this offseason, that's 2/3 of our starters. Need to get Wade at least one shutdown, legit #1 CB and you get those in the draft. I'd also get Wade a project type with some natural man skills midrounds and let him tool him up.

Rush OLB is a huge need too. Quinn's too easily slowed now by opposing LTs.

Agree on NT. We need help there and could use another young ILB on the depth chart.

I don't see any way around this being a defensive draft.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not wanting to be mean or negative but ... are any of us 100% sure Wade is sticking around next season? He'll be 71 years old. It would be horrible to start building defensive players in draft and FA around this 3-4 style, and then all of a sudden Wade retires.

:bueller:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
There's no indication that he wants to be one and done, but one never knows.

The future is promised to no one.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
The defense is what it’s been for a few years. Highly predicated on pressure. If we don’t get home, 90% of the time it’s a completion. I agree we need better man cover guys. Webster is a 4th guy. I love NRC in the slot and think he’s one of the best in the game. I don’t even remember him going down. Injuries really did us in this game.

The defense as a whole needs to create more pressure. The run defense is what it is. The crutch of our team. Right now, we will be lucky to go 10-6. I’ll still be happy because we have a very long, bright future. But that might not be good enough for the playoffs. We have to hope Seattle keeps losing. Because the Saints are better then the Vikings. At everything.

MachS

Hall of Fame
We cannot stop the run consistently and with the Saints coming to town this week...my god please get it fixed.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I’m still not convinced we have the personnel for a 3 - 4 defense. Even Wade’s version of it.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Defense needs improvement, we’ll be looking to improve that via draft or FA, especially with DBs.

Not wanting to be mean or negative but ... are any of us 100% sure Wade is sticking around next season? He'll be 71 years old. It would be horrible to start building defensive players in draft and FA around this 3-4 style, and then all of a sudden Wade retires.

:bueller:

Doubt McVay would’ve hired Phillips if he was in for a short term gig. Best guess is that he’s staying long enough for McVay to understand managing a defense, he probably already has a successor on the positional coaching staff on defense

fearsomefour

Legend
CB is the number one need. We lose Trumaine and NRC most likely to FA this offseason, that's 2/3 of our starters. Need to get Wade at least one shutdown, legit #1 CB and you get those in the draft. I'd also get Wade a project type with some natural man skills midrounds and let him tool him up.

Rush OLB is a huge need too. Quinn's too easily slowed now by opposing LTs.

Agree on NT. We need help there and could use another young ILB on the depth chart.

I don't see any way around this being a defensive draft.
No reason to lose both. Rams have a ton of cap space. I would imagine Tru might be singable at a number below the franchise number.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
We cannot stop the run consistently and with the Saints coming to town this week...my god please get it fixed.

McVay will be on the line with Jay Gruden for intel on the Saints

fearsomefour

Legend
With the injuries in the d backfield today the Rams played to prevent big plays. With the assistance of two missed FGs it wasn't a bad plan. No help from the O today at all.
But no blitzing at all really and soft off the receivers.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
No reason to lose both. Rams have a ton of cap space. I would imagine Tru might be singable at a number below the franchise number.

Rams need a shutdown corner. Signing Tru is unlikely because he is a #2 that wants elite money.

Our #2 under contract is Webster and he really needs to learn how to play the MFing ball in the air.

NRC might re-sign, depends on how FA market looks. But CB remains a huge need IMO.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I think that Wade knows exactly what he needs for next year.

And I think that Snead is gonna pretty much get it for him.

But that can’t happen until next offseason.

I think that Wade is gonna be forced to “make do” for the rest of this year. And the playoffs. Lol.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We get absolute zero production from Quinn and Barwin
It was comical today watching Minnesota handle Quinn