Our Defense after 10 games ... what do you think?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
There's no indication that he wants to be one and done, but one never knows.

The future is promised to no one.
Wade seems in general good spirits in his pressers...team is winning...LeBeau is 80, isn’t he?
I bet he’s back next year.

TexasRam

Legend
I wonder if we could make a trade for someone like Chris Harris jr. If the broncos are going to go into rebuild
Mode. I’d give up draft picks for a shutdown corner, half the price of Trumaine.

We could really upgrade in a lot of places, NT, edge rusher, and we really need to re-sign DRC.

I would also like to see Ogletree blitz more, he is horrible in pass coverage.

But I still like our defense right now, they really shutdown Minnesota until our DBs got hurt.

fearsomefour

Legend
Rams need a shutdown corner. Signing Tru is unlikely because he is a #2 that wants elite money.

Our #2 under contract is Webster and he really needs to learn how to play the MFing ball in the air.

NRC might re-sign, depends on how FA market looks. But CB remains a huge need IMO.
I don't know what a "shutdown" corner would look like now. I think Trunis a very good CB. I don't think he will get $17M in FA. If he can then good look to him. As I said, if he could be resigned at a lower cap number it is worth doing to me.

fearsomefour

Legend
I wonder if we could make a trade for someone like Chris Harris jr. If the broncos are going to go into rebuild
Mode. I’d give up draft picks for a shutdown corner, half the price of Trumaine.

We could really upgrade in a lot of places, NT, edge rusher, and we really need to re-sign DRC.

I would also like to see Ogletree blitz more, he is horrible in pass coverage.

But I still like our defense right now, they really shutdown Minnesota until our DBs got hurt.
Have to have some picks to trade don't have a second and 5th I think.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Defense plays really well when healthy, can't expect Hatfield to shut down their best WR.

I don't mind them giving up some yards in the run game as long as they can limit big plays .

They seemed too aggressve up front yesterday and AD consistently over ran the play, they missed at least 2 sacks on keenum that turned into big plays . just a sloppy game that im sure wade will fix ..He needs to because saints are up next!!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ok so we have some talented players on defense, we all know that. But we're not a scary defense. Let's get your opinion about our defense. It doesn't have to be a vent and all negative, just your thoughts and opinions from watching our games.

Here's a few of my thoughts:

Will the 3-4 ever work well and consistently this season? It currently is not. And 10 games into the season I don't think we can go with the "still getting used to it" excuse. Crazy ton of rushing yards we're giving up every week. And people are passing pretty easy on us too.

Wade had our corners playing 8-10 yards off on 3rd and short, even mid 4th quarter when we REALLY needed them to punt. What is that about?

Our D-line is not "fearsome" this year. Why? What is needed?
The Rams secondary is in trouble..mainly @ CB. The corners outside of Trumaine Johnson are weak as a unit. NR-C is a good nickle but he has issues playing on the outside due to his size & poor tackling. Webster is disappointing & do not ask him to stay on the field & play healthy. Your asking too much. Rams put the great find 2017 discovery @ corner named Dom Hatfield in the main showcase window in the 2nd half ...it was UGLY. Troy Hill has spent most of his 2017 season either suspended or injured or hurt or all three of them & he has rarely seen the field too.

Currently outside of Trumaine Johnson the Rams only healthy & best coverage DB's are both his starting safeties rookie JJ III & LJ. I would suggest to Wade might get both LJ & JJ a ton of corner action this week in practice & let those 2 second season safeties Countess & Christian see more of the safety posts. Neither Countess or Christian can cover a slow NT used as slot receiver.

The emerging ongoing issues on run defense will deny this rookie McVay Ram team any smell of the 2017 wild card playoffs. A quick emergency plan must be put into action to temporarily plug this run D up. I suggest Wade to move Brockers back to NT quickly. Backed up with good Tyrunn Walker & go ahead & activate hugh NT rookie Omarius Bryant too. Get this big run defense issue resolved. Use these good young DE's Fox & Westbrooks to replace the Brockers @ DE till the run defense is PLUGGED.

Quinn played most all of the Viking games as starting OLB'er keeping Longacre on the bench most of the time. Longacre came up injured early last week. Quinn performance was pathetic. Samson Ebukam & Cory Littleton must get more action @ OLB'er. They are positive future Lb'ers ...deactivate Quinn when Longacre is healthy.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I don't know what a "shutdown" corner would look like now. I think Trunis a very good CB. I don't think he will get $17M in FA. If he can then good look to him. As I said, if he could be resigned at a lower cap number it is worth doing to me.

The Rams have been trying to sign Trumaine for 2 years now. I mean sure, anything's possible, but it's just real unlikely they manage to come to terrms with him on an affordable (#2 level) deal. Usually when a player can't be signed over 2 years the result is he takes best offer anywhere else. On the FA market some stupid team or two will offer way more than the Rams will, just the way it usually works out in this type situation.

