Our Defense after 10 games ... what do you think?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A55VA6

Legend
Depth @ CB is bad. Tru, Webster, NRC are pretty good. But Troy Hill and Hatfield... not good. Can Countess play CB? I'd rather have him out there instead of Hatfield.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Phillips is "McGivering" the defense... using the personnel from a 4-3 to be effective in a 3-4.

Not an easy task but, IMO, all things considered, it's gone fairly well.

Once he's able to get some more players that better fit his scheme.. and take the cream off the current roster, the defense could be something really special!

This is going to take a little time... but giving up an average of a little more than 18PPG? Not damned bad.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We get absolute zero production from Quinn and Barwin
It was comical today watching Minnesota handle Quinn
Disagree a little on Quinn. Watched the game past night... yeah, he "out ran" some rushes... but he had one great stop behind the LOS and I believe I saw a nice sack in there.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disagree a little on Quinn. Watched the game past night... yeah, he "out ran" some rushes... but he had one great stop behind the LOS and I believe I saw a nice sack in there.
He had the one stuff on the run, that was it. No sacks in the game. He was run out of every pass play.

nighttrain

Legend
for some reason i cannot find any mention anywhere of Tyrunn Walker in regards to last weeks game, what happened?
train

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He had the one stuff on the run, that was it. No sacks in the game. He was run out of every pass play.
I swear he had a sack... but could be wrong... but I specifically recall two plays that were outstanding... not one.

I know he's become a favorite whipping boy and I saw him over run rushes too... but I also saw two really good plays.

I know you (and others) are not going to move off your positions... but I don't think he's been quite as bad as he's being portrayed.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I swear he had a sack... but could be wrong... but I specifically recall two plays that were outstanding... not one.

I know he's become a favorite whipping boy and I saw him over run rushes too... but I also saw two really good plays.

I know you (and others) are not going to move off your positions... but I don't think he's been quite as bad as he's being portrayed.
No sacks, no QB hurries. Barwin got in on a QB hit but Quinn was nowhere.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=400951775
He did make an outstanding stop on a run play. But he's playing significant snaps at OLB and out of the play on pass plays. He's no "whipping boy" of mine, I just expect more production out an OLB than a mere 19 tackles in 10 games
And you should include yourself in the not moving off your position bit, thats what makes this place interesting. Various opinions

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK so Aaron Donald so far this season has:

18 Tackles
5 Sacks

Divided by 9 games = 2 tackles, Half a sack per game.

A realistic question one might ask is, "Is that production worth $18,000,000-ish per year?"
Should we invest that kind of money in him? Or use it on many other needed positions?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OK so Aaron Donald so far this season has:

18 Tackles
5 Sacks

Divided by 9 games = 2 tackles, Half a sack per game.

A realistic question one might ask is, "Is that production worth $18,000,000-ish per year?"
Should we invest that kind of money in him? Or use it on many other needed positions?

Pay. The. Man. His impact goes far beyond those stats. He's the only guy on our team who has consistently pressured the QB this year. Football is more than a box score.

We are absolute idiots if we let the best defensive player in football walk. Pay him.

Memphis Ram

Legend

Did he have any bull rushes mixed in or did he speed rush all day.

For the life of me I wish he could determine within his first few steps if he's going to beat a guy around the corner and shift his speed rush to a bull rush or spin using the OTs momentum again him.

…..

Legend
Defense....

Speed and athleticism not lacking at all. Size and power an obvious need at LB. Winning at the LOS is apparently an issue. Rushing defense is inconsistent to say the least.

This defense can take over games at times but not often enough. We need turnovers to succeed. It seems like we make a living off of guessing the right defensive plays, evidenced by the good amount of TFL's we get vs the good amount of big plays we give up. Feast or famine.

I suspect a surprising effort upcoming against the Saints. But true to our form, a let down against a lesser opponent should be expected.

While we have a few great pieces in our defense, its just not a great unit. Can be with the right moves, but not this year. You cant guess correctly all the time, but that's what we need to try and do to overcome the lack of beef at LB

Primary needs are LB, LB, and LB

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hawks just released Dwight Freeney (sp?). He has had three sacks this year so far. Anyone interested?