But let's play what if. IF they sign Trumaine for a #2 range deal then what? They still need a shutdown CB on the back end to bolster this pass defense. CB remains a need regardless of what they do with Tru. It will be the single biggest way to improve this defense.

After that is edge OLB. Someone who can put up consistent pressures but also drop if needed by scheme. Those two upgrades would put the Rams defense into elite range but even then they will also need some depth pieces.

fearsomefour

Legend
The Rams have been trying to sign Trumaine for 2 years now. I mean sure, anything's possible, but it's just real unlikely they manage to come to terrms with him on an affordable (#2 level) deal. Usually when a player can't be signed over 2 years the result is he takes best offer anywhere else. On the FA market some stupid team or two will offer way more than the Rams will, just the way it usually works out in this type situation.

But let's play what if. IF they sign Trumaine for a #2 range deal then what? They still need a shutdown CB on the back end to bolster this pass defense. CB remains a need regardless of what they do with Tru. It will be the single biggest way to improve this defense.

After that is edge OLB. Someone who can put up consistent pressures but also drop if needed by scheme. Those two upgrades would put the Rams defense into elite range but even then they will also need some depth pieces.
I don't know what "shut down" corner means now a days, as CBs are barely allowed to play defense.
This is why any CB bringing in the money he is is overpriced. That said, I do think he is one of the better CBs in the league and would worth keeping if needed.
I will say again, even if he is resigned I am using the first round pick no a CB this coming draft.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know what "shut down" corner means now a days, as CBs are barely allowed to play defense.
This is why any CB bringing in the money he is is overpriced. That said, I do think he is one of the better CBs in the league and would worth keeping if needed.
I will say again, even if he is resigned I am using the first round pick no a CB this coming draft.

What "shut down" corner means is a CB who can remove the opposing offense's top receiver on most snaps in a game. Trumaine cannot do that. He can often snuff out a good offense's second best receiver, but that's not what he's looking for in money.

But at least we're in agreement on the need for a CB in the draft. It's a huge need for us moving forward. You don't get shutdown guys very often on the FA market, way to get them is the draft and if you find one the impact on a defense is profound.

fearsomefour

Legend
What "shut down" corner means is a CB who can remove the opposing offense's top receiver on most snaps in a game. Trumaine cannot do that. He can often snuff out a good offense's second best receiver, but that's not what he's looking for in money.

But at least we're in agreement on the need for a CB in the draft. It's a huge need for us moving forward. You don't get shutdown guys very often on the FA market, way to get them is the draft and if you find one the impact on a defense is profound.
True.
But where the Rams are drafting it is not likely they get one either....it can happen, but, its like trying to find a pro bowler at any spot. Good luck...
I still bringing him back along with the performers we already have and drafting a CB....trying to go 4 or 5 deep as opposed to having one stud, is the way to go.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
True.
But where the Rams are drafting it is not likely they get one either....it can happen, but, its like trying to find a pro bowler at any spot. Good luck...
I still bringing him back along with the performers we already have and drafting a CB....trying to go 4 or 5 deep as opposed to having one stud, is the way to go.

I do like Tru. If the Rams can get him signed for a reasonable deal I am all for it. Just don't expect to see it since he's held out as long as he has. Signing him and drafting a top young CB prospect allows them to retain Kayvon as a depth option or hold it down as the kid comes online. Flexibility is good in that approach, it's just gonna come down to the business side of it, cost vs production.

Oh and btw lower half of round one has been a good spot to nab corners overall. Haven't really done a lot of looking at this class yet due to the Rams winning so much this year, but I suspect we'll be nicely positioned for CB and edge OLB, maybe even an impact ILB type, in that 20-31 range.

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Ok so we have some talented players on defense, we all know that. But we're not a scary defense. Let's get your opinion about our defense. It doesn't have to be a vent and all negative, just your thoughts and opinions from watching our games.

Here's a few of my thoughts:

Will the 3-4 ever work well and consistently this season? It currently is not. And 10 games into the season I don't think we can go with the "still getting used to it" excuse. Crazy ton of rushing yards we're giving up every week. And people are passing pretty easy on us too.

Wade had our corners playing 8-10 yards off on 3rd and short, even mid 4th quarter when we REALLY needed them to punt. What is that about?

Our D-line is not "fearsome" this year. Why? What is needed?
This last week was the 1st week I've noticed them playing back so far, couldn't understand why they where doing it, and I still don't!!

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Quinn played most all of the Viking games as starting OLB'er keeping Longacre on the bench most of the time. Quinn performance was pathetic. Samson Ebukam & Cory Littleton must get more action @ OLB'er.

Sigh. I agree. Quinn is either on the ground on his stomach or 5 yards too far upfield over-running the play. I just don't understand how that same thing can go on for this long.

My current question then is WHY ... doesn't Wade see this and take away some of Quinn's snaps?

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I’d be tempted to put Ogletree in Quinn’s spot but he’s not strong enough to hold the edge on outside runs, nor is he good at engaging linemen and shedding blocks from the inside. He and Barron are both MO linebacker types...run, hit, cover. We need physical corners like Tru so I’m not so quick to toss him aside and hopefully winning helps him become reasonable about his demands. Still don’t understand why Donald hasn’t signed. But, yeah, we need a wide body at NT to protect Barron and Tree inside. We are fine at safety, so that’s a plus. Barwin is holding his own but we need to be grooming his replacement.

I believe MN executed a good game plan and the Rams defense held them down fairly well for three quarters. The defense is good enough. But our offense hibernates when good DLines get sufficient push. That’s my greatest concern.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
My current question then is WHY ... doesn't Wade see this and take away some of Quinn's snaps?
That's my mindset towards this. Week in and week out it's the same tired story "Quinn sucks!" etc., and every week he's still out there. So either the coaches feel that his play isn't as bad as some/most fans do, or there isn't anyone to replace him. This coaching staff hasn't been afraid to bench or even cut a player who isn't living up to thier expectation. It might happen soon, or it might not happen at all.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Sigh. I agree. Quinn is either on the ground on his stomach or 5 yards too far upfield over-running the play. I just don't understand how that same thing can go on for this long.

Here's what I have seen thus far on the Rob Quinn post. If any other member has seen something different I am interested from your point of view......

The Rob Quinn post (WS/ OLB'er) in pre season was mainly occupied by Matt Longacre. ML started 3 gms in this post & did very well. Ejuan Price started the other game. We also saw Carlos Thompson some too before he was injured. Those were the main 3 but there were many other too. 4th rd pick rookie Samson Ebukam spent most of TC & most all of pre season injured. He did start @ the (SS/OLB'er) post on the final pre season game. This particular player injury might have caused Wade some serious delay in his plans on these 2 OLB'er posts IMO.

7th rd. pick Rookie Price got a good amount of action in pre seasons but was slow to be effective & not all that good. 2nd year Carlos Thompson was injured for most all 2015 & all of 2016 seasons & then got injured again in pre season...did not help either. Thompson is not a good fit @ the Rob Quinn post but better suited for the Conner Barwin post.

Rob Quinn's first game action came with the first regular season game No warm up games period! Matt Longacre was the primary reserve. This has not changed until last weeks game when Ejuan Price was finally activated & saw most a some relief action due to Matt Longacre's back injury.

Since the Seattle loss ML has been seeing more & more action. His on field overall performance run/pass was surpassing Rob Quinn's. Matt Longacre saw most of the HD action in the Giants & Texans gms with very positive results. However ML back came up on the injury list after the Texan game & he missed all but last Fridays practice. Thus Wade was forced to go heavy with the healthy Rob Quinn in the Viking game with Rookie Ejaun Price as the primary reserve. ML did not see any action against the Vikings...think it show'd?:thinking::sick:

Besides dealing with the back injury to ML Wade was dealing with a knee injury to Conner Barwin last week. CB played injured with this bad knee & his performance was below par on the SSLB'er post. Ebukam saw his heaviest action against the Vikings due to CB injury. Without healthy Longacre & Barwin the Rams Defense played poorly or like :poop:.

The best Wade can do @ this point is hope that ML & CB's injuries get better plus working with the two OSLB'er rookies in getting better @ their positions. I am sure Wade knows fully that Rob Quinn is a liability when he is on the field. But Quinn is a well seasoned veteran even @ his young age (27) & Rob is healthy so Wade is forced to utilize this highly paid vet until Longacre/ Barwin/Ebukam & Price can get better.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Matt Longacre saw most of the HD action in the Giants & Texans gms with very positive results. However ML back came up on the injury list after the Texan game & he missed all but last Fridays practice. Thus Wade was forced to go heavy with the healthy Rob Quinn in the Viking game with Rookie Ejaun Price as the primary reserve. ML did not see any action against the Vikings...think it show'd?:thinking::sick:
Aside from recovering a fumble that Barwin couldn't recover Longacre was fairly quiet in both of those games, 1 tackle and 3 assists in 2 games. He also played 20 snaps against Minn, and was very quiet, the back injury could have something to do with it. I like Longacre, he might be an upgrade over Quinn at this moment, but thats not saying much.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Aside from recovering a fumble that Barwin couldn't recover Longacre was fairly quiet in both of those games, 1 tackle and 3 assists in 2 games. He also played 20 snaps against Minn, and was very quiet, the back injury could have something to do with it. I like Longacre, he might be an upgrade over Quinn at this moment, but thats not saying much.

We finally agree (y)on this...... been a while for you & I. ML is not the long term answer that Wade needs. The only legit LB'er on the roster who may be the long term answer @ one of the 2 OSLB'er post might be the rookie Ebukam. So once the season ends the hunt for a few real good Edge Rushers will be on.:wabbit:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
The only legit LB'er on the roster who may be the long term answer @ one of the 2 OSLB'er post might be the rookie Ebukam
I like what Ebukam has done in limited action. He hasn't had much of an impact stats wise, but he jumps out in game tape. He's explosive. I think with more PT and a full offseason he could be a playmaker in this D.